RebKell's Junkie Boards
Board Junkies Forums

Joe Alleva is a f*ckface
Goto page Previous  1, 2

Post new topic   Reply to topic    RebKell's Junkie Boards Forum Index » NCAA Women's Basketball - General Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
GlennMacGrady

PostPosted: 03/28/07 9:56 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Our collective perspective is probably skewed.

Everyone here, despite differences over many things, generally thinks that women's basketball is the cat's meow. It is an important part of our lives. Or even a obsessive compulsion, if not a compulsive obsession.

AD's at many schools may not share that obsessive compulsion with the sport of wbb. They have lots of mixed metaphors on their plates to juggle. Maybe Duke believes it has higher priorities and better things to do with its money than give more of it to Coach Gooseggencores.

Would you pay $900,000 a year to have George Kolombatovich as coach of your women's fencing team?

womens_hoops

PostPosted: 03/28/07 9:57 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

dukemayo wrote:
You're right. Alleva's statement was inept.

to his credit, he seems to have shifted gears today. Saying the more normal "we hope she stays" and "she's a great coach" kind of stuff.

Just seems like it's probably too late.

DNA Fan

PostPosted: 03/28/07 10:26 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

GlennMacGrady wrote:
Our collective perspective is probably skewed.

Everyone here, despite differences over many things, generally thinks that women's basketball is the cat's meow. It is an important part of our lives. Or even a obsessive compulsion, if not a compulsive obsession.

AD's at many schools may not share that obsessive compulsion with the sport of wbb. They have lots of mixed metaphors on their plates to juggle. Maybe Duke believes it has higher priorities and better things to do with its money than give more of it to Coach Gooseggencores.

Would you pay $900,000 a year to have George Kolombatovich as coach of your women's fencing team?

You're probably right, but no need for name-calling! Shocked Goose-Egg-Encores! Wrong indeed! Laughing

I still say they should fight to keep her. Heck, the guys suffered a worse fate than she did, but I'm certain Coach K's not going anywhere. Yes, his teams' struggles were "documented", but come on, every has its slumps.

What's the cut-off ratio in 'ships/years? 0/X is bad, but that's the way the ball bounces sometimes. What if she leaves Duke and becomes Creme de la creme? What if she (God forbid) doesn't? I mean, if she got this far with Duke in two straight seasons and "choke", who's to say it won't happen again?

I wish her well wherever she may end up.

Stop the presses! Stop the hot damn presses!! We won the ship!! Very Happy

*fondles lucky Penny!*

The Big Three!

Like a fanstatic story told in three parts:

In the beginning there was Dee
In the middle there was Penny
Though all parts are interchanagable -- at the end of this story there was Cappie!!

- PHX Mercury '07 Champs!!
womens_hoops

PostPosted: 03/28/07 10:35 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

GlennMacGrady wrote:

It seems like Duke does believe that.

But maybe Duke's priorities are wrong. Maybe Duke should recognize that there is value in having a top-notch women's sports programs, even if those sports don't bring in revenue (yet).

It's not just about personal preferences and a few people having an obsession with on random sports. It's about something a little bigger than that.

MNfan22

PostPosted: 03/28/07 11:18 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

hhs1979 wrote:
Duke Women's Soccer has never won a national championship. You're thinking of UNC.

thanks, yikes Rolling Eyes yup I was thinking UNC Embarassed

PostPosted: 03/28/07 11:44 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

http://www.dallasnews.com/sharedcontent/dws/spt/colleges/topstories/stories/032907dnspoutbkwhoops.c32143e.html

Quote:
Goestenkors, 44, was scheduled to have dinner with high-ranking members of the Texas administration Wednesday night, when the job was to be formally offered, according to one source close to the UT program.

That source indicated she would be paid about $800,000 per year, which would double what she is believed to earn at Duke.

http://www.statesman.com/sports/content/sports/stories/longhorns/03/29/29texfem.html?COXnetJSessionIDbuild22=dT6vGLGR2QcdLQ8T464TJHK7FKGHYlYspJ0dfQkHPl8hcqCfkpyJ!377757847&UrAuth=`NbNUOaN]UbTTUWUXUVUZT[U\UWUbUaUZU]UbUcTYWYWZV&urcm=y

Quote:
Goestenkors also could use her interview at Texas to entice Alleva to give her program other concessions. She has wanted her teams to fly chartered planes to games. That's a given at Texas and with other Big 12 teams.

CourtsideTix

PostPosted: 03/29/07 4:20 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

swok34 wrote:

http://www.statesman.com/sports/content/sports/stories/longhorns/03/29/29texfem.html?COXnetJSessionIDbuild22=dT6vGLGR2QcdLQ8T464TJHK7FKGHYlYspJ0dfQkHPl8hcqCfkpyJ!377757847&UrAuth=`NbNUOaN]UbTTUWUXUVUZT[U\UWUbUaUZU]UbUcTYWYWZV&urcm=y

Quote:
Goestenkors also could use her interview at Texas to entice Alleva to give her program other concessions. She has wanted her teams to fly chartered planes to games. That's a given at Texas and with other Big 12 teams.

The Duke women don't fly charters? Wow. I'm sure Coach K isn't stuffed into coach on US Airways. That's really pathetic, particularly for such a preeminent women's team.

GlennMacGrady

PostPosted: 03/29/07 9:12 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Hint to Ted: the world needs a good women's fencing blog.

womens_hoops

PostPosted: 03/29/07 9:14 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

GlennMacGrady wrote:
Hint to Ted: the world needs a good women's fencing blog.

agreed. Emily Hannenberg deserves more pub.

but my hands are full. so that one is for you.

GlennMacGrady

PostPosted: 03/29/07 9:30 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Touché.

dukemayo

PostPosted: 03/29/07 1:25 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

CourtsideTix wrote:
swok34 wrote:

Quote:

The Duke women don't fly charters? Wow. I'm sure Coach K isn't stuffed into coach on US Airways. That's really pathetic, particularly for such a preeminent women's team.

I'm pretty sure they fly charter sometimes, but often they don't need to fly at all. UNC-Chapel Hill is 12 miles away, NC State 24, Wake Forest 90, and Virginia about 200.

Travel's easier anyway in the ACC because of the milder weather. Plus no Tornado Alley.

dtsnms

PostPosted: 03/29/07 1:27 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

dukemayo wrote:
I'm pretty sure they fly charter sometimes, but often they don't need to fly at all. UNC-Chapel Hill is 12 miles away, NC State 24, Wake Forest 90, and Virginia about 200.

Travel's easier anyway in the ACC because of the milder weather. Plus no Tornado Alley.

Which is why Boston College was such a logical addition. Rolling Eyes Yes, I'm still bitter.... Wink

bballfan2005

PostPosted: 03/29/07 1:30 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

dtsnms wrote:
Which is why Boston College was such a logical addition. Rolling Eyes Yes, I'm still bitter.... Wink

As I've said before, you can take them back (along with VT and Miami). We wanted Syracuse in the worst way and got saddled with BC. Crying or Very sad

Mathies to LA 2013
CamrnCrz1974

PostPosted: 03/29/07 1:31 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

bballfan2005 wrote:
dtsnms wrote:

As I've said before, you can take them back (along with VT and Miami). We wanted Syracuse in the worst way and got saddled with BC. Crying or Very sad

I don't mind Va Tech. If we could have added Florida with Miami, it would have been better. As it stands, basketball travel isn't compromised that much with two Florida schools

ucbart

PostPosted: 03/29/07 1:36 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

CamrnCrz1974 wrote:
bballfan2005 wrote:
dtsnms wrote:

I don't mind Va Tech. If we could have added Florida with Miami, it would have been better. As it stands, basketball travel isn't compromised that much with two Florida schools

At least our conferences aren't the WAC. Louisiana Tech plays a conference game with Hawaii. That still makes shake my head.

bballfan2005

PostPosted: 03/29/07 1:36 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

CamrnCrz1974 wrote:
I don't mind Va Tech.

I do. I hate Marcus Vick. I hate Frank Beamer. I hate Zabian Dowdell and Deron Washington (and so does Lee Melchionni). I hate Uncle Fester Greenberg. There's nothing good that comes out of that school whatsoever.

Quote:
If we could have added Florida with Miami, it would have been better. As it stands, basketball travel isn't compromised that much with two Florida schools

I agree. I just don't like Miami football much anymore.

Mathies to LA 2013
ucbart

PostPosted: 03/29/07 1:46 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

bballfan2005 wrote:
CamrnCrz1974 wrote:
I don't mind Va Tech.

I do. I hate Marcus Vick. I hate Frank Beamer. I hate Zabian Dowdell and Deron Washington (and so does Lee Melchionni). I hate Uncle Fester Greenberg. There's nothing good that comes out of that school whatsoever.

Quote:
If we could have added Florida with Miami, it would have been better. As it stands, basketball travel isn't compromised that much with two Florida schools

As you shouldn't. They are a disgrace to college athletics.

MadDog22

PostPosted: 03/29/07 2:02 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Quote:
At least our conferences aren't the WAC. Louisiana Tech plays a conference game with Hawaii. That still makes shake my head.

Cool...can you imagine being a college kid and getting a free trip to Hawaii to play a basketball game?!? Surprised

I doubt the LA Tech players complain too much about that road trip!

memphis10

PostPosted: 03/29/07 2:15 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

bballfan2005 wrote:
dtsnms wrote:

Ha, Ha! Only if they give back Louisville and Cincy. I miss those rivalries. Crying or Very sad

R.I.P Shara 1993-2009
R.I.P. Taylor Bradford
Sec310

PostPosted: 03/29/07 3:02 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

womens_hoops wrote:
GlennMacGrady wrote:

It seems like Duke does believe that.

But maybe Duke's priorities are wrong. Maybe Duke should recognize that there is value in having a top-notch women's sports programs, even if those sports don't bring in revenue (yet).

When will women's sports bring in revenue? When will ESPN give WBB a billion dollar TV deal to show the tourney? When will NCAA tourney arenas sell out and I'm not talking about the damn Final Four. Lots and lots of empty seats for the first two weekends. Terrible!!!! I shouldn't be able to buy a ticket ten mins before tip for a NCAA game.

RavenDog

PostPosted: 03/29/07 4:03 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Don't understand the Goestenkor bashing.

One more inch by Bales and Duke wins NC.

If Prince doesn't steal ball and score or Carson turnover Harding, or Harding doesn't miss both free throws against Rutgers, Duke most likely wins.

I didn't see GG on floor in either of these games.

Winning the NC is a tough chore and a lucky one. GG got them there, she can't play too.

DNA Fan

PostPosted: 03/29/07 6:14 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

RavenDog wrote:
Don't understand the Goestenkor bashing.

One more inch by Bales and Duke wins NC.

If Prince doesn't steal ball and score or Carson turnover Harding, or Harding doesn't miss both free throws against Rutgers, Duke most likely wins.

I didn't see GG on floor in either of these games.

Winning the NC is a tough chore and a lucky one. GG got them there, she can't play too.

GG's not being bashed here. It's the AD (at least I think so) Maybe it's just the disappointment talking. I agree with every word you said, but if I were the coach/gm/ad and I wasn't successful for a stretch of time, no doubt the thought of re-locating would cross my mind.

If I were Coach G, I would explore my other options; it wouldn't necessarily mean I would leave no matter how inticing the offer from other programs, but I wouldn't throw around ultimatums either because, well, that's just not a good way to go about getting what you want. It's not my fault my boss is tight on money; heck, if I were in a monetary predicament, I'd hang on to the very little loose change I have, too. But that's just me.

With that said. I want her to say at Duke, too, but let's be realistic!! Why give GG 4 mill if you only have 2?

Stop the presses! Stop the hot damn presses!! We won the ship!! Very Happy

*fondles lucky Penny!*

The Big Three!

Like a fanstatic story told in three parts:

In the beginning there was Dee
In the middle there was Penny
Though all parts are interchanagable -- at the end of this story there was Cappie!!

- PHX Mercury '07 Champs!!
Koopster

PostPosted: 03/29/07 7:07 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

womens_hoops wrote:
dukemayo wrote:
Some of Alleva's recent quotes weren't particularly helpful, but where's the evidence they ticked Coach G off...?

there isn't any direct evidence. But suppose you're Alleva and you want to keep her. If someone from the press comes and asks you, you respond: "Coach G is one of the best coaches in the country. We'll do whatever we can to keep her."

If you want to be more pointed, you say "Coach G is one of the best coaches in the country. Unfortunately, we do not have the financial resources for athletics that some schools do. But we will nonetheless do whatever we can to keep her. Even if we can't pay her as much as Florida or Texas, we hope that we can remind her what a wonderful institution Duke is and how much she is loved here."

Here's what he said instead: "We aren't going to pay her as much as someone else will. We aren't going to pay her what Pat and Geno make, because she doesn't deserve it -- they've won championships, and she hasn't, and she hasn't drawn the fan support that they have."

He didn't even seem to give any token "we'll do what we can" gesture.

What gives?

I couldn't agree more and said as much on a Purdue board recently. I continue to be amazed by some of the basic PR moves in such a short amount of time with major institutions.

I wouldn't excpect the general public to understand the fine details of running an athletic department...but they do understand common spin related rheteric and have come to expect it... even if it is not sincere.

Koopster

PostPosted: 03/29/07 7:21 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

ucbart wrote:
bballfan2005 wrote:
CamrnCrz1974 wrote:
I don't mind Va Tech.

Quote:

As you shouldn't. They are a disgrace to college athletics.

The school is a disgrace to college athletics and in turn is embarrassing at a place of higher learning...most universities came together as conferences for the benefits of shared resources in regards to academics. I would rather the U of Chicago became a B-10 member again rather that Miami.

dukemayo

PostPosted: 03/30/07 5:23 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

MadDog22 wrote:
Quote:

Cool...can you imagine being a college kid and getting a free trip to Hawaii to play a basketball game?!? Surprised

I doubt the LA Tech players complain too much about that road trip!

Actually, speaking of dumb AD decisions, unless the football-obsessed AD who got them in that conference sprung for an extra night's stay, those trips are probably more tiring than enjoyable, with little free time in Hawaii. My theory is that the move to the WAC killed any chance for LA Tech, as a mid-major, to remain a wbb Top 25 program.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    RebKell's Junkie Boards Forum Index » NCAA Women's Basketball - General Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: