RebKell's Junkie Boards
Board Junkies Forums

All-Americans announced
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    RebKell's Junkie Boards Forum Index » NCAA Women's Basketball - General Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
fancy_daniel

PostPosted: 03/28/07 1:53 pm    ::: All-Americans announced Reply Reply with quote

http://sports.espn.go.com/ncw/news/story?id=2815929

First Team
• Candace Parker, Tennessee
• Courtney Paris, Oklahoma
• Lindsey Harding, Duke
• Ivory Latta, North Carolina
• Jessica Davenport, Ohio State

bballfan2005

PostPosted: 03/28/07 2:17 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Please explain how a player can win POY for a BCS conference and NOT make any of the three All-American teams. Shocked

Mathies to LA 2013
pilight

PostPosted: 03/28/07 2:20 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

bballfan2005 wrote:
Please explain how a player can win POY for a BCS conference and NOT make any of the three All-American teams. Shocked

This women's basketball. The Pac-10 is a mid-major at best in this sport.

Most people hate poetry
ucbart

PostPosted: 03/28/07 2:20 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

bballfan2005 wrote:

Davenei Hampton I assume? Who would you take off to put her on there? I wouldn't take one of these players off for her.

On another note, it looks like Parker will be the AP National POY. She was the leading vote getter.

bballfan2005

PostPosted: 03/28/07 2:25 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

ucbart wrote:
Davenei Hampton I assume? Who would you take off to put her on there? I wouldn't take one of these players off for her.

I'd take Tasha Humphrey off the list in a heartbeat. She didn't really play at an All-American level this season. Hype pretty much got her that spot on the AA squad.

Regardless of how the Pac-10 is perceived by fans, the fact still remains that it is a BCS conference and Hampton did win the POY in that conference. Thus, she should've at LEAST been a third-team member.

Mathies to LA 2013
fancy_daniel

PostPosted: 03/28/07 2:25 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

bballfan2005 wrote:

I'm assuming you're speaking of Devanei Hampton. It is a major oversight, especially since I believe she is better than some of the players on that list now. I have to say though that not getting far in the NCAA tourney probably hurt her chances, but then again Angel McCoughtry didn't get far either.

Regardless, it speaks not only of East Coast bias but also of people voting who are not doing a very good job of seeing the game outside of their regions/conferences.

pilight

PostPosted: 03/28/07 2:31 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

bballfan2005 wrote:
Regardless of how the Pac-10 is perceived by fans, the fact still remains that it is a BCS conference and Hampton did win the POY in that conference. Thus, she should've at LEAST been a third-team member.

I don't see how BCS-ness is relevant. Football strength has no bearing on how schools support WCBB.

Any conference that goes 10 years without a F4 and 20 without a second team making one, as the P10 has done, isn't a major conference.

Most people hate poetry
CalwbbFan

PostPosted: 03/28/07 2:34 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

I have to say that I think Devanei Hampton should have made the list.....if you've seen her play throughout the season I think you would agree....she was hobbled by some quick fouls in the NCAA tourney game against ND, but she is a gifted player who deserves recognition....perhaps next season.

dtsnms

PostPosted: 03/28/07 2:37 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

fancy_daniel wrote:
Regardless, it speaks not only of East Coast bias but also of people voting who are not doing a very good job of seeing the game outside of their regions/conferences.

Maybe the latter statement, but east coast bias is a convenient copout. Georgia was seen up here in New England maybe once the entire season, if you're talking about taking Humphrey off. Cal was on TV more often than Georgia.

Personally I look at the best players on the best teams....Essence Carson should have gotten consideration. Tina Charles should have gotten consideration. I think you can raise the argument the Northeast didn't get enough support.

gpark33

PostPosted: 03/28/07 2:37 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

So wait, if I'm understanding, she beat out Wiggins for POY in the conference? If that's the case, how does Wiggins make it over her?

bballfan2005

PostPosted: 03/28/07 2:38 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

pilight wrote:
I don't see how BCS-ness is relevant. Football strength has no bearing on how schools support WCBB.

Any conference that goes 10 years without a F4 and 20 without a second team making one, as the P10 has done, isn't a major conference.

BCS conference = major conference. The terms are interchangeable. Does that help?

It's a conference that gets multiple bids to the NCAA Tournament every season and gets its fair share of preseason hype. What's there NOT to understand? Regardless of how fans perceive the Pac-10, the fact still remains that it's a MAJOR conference. They're not exactly playing against nobodies. Thus, the POY in the conference should be rewarded.

Mathies to LA 2013
fancy_daniel

PostPosted: 03/28/07 2:41 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

pilight wrote:
bballfan2005 wrote:

I don't know how much you've seen her play pilight but I think she is a much better player than McCoughtry, Humphrey and Bales. She is stronger than all of them in the paint and can challenge almost anyone in the country including some players in the first team.

fancy_daniel

PostPosted: 03/28/07 2:43 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

dtsnms wrote:
fancy_daniel wrote:

Maybe the latter statement, but east coast bias is a convenient copout. Georgia was seen up here in New England maybe once the entire season, if you're talking about taking Humphrey off. Cal was on TV more often than Georgia.

Personally I look at the best players on the best teams....Essence Carson should have gotten consideration. Tina Charles should have gotten consideration. I think you can raise the argument the Northeast didn't get enough support.

I'm sorry, but the Big East did not have that great of a year on an individual basis. Carson loses out because Rutgers came out so slow and they just started heating up. Charles, well, because she's a freshman and is just coming into her own. I didn't see that many games for Georgia either. Regardless, Humphrey had a down year and did not deserve to be on there.

CalwbbFan

PostPosted: 03/28/07 2:49 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Yes Devanei did beat out Candace for POY.....Candace missed five Pac-10 games due to various injuries.....Dev had knee surgery over the summer (injured while playing for the U.S. U-20 team) and took a while to get up to speed, but by the Pac-10 season, she was smokin'!!!

Whatever recognition she doesn't get now, she will eventually get in the WNBA....that girl is strong! I forget how much she can bench-press, but it scared me......

pilight

PostPosted: 03/28/07 2:52 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

The P10 is a major conference in WBB in the same sense that the SEC is a major conference in Ice Hockey.

Most people hate poetry
MadDog22

PostPosted: 03/28/07 2:53 pm    ::: Price - third team? Reply Reply with quote

Anyone else think that if Armintie Price played for Tennessee, LSU, UConn, Duke, North Caroline or Maryland and had these kinds of records: NCAA leader in steals per game and just the second player in NCAA history to record over 2,000 points, 1,000 rebounds, 400 assists and 400 steals in a career joining Cheryl Miller; that she would have been rated higher than third team?!?
Shocked

Just asking....

CB

PostPosted: 03/28/07 2:53 pm    ::: Re: All-Americans announced Reply Reply with quote

fancy_daniel wrote:
http://sports.espn.go.com/ncw/news/story?id=2815929

First Team
• Candace Parker, Tennessee
• Courtney Paris, Oklahoma
• Lindsey Harding, Duke
• Ivory Latta, North Carolina
• Jessica Davenport, Ohio State

That's an awesome team. I guess Parker would have to play the 3.

Quote:
The third team included Purdue's Katie Gearlds, North Carolina's Erlana Larkins, Duke's Alison Bales, Mississippi's Armintie Price and Georgia's Tasha Humphrey.

The preseason All-America team was Paris, Parker, Latta, Wiggins and Langhorne.

Joining Paris and Latta on last year's first team was Seimone Augustus of LSU -- a unanimous selection, Cappie Pondexter of Rutgers and Sophia Young of Baylor.

Seimone was unanimous, Parker just got 49 of 50. Razz Laughing

Congrats to Katie Gearlds and Armintie for making the 3rd team!

Last edited by CB on 03/28/07 2:58 pm; edited 1 time in total
bballfan2005

PostPosted: 03/28/07 2:55 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Price was done an injustice by the AP folks. She shouldn't have been any lower than 2nd team.

Mathies to LA 2013
womens_hoops

PostPosted: 03/28/07 2:58 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

part of the problem is that the voting is done so early. Lots of voters around the country didn't really get to see Price (among others) very much until the tournament. If voting were today, I bet Price would be 2nd team.

comet_fan_97

PostPosted: 03/28/07 3:09 pm    ::: Re: Price - third team? Reply Reply with quote

MadDog22 wrote:
Anyone else think that if Armintie Price played for Tennessee, LSU, UConn, Duke, North Caroline or Maryland and had these kinds of records: NCAA leader in steals per game and just the second player in NCAA history to record over 2,000 points, 1,000 rebounds, 400 assists and 400 steals in a career joining Cheryl Miller; that she would have been rated higher than third team?!?
Shocked

Just asking....

In my most BIASED and UPSET voice, I'll say HELL TO DA YES....I would have at least been OK with 2nd Team. What have these folks been looking at all year? That 1st team is tight and I know everyone can't make 1st team....and everyone can't be an All-American period....HOWEVER...even b4 the tourney, Price had broken/tied records and showed she was more than 3rd team. But, what the heck do I know? I'm just a biased Price fan....LOL She could have been snubbed like she has the past 3yrs so I GUESS I should at least be proud?? Nope, Carol Ross doesn't accept less in any way so why should I? Laughing

Off my soap box, congrats to them all!!!

PostPosted: 03/28/07 3:12 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

womens_hoops wrote:
part of the problem is that the voting is done so early. Lots of voters around the country didn't really get to see Price (among others) very much until the tournament. If voting were today, I bet Price would be 2nd team.

IMHO...I can't fully agree on that. From the list of who votes, many of them have at the very least heard of her the past 4yrs. Plus, Ole Miss had some early success that was televised (early failure too but that's beside the point.)

PostPosted: 03/28/07 3:23 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

I'm still trying to figure out how Hampton got POY in the Pac 10 over her teammate Ashley Walker who posted better points and rebounding numbers.

I should say that every time I saw Cal play on TV, I was more impressed with Hampton, so this is really a true question, not sarcasm.

In the end, the list is fair enough.

PostPosted: 03/28/07 3:30 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Listen up: I had you all vote in the ballots for Rebkell Kodak-All-Americans........ HOW MANY OF YOU voted for Hampton?? I put the results up there.... now compare it to the actual results.

PUmatty

PostPosted: 03/28/07 3:31 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Perhaps the voters for these teams (not the same as the voters for the conference awards) think that the Pac-10 voters got it wrong. That seems pretty simple.

CalwbbFan

PostPosted: 03/28/07 4:34 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

I think it was a tight call between Dev and Ashley....Ashley had better numbers over the season (Dev was rehabbing from her knee injury and saw limited play at the beginning)....however, when it came to Pac-10 play, Dev was more dominant.

Candace Wiggins is a great player, but when you miss 1/4 of the Pac-10 season, numbers suffer.

Dev and Ashley make a great team.....here's a link to a highlight vid of Cal's victory over Stanford this season at Maples where Dev did some nice work....

Also the guards shot well in that game...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kuwb-Tld8qc

I'm working on a vid of the UCLA game where Cal scored somethin' like 70 points in a little over 20 minutes.....some good offense in that comeback game to say the least.....stay tuned!

And for those who dismiss the Pac-10, go ahead.....I've seen some great games this season.....

Post new topic   Reply to topic    RebKell's Junkie Boards Forum Index » NCAA Women's Basketball - General Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3

Jump to: