RebKell's Junkie Boards
Board Junkies Forums

And the new Washington Huskies coach is...
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    RebKell's Junkie Boards Forum Index » NCAA Women's Basketball - General Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
CamrnCrz1974

PostPosted: 04/04/07 2:14 pm    ::: And the new Washington Huskies coach is... Reply Reply with quote

Tia Jackson

ucbart

PostPosted: 04/04/07 2:21 pm    ::: Re: And the new Washington Huskies coach is... Reply Reply with quote

CamrnCrz1974 wrote:
Tia Jackson

Great pickup for UW. Washington has some good HS players, let's hope she can get them to say in-state.

BBallFanCT729

PostPosted: 04/04/07 2:22 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

http://seattlepi.nwsource.com/cbasketball/310270_uwom05.html

Nice hire for the Huskies, imo.

Wonder what effect this will have on Duke's recruiting.

beknighted

PostPosted: 04/04/07 2:33 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Right now (and I realize this will change as soon as this post goes up), the thread titles are arranged so that they read:

And the new Washington Huskies coach is . . .

Don Imus

Now there's a mental picture for you.

bballfan2005

PostPosted: 04/04/07 2:38 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Incredible, outstanding pick-up for Washington! Very Happy Tia will be able to recruit Seattle players to UW, so don't worry about that! Sad Crying or Very sad to see her leave us, but she's going to do MAJOR things out west.

I love how UW has gone with black coaches for football, men's basketball, and women's basketball. They are making a very srong (positive) statement with their recruitment of minority coaches for major sports.

Mathies to LA 2013
Queenie

PostPosted: 04/04/07 2:50 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Is this the same Tia Jackson who played at Iowa and was drafted by the Mercury in '97?

PostPosted: 04/04/07 2:52 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Problem is, while it may generate a buzz for the program back East. No one in Seattle knows who she is. Is she a great recruiter, all signs point to yes, but anyone think a top-rated player from back east is going to come out here just to play for her?

I love the statement that it makes for this university (with Willingham and Romar). My concerns are the lack of name recognition out here, and that if she's as good as advertised she'll jump for a more high profile job back east after a couple of years and we're back to square one.

John Wooden
fancy_daniel

PostPosted: 04/04/07 3:02 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Great, great, great hire. I'm so glad another former Duke assistant is getting a chance in the Pac-10. Goestenkors is influencing the conference with the likes of LaVonda Wagner, Boyle and now Jackson. This will be good for the conference. There are tons of top Washington players and now, they have someone that can keep them in state.

scullyfu

PostPosted: 04/04/07 3:05 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

i appreciate where you're coming from with the 'name' coach, aj. but wins are what put butts in the seat. if tia can produce a winning team and get some quality local recruits to stay home, the fans will once again fill the arena. i checked out tia's bio over at the duke site and she looks highly qualified; not a household name, but a good pick with a solid resume.

PostPosted: 04/04/07 3:24 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

scullyfu wrote:
i appreciate where you're coming from with the 'name' coach, aj. but wins are what put butts in the seat. if tia can produce a winning team and get some quality local recruits to stay home, the fans will once again fill the arena. i checked out tia's bio over at the duke site and she looks highly qualified; not a household name, but a good pick with a solid resume.

Good point scully. And with so many coaches having left the ranks this season, it is time to elevate some of these top assistants. Tia looks like she has all the experience necessary to do a tremendous job.

caune

PostPosted: 04/04/07 4:28 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Queenie wrote:
Is this the same Tia Jackson who played at Iowa and was drafted by the Mercury in '97?

Yes Queenie, one in the same!
She's a sweety..not sure she is ready for prime time coaching, but at least the fashion police will have no complaints Shocked shes very stylish Wink

PostPosted: 04/04/07 6:05 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

No one knew Jackon when she came to UCLA from Stanford yet she singlehandedly turned the recruiting around. If she has complete control over her program, UW will be a contender very quickly with her recruiting alone.

Sass

PostPosted: 04/04/07 6:28 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

She's easy on the eyes:

http://www.theacc.com/sports/w-baskbl/spec-rel/050905aab.html

He's the greatest of the greater
get it straight - he's great
- Run-DMC
hooper1

PostPosted: 04/04/07 8:39 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Who the hell is Tia Jackson?!!!

And if we had to hire an assistant coach (where are all those people who said UW would NEVER hire someone without head coaching experience?), why not someone who people know, like Marciniak or Shimmy Gray?

It's nice that the they'll get the racists label off their backs with Tia, and I wish her luck, but I'm not sure this will create much buzz for the program (when even long-time fans don't know her.)

Hey UCLA fans, how was she when she was working with Olivier?

CamrnCrz1974

PostPosted: 04/04/07 8:43 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

hooper1 wrote:

Former assistant coach at VCU, Stanford, UCLA, and most recently, Duke. She was Duke's best recruiter. She has 11 years of experience as an assistant coach and was considered a rising star.

ajdawg7

PostPosted: 04/04/07 10:21 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

hooper1 wrote:

And if we had to hire an assistant coach (where are all those people who said UW would NEVER hire someone without head coaching experience?), why not someone who people know, like Marciniak or Shimmy Gray?

It's nice that the they'll get the racists label off their backs with Tia, and I wish her luck, but I'm not sure this will create much buzz for the program (when even long-time fans don't know her.)

Given Willingham and Romar, not exactly sure how one could say that anyone at UW is racist.

I have four words for Tia "Welcome" and now "Teach, Develop, Win!".

First order of teaching business is with the guards on post entry passes, you've got some good ones coming in (posts that is) and the old staff wasn't so hot on the teach/develop thing which led to them being no so hot on the win thing.

GO DAWGS!

John Wooden
hooper1

PostPosted: 04/04/07 11:02 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

ajdawg7 wrote:
hooper1 wrote:

Given Willingham and Romar, not exactly sure how one could say that anyone at UW is racist.

First order of teaching business is with the guards on post entry passes, you've got some good ones coming in (posts that is) and the old staff wasn't so hot on the teach/develop thing which led to them being no so hot on the win thing.

GO DAWGS!

There were numerous complaints about Daugherty over recruiting white, suburban kids to the team. Whether you call that racism or not is your choice, but she has had an awful lot of white women on her teams.

Agreed on your point about passes inside. I think UW always relied too much on the 3-point shot and neglected the inside-out game.

ajdawg7

PostPosted: 04/04/07 11:19 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

hooper1 wrote:
ajdawg7 wrote:
hooper1 wrote:

GO DAWGS!

There were numerous complaints about Daugherty over recruiting white, suburban kids to the team. Whether you call that racism or not is your choice, but she has had an awful lot of white women on her teams.

Agreed on your point about passes inside. I think UW always relied too much on the 3-point shot and neglected the inside-out game.

Maybe because the are more people in the suburbs of Seattle than there are in the city itself now.

I wonder if Cameo Hicks, Dominique Banks, Jill Bell, Stefanie Clark, Cheri Craddock, and Angie Jones think she's racist. June has many faults, I don't think racism was one of them. Being a bad coach was the biggest one in my book.

John Wooden
ajdawg7

PostPosted: 04/04/07 11:21 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Or Candice Nichols who's on her way to the UW.

For that matter Regina Rogers or Christina Nzekwe who I know were both recruited and chose to go elsewhere.

John Wooden
eclair

PostPosted: 04/04/07 11:24 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

hooper1 wrote:

Why not someone who people know? What people are you talking about? Ignorant people?

I'd venture that a thousand times more people who actually know about basketball hold Jackson in higher regard than Marciniak. There's name recognition, and then there's reputation recognition.
But 3M's not ready for the UW, and the UW women deserve much, much better, frankly.

Tia Jackson=The Right Choice. I am hopefully excited.

And who gives a shit about the "racist label?" That was Daugherty's MO, not the University's.

ajdawg7

PostPosted: 04/04/07 11:35 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Thanks eclair, that was my larger point.

I don't think there's another d-1 (in both football and mcbb+wcbb) that has an African-American head coach in all 3.

How many people in Seattle are there that could reputation recognize Tia Jackson? Until you start winning, that's what it comes down to in terms of attendance.

Don't get me wrong, I'm confident she'll do a marvelous job and it's about time we had a coach that actually knew something about the game of basketball.

My largest concern is what happens 3-5 years from now when she's built the program to a top-25 caliber team in the tournament each year with improvement and some higher profile school back east comes calling?

We'll be right back where we are now trying to lure someone to a job that is not a "destination" job, it could be 5-10 years from now, but as it is now, it's not.

John Wooden
ZuG102

PostPosted: 04/05/07 1:56 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

That's great news. Now UW will actually be able to use their talent.

FS02

PostPosted: 04/05/07 11:18 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

caune wrote:
Queenie wrote:

She's a sweety..not sure she is ready for prime time coaching, but at least the fashion police will have no complaints Shocked shes very stylish Wink

It's high time that CTT had some competition.

fancy_daniel

PostPosted: 04/05/07 12:10 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

hooper1 wrote:

Remember, google is your friend. I was pleasantly surprised when I started reading up on her yesterday.
Quote:

Excellent point Hooper. The school opened its possibilities by considering other coaches. I think there are some gems in those assistant coaching ranks. Who knows who will be the next Gail Goestenkors.
Quote:

I'm not sure where the racist label is coming from. Washington is probably one of the most progressive hiring environments when it comes to coaches. They have a black head coach in mens' basketball (Lorenzo Romar) and football (Tyrone Willingham).[/quote]

fancy_daniel

PostPosted: 04/05/07 12:10 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

FS02 wrote:
caune wrote:
Queenie wrote:

It's high time that CTT had some competition.

CTT knows how to dress but she's rather conservative. Tia is all glam while still looking professional.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    RebKell's Junkie Boards Forum Index » NCAA Women's Basketball - General Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3

Jump to: