RebKell's Junkie Boards
Board Junkies Forums

Imus vs Duke's Lacrosse Team
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    RebKell's Junkie Boards Forum Index » NCAA Women's Basketball - General Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
LTF1

PostPosted: 04/11/07 9:11 pm    ::: Imus vs Duke's Lacrosse Team Reply Reply with quote

Rutger's girls suffered an insult, but NOTHING compared to the injustice forced upon Duke's Lacrosse team, especially the three boys who were obviously falsely accused. They were victims of gross racial, sexist, and class stereotypes.

Congrats to the boys and their families. I think as an act of good faith, Al Sharpton should offer to pay their legal fees.

And the way Duke doesn't stand by it's coaches and athletes, why would anyone want to coach there?

A life of leisure is no life you know"

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aPeJixp-zp4&feature=related
cthskzfn

Location: In a world where a PSYCHOpath like Trump isn't potus.

PostPosted: 04/11/07 9:43 pm    ::: Re: Imus vs Duke's Lacrosse Team Reply Reply with quote

LTF1 wrote:
Rutger's girls suffered an insult, but NOTHING compared to the injustice forced upon Duke's Lacrosse team, especially the three boys who were obviously falsely accused. They were victims of gross racial, sexist, and class stereotypes.

Congrats to the boys and their families. I think as an act of good faith, Al Sharpton should offer to pay their legal fees.

And the way Duke doesn't stand by it's coaches and athletes, why would anyone want to coach there?

what- no reply for nearly an hour? surprise, surprise.

i thought the same thing when i heard the news. ( however, i only desired some type of comment from sharpton, but i do like the $$$ idea!)

i guess these duke lax players aren't as wonderful as the RU players.

Rolling Eyes

Queenie

PostPosted: 04/11/07 9:57 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

...or fewer of us give a crap about lacrosse than we do about women's basketball.

Or, possibly (and I don't know, I haven't been into the Maelstrom for the last three hours) it's being talked about in the off-topic area, since it hasn't a damn thing to do with women's basketball.

PostPosted: 04/11/07 10:00 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Queenie wrote:
...or fewer of us give a crap about lacrosse than we do about women's basketball.

Or, possibly (and I don't know, I haven't been into the Maelstrom for the last three hours) it's being talked about in the off-topic area, since it hasn't a damn thing to do with women's basketball.

That's what I thought Rolling Eyes

womens_hoops

PostPosted: 04/11/07 10:01 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

or possibly people are sick of LTF starting a new thread on the same issue that is already being discussed in 8 other threads, 7 of which he started.

Slovydal

PostPosted: 04/11/07 10:04 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

womens_hoops wrote:
or possibly people are sick of LTF starting a new thread on the same issue that is already being discussed in 8 other threads, 7 of which he started.

But someone has to champion the cause of white men's rights which apparently have been violated in ways that Black Women couldn't possibly understand.

Rolling Eyes

LTF - your fifteen minutes are up.

beknighted

PostPosted: 04/11/07 10:06 pm    ::: Re: Imus vs Duke's Lacrosse Team Reply Reply with quote

cthskzfn wrote:
what- no reply for nearly an hour? surprise, surprise.

I was ironing.

It seems to me that the ways in which these stories are different are too numerous to enumerate.

I'm not by any means saying that the lacrosse players weren't wronged here, that they're not owed an apology (or more) by lots of people and that many people didn't get this entirely wrong. It's just that it's not the same by any stretch of the imagination.

And what Queenie said, too.

PurdueBBall3

PostPosted: 04/11/07 10:21 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Slovydal wrote:
womens_hoops wrote:

But someone has to champion the cause of white men's rights which apparently have been violated in ways that Black Women couldn't possibly understand.

Rolling Eyes

LTF - your fifteen minutes are up.

Applause, applause, applause, applause, applause. Equating these two stories shows such a lack of understanding about the scope of bigotry, sexism, and racism that it's almost pitiful to think this fellow stands before students. But then I'm of the opinion that he decides to jump on messageboards to try and set people off, so....As you said, Slovy: The 15 minutes are up. Shoulda been more like 5 seconds.

PostPosted: 04/11/07 10:24 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

wh:"or possibly people are sick of LTF starting a new thread on the same issue that is already being discussed in 8 other threads, 7 of which he started."

I haven't counted, but I'll take your word for it. But in any case, you certainly don't have to read or respond to any of my posts. Just like you don't have to listen to Don Imus. Twisted Evil

Queenie:"since it hasn't a damn thing to do with women's basketball."

One could argue that the Don Imus thing didn't have much to do with basketball either. He could have made the same remark about a volleyball team of the same racial make-up and we'd have the same result.

In any case, I disagree that there is no connection b/w Rutgers and Duke on these issues. The parallels are obvious. Race, gender, class, and sports. And those who are extremely angered by a few nasty words, seem strangely mum about false accusations that could have landed three innocent young men in jail and did cost their coach his job.

No wonder Gail decided to bail. No wonder the Cal coach ain't going to Duke. The message from the univ is, get falsely accused of something involving CRG (class, race and gender) and the univ won't stand by you. Indeed, it will throw you under the bus.

BeK:"It's just that it's not the same by any stretch of the imagination."

You're right, imo, what happened to the Lacrosse players was a lot, lot, lot, worse.

And I went over to the offtopic area and couldn't find anything. But, if the board demographic over there is the same as it is over here (eg WNBA and WCBB fans) well, I guess the silence is understandable.

slovydale:"LTF - your fifteen minutes are up."

What? This board akin Andy Warhol? LOL! Again, don't like it, don't read it, don't post on it.

womens_hoops

PostPosted: 04/11/07 10:26 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

LTF1 wrote:
He could have made the same remark about a volleyball team of the same racial make-up and we'd have the same result.

no, it would be in Area 51, and the thread would be at most 2 pages long, not 10.

Keegan

PostPosted: 04/11/07 10:26 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

LTF1 wrote:
And I went over to the offtopic area and couldn't find anything. But, if the board demographic over there is the same as it is over here

http://boards.rebkell.net/viewtopic.php?t=22612
Slovydal

PostPosted: 04/11/07 10:29 pm    ::: Re: Imus vs Duke's Lacrosse Team Reply Reply with quote

LTF1 wrote:

Injustice "forced upon" them?
Having a stripper* at a party invites trouble. (not to say they weren't victims). There's no comparasin here.

You still don't have any comprehension of what impact hate speech has on our society.

It is Black Women in this country who have been victims of gross racial, sexist, and class stereotypes for a hundreds of years (you may want to consult your many Black friends, colleagues, and students for a little background on the subject).

Your comments are what I'd expect from Imus once he's back on the air - which he will be, because as you have proven in the last couple days - there are still people in this country who just don't get it.

*see sexist.

RedEqualsLuck

PostPosted: 04/11/07 10:32 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Keegan wrote:
LTF1 wrote:
And I went over to the offtopic area and couldn't find anything. But, if the board demographic over there is the same as it is over here

http://boards.rebkell.net/viewtopic.php?t=22612

you might even do a search on the topic and see what's been discussed on this board since the news first broke out....

but knowing your brain's demographic.... Wink

PostPosted: 04/11/07 10:49 pm    ::: Re: Imus vs Duke's Lacrosse Team Reply Reply with quote

LTF1 wrote:

Why should Al Sharpton pay their legal fees? Cause he's a black man? I mean it ain't like he was the prosecuting attorney. Is it that you just want a black man/woman to suffer something regardless of the reason? I'm sure if you look around the "ghetto" in which you say you teach you can find a few that are suffering. In fact hanging around in the "ghetto" "teaching" should give your ego a nice little boost.

What racial sterotypes did the Duke players face?

Isn't it widely specualted the the primary guy that wronged the Duke players is going to lose his law license? Has'nt he already lost his job? So what you want the white prosecutor to keep his job and the black man, Al Sharpton to pay? Again how is that logical?

aurabass

PostPosted: 04/11/07 10:58 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

LTF & CTh

Next time a WCBB team has a drunken bash with white male strippers and gets wrongly accused of rape we can get right on it.

Until then the only comparison is one incident involved a bunch of drunken priviledged rich white boys being stupid enough to pay a couple of nappy headed ho's to get naked vs a group of dedicated young women being labeled 'nappy headed hos' by a stupid rich white old man of priviledge.

Maybe the difference is too subtle for your limited power of distinction but a few of us have the ability to understand that one incident has no relevance to the other.

In one the legal system ran it's course to the proper outcome hopefully destroying the career of the idiot prosecutor who attempted to use it for political gain. In the other it may help enlighten the public to the damage done by hateful speech as a form of entertainment.

LTF1

PostPosted: 04/11/07 11:15 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Ms. Tena:"Why should Al Sharpton pay their legal fees?"

As I understand it, Sharpton has vocally supported the false accuser in this case and given his record concerning Tawana Brawley and all, I just thought it might be a nice gesture.

Ms. Tena:"What racial sterotypes did the Duke players face?"

Where have you been? From the beginning over a year ago: rich white jocks rape black "exotic dancer"

slovydale:"Having a stripper* at a party invites trouble."

Hmmm. Put another way, just as wrong, would be: "She asked for it". (Gee, I thought such thinking went out in the 50s (which were before I was born!)

Oh, and Keegan, there were like five posts on that thread, three dating some time back. Again, board demographic Wink

LTF1

PostPosted: 04/11/07 11:28 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Aurabass:"In one the legal system ran it's course to the proper outcome hopefully destroying the career of the idiot prosecutor who attempted to use it for political gain."

Proper outcome after who knows how much money lost on attorney's fees and reputations damaged. And the idiot prosecutor had help from a hysterical press and the accuser in all of this. The NC AG went so far as to actually declare the boys "innocent" (almost unheard of). I think the good people of North Carolina should pay their legal fees. And Duke needs to get sued (for cowardice if nothing else)

The relevance of the two incidents is that the media and people of certain political persuasions have a double standard when it comes to race. In one case words hurt feelings and people went nuts. In the other case, words threatened to put innocent people in jail, cost a coach his job, players' their reputations, and people went nuts--after the innocent players.

I think the media reactions to the two events: black female bb players trashed by white guy---bad white guy (which he is)

white rich jocks (falsely) accused by black stripper---bad white guys (which they weren't)

I don't like double-standards

MsTena-T

PostPosted: 04/11/07 11:31 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

LTF1 wrote:
Ms. Tena:"Why should Al Sharpton pay their legal fees?"

1. As I understand it, Sharpton has vocally supported the false accuser in this case and given his record concerning Tawana Brawley and all, I just thought it might be a nice gesture.

Ms. Tena:"What racial sterotypes did the Duke players face?"

3. Where have you been? From the beginning over a year ago: rich white jocks rape black "exotic dancer"

slovydale:"Having a stripper* at a party invites trouble."

Hmmm. Put another way, just as wrong, would be: "She asked for it". (Gee, I thought such thinking went out in the 50s (which were before I was born!)

Oh, and Keegan, there were like five posts on that thread, three dating some time back. Again, board demographic Wink

1. Many did that based on the evidence initally brought forward. How would Al know if the girl ws lying? Is that black thing? And why only single out Al? Why pick him out of EVERYBODY who supported her based on the initial evidence? Again is it because he is a black man? You have yet to provide logic that makes any sense or than to be racially movitated. I mean had you started with the district attorney and naed EVERY person who supported the accuser as being liable, your statement woould not seem so race based. Unless that is your intention.

2. You want my list of white men and records of false accusation concerning me? I ain't been paid yet.

3. Not in the ghetto, is that where that version was televised?

Oh and why is it that your historical perspective only applies to Al Sharpton and not Imus? Is that a racially based persepctive as well?

RedEqualsLuck

PostPosted: 04/11/07 11:46 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Maybe Nancy Grace and the NYTimes should pay their legal fees...

PostPosted: 04/11/07 11:51 pm    ::: Re: Imus vs Duke's Lacrosse Team Reply Reply with quote

LTF1 wrote:

You're comparing apples to oranges, trying to draw parallels that don't exist.

You can shut your "I know black people" ass up now.

He's the greatest of the greater
get it straight - he's great
- Run-DMC
LTF1

PostPosted: 04/12/07 12:16 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Sass:"You're comparing apples to oranges, trying to draw parallels that don't exist."

It is your right to think so. Not everyone will agree with you, maybe most will. Not everyone will agree with me, maybe most won't. I'm fine with that.

Sass:"You can shut your "I know black people" a** up now"

I don't say that I know black people in any absolute sense (as many people here seem to think that they do). I know, compared to most white folks, a lot of black people. And I have found that those that I know have a variety of viewpoints, some of which that are and are not found on this board.

And in any case what are you suggesting? That ALL African Americans would think that Imus' insult of Rutgers' players is more serious than three men being falsely accused of rape, reputations damaged, and facing the threat of imprisonment for over a year? This was a national story that lasted for over a year. The Rutgers story will be gone next month, and then back for a day when Imus goes on satellite. That's it. Over.

So surely you are not suggesting that all black people think alike. Indeed, a fair minority believed OJ guilty at the time (I believe more do now). And not everyone everywhere of whatever race necc thinks like the majority of people on this board. But people sociologists have shown, tend to live in very small worlds where the associate with people who only think like them. This tends to lead to folks thinking that they and their group are right about everything and anyone who disagrees is wrong. Think liberals and conservatives. Limbaugh and Franken.

Furthermore, it still amazes me how folks who disagree with a viewpoint they don't like feel as if using vulgar language somehow strengthens the point they are trying to make. Or wait, this is junior high?

Sass

PostPosted: 04/12/07 12:24 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

LTF1 wrote:
Sass:"You're comparing apples to oranges, trying to draw parallels that don't exist."

It is your right to think so. Not everyone will agree with you, maybe most will. Not everyone will agree with me, maybe most won't. I'm fine with that.

I don't say that I know black people in any absolute sense (as many people here seem to think that they do). I know, compared to most white folks, a lot of black people. And I have found that those that I know have a variety of viewpoints, some of which that are and are not found on this board.

And in any case what are you suggesting? That ALL African Americans would think that Imus' insult of Rutgers' players is more serious than three men being falsely accused of rape, reputations damaged, and facing the threat of imprisonment for over a year? This was a national story that lasted for over a year. The Rutgers story will be gone next month, and then back for a day when Imus goes on satellite. That's it. Over.

So surely you are not suggesting that all black people think alike. Indeed, a fair minority believed OJ guilty at the time (I believe more do now). And not everyone everywhere of whatever race necc thinks like the majority of people on this board. But people sociologists have shown, tend to live in very small worlds where the associate with people who only think like them. This tends to lead to folks thinking that they and their group are right about everything and anyone who disagrees is wrong. Think liberals and conservatives. Limbaugh and Franken.

Furthermore, it still amazes me how folks who disagree with a viewpoint they don't like feel as if using vulgar language somehow strengthens the point they are trying to make. Or wait, this is junior high?

I'm not "suggesting" anything that I didn't write. I said, don't compare two completely dissimilar situations and try to derive deep meanings from your constructs and theories of them. Then you try and construct/derive deep meanings from my simple statement. You're going to drive yourself nuts at this rate.

As for my profanity (I've always thought "vulgar" to be a prissy word), that's just the New Yorker in me.

So why is your stupid ass still posting?

He's the greatest of the greater
get it straight - he's great
- Run-DMC
MsTena-T

PostPosted: 04/12/07 12:27 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

LTF1 wrote:

And in any case what are you suggesting? That ALL African Americans would think that Imus' insult of Rutgers' players is more serious than three men being falsely accused of rape, reputations damaged, and facing the threat of imprisonment for over a year? 2. This was a national story that lasted for over a year. The Rutgers story will be gone next month, and then back for a day when Imus goes on satellite. That's it. Over.

1. That is stupid, nobody here has suggested or implied that. Catch This . . . They are two different things/situations and one does not apply or reflect on the other UNLESS it is your attempt, although it is a very weak attempt, to show your bias against black folks.

No one is condoning a liar especially one of that magnitude. But that don't have jack shit to do with IMUS.

2. So are you implying the "White Man Wronged" story is more important than the "Wrong White Man"

DAMN! What OJ got to do with this situation?

JACKOWACKO

PostPosted: 04/12/07 1:21 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Lol @ calling out the Duke LAX players for "inviting trouble" for having a stripper over at a party.

I know of plenty of girls who have team parties w/male strippers.

The fact is, this woman claimed she was raped when she wasnt. Her own friend ratted her out. Tell you a little about how nice of a person she is.

And even though the LAX players live a life of privelledge, and probably get plenty of high-class hoochie LAX groupie ass, and even though they sound like spoiled brats during the interviews theyve given...

They were wronged bigtime here. And IMO, there should be more outrage from the media and public opinion.

PostPosted: 04/12/07 5:32 am    ::: Re: Imus vs Duke's Lacrosse Team Reply Reply with quote

LTF1 wrote:
I think as an act of good faith, Al Sharpton should offer to pay their legal fees.

He should say something about it. At least apologize for jumping to an erroneous conclusion and going on publicly at such length about it.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    RebKell's Junkie Boards Forum Index » NCAA Women's Basketball - General Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next
Page 1 of 7

Jump to: