RebKell's Junkie Boards
Board Junkies Forums

Don Imus
Goto page 1, 2, 3 ... 12, 13, 14  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    RebKell's Junkie Boards Forum Index » NCAA Women's Basketball - General Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
spacey

PostPosted: 04/04/07 5:54 am    ::: Don Imus Reply Reply with quote

did anyone hear Don Imus and his description of the Rutgers women's team this AM? I was shocked. Shocked

AccFan72

PostPosted: 04/04/07 6:14 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

I didn't know anyone listened to Imus since the 90's. Smile

spacey

PostPosted: 04/04/07 7:00 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

AccFan72 wrote:

I don't make it a habit, but was channel surfing and happened to hit msnbc which airs his radio show as he mentioned the Finals.

He made comments about the Rutgers women being "rough looking with tattoos" and a little later referred to them as "nappy-headed hos"...

IMO, there's no place for that kind of attack on student athletes excelling at a high level.

jp81976

PostPosted: 04/04/07 9:21 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

spacey wrote:
AccFan72 wrote:

I don't make it a habit, but was channel surfing and happened to hit msnbc which airs his radio show as he mentioned the Finals.

He made comments about the Rutgers women being "rough looking with tattoos" and a little later referred to them as "nappy-headed hos"...

IMO, there's no place for that kind of attack on student athletes excelling at a high level.

that's why I laugh when people attack someone like Howard Stern. Howard is a father of 3 young daughters and is responsible with what comes out of his mouth. he would never say something like that about these girls. And he's been saying for years that Imus is racist and sexist but people don't take him seriously because Howard likes to look at women's breasts...heck now that he's engaged he barely has that on the show anymore...

oh well, just another shock jock making an ass of himself (Rush Limbaugh anyone?) while Howard continues to be the misunderstood entertainer...

dtsnms

PostPosted: 04/04/07 9:23 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

oh please....stern misunderstood my ass.

Imus jokes around all the time with stuff like that; no group is safe, why should RU be? Just laugh it off. You don't normally listen to him, and then you come here and get on his case when you don't know any of the context of his show?

Looks like you just wanted to cause trouble if you ask me.

caune

PostPosted: 04/04/07 10:04 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

hmm, seems to me Imus hasn't really looked at the team but wanted to stir things up...I mean come on, the players all had sleek ponytails not nappy heads... Wink
I stopped noticing Tatoos years ago, they're so "common" now Rolling Eyes
did Rutgers players have lot's of them?

PostPosted: 04/04/07 2:22 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

caune wrote:
hmm, seems to me Imus hasn't really looked at the team but wanted to stir things up...I mean come on, the players all had sleek ponytails not nappy heads... Wink

Kia Vaughn has a pretty big tattoo on her upper arm, although it's mostly covered up by the sleeve she wears on that arm. (I don't know if she does it to cover up the tattoo or if she wears it for some other reason.) I don't know about the other players, honestly, and don't much care, either. I saw a fair number of them on fans this weekend, as I recall.

LTF1

PostPosted: 04/04/07 6:49 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

spacey wrote:
Quote:

So is it ok to attack student athletes who are excelling (or not) at a lower level? Laughing

A life of leisure is no life you know"

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aPeJixp-zp4&feature=related
luvDhoops

PostPosted: 04/04/07 10:00 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

caune wrote:

I mean my question is, wtf was wrong with "nappy" hair to begin with? I mean, it's the hair they were more than likely born with before "Motion" or "Just For Me" took affect.

caune

PostPosted: 04/05/07 1:54 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

luvDhoops wrote:
caune wrote:

I mean my question is, wtf was wrong with "nappy" hair to begin with? I mean, it's the hair they were more than likely born with before "Motion" or "Just For Me" took affect.

LOL, well I love Cappies hair when it's nappy Wink and Cissy Pierce too
but my point was that there were no "nappy headed" players on that team so he was just stiring shit!

PostPosted: 04/05/07 1:59 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Imus likes to stir things up. . .he probably couldn't pick out the Rutgers players if they were standing in front of him. He likes to piss people off-looks like he succeded.

I am not saying it isn't wrong, I am just saying he is an old blowhard who likes to hear himself talk.

Last edited by lzrdgrl on 04/05/07 6:02 pm; edited 1 time in total
bballfan2005

PostPosted: 04/05/07 5:04 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

I wonder if Imus would've said anything disparaging about Wyoming, South Dakota State, or Kansas State. If one can't find something horribly wrong with what he said, then that's truly sad. He's not "joking around". He honestly believes the bullshit he says.

For the record, there were more girls with "nappy hair" playing for the team in orange than there were playing for the team in scarlet. The Rutgers kids might not've won the title, but at least they did have their hair done nicely for the most part. Ajavon and Carson had fabulous hairstyles.

Mathies to LA 2013
Str8_Butta

PostPosted: 04/05/07 6:00 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

I heard it on the news today, he's a racist piece of shyt (heard his show before) who needs that shriveled up azz kicked.

FWIW, I didn't see any nappy heads on either team. If there were, who the eff cares? This isn't a damn straight hair contest, it's Basketball!

Last edited by Str8_Butta on 04/05/07 6:03 pm; edited 1 time in total
pilight

PostPosted: 04/05/07 6:02 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Str8_Butta33 wrote:
I heard it on the news today, he's a racist piece of shyt (heard his show before) who needs that shriveled up azz kicked.

He's the same one that said Venus and Serena were better suited to National Geographic than Playboy.

PostPosted: 04/05/07 8:51 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

media matters article which has transcript and video clip...

Imus called women's basketball team "nappy-headed hos"

memphis10

PostPosted: 04/05/07 9:22 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

That drunk, meth head looking MF has the audacity to comment on someone else's appearance!?! And for the record, when you refer to people as "The Jigaboos vs. The Wannabees" that's just flat out racist and if you say it's anything else, then something is SERIOUSLY wrong with you.

C. Viv. Now is the time for you to raise all Hell about what you're team shouldn't have to take.

R.I.P Shara 1993-2009
R.I.P. Taylor Bradford
beknighted

PostPosted: 04/05/07 10:27 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

memphis10 wrote:
That drunk, meth head looking MF has the audacity to comment on someone else's appearance!?! And for the record, when you refer to people as "The Jigaboos vs. The Wannabees" that's just flat out racist and if you say it's anything else, then something is SERIOUSLY wrong with you.

C. Viv. Now is the time for you to raise all Hell about what you're team shouldn't have to take.

Rutgers has issued a response to his pseudo apology, which actually was pretty clever, and I think that's all that will happen from RU's end.

However, there's a post on the RU board with all of the relevant contact information for MSNBC and WFAN, which runs the show on the radio. Here's a link:

Imus the ignoramus

memphis10

PostPosted: 04/05/07 11:03 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Already had that BeKnighted but thanks. It's a sad day for Rutgers' student-athletes if the administration doesn't do something a little stronger than a clever response. If the New Jersey Governor is truly interested in the program, then he should get involved as well.

R.I.P Shara 1993-2009
R.I.P. Taylor Bradford
beknighted

PostPosted: 04/06/07 9:52 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

memphis10 wrote:
Already had that BeKnighted but thanks. It's a sad day for Rutgers' student-athletes if the administration doesn't do something a little stronger than a clever response. If the New Jersey Governor is truly interested in the program, then he should get involved as well.

I suspect that RU has taken the approach it has for two reasons. The first is that there's been a huge burst of good publicity for the university from the Final Four and they want to emphasize the good news without having the Imus thing show up in the sixth paragraph of every story. I think that's smart public relations, and I would guess that the team would rather have the positive stories out there than the responses to an idiot (which, after all, will cause more stories that repeat what he said).

The second is that it's hard for a big public institution to get involved in something like this without looking like it's trying to suppress free (if remarkably stupid) speech.

LTF1

PostPosted: 04/06/07 1:41 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

I think the comments overall were racist. Now if he had left it at "some rough girls from Rutgers. They got tattoos," and "The girls from Tennessee -- they all looked cute" it would not have been. Alot of people don't like tattoos (myself included) and alot of people would subjectively agree that the girls from Tn provide better eye-candy than Rutgers (myself included). They girls fr Tn play better bb too (which is what really mattered)

A life of leisure is no life you know"

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aPeJixp-zp4&feature=related
Captain Marvel

PostPosted: 04/06/07 2:01 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Imus did apologize this morning at the top of the broadcast. It sounded a bit forced, as if he had been directed to do it, quite frankly. At any rate, I don't think this is the end of it all.

pilight

PostPosted: 04/06/07 4:24 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Made a second round topic on Around the Horn, all of the panelists ripped Imus.

PostPosted: 04/06/07 4:40 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

The PTI guys are on it also. Wilbon ripped him, Kornheiser made excuses for him.

PostPosted: 04/06/07 4:43 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

pilight wrote:
The PTI guys are on it also. Wilbon ripped him, Kornheiser made excuses for him.

And bballfan2005 is not surprised.

Thanks for the program update. I'll be sure to watch when PTI reairs.

Mathies to LA 2013
pilight

PostPosted: 04/06/07 4:50 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

bballfan2005 wrote:
pilight wrote:

And bballfan2005 is not surprised.

Thanks for the program update. I'll be sure to watch when PTI reairs.

I was disappointed in Kornheiser. It's one thing to hate women's sports, as he does, but to make the "sometimes with an open mike..." excuse for someone with a very long history of the same old crap is just ridiculous. I'd like to think he's just being the devil's advocate, PTI doesn't work when the guys agree too much, but he stuck to his guns a little too hard for me to believe it.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    RebKell's Junkie Boards Forum Index » NCAA Women's Basketball - General Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3 ... 12, 13, 14  Next
Page 1 of 14

Jump to: