RebKell's Junkie Boards
Board Junkies Forums

Imus vs Duke's Lacrosse Team
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7

Post new topic   Reply to topic    RebKell's Junkie Boards Forum Index » NCAA Women's Basketball - General Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Slovydal

PostPosted: 04/16/07 7:18 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

LTF is never going to understand.

Why waste any more time on him?

luvDhoops

PostPosted: 04/16/07 7:44 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Slovydal wrote:

It's funny because isn't LTF one of the main people on another thread that will remain nameless, talking about how players should have good sportsmanship? Shouldn't the logic that's being applied here by LTF be applied in that other scenario as well? Why wasn't there this opinion that a player shouldn't allow the trash talker to have that much power over them? Or, fans and players shouldn't let words bother them? Confused

Sass

PostPosted: 04/16/07 9:46 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Slovydal wrote:

I decided to save my time a few days ago. You can't reason with a fool.

He's the greatest of the greater
get it straight - he's great
- Run-DMC
LTF1

PostPosted: 04/17/07 11:06 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

sass:"I decided to save my time a few days ago. You can't reason with a fool."

What a hateful thing to say? But my feelings aren't hurt and I don't want you fired from your job or banned from a board for it.

slovydale:"LTF is never going to understand."

Well, slovydale is never going to understand. See I can say it too--so?

Being in the majority on this board doesn't make your opinions right and mine wrong. Indeed, I don't think there is an absolute right or wrong on this issue. You think it is right for the Rutgers team to be offended to the point of being "scarred for life." I don't. We can agree that Imus was wrong. I don't think he should have been fired for it however, but the market fired him, so that's the way it is. What amazes me is how so little disagreement bothers some people.

mercfan3:"Because you don't know what it's like to be called a racist and sexist deragotory term"

How presumptuous of you. I have had racist remarks made regarding me in the classroom. I didn't try to get the students expelled. I have had sexist remarks made to me as well, not in class but particularly when I was in graduate school.

luvdhoops:"It's funny because isn't LTF one of the main people on another thread that will remain nameless, talking about how players should have good sportsmanship?"

Imus was not on the court with them playing basketball. In any case I don't think taunting players should be expelled from a team. Corrected by their coach, absolutely, but not expelled. Poor sportswomanship reflects badly on the player and on her team and on her coach. Just as Don Imus' remarks reflected badly on him and on MSNBC and CBS Radio. When Kara Lawson started mugging "Did you see that? Did you see that? Oh my goodness did you see that?" I wanted her reprimanded (and maybe Pat did) not expelled. I was happy enough with Imus' suspension, but his employers--under pressure--went further. I disagree but that's their decision, not mine. What I find interesting is that a lot of people who never listened to Imus believed firing him was their decision.

In any case, people seem to think that because I don't think Imus should have been fired that I think he did no wrong. In the beginning of this business, I wrote that what Imus said was indeed highly objectionable. I believe so still. And I believe people should express themselves re the matter. I just don't think Imus' punishment fit the "crime".

mercfan:"IMO, until a man has a baby, men should not be able to tell women what they can and can not do with their own bodies."

I understand that point of view, although a strong case can be made that the fetus is not part of a woman's body--like say a tumor. However, I would have no problem in just letting women decide whether abortion should be legal or not. I know a lot of pro-life women. Give them time. Indeed I would prefer a popular vote of any sort instead of letting just nine men decide the issue as they did 24 years ago. The truth is that one of the biggest demographics in support of abortion are young men who want the fun but don't want the responsibility of being a father.

A life of leisure is no life you know"

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aPeJixp-zp4&feature=related
Slovydal

PostPosted: 04/17/07 11:22 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

LTF,

You are a White Man telling Black Women that they shouldn't let words harm them.

What world have you been living in?

LTF1

PostPosted: 04/17/07 11:33 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

For those whose myopia prevented them from seeing comparisons between the Lacrosse and Rutgers stories (and I must say, 7 pages is not bad for a post that was initially ignored and repeatedly derided as pointless)

http://nl.newsbank.com/nl-search/we/Archives?p_action=doc&p_docid=1188B09E014BF478&p_docnum=8

slovydale:"LTF,
You are a White Man telling Black Women that they shouldn't let words harm them."

Yes, but that is not my point. I am a person telling other people that they shouldn't let words harm them. Unlike some apparently, I don't have race and gender on my mind 24/7. And I think that anyone who does, might want to get checked for an obsessive-compulsive disorder

cthskzfn

Location: In a world where a PSYCHOpath like Trump isn't potus.

PostPosted: 04/17/07 4:05 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

It is amazing to me the power that people GIVE other people over them. Someone thinks she is "scarred for life" by words of someone they don't even know. The only power Don Imus had over the Rutgers team is the power they gave him. What does it say about people when WORDS from a stranger, can so debilitate them?

In any case, people seem to think that because I don't think Imus should have been fired that I think he did no wrong. In the beginning of this business, I wrote that what Imus said was indeed highly objectionable. I believe so still. And I believe people should express themselves re the matter. I just don't think Imus' punishment fit the "crime".

we agree, ltf1.

the conclusions i've read here by some people are stunning- e.g., that you are "against women standing up for themselves". others think i'm a fan of Imus. some insist white males can make no valid commentary on the topic because they "don't know what it's like". it's the same old shit.

the imus/RU cartoon has been replaced by the stark realism of Va Tech, where it is likely people WILL be scarred for life.

PostPosted: 04/17/07 4:09 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

cthskzfn wrote:
the imus/RU cartoon has been replaced by the stark realism of Va Tech, where it is likely people WILL be scarred for life.

And the Duke defendants could be scarred for life, having gone through an ordeal of over a year where they faced 30 years in prison for crimes they didn't commit.

cthskzfn

Location: In a world where a PSYCHOpath like Trump isn't potus.

PostPosted: 04/17/07 7:28 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

CamrnCrz1974 wrote:
cthskzfn wrote:

And the Duke defendants could be scarred for life, having gone through an ordeal of over a year where they faced 30 years in prison for crimes they didn't commit.

amen.

PostPosted: 04/17/07 11:37 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Slovydal wrote:
LTF,

You are a White Man telling Black Women that they shouldn't let words harm them.

In Bruno's world?

mercfan3

PostPosted: 04/17/07 11:46 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Slovydal wrote:
LTF,

AMEN!!!!!

Thankyou for stating for what I've been trying to say..or have said..several time..

PostPosted: 04/18/07 9:08 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

mercfan3 wrote:
Slovydal wrote:
LTF,

AMEN!!!!!

Thankyou for stating for what I've been trying to say..or have said..several time..

You sure have mercfan. As so many others here have also.

LTF can't or won't understand and I won't waste any more time on this.

LTF1

PostPosted: 04/18/07 12:53 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

slovydale:"LTF can't or won't understand and I won't waste any more time on this."

Slovydale, mercfan, and bluewovii can't or won't understand and I won't waste any more time on this.

Thanks CTh Smile

Post new topic   Reply to topic    RebKell's Junkie Boards Forum Index » NCAA Women's Basketball - General Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7
Page 7 of 7

Jump to: