RebKell's Junkie Boards
Board Junkies Forums

Chatman overrated?
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    RebKell's Junkie Boards Forum Index » NCAA Women's Basketball - General Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
LTF1

PostPosted: 03/20/07 2:34 pm    ::: Chatman overrated? Reply Reply with quote

Courtesy of the poster women'shoops:

http://www.nola.com/newslogs/tpsports/index.ssf?/mtlogs/nola_tpsports/archives/2007_03.html#244725

re contrasting styles of Chatman and Starkey:"Paradoxically, given the allegations against Chatman and the microscope they have trained on the program, the oncourt atmosphere under Starkey seems lighter...While not a martinet, [Chatman] was sparing with her praise, and when she unloaded the players froze."

Could it be that maybe at least SOME LSU players are not all that unhappy to see Chatman gone? In any case what a lot of folks around BR think (including myself) is that Pokey's coaching was a bit over-rated. Not her RECRUITING mind you, that everyone recognizes was her strength. But a good game coach? I'm not so sure. Seimone Augustus, Temeka Johnson and Sylvia Fowles and NO NC game?

Perhaps not surprisingly, Chatman had many of the same coaching flaws as her mentor: sticking to formulas like two fouls before the half and your out no matter what the situation; playing a limited number of--hmmm--favored? players, pulling out the inexperienced sub the moment after she made a mistake but letting the stars stay in and fall all overthemselves on a bad day...

LSU lost a great recruiting coach...

beknighted

PostPosted: 03/20/07 3:48 pm    ::: Re: Chatman overrated? Reply Reply with quote

My take is pretty much a variation on "too early to tell."

LSU was supposed to win this weekend's games, and should be a big favorite to win against FSU. While I'll give Starkey et al. credit for avoiding panic, in the end LSU's talent should have been enough to win even with mediocre coaching.

Also, coaches come whole - recruiting plus game planning plus motivation plus game coaching. A smart coach can build a staff that addresses her weaknesses, and maybe Pokey did that, but it's hard to separate the recruiter from the game coach.

Koopster

PostPosted: 03/20/07 6:11 pm    ::: Re: Chatman overrated? Reply Reply with quote

beknighted wrote:

LSU was supposed to win this weekend's games, and should be a big favorite to win against FSU. While I'll give Starkey et al. credit for avoiding panic, in the end LSU's talent should have been enough to win even with mediocre coaching.

Also, coaches come whole - recruiting plus game planning plus motivation plus game coaching. A smart coach can build a staff that addresses her weaknesses, and maybe Pokey did that, but it's hard to separate the recruiter from the game coach.

Again...you beat me to it. When I read this, my first thought was the ridiculous record Pokey ended up with. While it can be debated whether Pokey was truly a great game coach...players happy or not happy et al...it is hard to argue with the results she had. Before all of this I think most people would have easily called her one of the top ten in the game as far as total package.

fancy_daniel

PostPosted: 03/20/07 6:26 pm    ::: Re: Chatman overrated? Reply Reply with quote

Koopster wrote:
beknighted wrote:

Again...you beat me to it. When I read this, my first thought was the ridiculous record Pokey ended up with. While it can be debated whether Pokey was truly a great game coach...players happy or not happy et al...it is hard to argue with the results she had. Before all of this I think most people would have easily called her one of the top ten in the game as far as total package.

It is hard to tell with her. I wonder how much of that success has to do with the work that Sue Gunther put in before she passed away. Although, we all have to remember that Pokey was on her staff. She may have helped bring those players in.

I remember Pat Summitt joined a broadcast team last year scouting LSU and one of her comments was that LSU has the best motion offense in the game. LSU is deceptively good and despite not having Seimone Augustus, they did rather well. I think Chatman may have been better than a lot of people are willing to give her credit for, but it is/was too early in her career too truly tell.

Kamala

PostPosted: 03/20/07 6:54 pm    ::: Re: Chatman overrated? Reply Reply with quote

LTF1 wrote:
Courtesy of the poster women'shoops:

http://www.nola.com/newslogs/tpsports/index.ssf?/mtlogs/nola_tpsports/archives/2007_03.html#244725

re contrasting styles of Chatman and Starkey:"Paradoxically, given the allegations against Chatman and the microscope they have trained on the program, the oncourt atmosphere under Starkey seems lighter...While not a martinet, [Chatman] was sparing with her praise, and when she unloaded the players froze."

Could it be that maybe at least SOME LSU players are not all that unhappy to see Chatman gone? In any case what a lot of folks around BR think (including myself) is that Pokey's coaching was a bit over-rated. Not her RECRUITING mind you, that everyone recognizes was her strength. But a good game coach? I'm not so sure. Seimone Augustus, Temeka Johnson and Sylvia Fowles and NO NC game?

Perhaps not surprisingly, Chatman had many of the same coaching flaws as her mentor: sticking to formulas like two fouls before the half and your out no matter what the situation; playing a limited number of--hmmm--favored? players, pulling out the inexperienced sub the moment after she made a mistake but letting the stars stay in and fall all overthemselves on a bad day...

I'll be the first to admit that I thought Pokey could've had better crunch time game plans but the woman is a damn good coach. Yes, Pokey was the chief recruiter that brought in Tameka Johnson and Seimone Augustus. But, to suggest that Pokey may be a lesser coach because she never won a national championship is ridiculous. There are plenty of coaches that can't win with a talented team a la John Brady at LSU or they can't get or keep good players. Roy Williams put a lot of players in the NBA and won a lot of games before he won a national championship and he was regarded as an elite coach before he won a national championship so I view Pokey the same.

Any good coach is a good recruiter. You gotta have the players. I detest the "outstanding recruiter" label placed on any coach but especially Black coaches because in football and basketball these are the chief coaches that are labeled as such. The way the "outstanding recruiter" label is used is like a backhanded compliment. Yes, the coach can recruit but he's only relating to his own kind of people so he should be able to do that but he can't possibly have the mental capacity to be an "Xs and Os" coach. This is similar to Black quaterbacks being labeled as not having the ability to read defenses or being able to run complex offenses. While, many a white player is labeled as being "heady" or a "student of the game." How many times are Black players or coaches labeled as "students of the game?" Not very often.

Oh!! The CBS affiliate in Baton Rouge said that Van Chancellor is very interested in the WBB job at LSU then the reporter goes on to say that he (Van Chancellor) is married with 3 kids. WTF!! But, we have people on this board saying that Baton Rouge is not homophobic!! Sure (sarcasm).

And the players LOVED Pokey! Seriously. I've never heard a LSU WBB team member speak ill of Pokey in the public or otherwise (and I know a few personally).

Last edited by Kamala on 03/20/07 7:02 pm; edited 1 time in total
LTF1

PostPosted: 03/20/07 6:56 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

fancydaniel:"I remember Pat Summitt joined a broadcast team last year scouting LSU and one of her comments was that LSU has the best motion offense in the game."

That motion offense was brought to the LadyTigers by Bob Starkey to put life into Gunter's stagnate offenses. And it is interesting that the LadyTigers turned things around (Sue was on the verge of being fired in the mid-90s) when Starkey came over from LSU's men's team.

And even mediocre coaches would have a pretty darn good record with a Seimone Augustus, Sylvia Fowles and Temeka Johnson. Heck a really good coach might have even won an NC with them

Kamala

PostPosted: 03/20/07 6:59 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

LTF1 wrote:
And even mediocre coaches would have a pretty darn good record with a Seimone Augustus, Sylvia Fowles and Temeka Johnson. Heck a really good coach might have even won an NC with them

Not true. There are plenty of good coaches that can't win with a stacked team. Think about the LSU mens team that had Vernell Singleton, Shaq, Stanley Roberts, and Chris Jackson (Mahmoud Abdul Rauf) coached by Dale Brown. I think that team might have made it to the Sweet 16. Please correct me if I'm wrong. I know that team didn't make it to the Final Four. You can also look at the LSU mens team of this season. That team underachieved and it was due to poor coaching.

LTF1

PostPosted: 03/20/07 8:29 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Yeah, Pokey Chatman, Dale Brown.

BeK:"LSU...should be a big favorite to win against FSU."

LSU shouldn't be a "big" favorite against anybody from 12 down to 1. LSU COULD win or lose big in any given game but more likely they will win or lose something like 52-48 be it Florida State or UNC or TN or whoever

honey

PostPosted: 03/21/07 8:04 am    ::: Re: Chatman overrated? Reply Reply with quote

Kamala wrote:
LTF1 wrote:

Any good coach is a good recruiter. You gotta have the players. I detest the "outstanding recruiter" label placed on any coach but especially Black coaches because in football and basketball these are the chief coaches that are labeled as such. The way the "outstanding recruiter" label is used is like a backhanded compliment. Yes, the coach can recruit but he's only relating to his own kind of people so he should be able to do that but he can't possibly have the mental capacity to be an "Xs and Os" coach. This is similar to Black quaterbacks being labeled as not having the ability to read defenses or being able to run complex offenses. While, many a white player is labeled as being "heady" or a "student of the game." How many times are Black players or coaches labeled as "students of the game?" Not very often.

co-sign x___~__

LTF1

PostPosted: 03/21/07 9:09 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

What's race got to do with it? I wasn't referencing race at all (but some folks apparently have it on the brain 24/7).

Dale Brown, Pat Summit, Geno, Kim M I think were/are great recruiting coaches. Personally, I don't think Summit is very good with her x's and o's esp when coaching against LSU who she often insists on playing man defense against and as a result loses against LSU more than to any other SEC team in the last ten years. Kim onth I think is a good game coach as well as recruiter

The great Gunter couldn't coach her way out of a paper bag and was lucky to have Chatman (recruiting) and Starkey (coaching) to save her job.

Kamala: "The CBS affiliate in Baton Rouge said that Van Chancellor is very interested in the WBB job at LSU then the reporter goes on to say that he (Van Chancellor) is married with 3 kids. WTF!! But, we have people on this board saying that Baton Rouge is not homophobic!! Sure (sarcasm)."

I thought you said we'd just have to disagree? Apparently not. How is reporting on the marital status of a high profile coaching position "homophobic"? When Chatman replaced Gunter it was reported in the local media that she was single and without kids and GUESS WHAT she got a $400,000 a year job! (If that is a sign of homophobia, I could do with a little homophobia directed my way...but alas I am married and have a kid)

The fact is that there are many Chatman supporters who want to believe that she quit not because she was having an inappropriate relationship with a player(s) while she was coaching said player(s). Instead they want to believe that she was fired for being black and in a lesbian relationship. Well, that is not true.

Thank goodness Carla Berry is black and (rumored) to be lesbian because otherwise the folks who see only racism and homophobia everytime they turnaround would be having a field day.

Kamala

PostPosted: 03/21/07 12:37 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

LTF1 wrote:
What's race got to do with it? I wasn't referencing race at all (but some folks apparently have it on the brain 24/7).

Dale Brown, Pat Summit, Geno, Kim M I think were/are great recruiting coaches. Personally, I don't think Summit is very good with her x's and o's esp when coaching against LSU who she often insists on playing man defense against and as a result loses against LSU more than to any other SEC team in the last ten years. Kim onth I think is a good game coach as well as recruiter

The great Gunter couldn't coach her way out of a paper bag and was lucky to have Chatman (recruiting) and Starkey (coaching) to save her job.

Kamala: "The CBS affiliate in Baton Rouge said that Van Chancellor is very interested in the WBB job at LSU then the reporter goes on to say that he (Van Chancellor) is married with 3 kids. WTF!! But, we have people on this board saying that Baton Rouge is not homophobic!! Sure (sarcasm)."

I thought you said we'd just have to disagree? Apparently not. How is reporting on the marital status of a high profile coaching position "homophobic"? When Chatman replaced Gunter it was reported in the local media that she was single and without kids and GUESS WHAT she got a $400,000 a year job! (If that is a sign of homophobia, I could do with a little homophobia directed my way...but alas I am married and have a kid)

The fact is that there are many Chatman supporters who want to believe that she quit not because she was having an inappropriate relationship with a player(s) while she was coaching said player(s). Instead they want to believe that she was fired for being black and in a lesbian relationship. Well, that is not true.

Thank goodness Carla Berry is black and (rumored) to be lesbian because otherwise the folks who see only racism and homophobia everytime they turnaround would be having a field day.

I had to mention WAFB reporting on Van Chancellor's marital and parental status b/c to me it has ZERO bearing on his coaching ability. And, no you didn't refer to race but I took it upon myself to bring up race because I felt that to only speak of Pokey as a great recruiter is a slight. And this slight is levied against a disproportinate number of Black and other racial minority coaches. I feel the same if any accomplished coach is labeled as such but it's common knowledge Black coaches are predominately labeled as "great recruiters" and this label is another knock against them when trying to get head coaching jobs that they are qualified for.

I don't remember anyone in the media mentioning Pokey's marriage or parental status. But, just cause a homosexual is hired at a nice salary doesn't mean that the person doing the hiring is not homophobic. I think it means the person doing the hiring knows the homosexual person can do the job.

I'll be the first to admit I still like Pokey but if she gave Carla Berry enough rope to hang her with then shame on Pokey. With that said no I don't believe that Pokey was fired because she Black and a Lesbian. But, I do feel that many people especially in the south felt that Pokey should never have been the head WBB coach as a Black, young, Lesbian and that is reflected in people trying to minimize her accomplishments by labeling her a "great recruiter" and labeling Starkey as the "Xs and Os" coach. Why don't these people just say what they want to? That Pokey was good at bringing in Black girls that can run fast and jump high and that Starkey was the brains behind the team. That's how many people feel. It's BS but it is a prevalent mindstate. It's funny because it's rumored Starkey doesn't even have a college degree and if he were darker he wouldn't have sniffed an assistant coaching gig at a major school. I know there's no mention of an alma mater on his bio at http://www.lsusports.net/ViewArticle.dbml?SPSID=28701&SPID=2167&DB_OEM_ID=5200&ATCLID=174268&Q_SEASON=2006

People aren't going to admit to racism, sexism, and homophobia because they know it's wrong but it still goes on (we all know this) and we see it engaged in covert ways. I'm just one to point out such injustices and I'm willing to talk, try to stop it, and educate others about it. For those that dismiss others as having race, sexism, and homophobia on the brain 24/7 they will continue to wallow in ignorance and if anyone thinks that I'm one of these people thanks for the compliment. As long as people keep denying racism, sexism, and homophobia in their covert forms and their ramifications these cancers will continue to fester.

LTF1

PostPosted: 03/21/07 12:49 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Kamala:"And, no you didn't refer to race but I took it upon myself to bring up race because I felt that to only speak of Pokey as a great recruiter is a slight."

You shouldn't have taken it upon yourself to insinuate that I meant it as a slight (as no one else posted on that aspect of the topic). Again, I think Pokey is a great recruiter and an ok game coach. For the record, I think Carolyn Peck is a great game coach and a terrible recruiter (how does that fit into YOUR stereotyping?)

Kamala:" had to mention WAFB reporting on Van Chancellor's marital and parental status b/c to me it has ZERO bearing on his coaching ability...I don't remember anyone in the media mentioning Pokey's marriage or parental status."

I do and she was even asked (GASP!) if marriage was in her future! Homophobia run amok! [sarcasm]. Enquiring minds want to know. Personally I don't care who Russel Crowe fought with last, it has nothing to do with his acting ability. But some people do, but it doesn't mean they have a pathological interest in violence.

Kamala:"But, just cause a homosexual is hired at a nice salary doesn't mean that the person doing the hiring is not homophobic. I think it means the person doing the hiring knows the homosexual person can do the job."

I thought "phobia" would mean an irrational fear of which the sufferer would do her/his utmost to avoid. By "homophobic" would your definition include someone who supported civil unions but not same-sex marriage? (I'm just trying to determine how big a homophobic net is being thrown around here)

one4dthumb

PostPosted: 03/21/07 1:46 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

I suppose it should be noted as a great advance in the culture that no one can stand the thought that they harbor racist or homophobic ideas. But I have to agree with posters like Kamala that racism and homophobia no longer look like Archie Bunker. We all know enough not to rant and rave in public, or even to allow ourselves to formulate overtly racist/homophoic notions. But these ideas are woven into the fabric of our culture. So when people praise Barak Obama as articulate, a firestorm erupts. I have to confess, I never even thought of how the word articulate had become so freighted with significance, but once it was pointed out, I wondered how I had missed it. I had missed it because I am white.

It is not fun to have unexamined prejudices, however nuanced, made manifest, but I try to cultivate the habit of mind to accept reports from the field, as it were. I know for a fact that I do not aspire to be racist, but I also know that I live in a culture where racism percolates throughout and I am not always atuned to all its manifestations. So when someone who is Black or Hispanic clues me in that something I had never given a moment's thought to is an aspect of racism gone underground, I take note. I don't take it as an acusation that I am probably a member of the Klan.

It isn't easy to change a culture and it doesn't happen over night. The good news is that we no longer think it's cool to be racist homophobes. The bad news is that we too often respond with a bunch of anger when someone points out that we haven't quite managed to erase either of these illnesses from our culture.

LTF1

PostPosted: 03/21/07 9:18 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Of course racism and hostility to gays and lesbians still exists, but racial and homophobic slights can be imagined or constructed where they do not exist. My calling Pokey a good recruiter but a so-so game coach could only be construed as racist if one was placing me in a stereotype that such remarks about any black coach must neccessarily be racist.

To avoid being called a racist in such a circumstance, a non-black person could never call any black coach a poor game coach. Indeed to avoid any charge of racism it would be best not to be critical of black coaches at all. That's absurd and racism of a different kind (but no less destructive)

I was critical of Gunter and I am critical of Chatman (especially in light of what has happened in recent weeks). I know---I'm a misogynist! [sarcasm button]

I better go check this with my wife

PurdueBBall3

PostPosted: 03/21/07 9:31 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Oh dear. It appears that LTF has brought his I'm so right/you're more wrong than you could begin to know sarcastic-in-the-worst-sense-of-the-word attitude to this board. *sigh

PostPosted: 03/22/07 12:19 am    ::: Re: Chatman overrated? Reply Reply with quote

Koopster wrote:
beknighted wrote:

And despite the vague allegations floating around, many people will still call her one of the top ten in the game... because she is one of the top coaches we have in women's basketball.

LTF1

PostPosted: 03/22/07 2:20 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Hooper:"And despite the vague allegations floating around, many people will still call her one of the top ten in the game... because she is one of the top coaches we have in women's basketball."

Shouldn't that read "she is one of the top coaches we HAD in women's basketball"?

And top ten, after what 3 seasons? I guess the pool of "top coaches" in WCBB is pretty shallow.

PBB3:"Oh dear. It appears that LTF has brought his I'm so right/you're more wrong than you could begin to know sarcastic-in-the-worst-sense-of-the-word attitude to this board. *sigh"

Well, as the make up of this board is almost exactly like old board, it would seem that I am not the only one with such an "attitude." And like the other board, if one wants to avoid me, it's pretty easy: don't read my posts. (Something you always did have problems with PBB3)

hooper1

PostPosted: 03/25/07 11:36 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

LTF1 wrote:
Hooper:"And despite the vague allegations floating around, many people will still call her one of the top ten in the game... because she is one of the top coaches we have in women's basketball."

Shouldn't that read "she is one of the top coaches we HAD in women's basketball"?

And top ten, after what 3 seasons? I guess the pool of "top coaches" in WCBB is pretty shallow.

PBB3:"Oh dear. It appears that LTF has brought his I'm so right/you're more wrong than you could begin to know sarcastic-in-the-worst-sense-of-the-word attitude to this board. *sigh"

Well, as the make up of this board is almost exactly like old board, it would seem that I am not the only one with such an "attitude." And like the other board, if one wants to avoid me, it's pretty easy: don't read my posts. (Something you always did have problems with PBB3)

Pokey's record at LSU was 90-14 with two trips to the Final Four. She was also named including the Black Coaches Association’s Coach of the Year in 2004 and 2005; the 2005 USBWA National Coach of the Year, the 2005 Russell/WBCA National Coach of the Year; the 2005 Naismith National Coach of the Year; the 2005 Victor Award Female Coach of the Year; the 2005 SEC Coach of the Year; and the 2005 Louisiana Coach of the Year.

She was also the assistant coach for the USA Women’s World University Games Team, which won the gold medal.

That's HARD to beat for a woman of her age and experience. Many long-time coaches have NEVER achieved this much.

So, yes, she is one of the top coaches in women's basketball.

NK

PostPosted: 03/26/07 4:05 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

hooper1 wrote:

She was, no doubt a great recruiter and her coaching record was in large part being the beneficiary of Sue Gunter(along with her recruiting skills).

However, had Sue known, Pokey would have been gone long ago.

She is gone now, and that's a good thing. Because of the damge to the game that would come out and the damage to many other people, some of them still playing, it's best for all that Pokey become long forgotten.

The game doesn't need this sort of publicity and the truth/damage, should it ever become exposed, would be a black eye that could set the game back years.

It's best that Pokey remain forgotten as opposed to the pariah she would be known as otherwise. This sort of deviency is the last thing the game needs today as it grows.

The whole ugly truth hasn't even been scratched yet, and while there are some that think Pokey should have to take the responsibility for her actions, in this case, I think it better the truth be buried along with Pokey.

That in itself is punishment enough for her and it saves our game the set backs and degradations that would hold the headlines for years to come.

This is much worse than most have even speculated. Much worse.

This is a case of it being better swept under the rug, at least at this point in the developement of the game. Usually I am one who wants the complete truth exposed, in this case I have to say that my concern for the game may outweigh my desire for full disclosure. There are too many people who's lives would also be decimated and/or scarred by this and it would serve no purpose in the end, except that Pokey would never again be a part of Women's bball. I have doubts she ever will again and as long as that's the final result, we should just let sleeping dogs lie.

As long as Pokey remains quiet, and I suspect she will out of self-preservation, I think it's better that we move on as quickly as possible.

Chatman should just be an odd asterisk in the record books years from now. That would be best for all concerned as well as the future of the game.

PostPosted: 03/26/07 10:24 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

hooper:"So, yes, she is one of the top coaches in women's basketball."

Not "is", but "was." And I think I was taking issue with the idea that she was one of the "ten" best coaches, not that she was simply a "top" coach. To be a top ten coach I would think that you would have to have coached more than a couple of years. I think it would be pretty easy for a lot of folks to credibly find 10 coaches that they think are better than Chatman was.

I think most high school coaches could have won a fair number of SEC games with Augustus and Fowles on the same team. (But then I don't dare compliment Chatman for her recruiting skills, as some think that is racist as I have discovered)

hooper1

PostPosted: 03/27/07 12:23 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

NK wrote:
hooper1 wrote:

She was, no doubt a great recruiter and her coaching record was in large part being the beneficiary of Sue Gunter(along with her recruiting skills).

However, had Sue known, Pokey would have been gone long ago.

She is gone now, and that's a good thing. Because of the damge to the game that would come out and the damage to many other people, some of them still playing, it's best for all that Pokey become long forgotten.

The game doesn't need this sort of publicity and the truth/damage, should it ever become exposed, would be a black eye that could set the game back years.

It's best that Pokey remain forgotten as opposed to the pariah she would be known as otherwise. This sort of deviency is the last thing the game needs today as it grows.

The whole ugly truth hasn't even been scratched yet, and while there are some that think Pokey should have to take the responsibility for her actions, in this case, I think it better the truth be buried along with Pokey.

That in itself is punishment enough for her and it saves our game the set backs and degradations that would hold the headlines for years to come.

This is much worse than most have even speculated. Much worse.

This is a case of it being better swept under the rug, at least at this point in the developement of the game. Usually I am one who wants the complete truth exposed, in this case I have to say that my concern for the game may outweigh my desire for full disclosure. There are too many people who's lives would also be decimated and/or scarred by this and it would serve no purpose in the end, except that Pokey would never again be a part of Women's bball. I have doubts she ever will again and as long as that's the final result, we should just let sleeping dogs lie.

As long as Pokey remains quiet, and I suspect she will out of self-preservation, I think it's better that we move on as quickly as possible.

Chatman should just be an odd asterisk in the record books years from now. That would be best for all concerned as well as the future of the game.

Ah, but you are overlooking one MAJOR point. She has not been proven guilty of ANYTHING! So officially there were just rumor and innuendo. That's it. Period. End of story.

And, mark my words, she will be back coaching women's basketball and she will be just as great in the future as she has been in the past.

bluewolfvii

PostPosted: 03/27/07 8:30 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Nice Graham Hays article today on LSU and the specter of Chatman.

Quote:
And that's a shame. All of these players were recruited by Chatman, but nothing in any of the allegations surrounding the former coach -- Chatman allegedly had a sexual relationship with a former player -- suggests any of these Lady Tigers were involved in the circumstances of her departure. And ironically, the greatest testament to the strength of will she instilled in them and the talent she honed comes from their ability to play through the controversy surrounding her departure

http://sports.espn.go.com/ncw/ncaatourney07/news/story?id=2813967

dtsnms

PostPosted: 03/27/07 8:34 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

bluewolfvii wrote:
Nice Graham Hays article today on LSU and the specter of Chatman.

Quote:
And that's a shame. All of these players were recruited by Chatman, but nothing in any of the allegations surrounding the former coach -- Chatman allegedly had a sexual relationship with a former player -- suggests any of these Lady Tigers were involved in the circumstances of her departure. And ironically, the greatest testament to the strength of will she instilled in them and the talent she honed comes from their ability to play through the controversy surrounding her departure

http://sports.espn.go.com/ncw/ncaatourney07/news/story?id=2813967

Very nice; and if anyone thinks that Chatman hasn't left her mark, look no further than the quotes from Sylvia Fowles that she talks to "Coach every day".

bluewolfvii

PostPosted: 03/27/07 8:47 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

dtsnms wrote:
Very nice; and if anyone thinks that Chatman hasn't left her mark, look no further than the quotes from Sylvia Fowles that she talks to "Coach every day".

Yes, I saw that story too.

http://www.rep-am.com/story.php?id=21362
Quote:

"For guidance, for inspiration and just because she's always been that role model and my mother figure," Fowles said. "I'm just used to talking to her on a day-to-day basis. Since what went down I don't think that's changed that's all. I just keep in touch. She gets on me sometimes and she gives me some pointers and lets me know that I've just got to stick with it and help my teammates out the best way can."

Ironic, but I wouldn't be surprised if some of these players have dedicated this Final Four performance to Chatman.

4ever_bball_fan

PostPosted: 03/27/07 8:50 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

They might have dedicated this Championship run to Chatman, but they are playing their guts out for Starkey, and each other.

Now we know why Mulkey was so hacked off about the Hightower signing... Wink What a shooter.

Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 1 of 4

Jump to: