RebKell's Junkie Boards
Board Junkies Forums

Gators trying to add Auriemma to big-name coach collection
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    RebKell's Junkie Boards Forum Index » NCAA Women's Basketball - General Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
deanjet

PostPosted: 03/28/07 11:07 am    ::: Gators trying to add Auriemma to big-name coach collection Reply Reply with quote

http://cbs.sportsline.com/ncaawbasketball/story/10093771

The level of Auriemma's interest in Florida, if any, isn't known. UConn's season ended this week in the Elite Eight. CBS SportsLine.com had messages Wednesday into Auriemma and UF athletics director Jeremy Foley.

PostPosted: 03/28/07 11:08 am    ::: Re: Gators trying to add Auriemma to big-name coach collecti Reply Reply with quote

One more quote:

CBS SportsLine.com's sources, who wish to remain anonymous, include an employee at Florida and also a Top 25 women's coach who tried to get involved with the Florida opening but was told that the Gators were locked onto Auriemma.

PostPosted: 03/28/07 11:09 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

haha

Go Storm!

"Go smack yourself in the face and see what happens."
dtsnms

PostPosted: 03/28/07 11:13 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

I can see him leaving at some point, but it won't be about money.

It will be about challenges, and, very important, it will be about facilities. He is very, very upset with the fact UConn has no other practice facility but Gampel.

BBallFanCT729

PostPosted: 03/28/07 11:20 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

dtsnms wrote:
I can see him leaving at some point, but it won't be about money.

It will be about challenges, and, very important, it will be about facilities. He is very, very upset with the fact UConn has no other practice facility but Gampel.

Agreed. He has always liked a challenge. Plus, the facilities at Florida are nice.

Also, he's proven in recent years he can recruit in SEC/ACC country. Granted, a couple left, but still: Kiana Robinson (Florida), Tiffany Hayes (Florida), Kristen Phillips (North Carolina), Maya Moore (Georgia), Ketia Swanier (Georgia), and Kalana Greene (South Carolina).

RavenDog

PostPosted: 03/28/07 11:32 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

During the LSU loss, he didn't seem like the old spirited and fired up Geno: he seemed somewhat meek and apathetic for him. Usually, he's going crazy, yelling and screaming.

When I saw his disposition, it immediately came to mind that maybe he's decided to go to Florida?

00NDROCKS

PostPosted: 03/28/07 11:40 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

RavenDog wrote:
During the LSU loss, he didn't seem like the old spirited and fired up Geno: he seemed somewhat meek and apathetic for him. Usually, he's going crazy, yelling and screaming.

When I saw his disposition, it immediately came to mind that maybe he's decided to go to Florida?

If the luster has left , then a change is sometimes the best answer.

" My best seasons in the WNBA have been the two that I spent in Indiana. Not only did I get the chance to play in front of some of the most passionate fans in the WNBA, but I also had an incredible opportunity to play alongside one of the best players in the history of the game in Tamika Catchings. " ANNA DEFORGE.
dtsnms

PostPosted: 03/28/07 12:02 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

00NDROCKS wrote:

Oh for some reason I think Tina Charles and Maya Moore may put some luster back on the job for him for a teeny bit more...

pilight

PostPosted: 03/28/07 12:21 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

I'm not surprised that they're making a run at him. I doubt he'll leave UConn for another college job.

Most people hate poetry
mercfan3

PostPosted: 03/28/07 1:37 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

RavenDog wrote:

Perhaps it was Geno using his brain.

Thus huskies looked scared, and at the point where LSU is shooting 70% from three, I don't think he thought there was much he could do. It was best not to rub salt in their wounds.

Sort of like him comforting Diana in the FF of her freshman year..sometimes, it's best not to yell. I don't think Yelling at Charde, Renee or Tina would have been a good idea that game.

He certainly had his "luster" against NC State.

Me personally, I don't think Geno will leave because I think he cares too much about the players to leave them. And if he does leave them, I think it will be for a men's job or for a WNBA job.

PostPosted: 03/28/07 1:42 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

mercfan3 wrote:
Me personally, I don't think Geno will leave because I think he cares too much about the players to leave them. And if he does leave them, I think it will be for a men's job or for a WNBA job.

But why? Doesn't he already make money comparable to the men's coaches? He would have to take a big pay cut for the WNBA, no?

Grumps

PostPosted: 03/28/07 1:48 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

gpark33 wrote:
mercfan3 wrote:

But why? Doesn't he already make money comparable to the men's coaches? He would have to take a big pay cut for the WNBA, no?

What ever happened to the CT law they were trying to pass that limited the outside money that state employees could make? Did it go through or not? If the law passed, I can see him being interested in leaving...Most of a coaches salary comes from outside sources...

Grumps

mercfan3

PostPosted: 03/28/07 1:51 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

gpark33 wrote:
mercfan3 wrote:

He does, but just to do something different.

To see if he could coach men, or to reunite with former players..

PostPosted: 03/28/07 2:11 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

dtsnms wrote:
00NDROCKS wrote:

Oh for some reason I think Tina Charles and Maya Moore may put some luster back on the job for him for a teeny bit more...

I think he's worked too hard to get UConn back to that no. 1 spot. He is now recruiting players that will be stars in college so I think he will stay.

beknighted

PostPosted: 03/28/07 2:23 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

I heard a report from a reasonably reliable source that Geno was Florida's number one target about a day after the job became open, so I'm not sure how new this is.

I have to admit I have a hard time imagining him going to Florida, even if the money is stupendous, partly because he gets pretty stupendous money at UConn right now and partly because things look pretty good for the Huskies for the next few years. But a lot of stranger things have happened, and a part of me really enjoys the idea that Andy Landers would have to face Geno every year until one of them retired.

bballfan2005

PostPosted: 03/28/07 2:28 pm    ::: Re: Gators trying to add Auriemma to big-name coach collecti Reply Reply with quote

deanjet wrote:
One more quote:

CBS SportsLine.com's sources, who wish to remain anonymous, include an employee at Florida and also a Top 25 women's coach who tried to get involved with the Florida opening but was told that the Gators were locked onto Auriemma.

Oh the possibilities! Laughing

Mathies to LA 2013
njjosh

PostPosted: 03/28/07 2:48 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

The only way I could see him leaving UConn short of outright retirement would be if he took a WNBA job. And only then because it would make it easier (presumably, anyway) for him to be the head coach of the Olympic team one day, which he has said is one of his goals.

deanjet

PostPosted: 03/28/07 3:35 pm    ::: Re: Gators trying to add Auriemma to big-name coach collecti Reply Reply with quote

bballfan2005 wrote:
deanjet wrote:
One more quote:

Oh the possibilities! Laughing

To me, it seems like a long shot to get Geno, but do UConn fans think this might be a job Daily would consider?

PostPosted: 03/28/07 8:10 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

My guess is Geno isn't leaving with POY Maya Moore on the way. He won't leave for WNBA and the uncertainty of coaching jobs in that league. If he leaves it will probably be for the NBA as an assistant, and then only if he can't win with Maya or he wins 2-3 more NCs with her and wants to leave on a high and ahead of Pat.

accommodatingly

PostPosted: 03/28/07 9:56 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

huskymaniac119 wrote:
My guess is Geno isn't leaving with POY Maya Moore on the way. He won't leave for WNBA and the uncertainty of coaching jobs in that league. If he leaves it will probably be for the NBA as an assistant, and then only if he can't win with Maya or he wins 2-3 more NCs with her and wants to leave on a high and ahead of Pat.

I don't think his temperament would let him be an assistant anywhere at this point, except perhaps on the Olympic team, which isn't an open-ended commitment.

It's hard to see him leaving UConn for another college team where he'd have to rebuild from scratch-- though you could argue that the Big East is now holding him back, and that teams coming from the SEC and the ACC now have a significant advantage in the tournament. (But the 2005 final was B10 vs. BXII.)

I've seen Geno with his head in his hands, not reacting, halfway through the game, once before: the 2005-06 (not 06-07) loss to North Carolina. He felt, correctly, that there was probably nothing he could do: the problem wasn't motivation or in-game coaching, but something much deeper than that.

The WNBA would, in a way, be semi-retirement for him. I can imagine him doing that, but not yet.

It doesn't bode well for Florida fans if the Florida AD has "locked on" to Geno. Especially not if nobody in Connecticut (at least not yet) thinks he's going. We'd be hearing rumors (as with Goestenkors) otherwise, at least of the "AD has granted Florida permission to talk" variety. (Of course, they could be talking now.) And it's just dumb for any athletic department, or for any manager hiring for any position anywhere, to decide that only one, big-name candidate will do.

When that happens in the corporate and academic worlds, it's often an example of CYA: if they hire the biggest name available, someone with a big record of success, no one will blame them if the new hire doesn't work out-- if they take a risk, they look bad if it doesn't work out. I still think Florida should try to hire somebody whose reputation would rest on what they do at Florida-- somebody still on their way up, but with major conference experience. And I still think Geno is staying. But what do I know?

GlennMacGrady

PostPosted: 03/28/07 10:25 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Geno's Nike contract was ruled to be unethical by the CT Board of Ethics, a courageous and correct ruling that is likely to stand up under CT law. Hence, he will lose a significant amount of income when that contract expires and can't be renewed. Florida may have a different public ethics law.

He doesn't necessarily have to leave his players. Maya Moore and Lorin Dixon could decide to follow him, as could potential recruits Caroline Doty and Elena Delle Donne. A loyal young frosh like Tina Charles may be willing to sit out a year to join him. If that all played out, in two years the G-man could be riding an orange donkey into the Final Four Temple with thousands of snowbirds throwing palm fronds at his feat.

He could be the first college coach to win the NC at two different schools. Geno likes caps. Geno likes feathers.

Hartford and Mohegan are just four hours away from the Swamp by private jet.

Go for it, young fella.

pilight

PostPosted: 03/28/07 10:29 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Florida? Ethics? Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing

Most people hate poetry
BBallFanCT729

PostPosted: 03/28/07 10:44 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

GlennMacGrady wrote:
Florida may have a different public ethics law.

*May*? Ethics & Florida don't belong in the same sentence Wink

Geno32

PostPosted: 03/29/07 8:33 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

http://www.courant.com/sports/college/husky/women/hc-geno0329.artmar29,0,3711692.story?coll=hc-headlines-sports

PostPosted: 03/29/07 9:02 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

There was an interesting speculation somewhere -- heck, maybe here, I'm too lazy to check -- that Geno might be being offered the men's job at USwamp.

I know he has supposedly turned down men's offers before but, to the extent he has said anything about it, he seems to have emphasized that it was not the "right time", which most people took as an allusion to family matters.

His third child is now about to graduate from HS. Maybe the time is now righter.

As to his restaurants in CT, he doesn't actively manage them. They can continue to operate, or be sold by him in whole or in part. There are a lot more customers in Florida than in CT.

On the other hand, this may just be a gift-from-god negotiating lever with which Geno can move the UConn compensation world.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    RebKell's Junkie Boards Forum Index » NCAA Women's Basketball - General Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: