RebKell's Junkie Boards
Board Junkies Forums

Some words

Post new topic   Reply to topic    RebKell's Junkie Boards Forum Index » NCAA Women's Basketball - General Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
beknighted

PostPosted: 04/12/07 5:01 pm    ::: Some words Reply Reply with quote

I noticed that the word "articulate" didn't seem to get used too much to describe the Rutgers players. The word of choice, instead, was "eloquent." I kind of wondered if that was a response to the tiff over Senator Biden's comments on Obama.

I also noticed that "class" and "classy" were used a lot. I guess they were used in contrast to "ho," but after a while it kind of made me want to scream. "Classy" seems to be one of the compliments of choice in WCBB (and I'm among the people who use it - I think I said it about GG while she was pondering whether to take the Texas job), and I wonder why.

Any thoughts?

cthskzfn

Location: In a world where a PSYCHOpath like Trump isn't potus.

PostPosted: 04/12/07 5:44 pm    ::: Re: Some words Reply Reply with quote

beknighted wrote:
I noticed that the word "articulate" didn't seem to get used too much to describe the Rutgers players. The word of choice, instead, was "eloquent." I kind of wondered if that was a response to the tiff over Senator Biden's comments on Obama.

I also noticed that "class" and "classy" were used a lot. I guess they were used in contrast to "ho," but after a while it kind of made me want to scream. "Classy" seems to be one of the compliments of choice in WCBB (and I'm among the people who use it - I think I said it about GG while she was pondering whether to take the Texas job), and I wonder why.

Any thoughts?

you weren't the only one who noticed, or was sickened by it.

i've holded off posting about the swooning re: carson, which seems to be based on the fact that this 21 (?) yr-old college student can nearly read a script perfectly or can speak in a clear, thought-provoking manner. wow.

i was hoping someone would use the A word, just so that i could comment on the lack of comment we would've had here.

double standards all over the place! ain't america great. Very Happy

PostPosted: 04/12/07 5:54 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

I think we've gotten to the point where we're dissecting this issue way too much. Yes, perhaps it has struck a chord with people in this country. However, I think it's as simple as a shock jock making a big mistake. I wish this issue would go away already.

FS02

PostPosted: 04/12/07 5:54 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Interesting that the word "classy", in and of itself, implies that members of a certain social class are morally superior to members of another. The idea is entrenched in the very language we use. But I don't think we can change it now--just be aware of it. Wink

Nowadays, I hear the term often used when a person is wronged in a vicious way, but does not respond in kind. It's also used to describe any act of good sportsmanship that goes above and beyond what is normally done.

Queenie

PostPosted: 04/12/07 5:56 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Articulate vs. eloquent: obviously I can only speak for myself, but I would use eloquent because it implies more about the statement being made, whereas articulate implies more about the manner in which a statement is made. I don't know if she was articulate, because I didn't see the press conference, and therefore don't know how she delivered the statement. I do know that she was eloquent, because I read the text, and it was good text.

As a 22-year-old college student at a public university, and an English major, I was impressed by Carson's statement (which I only read and did not hear). It was well-written and used language deftly and expertly. She made good points, including most of the points that most Rebkellians have been making.

As an English major, I've read classmates' work that was a hell of a lot less coherent, much less eloquent, and I think I would have loved to have her as a classmate in a writing workshop. That might say more about college education in this country than anything else, but if we're going to open up the can of worms that is the state of American education, let's do it in Area 51 and not muddy it up with this incident.

I think part of why people are impressed with Carson's presence is that a) most people in their early 20s don't *have* presence of any sort unless they've trained extensively for it, and b) most athletes of any age tend to look flustered and sound single-minded and cliched. I think people forget that she's in the performing arts, so if she isn't comfortable on a stage, there's something wrong.

PostPosted: 04/12/07 5:57 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

fancy_daniel wrote:
I think we've gotten to the point where we're dissecting this issue way too much. Yes, perhaps it has struck a chord with people in this country. However, I think it's as simple as a shock jock making a big mistake. I wish this issue would go away already.

Yeah, you're probably right. Laughing

womens_hoops

PostPosted: 04/12/07 6:43 pm    ::: Re: Some words Reply Reply with quote

beknighted wrote:
I noticed that the word "articulate" didn't seem to get used too much to describe the Rutgers players.

a coworker asked me about the situation the other day (because she knows i'm a women's basketball fan). i was talking about how well the RU players had come off. i was about to use the word "articulate," but then I stopped myself, precisely because of the recent controversy.

timber

PostPosted: 04/12/07 7:25 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

It's always funny to me how my first reaction to someone calling me articulate is to cuss them out. The irony. Laughing

Someone mentioned how "articulate" the Rutgers women were at work today.

I said, no...your standards regarding either blacks, women, athletes or young people are just lower than the entire Knicks organization's standards in regards to being an actual NBA team. Pick one or three.

PostPosted: 04/12/07 7:33 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

As we have established before, "articulate" is code for "black person who does not necessarily fit racial stereotypes, who does not appear to present a threat to White America, but is black nevertheless.

"Classy" and "eloquent" have been overused for two reasons: First, because "articulate" is known to be code, it no longer serves its purpose. The media is trying out new code words. Second, as Essence Carson pointed out, the Imus Affair has resulted in more attention to RU than their run to the NC game; the mainstream media doesn't know who these women are. So they resort to cliches.

PostPosted: 04/12/07 7:39 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

bballjunkee212 wrote:
As we have established before, "articulate" is code for "black person who does not necessarily fit racial stereotypes, who does not appear to present a threat to White America, but is black nevertheless.

i had missed that memo until recently. i mostly used the word to refer to my white students. i didn't realize i was calling them black.

but the new york times and jammerbirdi set me straight, so i'm on to new words, though still fumbling a little bit, to be honest.

bballjunkee212 wrote:
The media is trying out new code words.

so suppose someone wants to compliment a person, black or white, for being well-spoken. anything we can use that isn't code?

jammerbirdi

PostPosted: 04/12/07 7:53 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

FS02 wrote:
fancy_daniel wrote:

Yeah, you're probably right. Laughing

I have so much to say about the Imus situation, and that includes (as per my usual) things that I believe aren't being said by anyone else at this time. But I too am so burned out on participating on this subject at this time. I'm watching it all unfold, but there's just a limit to how much I'm ABLE to stay focused on this. I think this is pushing a lot of people towards subject matter burn out.

Plus I've had no time or energy to sit down and put those thoughts into written words and on such a high stakes topic. Life is kinda nuts right now in my world. Big messy stuff to deal with.

PostPosted: 04/12/07 7:56 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

womens_hoops wrote:

i had missed that memo until recently. i mostly used the word to refer to my white students. i didn't realize i was calling them black.

but the new york times and jammerbirdi set me straight, so i'm on to new words, though still fumbling a little bit, to be honest.

I know you meant this without irony and I'm very flattered. Wink

PostPosted: 04/12/07 8:03 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Two more points on articulate:

1) Stringer used it in the press conference.

2) I realized the other reason I don't use it. I'm a nerd. My first thought when I see the word is articulated joints on action figures, which have nothing to do with the use of the word in denoting someone who is well-spoken.

PostPosted: 04/12/07 8:21 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

jammerbirdi wrote:

I'm actually sort of serious. We had the discussion before. I honestly had no idea that it had any sort of derogatory connotation, much less a racial one. So I used the word all the time. Mostly to describe students (almost all of whom, sadly, are white). Someone called me "articulate" awhile ago after I argued a case, and I took it as a high compliment.

But sometimes words change meaning. And the word has acquired a different connotation. I'm happy to know, so I don't use it sometime and end up looking like an ass.

Queenie wrote:
Stringer used it in the press conference.

Maybe she didn't get the memo either. Or maybe she doesn't ready the Gray Lady.

Or maybe she was using it as like a double-secret super-reverse code word.

womens_hoops

PostPosted: 04/12/07 9:34 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

The Times dissection calls CVS eloquent (cough) and the team classy.

http://www.nytimes.com/2007/04/13/business/media/13carr.html?hp

luvDhoops

PostPosted: 04/12/07 9:43 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

womens_hoops wrote:
jammerbirdi wrote:

I'm actually sort of serious. We had the discussion before. I honestly had no idea that it had any sort of derogatory connotation, much less a racial one. So I used the word all the time. Mostly to describe students (almost all of whom, sadly, are white). Someone called me "articulate" awhile ago after I argued a case, and I took it as a high compliment.

But sometimes words change meaning. And the word has acquired a different connotation. I'm happy to know, so I don't use it sometime and end up looking like an ass.

Queenie wrote:

Funny. Well, I feel sorry for all of you white folks just trying to find the right words to say, lol.

Honestly, "articulate" would normally be a compliment. However, as the years progressed it's meaning changed to one that meant a particular black person was some sort of anomaly. Like "wow, you don't sound like the 'other' black people, you're so articulate". It freaking stings my ears everytime I read or hear that word when applied to a black person. The individual may not mean that at all, may just be totally unaware of how it disturbs some people. However, it stings the average black person's ears none the less. And, just like Timber, the first thing I want to say is "what the f%*$ you mean 'articulate'! ".

How very articulate of me. Wink

dtsnms

PostPosted: 04/12/07 9:46 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

and who says you don't learn anything hanging on a message board? Trust me, that memo didn't make Farmington, CT, where Tebucky Jones and Stuart Scott represent the majority of the people of color known in town.

Okay, 50 cent doesn't come out and hang too much.

womens_hoops

PostPosted: 04/12/07 10:37 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

luvDhoops wrote:
However, it stings the average black person's ears none the less.

apparently not CVS's.

luvDhoops

PostPosted: 04/12/07 10:45 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

womens_hoops wrote:
luvDhoops wrote:

apparently not CVS's.

I said average. I don't think "Rambling Rhonda" at her age, and speaking as one of minority, really thought about it during the improvisation.

pilight

PostPosted: 04/12/07 10:46 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Queenie wrote:
Two more points on articulate:

1) Stringer used it in the press conference.

Only because it was the only English word left that she hadn't used already.

Most people hate poetry
womens_hoops

PostPosted: 04/12/07 10:50 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

pilight wrote:
Only because it was the only English word left that she hadn't used already.

sssssssssssssssssssssssss-------NAP!!!!!!!!!

Jimi3

PostPosted: 04/12/07 11:22 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

womens_hoops wrote:
luvDhoops wrote:

apparently not CVS's.

Hmmm? Could that mean that CVS is not average? Wink

Would it be "code" for me to say I think she is a damn good coach or would that be ok? C. Vivian Stringer IS a damn good Coach you know. Life is complicated for us old midwestern white guys. It sort of takes me back to the 70's and finding out that some women were offended if I held a door open for them. Naturally I modified my behavior but it always seemed a little wierd. So far as I can tell, at least around here, that behavior is no longer offensive and its OK to be courteous to women again. Maybe after the passing of time "articulate" will be rehabilitated also. As things are now I am not sure if or when I will offend sombody by giving them a compliment but I think I will risk it anyhow.

I did not need a code book to figure out that Don Imus was offensive. I like to focus my anger at people who I know intend to be offensive. That is unacceptable no matter who it is aimed at.

PostPosted: 04/12/07 11:46 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

fancy_daniel wrote:

Co-signed. The shit has gotten old - way old.

He's the greatest of the greater
get it straight - he's great
- Run-DMC
CallTheDoctor

PostPosted: 04/13/07 1:03 am    ::: Re: Some words Reply Reply with quote

cthskzfn wrote:

i've holded off posting about the swooning re: carson, which seems to be based on the fact that this 21 (?) yr-old college student can nearly read a script perfectly or can speak in a clear, thought-provoking manner. wow.

I've heard interviews with a lot of male professional basketball players who are 25-30+ years old and can't do either of the things you mention Carson doing. Something tells me they didn't quite earn their college diplomas.

thesixthwoman

PostPosted: 04/13/07 3:32 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

womens_hoops wrote:

Queenie wrote:

LOL!! i love it!

Post new topic   Reply to topic    RebKell's Junkie Boards Forum Index » NCAA Women's Basketball - General Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: