RebKell's Junkie Boards
Board Junkies Forums

Where do they rank?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    RebKell's Junkie Boards Forum Index » NCAA Women's Basketball - General Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
pilight

PostPosted: 04/05/07 6:29 am    ::: Where do they rank? Reply Reply with quote

OK, so where do these Lady Vols rank among all time teams? Surely they're not the best ever, one of the undefeated teams deserves that honor. Are they top 10? Close to the bottom? What do you think?

PostPosted: 04/05/07 7:34 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Somewhere in the middle.

Three undefeated NCs (UT, UConn twice-- is that right?) would have creamed them, the fourth-- Texas-- would have beaten them. I think any of UConn's other NCs would have beaten them. Stanford's too, I think.

So, in the 25-year NCAA era, that's 9 teams, so rank them 10th of 25. IMHO.

Location: In a world where a PSYCHOpath like Trump isn't potus.

PostPosted: 04/05/07 11:24 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

nowhere special, imo.

luvDhoops

PostPosted: 04/05/07 11:35 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Well considering they were, according to some sources, Pat's least talented group, I'd say they should be ranked with teams that weren't expected to win a title. I know that's odd to say when mentioning Tennessee, but the team did enter the season with many question marks.

No Shanna Zolman, very little post depth, a freshman point guard coming off of knee surgery and two unproven juco guards, one of which stood at only 5'2 and would be asked to be the starting point guard for Pat Summitt.

So, how do they rank against other teams who weren't "supposed" to win a title? How do they rank against the '05 Baylor, '06 Maryland squads? Or, the Irish or Purdue teams? Were they favorites in those years, I can't remember?

ucbart

PostPosted: 04/05/07 12:08 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

luvDhoops wrote:
Well considering they were, according to some sources, Pat's least talented group, I'd say they should be ranked with teams that weren't expected to win a title. I know that's odd to say when mentioning Tennessee, but the team did enter the season with many question marks.

No Shanna Zolman, very little post depth, a freshman point guard coming off of knee surgery and two unproven juco guards, one of which stood at only 5'2 and would be asked to be the starting point guard for Pat Summitt.

So, how do they rank against other teams who weren't "supposed" to win a title? How do they rank against the '05 Baylor, '06 Maryland squads? Or, the Irish or Purdue teams? Were they favorites in those years, I can't remember?

Any team that shoots a combined 35% in the FF and still wins the title doesn't get perched very high up in the best teams of all time.

fancy_daniel

PostPosted: 04/05/07 12:38 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

bballjunkee212 wrote:
Somewhere in the middle.

Three undefeated NCs (UT, UConn twice-- is that right?) would have creamed them, the fourth-- Texas-- would have beaten them. I think any of UConn's other NCs would have beaten them. Stanford's too, I think.

Agreed, they would've been somewhere maybe in the lower middle perhaps. Let's see, there are three undefeated teams, plus the D. Taurasi led Uconn's would have crushed them. That's about 5 I think.

There's also T. Vanderveer's two squad which were rediculously good with Val Whiting and Jen Azzi. That's 7.

Then there's Notre Dame which beat Uconn with it's best players. That's 8.

The two USC squads with Cheryl Miller, Cynthia Cooper and the McGee twins was amazing. That's 10 there.

I'm sure I could find a few more, but top-10 teams, this Lady Vols team was not.

PUmatty

PostPosted: 04/05/07 12:45 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

fancy_daniel wrote:
bballjunkee212 wrote:
Somewhere in the middle.

Agreed, they would've been somewhere maybe in the lower middle perhaps. Let's see, there are three undefeated teams, plus the D. Taurasi led Uconn's would have crushed them. That's about 5 I think.

There's also T. Vanderveer's two squad which were rediculously good with Val Whiting and Jen Azzi. That's 7.

The two USC squads with Cheryl Miller, Cynthia Cooper and the McGee twins was amazing. That's 10 there.

I'm sure I could find a few more, but top-10 teams, this Lady Vols team was not.

The Purdue NC team didn't have a lot of trouble beating a Tennessee team that was probably better than this one, so I think you can include the Boilers on the Better Than list.

bballjunkee212

PostPosted: 04/05/07 1:40 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

PUmatty wrote:
fancy_daniel wrote:
bballjunkee212 wrote:
Somewhere in the middle.

The Purdue NC team didn't have a lot of trouble beating a Tennessee team that was probably better than this one, so I think you can include the Boilers on the Better Than list.

Notre Dame did not beat UConn with its best players-- Ralph and Abrosimova were out.

But I could go along with the Cheryl Miller teams. I think that would drop this year's UT to 12th out of 25 NCAA champs.

PostPosted: 04/05/07 2:18 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

What a pointless discussion. The only thing that matters (and that matters every year) is that they were the best this year. How sweet it is!

PostPosted: 04/05/07 2:20 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

bballjunkee212 wrote:

Notre Dame did not beat UConn with its best players-- Ralph and Abrosimova were out.

Ralph and Svet played when Notre Dame gave UConn a beatdown in South Bend earlier that year though.

fancy_daniel

PostPosted: 04/05/07 2:34 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

bballjunkee212 wrote:

But I could go along with the Cheryl Miller teams. I think that would drop this year's UT to 12th out of 25 NCAA champs.

I wasn't talking about that team. I was talking about the Connecticut team with Sue Bird, D. Taurasi, Swin Cash, Ashja Jones and Tamika Williams.

luvDhoops

PostPosted: 04/05/07 10:16 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

ucbart wrote:
luvDhoops wrote:

Any team that shoots a combined 35% in the FF and still wins the title doesn't get perched very high up in the best teams of all time.

Absolutely no place in my entire post did I say a damn thing about they should be ranked the "best of all time". No place. Now, perhaps someone can answer the question that I did indeed pose about where they should be ranked among teams, not expected to win it all.

PUmatty

PostPosted: 04/05/07 10:40 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

luvDhoops wrote:
Or, the Irish or Purdue teams? Were they favorites in those years, I can't remember?

[/quote]

Purdue entered the NCAA as the overall No. 1 seed and the No. 1 team in the country. They were on a 20+ game winning streak. They had wins over two other No. 1 seeds, and what was, at the time, possibly the best backcourt in the history of WCBB.

So, yes, they were the favorite.

cthskzfn

Location: In a world where a PSYCHOpath like Trump isn't potus.

PostPosted: 04/06/07 6:31 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

PUmatty wrote:
bballjunkee212 wrote:

Ralph and Svet played when Notre Dame gave UConn a beatdown in South Bend earlier that year though.

and what happened when duke played at ru this past december?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    RebKell's Junkie Boards Forum Index » NCAA Women's Basketball - General Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: