RebKell's Junkie Boards
Board Junkies Forums

McConnell Serio to be offered Duquesne job

Post new topic   Reply to topic    RebKell's Junkie Boards Forum Index » NCAA Women's Basketball - General Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
bluewolfvii

PostPosted: 04/12/07 1:01 am    ::: McConnell Serio to be offered Duquesne job Reply Reply with quote

http://www.post-gazette.com/pg/07102/777361-135.stm

Great news for Pittsburgh women's college basketball, not so good news for Pitt coach Agnus Berenato and whoever takes over the Penn State women's program. Smile

KatValeska

PostPosted: 04/12/07 2:03 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Great news for Duquesne, albeit likely bad news for Pitt, PSU and WVU.

ucdt3

PostPosted: 04/12/07 2:27 am    ::: Re: McConnell Serio to be offered Duquesne job Reply Reply with quote

bluewolfvii wrote:

Great news for Pittsburgh women's college basketball, not so good news for Pitt coach Agnus Berenato and whoever takes over the Penn State women's program. Smile

why??? what does this have to do with PITT and AGNUS?? Penn St wasn't gonna hire Susie anyway

PalaceAthena

PostPosted: 04/12/07 3:09 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Great news for Duquesne. And good for SMS. It's also great news for the Atlantic 10. If Susie can build Duquesne into pretty good team, that just adds another contender to a conference that already has GW, Temple, Xavier, and to a lesser extent Saint Joseph's, Charlotte, and Richmond.

KatValeska

PostPosted: 04/12/07 10:04 am    ::: Re: McConnell Serio to be offered Duquesne job Reply Reply with quote

ucdt3 wrote:
bluewolfvii wrote:

why??? what does this have to do with PITT and AGNUS?? Penn St wasn't gonna hire Susie anyway

Um, recruiting?

SMS is a legend in the Pittsburgh area - long a hotbed for PSU and WVU and Pitt.

For example, I seriously doubt Meg Bulger goes to WVU had she been recruited by SMS to Duquesne.

PUmatty

PostPosted: 04/12/07 10:09 am    ::: Re: McConnell Serio to be offered Duquesne job Reply Reply with quote

Maybe.

What we have here is a woman with no college coaching experience at all. Her coaching experience is primarily professional, and she was pretty poor at that.

Not sure why so many think she will be such a success. There certainly isn't much besides name recognition to suggest that she will be.

I wish her well, I just don't see it happening.

bluewolfvii

PostPosted: 04/12/07 10:29 am    ::: Re: McConnell Serio to be offered Duquesne job Reply Reply with quote

PUmatty wrote:
Maybe.

What we have here is a woman with no college coaching experience at all. Her coaching experience is primarily professional, and she was pretty poor at that.

Not sure why so many think she will be such a success. There certainly isn't much besides name recognition to suggest that she will be.

Coaching and basketball are in McConnell Serio's gene pool. She has extensive coaching experience with the most storied prep team in Pittsburgh history winning championship after championship. She is a former WNBA Coach of the Year. We don't know what she would have accomplished had she continued on with the Lynx with Augustus on the roster, but what she accomplished her first season was pretty darned impressive.

Suzie has her work cut out for her at Duquesne, but my guess is that she'll do just fine. Especially with the hotbed of local talent that has been bled out of this region for years.

PUmatty

PostPosted: 04/12/07 1:13 pm    ::: Re: McConnell Serio to be offered Duquesne job Reply Reply with quote

bluewolfvii wrote:
PUmatty wrote:
Maybe.

Coaching and basketball are in McConnell Serio's gene pool. She has extensive coaching experience with the most storied prep team in Pittsburgh history winning championship after championship. She is a former WNBA Coach of the Year. We don't know what she would have accomplished had she continued on with the Lynx with Augustus on the roster, but what she accomplished her first season was pretty darned impressive.

Suzie has her work cut out for her at Duquesne, but my guess is that she'll do just fine. Especially with the hotbed of local talent that has been bled out of this region for years.

She also made the play-offs only one year, was responsible for what many consider the worst trade in WNBA history, fielded teams that more often than not looked lost and hopeless on the court, coached players that demonstrated little to no development or improvement, got fired mid-season and has zero recruiting experience.

We don't know what she would have accomplised with Augustus, but since Augustus isn't as good as Smith was when each played for the Lynx, I see little to no reason to think the team would have been much better.

But good luck to her at Duquense. I am very glad she will be there instead of Penn State. I would like to see Big 10 schools do better.

bullsky

PostPosted: 04/12/07 1:15 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

This could hurt Illinois too. Grentz recruits heavy in the Pittsburgh area.

PostPosted: 04/12/07 1:30 pm    ::: Re: McConnell Serio to be offered Duquesne job Reply Reply with quote

PUmatty wrote:
She also made the play-offs only one year, was responsible for what many consider the worst trade in WNBA history, fielded teams that more often than not looked lost and hopeless on the court, coached players that demonstrated little to no development or improvement, got fired mid-season and has zero recruiting experience.

One minor quibble: The Lynx advanced to the postseason in each of her first two seasons (2003 and 2004)...

Curious

PostPosted: 04/12/07 4:03 pm    ::: Re: McConnell Serio to be offered Duquesne job Reply Reply with quote

bluewolfvii wrote:
Coaching and basketball are in McConnell Serio's gene pool.

I suppose SMS and Pete's kids will have even stronger coaching genes in them, unless those are some seriously recessive set fo alleles. In fact, I'm going to go search now
PUmatty wrote:

But good luck to her at Duquense. I am very glad she will be there instead of Penn State. I would like to see Big 10 schools do better.

I agree, good luck to her at Duquesne, but I was really hoping to see her at PSU. It will be interesting to see how she does at the workload involved in recruiting for a mid-major college team.

bluewolfvii

PostPosted: 04/12/07 5:00 pm    ::: Re: McConnell Serio to be offered Duquesne job Reply Reply with quote

Curious wrote:
bluewolfvii wrote:
Coaching and basketball are in McConnell Serio's gene pool.

I suppose SMS and Pete's kids will have even stronger coaching genes in them, unless those are some seriously recessive set fo alleles. In fact, I'm going to go search now

I agree, good luck to her at Duquesne, but I was really hoping to see her at PSU. It will be interesting to see how she does at the workload involved in recruiting for a mid-major college team.

Heh. I'd love to do a chart on the McConnell and Serio coaching trees.

This is a good hire for Duquesne. Let's get a good hire for Penn State and complete the re-tooling of Keystone State Div.I women's college hoops!

bballfan2005

PostPosted: 04/12/07 5:13 pm    ::: Re: McConnell Serio to be offered Duquesne job Reply Reply with quote

KatValeska wrote:
Um, recruiting?

SMS is a legend in the Pittsburgh area - long a hotbed for PSU and WVU and Pitt.

No worries. Agnus will continue to collect the picked-over, "not quite ACC talent" in MD/VA/DC.

Mathies to LA 2013
Post new topic   Reply to topic    RebKell's Junkie Boards Forum Index » NCAA Women's Basketball - General Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: