RebKell's Junkie Boards
Board Junkies Forums

Don Imus
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... , 12, 13, 14  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    RebKell's Junkie Boards Forum Index » NCAA Women's Basketball - General Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
MsTena-T

PostPosted: 04/12/07 3:04 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

dtsnms wrote:
Ah Tony, the homosexual hating football coach has pain huh? Shame ain't it?

Sooo DTS exactly who is "qualified" according to you to have an opinion on this situation?

See what I have problem with is this IMUS has a HISTORY an ongoing history of slurs . . . sooo should he never be checked or pay the consequences for that?

Or better yet should only non-black folks be the ones making comment on this situation?

This ain't his 1st or 2nd or 3rd offense.

harlem_basketball

PostPosted: 04/12/07 3:08 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

MsTena-T wrote:
harlem_basketball wrote:
pilight wrote:
Snoop Dogg on Imus:

http://www.mtv.com/news/articles/1556803/20070410/id_0.jhtml

Quote:
[Rappers] are not talking about no collegiate basketball girls who have made it to the next level in education and sports. We're talking about ho's that's in the 'hood that ain't doing sh--, that's trying to get a n---a for his money. These are two separate things. First of all, we ain't no old-ass white men that sit up on MSNBC [which announced Wednesday it would drop its simulcast of Imus' radio show] going hard on black girls. We are rappers that have these songs coming from our minds and our souls that are relevant to what we feel. I will not let them mutha----as say we in the same league as him.

It's always fun when they quote the coons for "balance".

LOL! It is!

Every educated black person in America upon reading this just said:

Snoop Dogg? Fucking Snoop Dogg? Hell, you coulda called my ass at work if you needed a quote. You just had to ask his ass didn't you? Who's next 50 Cent? Flavor Flav? Diddy? Fuckin Snoop Dogg.

Turns to their co-worker: Yo, Derek, they quoted Snoop Dogg, you believe this shit?' Unbelievable.

Turns back to the article: Oh I just know you're going to find the brotha with no damn teeth in his mouth who wants to give a shout out to Pookie, Ray Ray and his babymama in time for the 6 o'clock news, ain't cha? Rolling Eyes

dtsnms

PostPosted: 04/12/07 3:09 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

MsTena-T wrote:
dtsnms wrote:
Ah Tony, the homosexual hating football coach has pain huh? Shame ain't it?

Sooo DTS exactly who is "qualified" according to you to have an opinion on this situation?

See what I have problem with is this IMUS has a HISTORY an ongoing history of slurs . . . sooo should he never be checked or pay the consequences for that?

Or better yet should only non-black folks be the ones making comment on this situation?

This ain't his 1st or 2nd or 3rd offense.

Tena, you don't think that Tony Dungy, after appearing at a homosexual-hate group event is being a little hypocritical here in criticizing someone for what they said? Besides, we already heard from Snoop now. What could anyone else add?

pilight

PostPosted: 04/12/07 3:19 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

More Davey D on Imus

http://www.mercurynews.com/eyeheadlines/ci_5648872

Quote:
Imus was correct. A lot of hip-hop artists have said worse things. It was only last week that we saw Snoop Dogg being praised for criticizing conservative pundit Bill O'Reilly on a popular Netherlands TV talk show.

PostPosted: 04/12/07 6:57 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Ah, the resident coon quotable has spoken.....we can all go home happy now because Snoop has proven our point, no matter what side of this debate you are on.....all that's missing is an asinine excuse from Hustle Simmons.

Hip Hop just died this mornin' and she's deaad she's deaad.

Nas summed up my feelings perfectly on rap music.....and I'm finding more and more that we're hardly alone.

Quote:
Unforgettable, unsubmittable, I go by N now
Just one syllable, it's the end cause the game's tired
It's the same vibe, Good Times had right after James died
That's why the gangsta rhymers ain't inspired
Heinous crimes help record sales more than creative lines

And I don't wanna keep bringing up the greater times
But I'm a dreamer nostalgic with the state of mind

Now that they've fired Imus, can they go down the dial and wipe out Shot 97? I'll wait.

By the way, I give Al Sharpton hell just like the next person, but he is not the one to ask "why blacks aren't doing anything about rap music" (although I'm sure in the last week, we've all learned how untrue that is....right?).

Rev Al has long been railing against commercial rap music even going so far as to try and get more airplay for rappers who promote more positive images. But when huge corporations ([sarcasm]run by blacks I'm sure[/sarcasm]) are paying DJ's and program directors hundreds of thousands of dollars to play "F*** You, Bang Bang, N****a Die Slow" music as my man Star used to say........

For the record, I don't agree with Imus being fired....and I actually grew up listening to him.

PostPosted: 04/12/07 7:12 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

timber wrote:
But when huge corporations ([sarcasm]run by blacks I'm sure[/sarcasm]) are paying DJ's and program directors...

how 'bout the one huge corporation that is run by blacks? Any chance it'll get the message?

http://passtheword.wordpress.com/2007/04/11/nappy-headed-imus-viii-next-target-bet/

my guess: no.

meanwhile, for the first time in about 3 years, i find myself agreeing with something written by glenn reynolds: "I've never liked Imus, and his comments were disgraceful, but this seems like it's been a feeding frenzy. And, really, who cares what Al Sharpton and Jesse Jackson think about proper public demeanor?"

timber

PostPosted: 04/12/07 7:26 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

womens_hoops wrote:
timber wrote:
But when huge corporations ([sarcasm]run by blacks I'm sure[/sarcasm]) are paying DJ's and program directors...

how 'bout the one huge corporation that is run by blacks? Any chance it'll get the message?

http://passtheword.wordpress.com/2007/04/11/nappy-headed-imus-viii-next-target-bet/

meanwhile, for the first time in about 3 years, i find myself agreeing with something written by glenn reynolds: "I've never liked Imus, and his comments were disgraceful, but this seems like it's been a feeding frenzy. And, really, who cares what Al Sharpton and Jesse Jackson think about proper public demeanor?"

Viacom owns BET. There isn't a black person running anything up and through BET. That's like attacking Def Jam because Jay-Z's the president or Hustle Simmons was the co-founder. Jay-Z can't take a piss without Universal/Vivendi saying so.

Trust, I've been on the conga line calling BET out for years....as anyone who ever followed the blog is my witness....Blacks Embarassing Themselves, remember....even when Bob Johnson did own it and was shucking and jiving like a sambo up there with that UnCut bs and the cancellation of positive programming like Teen Summitt.

BobCat sold out long before he actually cashed out. Compare BET to how it was even in the early to mid 90's to now and it's no comparison.

Why the change? Huge record labels started paying the network to play certain videos 3 times an hour around 1996. Huge record labels....which brings us back to our original point.

PostPosted: 04/12/07 7:37 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

timber wrote:
There isn't a black person running anything up and through BET.

Debra and Reginald are black, no? Most of the day-to-day ops and programming people too...

They must have at least some say about what gets on the air.

beknighted

PostPosted: 04/12/07 7:55 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

womens_hoops wrote:
timber wrote:

Yeah, but it's owned by a company run by Sumner Redstone, so . . .

Of course, the complaints about the programming predate that.

I'm actually going to a dinner at Debra Lee's house later this week. In one of the great ironies of the world, it used to be owned by Jack Kent Cooke, the owner of the Redskins, the last team in the NFL to have a black player (although that was before he owned the team).

timber

PostPosted: 04/12/07 7:58 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

womens_hoops wrote:
timber wrote:
There isn't a black person running anything up and through BET.

Debra and Reginald are black, no? Most of the day-to-day ops and programming people too...

They must have at least some say about what gets on the air.

Laughing Debra...ask Sheila about Debra's morals. Black women have been asking for years where her head is at when she watches BET.....Sheila too when it first went downhill.

One of their former employees has been making a fuss over this very topic lately, even bitching about it on Wendy Williams.

When Bob Johnson owned BET in its early days before he jumped the shark and painted his face, the day to day ops and programming people actually had jobs....they got paid like shit, but they actually had jobs....now they have titles.

None of those people have any power. Reggie is the lone crusader over there. I really like some of his new programming ideas.....but he's only been there really in the trenches for a little over a year and Viacom's been battling his vision.

I'd like to be optimistic, but I don't think he'll even be able to change the programming over there completely. His approach is, "if I put enough syndicated shows and original programming on, I can phase out the video shows like MTV did so then the money, power and influence of these record labels won't matter. I can just tell them we don't have the time."

Put it to you this way...

Jay-Z drops a new record...better yet....Young Jeezy drops a new record.

You're the PD over at BET or any radio station...you think the record sucks ass and is nothing but "F*** You, Bang Bang N***a Die Slow" music glorifying everything wrong with society.

You've got a tv show like 106th and Park on BET. It's your main attraction.....kills TRL and has been killing MTV for years. Young Jeezy's the hottest thing going on the charts. A Universal/Def Jam employee gets wind that you don't want to play the record. Calls you up and says, "If you don't play that new Young Jeezy, no Def Jam artist will appear on any BET show until you do."

You're the PD at the Shot 97. Summer Jam is your biggest event....sells out Giants Stadium....you don't want to play Jeezy or anything else you deem negative....but no Jeezy record = no Universal artists on the bill performing at Summer Jam.

You're a mix DJ at Shot 97. You want to play positive music like Common. Shot 97 pays you a salary of $20,000 a year....yet you reach over 2 million listeners daily.

You make your real money going on tour with various rap acts....one of whom is Common. Your bosses at Shot 97 are making you play 50 Cent during your mix show. You refuse.

Interscope Records, 50's label gets mad. Common's got a distribution deal with Geffen Records, owned by.....Interscope. The next day you get a call from Geffen saying you can't dj for Common on his tour because you won't play that new 50. Now you've lost a $4-5,000 a night gig and Shot 97 can replace you because all you dj's sound alike any way.

Are you running things or are Geffen/Interscope, Universal/Def Jam and all these other conglomerates running things?

Last edited by timber on 04/12/07 8:01 pm; edited 1 time in total
womens_hoops

PostPosted: 04/12/07 7:58 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

beknighted wrote:

do you think Sumner Redstone makes programming decisions for all 30 television networks that Viacom owns?

no, he doesn't.

timber

PostPosted: 04/12/07 8:09 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

I didn't even mention the DJ who gladly accepts anywhere from 50-500,000 a year plus freebies ranging from t-shirts to cars from Universal to play records from all of Universal's labels as much as possible.

Funkmaster Flex...DJ Enuff.....enter favorite DJ here.

I wish Eliot Spitzer would hop back on his payola crusade now that he's governor.

At least back in the day, they used to try to be a little more discreet and give these radio and mix show DJ's jobs as A&R's at the label so that they'd look honest in their pushing of certain artists...DJ Clue.

Makes me long for the Frankie Crocker's of the world...at least if he was cashing checks it was for good music and maintained some level of taste. Crying or Very sad

PostPosted: 04/12/07 8:17 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

timber wrote:
womens_hoops wrote:
timber wrote:

Viacom owns BET. There isn't a black person running anything up and through BET. That's like attacking Def Jam because Jay-Z's the president or Hustle Simmons was the co-founder. Jay-Z can't take a piss without Universal/Vivendi saying so.

Trust, I've been on the conga line calling BET out for years....as anyone who ever followed the blog is my witness....Blacks Embarassing Themselves, remember....even when Bob Johnson did own it and was shucking and jiving like a sambo up there with that UnCut bs and the cancellation of positive programming like Teen Summitt.

BobCat sold out long before he actually cashed out. Compare BET to how it was even in the early to mid 90's to now and it's no comparison.

Why the change? Huge record labels started paying the network to play certain videos 3 times an hour around 1996. Huge record labels....which brings us back to our original point.

Don't forget canceling the network's only news program.

timber

PostPosted: 04/12/07 8:27 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Iluvacc wrote:
timber wrote:
womens_hoops wrote:
timber wrote:

Thanks...I knew I left something out. I remember that like it was yesterday too.

I was like, "Black Entertainment Television....oh really? So blacks can't live without one more hour of ass, titties, pimps and gang signs in favor of the news, eh?"

They even had a health show on BET back in the '80s if I remember correctly. <Sigh> I'm reaching that depressed state where I pull out all my old Video LP and Video Soul tapes. Donnie Simpson where are you? Why???????? Crying or Very sad

PostPosted: 04/12/07 8:27 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

womens_hoops wrote:
beknighted wrote:

do you think Sumner Redstone makes programming decisions for all 30 television networks that Viacom owns?

no, he doesn't.

Of course not, but he's still the one in charge.

For that matter, Les Moonves doesn't make the programming decisions for all 120 CBS radio stations, Westwood One and the CBS Radio Network, but we all would agree that he runs the show at CBS Radio.

womens_hoops

PostPosted: 04/12/07 8:30 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Iluvacc wrote:

isn't The Chop Up still on?

timber

PostPosted: 04/12/07 8:39 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

womens_hoops wrote:
Iluvacc wrote:

Now you know good and well there's a difference between BET Monday - Saturday and BET on a Sunday.

That used to piss me off too especially when the church show came on at 4am on Sunday morning right after BET Uncut. How do you start your religious programming right after Tip Drill goes off? At 3:59 Nelly's sliding a credit card down the crack of some stripper's ass and at 4:01 "and the Lord said....."
Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing

Seriously, The Chop Up is the Sunday morning (when either no one's home or no one's awake) post-BobCat bone we were thrown in place of the institution that was BET Nightly News that came on at the same time as the regular news. It's a start....albeit a slow one.

PostPosted: 04/12/07 8:39 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

timber wrote:
Iluvacc wrote:
timber wrote:
womens_hoops wrote:
timber wrote:

Thanks...I knew I left something out. I remember that like it was yesterday too.

I was like, "Black Entertainment Television....oh really? So blacks can't live without one more hour of ass, titties, pimps and gang signs in favor of the news, eh?"

They even had a health show on BET back in the '80s if I remember correctly. <Sigh> I'm reaching that depressed state where I pull out all my old Video LP and Video Soul tapes. Donnie Simpson where are you? Why???????? Crying or Very sad

You mean the show with Tom Joyner's wife, Donna Richardson?

I miss Video Soul and Planet Groove...I think Uncut was one of the worst things to happen to BET.

Iluvacc

PostPosted: 04/12/07 8:41 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

timber wrote:
womens_hoops wrote:
Iluvacc wrote:

Now you know good and well there's a difference between BET Monday - Saturday and BET on a Sunday.

That used to piss me off too especially when the church show came on at 4am on Sunday morning right after BET Uncut. How do you start your religious programming right after Tip Drill goes off? At 3:59 Nelly's sliding a credit card down the crack of some stripper's ass and at 4:01 "and the Lord said....."

Seriously, The Chop Up is the Sunday morning (when either no one's home or no one's awake) post-BobCat bone we were thrown in place of the institution that was BET Nightly News that came on at the same time as the regular news. It's a start....albeit a slow one.

I don't know whether to laugh or cry, but everything you said is true.

timber

PostPosted: 04/12/07 8:45 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Iluvacc wrote:

I miss Video Soul and Planet Groove...I think Uncut was one of the worst things to happen to BET.

There was that one, but I could swear there was one on even before that. I could be mistaken. I liked the videos on Planet Groove, but Rachel's offbeat self bothered me. I was always a much bigger Sherry Carter fan.

I loved Video Soul. I remember being little and thinking people were just passing by Donnie's apartment and hopped on that elevator for a visit. I swear I used to wonder who lived across the hall. "Look Mommy, I want a stage in my room too so ABC can come sing to me."

PostPosted: 04/12/07 8:50 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Iluvacc wrote:
timber wrote:
womens_hoops wrote:
Iluvacc wrote:

I don't know whether to laugh or cry, but everything you said is true.

I'm saying though....in all of 2 minutes you go from, "it must be your ass cuz it ain't your face" to "please turn your Bibles to chapter 2, verse 4 in the book of Revelations. But before Sista Denise reads that verse, a handclap of praise....Sista Mary's son just got a job. Praise the Lord. Everybody say Amen."

PostPosted: 04/12/07 9:02 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

timber wrote:
Iluvacc wrote:

There was that one, but I could swear there was one on even before that. I could be mistaken. I liked the videos on Planet Groove, but Rachel's offbeat self bothered me. I was always a much bigger Sherry Carter fan.

I loved Video Soul. I remember being little and thinking people were just passing by Donnie's apartment and hopped on that elevator for a visit. I swear I used to wonder who lived across the hall. "Look Mommy, I want a stage in my room too so ABC can come sing to me."

Rachel's faux accent bothered me Laughing

I loved Al B Sure and Jodeci Embarassed

harlem_basketball

PostPosted: 04/12/07 9:03 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

timber wrote:
I'm saying though....in all of 2 minutes you go from, "it must be your ass cuz it ain't your face" to "please turn your Bibles to chapter 2, verse 4 in the book of Revelations. But before Sista Denise reads that verse, a handclap of praise....Sista Mary's son just got a job. Praise the Lord. Everybody say Amen."

Laughing You are a mess. Laughing This thread needed some humor. But we can't debate the issues if we're busy laughing at your crazy ass. Laughing

Iluvacc

PostPosted: 04/12/07 9:12 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

harlem_basketball wrote:
timber wrote:

Laughing You are a mess. Laughing This thread needed some humor. But we can't debate the issues if we're busy laughing at your crazy ass. Laughing

I couldn't even respond to that post Laughing Laughing

timber

PostPosted: 04/12/07 9:12 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Iluvacc wrote:
Rachel's faux accent bothered me Laughing

I loved Al B Sure and Jodeci Embarassed

So true. What island was she claiming? Anyone even know? Laughing

I still zone out to Jodeci. I can't believe girls actually had a crush on K-Ci though. Even at 9, I used to wonder why he didn't keep his shirt on.

I absolutely loved Al's music but that damn unibrow.....and he was stubborn about it too. I'd be singing along like, "I can tell you how I feel about you night and day...<cut to shot of Al> oh damn there it goes again."

Even the "sexually charged" songs back then were differentl. I didn't know Al was trying to get in ol' girl's pants....now it's "wait til you see my d***."

harlem_basketball wrote:
But we can't debate the issues

For some people, that's a good thing.

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... , 12, 13, 14  Next
Page 13 of 14

Jump to: