RebKell's Junkie Boards
Board Junkies Forums

LSU does need a house cleaning

Post new topic   Reply to topic    RebKell's Junkie Boards Forum Index » NCAA Women's Basketball - General Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
LTF1

PostPosted: 04/02/07 11:04 am    ::: LSU does need a house cleaning Reply Reply with quote

Not just Chatman, but Starkey and the rest of the coaches need to go too. LSU had one obvious problem before the season even started: no offense. Seimone graduated and took her 20 points a game with her from a team that had trouble scoring when she was on it!

The coaching staff did NOTHING to boost LSU's offense. What could they have done?

First, Allison Hightower should have been STARTING all season instead of coming off the bench. She needs the consistency of a lot of mins game in and game out. She has great moves (although she overshoots near the basket which should improve with EXPERIENCE), a good outside shot, and potential to explode offensively (something LeBlanc does not have). As for defense, Hightower did well and worked as hard as any freshman I have ever seen.

Second, give Katie Antony a chance at least first or second off the bench. She's a scorer but was regulated to bench warmer from the get go. Never mind that for 2/3 of the season, Chaney couldn't throw the proverbial pea in the ocean, she got to conduct missathons game after game while Antony sat. Furthermore, Chaney couldn't keep her hands on the bloody ball. Did anyone wonder why down the wire in the second half of the UCONN game, Starkey put Hightower in and pulled Chaney out? Look at the stats, in roughly equal mins, Chaney had FIVE turnovers to Hightower's zero.

Chaney's defense is strong (as with all LSU players) but if she's struggling on offense (which is often), pull Antony off the bench.

Third, give the 3-ball a chance. Gunter didn't know how to use it, Chatman didn't like it, and the people we recruited to shoot it either didn't get the green light or get to play. In the same vein:

Fourth, recruit some shooters. Chatman has recruited great athletes, but except for Seimone we haven't had anyone who could consistently shoot the ball from the perimeter since April Brown, Katrina Hibbert, and LaTasha Dorsey graduated many many moons ago. (The Hodges were an absolute shooting disaster). Temeka Johnson could hit consistently from 15 ft, but from 16 ft or out, close your eyes and pray.

Since Starkey has been there with his motion offense, teams know how to beat LSU: pack your zone. This usually doesn't work for good, mediocre, and crummy teams--but playing man wouldn't either. When great teams pack a zone, LSU loses and it has been that way for at least eight years.

There, I have vented and feel a lot better Very Happy

A life of leisure is no life you know"

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aPeJixp-zp4&feature=related
mercfan3

PostPosted: 04/02/07 12:53 pm    ::: Re: LSU does need a house cleaning Reply Reply with quote

LTF1 wrote:
Not just Chatman, but Starkey and the rest of the coaches need to go too. LSU had one obvious problem before the season even started: no offense. Seimone graduated and took her 20 points a game with her from a team that had trouble scoring when she was on it!

The coaching staff did NOTHING to boost LSU's offense. What could they have done?

First, Allison Hightower should have been STARTING all season instead of coming off the bench. She needs the consistency of a lot of mins game in and game out. She has great moves (although she overshoots near the basket which should improve with EXPERIENCE), a good outside shot, and potential to explode offensively (something LeBlanc does not have). As for defense, Hightower did well and worked as hard as any freshman I have ever seen.

Second, give Katie Antony a chance at least first or second off the bench. She's a scorer but was regulated to bench warmer from the get go. Never mind that for 2/3 of the season, Chaney couldn't throw the proverbial pea in the ocean, she got to conduct missathons game after game while Antony sat. Furthermore, Chaney couldn't keep her hands on the bloody ball. Did anyone wonder why down the wire in the second half of the UCONN game, Starkey put Hightower in and pulled Chaney out? Look at the stats, in roughly equal mins, Chaney had FIVE turnovers to Hightower's zero.

Chaney's defense is strong (as with all LSU players) but if she's struggling on offense (which is often), pull Antony off the bench.

Third, give the 3-ball a chance. Gunter didn't know how to use it, Chatman didn't like it, and the people we recruited to shoot it either didn't get the green light or get to play. In the same vein:

Fourth, recruit some shooters. Chatman has recruited great athletes, but except for Seimone we haven't had anyone who could consistently shoot the ball from the perimeter since April Brown, Katrina Hibbert, and LaTasha Dorsey graduated many many moons ago. (The Hodges were an absolute shooting disaster). Temeka Johnson could hit consistently from 15 ft, but from 16 ft or out, close your eyes and pray.

Since Starkey has been there with his motion offense, teams know how to beat LSU: pack your zone. This usually doesn't work for good, mediocre, and crummy teams--but playing man wouldn't either. When great teams pack a zone, LSU loses and it has been that way for at least eight years.

There, I have vented and feel a lot better Very Happy

Yeah..that worked great for Uconn..
except you shot 70% from three, and Fowels still dominated.

PostPosted: 04/02/07 1:16 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Even blind pigs find acorns once in a while. To point out that the team got hot once or twice in the season doesn't take away from the fact they were a very limited team.

http://www.womensbasketballonline.com/birthdays/index.html

Let me know of any players/teams you wish to see added!
LTF1

PostPosted: 04/02/07 1:42 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

mercfan:"Yeah..that worked great for Uconn.."

That may have said more about "you con" than LSU (sorry couldn't resist Very Happy ). As ucbart noted during that game, he had seen LSU a number of times and that the LadyTigers seemed to struggle offensively against everybody "except us."

In order to win that game two things had to happen for LSU:
1. LSU needed to hit from the perimeter
2. Uconn needed to miss from the perimeter.

They happened and I think Uconn was just plain unlucky. LSU is not a good shooting team, and you take away Fowles inside gimmees and they're far far worse.

The truth is I think LSU would not beat Uconn more than 3 out of ten games. But that weaker teams might win once is why they play the games at all to see who goes to the FF. (Of course we saved you the trouble of losing again to Rutgers Smile

fancy_daniel

PostPosted: 04/02/07 1:49 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Sternvogel wrote:
Even blind pigs find acorns once in a while. To point out that the team got hot once or twice in the season doesn't take away from the fact they were a very limited team.

I think they've gotten a bit better and the two games vs. Uconn were an indication. But generally, LSU is a very limited offensive team as demonstrated by Rutgers. They shut Sylvia down and dared the rest of the team to make shots and they fared poorly.

Regardless, since Starkey will not be head coach, expect a whole new crew in the next month or so. I think Fowles coming back will definitely keep the rest of the team motivated.

00NDROCKS

PostPosted: 04/02/07 2:16 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

How tough to have 4 in a row Final Four's and no victory ... Sad Embarassed Shocked

" My best seasons in the WNBA have been the two that I spent in Indiana. Not only did I get the chance to play in front of some of the most passionate fans in the WNBA, but I also had an incredible opportunity to play alongside one of the best players in the history of the game in Tamika Catchings. " ANNA DEFORGE.
caune

PostPosted: 04/02/07 2:33 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

yeah, clean house and kick Sylvia's ass out into the real world....in Phoenix, where she will rarely, if ever, be double and tripled teamed with the likes of DT, Cappie and Penny on the outside Wink

I know, she said she's staying....but boy she'd look good in the Mercury line up, no?

PostPosted: 04/02/07 3:07 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

oondrocks:"How tough to have 4 in a row Final Four's and no victory ..."

Not really. It's better than not going at all. When I started following LSU wcbb 10 years ago they were depending on two juco transfer seniors (Elaine Powell and Pietra Gay) to just make the NCAA tourney and save Sue's job. LSU went to the Sweet 16. Yeah! The following year, they got bounced from the WNIT (by Baylor I think) after finishing 7-7 in the SEC.

This year, even before the Chatman business, they should never have gotten to the Elite 8, much less the FF.

I am happy if we can beat Tn once a year a be competitive for the SEC Regular Season and SEC Tourney titles.

And our motto is "Better to lose to whoever in the FF than Tenn anytime" Smile

njjosh

PostPosted: 04/02/07 3:31 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

LTF1 wrote:

And our motto is "Better to lose to whoever in the FF than Tenn anytime" Smile

Which I still don't understand. I would think that, at a point, having a lot of success overall and some against Tennessee but still not winning the ultimate prize would become dissappointing.

Ask Duke how much their regular season wins over North Carolina and Tennessee mean now that they've once again blown a shot at a championship. Ask them how much their 22-point win over the Lady Vols last year meant after they gagged away the championship game against Maryland.

And if Tennessee somehow loses to Rutgers tomorrow, I guarantee you that they're not going to be taking solace in the fact that they made a big comeback in the final minutes to beat North Carolina in the semis. Certainly Parker won't, given how she's said she needs to win a title before she can be compared to Holdsclaw, etc.

fancy_daniel

PostPosted: 04/03/07 12:20 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Another positive article regarding Starkey's role on the team. Interesting read...

http://msn.foxsports.com/wcbk/story/6637418

Slovydal

PostPosted: 04/03/07 12:47 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

caune wrote:
yeah, clean house and kick Sylvia's ass out into the real world....in Phoenix, where she will rarely, if ever, be double and tripled teamed with the likes of DT, Cappie and Penny on the outside Wink

I know, she said she's staying....but boy she'd look good in the Mercury line up, no?

I'm still bummed for Mercury fans that she's not coming out this year. Sylvia would be so perfect for Phoenix.

fancy_daniel

PostPosted: 04/03/07 12:49 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Slovydal wrote:
caune wrote:

I'm still bummed for Mercury fans that she's not coming out this year. Sylvia would be so perfect for Phoenix.

Yeah, she's got the size and athleticism. Don't worry, there's always J. Davenport. Very Happy

fancy_daniel

PostPosted: 04/03/07 12:50 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

fancy_daniel wrote:
Another positive article regarding Starkey's role on the team. Interesting read...

http://msn.foxsports.com/wcbk/story/6637418

Quote:
LSU athletic director Skip Bertman said he would like to see the coach he hires to replace Chatman give serious consideration to retaining Starkey.

"I won't demand that, but I would look at coaches that could keep Bob Starkey," Bertman said.

LTF1

PostPosted: 04/03/07 3:50 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

njj:"Which I still don't understand. I would think that, at a point, having a lot of success overall and some against Tennessee but still not winning the ultimate prize would become dissappointing. "

To you and to others, maybe, but not to me. There are HOW MANY NCAA DIVISION I teams? 300 or somesuch? The statistical chances of winning a NC all things being equal would be what in a given year? 1 in 300? And all things aren't equal, some schools, St. Pat at Tn, Geno at UCONN, got the jump on everybody else. Furthermore, REALLY, how many schools can sustain financial support to a money losing proposition (look at Duke at Gail going their separate ways)

Furthermore, did Gail consider LSU? No. Why? MONEY. Heck, we can't compete with Florida financially, so WHY should I get upset if LSU can't BUY a national championship (or most anyone else for that matter)?

I'm happy if we can humiliate the great Summit once a year and steal a regular season or conference tourney against the really big bucks. Heck, my favorite team lost in the Elite 8 to UCONN, not in the Final Four four times. And indeed, if LSU EVER wins the NC, my guess is my FAVORITE team will still be MMMMMARRRRIIIEEEE, April, Katrina, Detrina et al...

Bottom line: I am not a fan because I am obsessed with winning (not the American way I know, but of which I have been often falsely accused)

Lurker_12

PostPosted: 04/03/07 6:27 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Quote:
"I'm not really worrying about coach Starkey not being here. I'm pretty sure he will (be back)," said Fowles, LSU's 6-foot-6 center, who led the team in scoring and rebounding this season.

I don't usually make predictions but I just have the same feeling about retaining Starkey as Big Syl, I too think he will be back. I'll go even further in saying I think Van is going to be the new HC, and he be ok with keeping him onboard. Could be wrong, but whatever happens, I hope (first) the LSU players and (second) the fans will be happy.

Well behaved women seldom make history...

Eer's & Hoo's & Huskies & me Libbie's !
icey23

PostPosted: 04/03/07 10:43 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

So now we have Stringer to LSU rumors.

Page 1 of 1

Jump to: