RebKell's Junkie Boards
Board Junkies Forums

Women's Final Four may be pushed back a week.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    RebKell's Junkie Boards Forum Index » NCAA Women's Basketball - General Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
stever

PostPosted: 04/03/07 8:55 pm    ::: Women's Final Four may be pushed back a week. Reply Reply with quote

http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/17938098/

Quote:
“To the extent that they’re in a shadow, it makes sense to me to give them full sunlight,” Brand said. “They deserve it. They’re that good. The games are that good.” He discussed the state of the women’s game Tuesday before Tennessee and Rutgers played for the national championship. “It’s gotten a lot better in terms of parity, skill of players and fan interest over the years,” he said. “I’m personally very pleased. I see this as a growth sport for the NCAA.”

SportsPageMike

PostPosted: 04/03/07 9:13 pm    ::: Final Four Reply Reply with quote

Isn't the Final Four next year in Tampa being held on April 6th and 8th?

PostPosted: 04/03/07 9:17 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

personally, i see that as problematic, since pushing it back would only shorten the training camp time for the wnba.

PostPosted: 04/03/07 10:29 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

scullyfu wrote:
personally, i see that as problematic, since pushing it back would only shorten the training camp time for the wnba.

The W could compensate by extending the season by a week on the back end. It still wouldn't conflict with the NBA (though it would conflict more with K-12 schoolnights).

The NCAA isn't going to go out of its way to hurt the W, but it's not going to make its decisions with the W foremost in mind.

mabell3368

PostPosted: 04/05/07 2:25 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Why is the NCAA so intent on killing the women's tournament? Look at the attendance figures over the last five years and anybody with half a brain can see that the attendance has been falling ever since the move to neutral first round sites, after several years of pretty steady growth. Moving the tournament back a week just solidifies that steady march to fewer fans. When faced with the choice of watching the men's regionals or the women's first and second round, which do you think the casual fan is going to choose? This is a horrible idea, but one that the PTB will probably elect to adopt. I really cannot see the upside of this boneheaded idea.

Conflicts with the WNBA season have nothing to do with it. Look at what the games would be going up against.

The NCAA isn't going out of their way to hurt the game? Oh really?

PostPosted: 04/05/07 2:30 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

There is always going to be something that the tournament is going up against. Push it back and each round is going up against a farther round in the men's tournament. By the time the Final Four comes around, the sport conversation has change to god-awful baseball.

Pick a time and stick with it. Stop moving it around because you don't think people talk about it enough. That's bush league and shows a serious inferiority complex.

Viewing would be helped by someone in the Final Four scoring more than 60 points and for more than one Elite Eight game to be closer than 20.

luvDhoops

PostPosted: 04/05/07 2:42 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

PUmatty wrote:
There is always going to be something that the tournament is going up against. Push it back and each round is going up against a farther round in the men's tournament. By the time the Final Four comes around, the sport conversation has change to god-awful baseball.

Pick a time and stick with it. Stop moving it around because you don't think people talk about it enough. That's bush league and shows a serious inferiority complex.

Viewing would be helped by someone in the Final Four scoring more than 60 points and for more than one Elite Eight game to be closer than 20.

I agree, and also pushing it back would definitely conflict with opening night in baseball. Ya think anyone's going to be talking about the women's tourney with opening night is going on? Asinine!

beknighted

PostPosted: 04/05/07 3:01 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

This is not something I feel strongly about, but I can see pushing it out a week. Baseball always starts the same day as the men's championship game, and by the second week it fades a little; and the NBA and NHL aren't really that interesting in the second week of April. The real competition would be The Masters, but that's a day thing and the Final Four games are at night. You also could go with a Saturday/Monday schedule, which would be more convenient from a travel perspective.

The issue of conflict with the men's tournament probably wouldn't be any worse than it is today. You'd want to schedule most of the Sweet 16 and Elite 8 games around the men's Final Four, but you actually would have fewer conflicts than you do today the first weekend of the tournament because the men would be playing only two games on Saturday and Sunday, instead of eight.

That said, the downside considerations are worth considering, too. For instance, if you moved the tournament dates, you'd have to move a lot of conference tournaments or risk having teams sitting around for three weeks before the NCAAs begin, which nobody would want. At that point, the conference tournaments likely would get drowned out by the men's games, particularly if some of them ended up running against the first weekend of the men's tournament. Also, I do think that people think of college basketball as ending at the beginning of April, so it might be hard to get their attention for later games even without any significant conflicts with other sports.

All things considered, there probably are other steps I would want the NCAA to take before changing the dates.

Fuzzball Records

PostPosted: 04/05/07 3:25 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

The NBA will never agree to pushing back the W's season by a week or anything like that because it will conflict with NBA regular season or playoff games and create more schedualing conflicts, which the men would have priority over anyway.

PostPosted: 04/05/07 3:37 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

They wouldn't have to push back the WNBA season a bit. The draft used to be a month after the tournament, after all. This move would have little to no impact on the W's schedule.

Most people hate poetry
mzonefan

PostPosted: 04/05/07 4:56 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

beknighted wrote:
That said, the downside considerations are worth considering, too. For instance, if you moved the tournament dates, you'd have to move a lot of conference tournaments or risk having teams sitting around for three weeks before the NCAAs begin, which nobody would want. At that point, the conference tournaments likely would get drowned out by the men's games, particularly if some of them ended up running against the first weekend of the men's tournament. Also, I do think that people think of college basketball as ending at the beginning of April, so it might be hard to get their attention for later games even without any significant conflicts with other sports.

This would be espcially problematic in the Big 10. The women's tourney occurs the week before the men's, and both are set for Conseco Fieldhouse for the next five years.

ucbart

PostPosted: 04/05/07 5:49 pm    ::: Re: Final Four Reply Reply with quote

SportsPageMike wrote:
Isn't the Final Four next year in Tampa being held on April 6th and 8th?

Yes it is, but the men's FF is April 5th and 7th, so it's still the same weekend as the women's.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    RebKell's Junkie Boards Forum Index » NCAA Women's Basketball - General Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: