RebKell's Junkie Boards
Board Junkies Forums

Jason Whitlock...great article on his take on Imus
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    RebKell's Junkie Boards Forum Index » NCAA Women's Basketball - General Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
cferraro04

PostPosted: 04/11/07 10:12 pm    ::: Jason Whitlock...great article on his take on Imus Reply Reply with quote

He really nails it here!...

http://www.kansascity.com/159/story/66339.html

dtsnms

PostPosted: 04/11/07 10:18 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Quote:
Martin Luther King Jr. spoke for eight minutes in 1963 at the March on Washington. At the time, black people could be lynched and denied fundamental rights with little thought. With the comments of a talk-show host most of her players had never heard of before last week serving as her excuse, Vivian Stringer rambled on for 30 minutes about the amazing season her team had.

wow...

womens_hoops

PostPosted: 04/11/07 10:20 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

wow is right. wow.

timber

PostPosted: 04/11/07 10:45 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing

I'm sorry, I can't help but to crack up everytime Jason gets behind a keyboard and actually convinces people there's activity in that head of his. He better hope and pray his REAL views on black women never come to the light.

Somebody get the self righteous indignation music cued up. Better yet, scratch that and cue up a good ol fashioned opportunist tune. I seriously didn't think horses rode that high.

I call him the Tape Delay Writer....because he always says something half ass that a thousand other people said with some real thought. Then once he realizes one group sees him for what he is, he goes and passes it off as some groundbreaking thought to another group who might not have the same point of reference as the previous one.

Newsflash: A whole hell of a lot of black people hate commercial rap music and the accompanying culture. A whole hell of a lot of black people hate the fact that blacks use the n word. A whole hell of a lot of black people have been saying ALL of this stuff for YEARS.

Jason has an agenda....he wants to be the "shocking" black writer not afraid to tell it like it is. Sound familiar? Talk about your double standards. In his words, "being a regular black dude didn't work."

So basically in his latest, he read a bunch of stuff by much smarter people, regurgitated the parts he liked which are always coincidentally warped to his desired context and passed it off as his own original thoughts.......as usual.

If you want to see someone dig their own grave and be intimidated by people who know enough to challenge him on his points, go to a roundtable or panel discussion with Jason Whitlock as one of the guest speakers.

He's so damn lazy. He used to be so much better than this. My favorite was the, "I'm not black" rant after the All-Star game. Comedy.

I'd rather stab my tongue repeatedly while reading a Michael Eric Dyson book on tape about the greatness of effin Tupac than another of Jason's angry, "I'm so ashamed, I'm not one of them" pearls of wisdom.

In the meantime, I think some of you need to read up on internal racism, colorism aka the color complex, the black caste system and the like if you really want to "nail it".

Fight the good fight Jason. Whatever. Laughing

PostPosted: 04/11/07 10:51 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Let me guess, he only saw half the press conference and it wasn't the half that included Essence Carson's remarks.

I can't really comment, because on the one hand, a lot of the crap that's said in modern, trendy hip-hop is ugly and appalling (what percentage of it can be understood because a lot of these guys have really awful flow). On the other hand, just because performers refer to generic hos, the RU women shouldn't have been offended when they were singled out specifically as hos? And how seriously would a crusade against misogyny and internalized racism in rap/hip-hop be taken if it were led by a women's basketball coach?

I also can't really comment because I do NOT like the way he called out Stringer, but I accept that I may not like it because I am a Rutgers fan and not for any objective reasons.

PostPosted: 04/11/07 10:54 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

I seem to recall (well, actually, I looked at my semi-transcript) that there was a question asked about rap music during the Rutgers press conference, and that Essence Carson answered it:

"I know that rap, hip-hop and other music of that genre has desensitized" people. "That doesn't make it right . . . all that matters is that it's wrong . . . We [need to get to the point where we] don't classify women as hos, we don't classify African American women as nappy-headed hos."

Interestingly, there's no reference to that here. It makes you wonder if he didn't bother to watch or didn't care to include information that didn't fit his thesis.

Oh, and CVS did not ramble for 30 minutes. It was 20 minutes, tops, and he should thank his lucky stars for that. Wink

Kamala

PostPosted: 04/11/07 10:55 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

timber wrote:

I'm sorry, I can't help but to crack up everytime Jason gets behind a keyboard and actually convinces people there's activity in that head of his. He better hope and pray his REAL views on black women never come to the light.

Somebody get the self righteous indignation music cued up. Better yet, scratch that and cue up a good ol fashioned opportunist tune. I seriously didn't think horses rode that high.

I call him the Tape Delay Writer....because he always says something half ass that a thousand other people said with some real thought. Then once he realizes one group sees him for what he is, he goes and passes it off as some groundbreaking thought to another group who might not have the same point of reference as the previous one.

Newsflash: A whole hell of a lot of black people hate commercial rap music and the accompanying culture. A whole hell of a lot of black people hate the fact that blacks use the n word. A whole hell of a lot of black people have been saying ALL of this stuff for YEARS.

Jason has an agenda....he wants to be the "shocking" black writer not afraid to tell it like it is. Sound familiar? Talk about your double standards. In his words, "being a regular black dude didn't work."

So basically in his latest, he read a bunch of stuff by much smarter people, regurgitated the parts he liked which are always coincidentally warped to his desired context and passed it off as his own original thoughts.......as usual.

If you want to see someone dig their own grave and be intimidated by people who know enough to challenge him on his points, go to a roundtable or panel discussion with Jason Whitlock as one of the guest speakers.

He's so damn lazy. He used to be so much better than this. My favorite was the, "I'm not black" rant after the All-Star game. Comedy.

I'd rather stab my tongue repeatedly while reading a Michael Eric Dyson book on tape about the greatness of effin Tupac than another of Jason's angry, "I'm so ashamed, I'm not one of them" pearls of wisdom.

In the meantime, I think some of you need to read up on internal racism, colorism aka the color complex, the black caste system and the like if you really want to "nail it".

You hit Whitlock on the head!!! You nailed him to a tee!!! Very good post!!! I love it!!!

PostPosted: 04/11/07 10:59 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Thank you Timber. The Rutgers women said as much. Problem is, there are not many women who can get music played on the airwaves if they say anything profound or strong willed so a lot of girl bballers listen to the thugs and, as a very famous bball player (then a junior in high school)told me when I asked her about 50 cent, "I turn the words around to basketball." I'm sure this whole thing has been a consciousness raiser for the Rutgers women and all girl bballers. Luckily, some of those bballers are song writers. Now they can add women's studies, black studies, history, law, and sociology to their courses if they haven't already been taking them, which, judging from what they said in their press conference, some of them are.

timber

PostPosted: 04/11/07 11:19 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Kamala wrote:
You hit Whitlock on the head!!! You nailed him to a tee!!! Very good post!!! I love it!!!

The transparency is amazing isn't it? I'm sorry, but Bill Cosby and Juan Rodriguez did it better.

I'm serious though....if you ever want to see someone trip all over themselves and not be able to back up their thoughts (because they're usually not his) go watch Jason Whitlock try to hold his own in a real discussion.

Even the laziest intellectual who's just there for the free cookies eats him alive.

PostPosted: 04/11/07 11:24 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

timber wrote:
Somebody get the self righteous indignation music cued up.

there has been more than enough self righteous indignation to go around for the last few days. (Longer than that, really.)

And isn't it possible that Whitlock is right that CVS has exploited this situation just a little bit? Doesn't he deserve a little credit for being the only one to have the courage to say so?

Mirage32

PostPosted: 04/11/07 11:24 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

timber wrote:
Kamala wrote:

The transparency is amazing isn't it? I'm sorry, but Bill Cosby and Juan Rodriguez did it better.

I'm serious though....if you ever want to see someone trip all over themselves and not be able to back up their thoughts (because they're usually not his) go watch Jason Whitlock try to hold his own in a real discussion.

Even the laziest intellectual who's just there for the free cookies eats him alive.

Yeah, it doesn't take much. Does ESPN still employ this guy?

PostPosted: 04/11/07 11:26 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Mirage32 wrote:
Does ESPN still employ this guy?

no. they blew up. he and scoop blew up.

luvDhoops

PostPosted: 04/11/07 11:33 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

timber wrote:

This gal really "nailed it" Wink

In all seriousness... POST OF THE EFFIN DECADE!

BallState1984

PostPosted: 04/12/07 6:16 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Why the bile against Jason? He call s out Sharpton and Jackson as the hucksters they are? That it is ok for Curtis Jackson and Calvin Broadaus to call women hos and treat them like shit in thier "music"?

Remember SHarpton and how he created an issuee withTawana Brawley -- and the do gooders are still making that asshole out as a savior? For those who forgot, Brawley was out past curfew and made up a story a white man raped her. Sharpton took the story and ran with it even though it was proved 10 times over it was a lie.

PostPosted: 04/12/07 7:03 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

womens_hoops wrote:
timber wrote:
Somebody get the self righteous indignation music cued up.

there has been more than enough self righteous indignation to go around for the last few days. (Longer than that, really.)

And isn't it possible that Whitlock is right that CVS has exploited this situation just a little bit? Doesn't he deserve a little credit for being the only one to have the courage to say so?

It's interesting...I didn't think CVS used it as a promotional speech, although the poor me I can't go to a final four without pain made me roll my eyes. On the other hand, EVERY TIME Mulcahy walked up to the microphone, that's EXACTLY what I thought.

MsTena-T

PostPosted: 04/12/07 7:45 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

I always have a problem with issues concerning race when the focus is shipped from the message to the messenger.

I am still trying to figure out how and why, the media and far too many non-black folks have come to the conclusion that Al Sharpton and Jesse Jackson are our "Black -Leaders" of choice and we march to the beat of their drum.

I don't think I can put together 5 black people who don't think Jesse is a joke.

cthskzfn

Location: In a world where a PSYCHOpath like Trump isn't potus.

PostPosted: 04/12/07 7:53 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

thanks for some fresh air from the media, mr. whitlock.

the longer c viv sPringer carries her cross, the more this charade will be exposed.

mike and mike...larry king....oprah...the RU national recruiting tour marches on.

PostPosted: 04/12/07 8:24 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

MsTena-T wrote:
I always have a problem with issues concerning race when the focus is shipped from the message to the messenger.

I am still trying to figure out how and why, the media and far too many non-black folks have come to the conclusion that Al Sharpton and Jesse Jackson are our "Black -Leaders" of choice and we march to the beat of their drum.

I don't think I can put together 5 black people who don't think Jesse is a joke.

Part of the problem is the white media, which is predominate, seems to think they are, and perception tends to overshadow reality so many times in this world...in business, in society, and in sports.

luvDhoops

PostPosted: 04/12/07 8:41 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

This whole notion that CVS is going out of her way to milk the situation and rally up sympathy is crazy. She didn't ask for this and it was days before she and the team even went public with their side. Now, numerous sources want to hear their view. I mean why would she turn down the likes of Larry King, Today and Oprah who all wanted to hear the team's side? And, in actuality, all she and the team ever really stated with regards to Imus and disciplinary actions, was that they wanted to meet with him.

cthskzfn

PostPosted: 04/12/07 8:42 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Part of the problem is the white media, which is predominate, seems to think they are, and perception tends to overshadow reality so many times in this world...in business, in society, and in sports.

it's no mistake- the media deliberately presents these lame-ass men as "black leaders" to the white majority in order to keep barriers between the races.

PostPosted: 04/12/07 8:55 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

cthskzfn wrote:

it's no mistake- the media deliberately presents these lame-ass men as "black leaders" to the white majority in order to keep barriers between the races.

You seem to be doing a great at that also; you should join the media. I think you'd be a great asset in furthering that cause.

harlem_basketball

PostPosted: 04/12/07 9:15 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

BallState1984 wrote:
Why the bile against Jason? He call s out Sharpton and Jackson as the hucksters they are? That it is ok for Curtis Jackson and Calvin Broadaus to call women hos and treat them like shit in thier "music"?

Remember SHarpton and how he created an issuee withTawana Brawley -- and the do gooders are still making that asshole out as a savior? For those who forgot, Brawley was out past curfew and made up a story a white man raped her. Sharpton took the story and ran with it even though it was proved 10 times over it was a lie.

Oh please. I'm tired of people acting like NO ONE is addressing the misogynistic lyrics in rap music. Like we haven't BEEN saying this. I could link you to damn near a million articles dating back to Cop Killa days if I didn't have a damn job. I'm tired of people acting like NO ONE has said any of this before so now that Imus has shined this beacon of eternal light and hope on the blacks by crying "double standard" and exposing us all for the hypocrits we are, we can all live in peace and happiness. Rolling Eyes C. Delores Tucker should rise up and bitch slap you all.

Jason is only on his self righteous race kick because he realized he wasn't making a name for himself copying Scoop and Stephen A. He has even ADMITTED it. I can't take someone seriously when they are the very thing they supposedly despise. Jason Whitlock has said far worse about black women and especially black female athletes than Imus could ever imagine.

I know we're "not supposed to talk like this in mixed company", but Jason Whitlock is nothing more than a self hating negro with a platform trying to "educate" whites about "those other" blacks. Not to mention he stole every original thought he ever had.

Timber already pinpointed his ass for exactly who he is. And Laughing @ the Michael Eric Dyson reference. I'm sure that went over a lot of heads. Laughing

Anyway, when's the last time Jason fucking Whitlock wrote anything to dispel the negative images of blacks in sports? You'd think being one of a damn handful of black sports writers with a national audience, he'd stop blaming the white man and those poor stupid blacks he's always bitching about, and help be part of the solution.

It's been said over and over on this board that Jesse and Al ain't nothing but a bunch of headline pimps. Al Sharpton has been called out numerous times as the joke he is for everything from Tawana Brawley to his undermining David Dinkins to his race baiting. It's brought up in almost every race thread on this board because someone always runs in with the "well Sharpton said it, so blacks must believe it" attitude quoting the man like he's Booker T. Washington and shit. Whitlock is nothing more than another Sharpton. Just because he's saying the opposite doesn't mean he's any different.

I don't believe Stringer is any more of an opportunist than any of the other thousands of people making this story bigger than it is. Another thing, I sincerely wish people on both sides of this argument would stfu with that, "I've never listened to Imus, but here's my all knowing opinion" bullshit. It's just as stupid as people who've never listened to rap listing the top 6 songs on the billboard charts to prove a point.

cthskzfn

PostPosted: 04/12/07 9:20 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

You seem to be doing a great at that also; you should join the media. I think you'd be a great asset in furthering that cause.

why do you think that? because while i find imus' remarks assinine, i don't believe he should be fired? because i believe the RU women are not "scarred for life" and that they are smart and strong enough young adults to handle the remarks made by a stranger? because i refuse to accept ajavon as a victim? because i believe cvs will milk this beyond the necessary for her own good? because i believe al and jesse are a couple of clowns?

i'm interested to know.

b]cthskzfn wrote:

it's no mistake- the media deliberately presents these lame-ass men as "black leaders" to the white majority in order to keep barriers between the races.[/b]

btw, i only wrote the second paragraph above.

PostPosted: 04/12/07 9:31 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

cthskzfn wrote:

why do you think that? because while i find imus' remarks assinine, i don't believe he should be fired? because i believe the RU women are not "scarred for life" and that they are smart and strong enough young adults to handle the remarks made by a stranger? because i refuse to accept ajavon as a victim? because i believe cvs will milk this beyond the necessary for her own good? because i believe al and jesse are a couple of clowns?

i'm interested to know.

I tell you what, if, IF you are that interested to know, go back and read my comments. Then if you wanna come back and discuss without all of the BS and hot air (that means intelligently) let me know. Cause all of that BS you mentioned above you have once to see me connected with any such sentiments.

cthskzfn

PostPosted: 04/12/07 9:33 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

MsTena-T wrote:
cthskzfn wrote:

i'm interested to know.

I tell you what, if, IF you are that interested to know, go back and read my comments. Then if you wanna come back and discuss without all of the BS and hot air (that means intelligently) let me know. Cause all of that BS you mentioned above you have once to see me connected with any such sentiments.

get back to me when you're ready to address my question.

Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: