RebKell's Junkie Boards
Board Junkies Forums

Is Purdue the new Tennessee?
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    RebKell's Junkie Boards Forum Index » NCAA Women's Basketball - General Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Stephen Shirley

PostPosted: 03/30/07 3:41 pm    ::: Re: Is Purdue the new Tennessee? Reply Reply with quote

deanjet wrote:
We (Arkansas) are finally going to play quality teams! I believe we're also starting a series with Texas Tech.

Will you have the guts to schedule Ark State? Or are the Razorbacks like Candy--afraid to schedule a SBC school from in state?

Stephen Shirley

PostPosted: 03/30/07 3:46 pm    ::: Re: Is Purdue the new Tennessee? Reply Reply with quote

PUmatty wrote:
Also on the OOC schedule for Purdue: homes games against Notre Dame, Arkansas, Butler, North Texas and games at Washington and Gonzaga.

Yep. That OOC is JUST like UT's OOC schedule of Az State, UNC, Duke, Stanford, MT, GW, and Texas.

While the Boilermakers get props for one of the best OOC schedules in the nation, they still have quite a ways to go before comparing themselves to the Lady Vols.

CamrnCrz1974

PostPosted: 03/30/07 3:54 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Stephen Shirley wrote:
While the Boilermakers get props for one of the best OOC schedules in the nation, they still have quite a ways to go before comparing themselves to the Lady Vols.

And when Lady Vols fans stop realizing the universe doesn't revolve around them and that advocating and making an objective argument for another player for POY or another team as the #1 team in a certain year does not mean a "lack of respect," call me.

deanjet

PostPosted: 03/30/07 4:06 pm    ::: Re: Is Purdue the new Tennessee? Reply Reply with quote

Stephen Shirley wrote:
deanjet wrote:
We (Arkansas) are finally going to play quality teams! I believe we're also starting a series with Texas Tech.

Will you have the guts to schedule Ark State? Or are the Razorbacks like Candy--afraid to schedule a SBC school from in state?

That's still highly unlikely. It's been a policy of the AD's at the University for a long time. While Broyles is in his final year, I'm not sure what Bev's policy is on the matter.

I know a lot of you disagree with the policy, but it has some validity. I'm not saying I completely agree; however, I can see where they are coming from on the matter.

PostPosted: 03/30/07 4:32 pm    ::: Re: Is Purdue the new Tennessee? Reply Reply with quote

Stephen Shirley wrote:
PUmatty wrote:
Also on the OOC schedule for Purdue: homes games against Notre Dame, Arkansas, Butler, North Texas and games at Washington and Gonzaga.

Yep. That OOC is JUST like UT's OOC schedule of Az State, UNC, Duke, Stanford, MT, GW, and Texas.

Why the hostility. Maybe you don't have any idea what you are talking about? Ever think of that?

Before anyone outside of central (that's what most people call the "middle" of a state) Tennessee cared about your little team, Tennessee and UConn played two OOC games each year. Other than that, it is very rare for teams to play OOC twice in one year. That is how tehy would be the new Tennessee - because they would play UConn twice a year.

ucbart

PostPosted: 03/30/07 4:43 pm    ::: Re: Is Purdue the new Tennessee? Reply Reply with quote

PUmatty wrote:
Stephen Shirley wrote:
PUmatty wrote:

Why the hostility. Maybe you don't have any idea what you are talking about? Ever think of that?

Before anyone outside of central (that's what most people call the "middle" of a state) Tennessee cared about your little team, Tennessee and UConn played two OOC games each year. Other than that, it is very rare for teams to play OOC twice in one year. That is how tehy would be the new Tennessee - because they would play UConn twice a year.

Matty, it's not even worth it, so don't even bother. Tennessee fans havea chip on their shoulders that gets worse and worse as their schedule gets tougher and tougher.

Grumps

PostPosted: 03/30/07 5:06 pm    ::: Re: Is Purdue the new Tennessee? Reply Reply with quote

ucbart wrote:
PUmatty wrote:
Stephen Shirley wrote:
PUmatty wrote:

Matty, it's not even worth it, so don't even bother. Tennessee fans havea chip on their shoulders that gets worse and worse as their schedule gets tougher and tougher.

Bart....This is a MTSU fan....As DTS always says, don't generalize...

Grumps

ucbart

PostPosted: 03/30/07 5:22 pm    ::: Re: Is Purdue the new Tennessee? Reply Reply with quote

Grumps wrote:
ucbart wrote:
PUmatty wrote:
Stephen Shirley wrote:
PUmatty wrote:

Bart....This is a MTSU fan....As DTS always says, don't generalize...

Grumps

My apologies Grumps, but that ESPN board has made me crazy.

ucbart

PostPosted: 03/30/07 5:28 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

CamrnCrz1974 wrote:
Stephen Shirley wrote:

And when Lady Vols fans stop realizing the universe doesn't revolve around them and that advocating and making an objective argument for another player for POY or another team as the #1 team in a certain year does not mean a "lack of respect," call me.

SNAP!!!! Someone is feeling fesity tonight. Your date will be very excited later.

CamrnCrz1974

PostPosted: 03/30/07 5:29 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

ucbart wrote:
SNAP!!!! Someone is feeling fesity tonight. Your date will be very excited later.

Believe me, he is excited already...

ucbart

PostPosted: 03/30/07 5:41 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

CamrnCrz1974 wrote:
ucbart wrote:

Believe me, he is excited already...

Easy Blanche.

fancy_daniel

PostPosted: 03/30/07 5:50 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

And the point of this whole thread was? Lots of hostility over nothing really.

PUmatty

PostPosted: 03/30/07 5:51 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

The point of the thread was a weird scheduling quirk and the announcement of a partial schedule.

ucbart

PostPosted: 03/30/07 6:06 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

fancy_daniel wrote:

To let everyone know what kind of date Cam is, I think.

Matty, anything to do in West Lafayette? I would love to go to a game at Mackey Arena sometime, and next year seems like a great time to do it.

Stephen Shirley

PostPosted: 03/30/07 6:50 pm    ::: Re: Is Purdue the new Tennessee? Reply Reply with quote

deanjet wrote:
Stephen Shirley wrote:
deanjet wrote:

That's still highly unlikely. It's been a policy of the AD's at the University for a long time. While Broyles is in his final year, I'm not sure what Bev's policy is on the matter.

I know a lot of you disagree with the policy, but it has some validity. I'm not saying I completely agree; however, I can see where they are coming from on the matter.

I know that many of the Power-6 schools are reluctant to schedule the ###-majors from in-state due to the "nothing to gain, everything to lose" philosophy. But many of the "weaker" Power-6 programs struggle with garnering ANY buzz during the OOC schedule. A local flavor to an early season game could draw some new interest.

MT is fortunate to have UT as one of the two in-state powers. The Lady Vols appear willing to establish an ongoing series with the Lady Raiders to go with the regular series already in place with Chattanooga. Of course, it helps convince the Lady Vols when their opponents have become regulars in the NCAA, something Ark St isn't. Wink

CamrnCrz1974

PostPosted: 03/30/07 6:59 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

ucbart wrote:
fancy_daniel wrote:

To let everyone know what kind of date Cam is, I think.

Many people know already.

Stephen Shirley

PostPosted: 03/30/07 7:08 pm    ::: I know what I'm talking about Reply Reply with quote

PUmatty wrote:
Stephen Shirley wrote:
PUmatty wrote:

I may have missed your intended point about the double scheduling, but then why add the OOC. That's the part I pointed at. I thought the point of meeting a team twice in one season hardly warranted a comparison of one program to another. Rolling Eyes

BTW, I still give Purdue props for a top-5 OOC schedule. They proved themselves throughout the season against some great competition. No shame in NOT being quite at the level of UT in this capacity. Few other teams are at the level of the Boilermakers.

As for the "Middle" portion of the name, TN is divided into three grand regions: Western, Middle and Eastern. Our state flag has three stars representing each region. Hence the "Middle" portion of our university name.

As to heating this thread up, I had a bad day at work and shot off at the keyboard. (And I'm in basketball withdrawls until Sunday.) My bad. But as ILUVBIGTEN will attest, while I agitate a little, I try to never be mean spirited. Well, except for Candy fans. But they deserve it. Laughing

PUmatty

PostPosted: 03/30/07 7:14 pm    ::: Re: I know what I'm talking about Reply Reply with quote

Stephen Shirley wrote:

I thought the point of meeting a team twice in one season hardly warranted a comparison of one program to another. Rolling Eyes

Apparently tongue in cheek is a term, like the word central, that hasn't yet reached central Tennessee.

Quote:
I may have missed your intended point about the double scheduling, but then why add the OOC.

Somehow it seemed that a portion off the OOC schedule that was jsut announced belonged in a post with another portion of the OOC schedule.

Would it be easier to understand if I started a seperate thread about each OOC game?

And good point about how brave Summitt is to schedule Central Tennessee State. It takes big guts to include them on a schedule that includes Stanford, Duke, North Carolina and UConn.

miatamama

PostPosted: 03/30/07 10:50 pm    ::: Re: I know what I'm talking about Reply Reply with quote

[quote="PUmatty"]
Stephen Shirley wrote:

And good point about how brave Summitt is to schedule Central Tennessee State. It takes big guts to include them on a schedule that includes Stanford, Duke, North Carolina and UConn.

I know you're having a bit of fun with that but I think scheduling Central Tennessee is actually a very good thing. Remember, Univ. of Tenn. is a PUBLIC school. Central Tenn. is a public school also (right). It's important to have inter-school rivalry and to promote camaraderie between STATE schools. Point: Why would Purdue (a WBB powerhouse) play IUPUI or Ball State or other lesser wbb programs? Well I know the last coach (Curry) talked about how important it was to make sure the state schools were involved in that partnership which would showcase wbb.

We do it here in Illinois. Univ. of Ill (wbb) last year played Northern Illinois and UIC.

So good for Pat Summit. Shows she's a good sport. Her team will beat the others, but I doubt (because she is pretty classy and that's really hard for me to say) she'll run up the score too badly on them.

PostPosted: 03/31/07 8:33 am    ::: THE NEW TENNESSEE Reply Reply with quote

The palpable jealousy in this thread is thick enough to support the elephant in the room. Jealousy generated primarily by UCBart and Camrncrzy

Purdue by some wild circumstance of luck in a November tournament just might - if a half dozen things go right- play UConn twice in a season. WOW

That makes Purdue the new Tennessee all right
Congratulations PUMatty you've finally arrived

All hail the two timing Boilermakers

ucbart

PostPosted: 03/31/07 9:18 am    ::: Re: THE NEW TENNESSEE Reply Reply with quote

aurabass wrote:
The palpable jealousy in this thread is thick enough to support the elephant in the room. Jealousy generated primarily by UCBart and Camrncrzy

Purdue by some wild circumstance of luck in a November tournament just might - if a half dozen things go right- play UConn twice in a season. WOW

All hail the two timing Boilermakers

Ugh, it's here.....go play in traffic. Jealous? I'm not jealous of Tennessee, and I never will be. Remember Aurabass, Karma is a BITCH!

PUmatty

PostPosted: 03/31/07 9:47 am    ::: Re: THE NEW TENNESSEE Reply Reply with quote

I am really sorry I started this thread. Is all of Tennessee (the state) as nasty and humorless as people in this thread? Holy fuck.

When this board becomes the ESPN board, it starts to lose all of it's appeal.

Quote:

If you want to get shitty about when Purdue arrived, it would probably have been when they won a national championship more recently than your precious Lady Vols in the year that the LVs were supposed to be the best team ever.

Last edited by PUmatty on 03/31/07 9:49 am; edited 1 time in total
Slovydal

PostPosted: 03/31/07 9:49 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

When a Calhoun's restaurant opens in W. Lafayette, Purdue will be the next Tennessee.

Mmmm...prime rib!

aurabass

PostPosted: 03/31/07 12:02 pm    ::: Re: THE NEW TENNESSEE Reply Reply with quote

PUmatty wrote:
I am really sorry I started this thread. Is all of Tennessee (the state) as nasty and humorless as people in this thread? Holy fuck.

When this board becomes the ESPN board, it starts to lose all of it's appeal.

Quote:

If you want to get shitty about when Purdue arrived, it would probably have been when they won a national championship more recently than your precious Lady Vols in the year that the LVs were supposed to be the best team ever.
My mistake
I though some folks on this board had a sense of humor
I guess PUMatty is the only one who can joke on this board

UCBart is quite predictable though

ILUVBIGTEN

PostPosted: 03/31/07 12:03 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Oh, aurabass, you're such an ass (not that that is news).

Equating Purdue to Tennessee isn't fair, you're right. Purdue has accomplished more in 5 coaching changes than Tennessee probably ever would have.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    RebKell's Junkie Boards Forum Index » NCAA Women's Basketball - General Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: