RebKell's Junkie Boards
Board Junkies Forums

Joe Alleva is a f*ckface
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    RebKell's Junkie Boards Forum Index » NCAA Women's Basketball - General Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
CamrnCrz1974

PostPosted: 03/28/07 11:26 am    ::: Joe Alleva is a f*ckface Reply Reply with quote

Right now, it is a race to see who is more incompetent...Joe Alleva or Ann Meyers.

I am changing my screen name to "Biblical Job."

thatGAgirl

PostPosted: 03/28/07 11:38 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

I have no idea what you're talking about, but for some reason your thread title made me LOL!

Laughing

- Diana Taurasi
BBallFanCT729

PostPosted: 03/28/07 11:41 am    ::: Re: Joe Alleva is a f*ckface Reply Reply with quote

CamrnCrz1974 wrote:
Right now, it is a race to see who is more incompetent...Joe Alleva or Ann Meyers.

I am changing my screen name to "Biblical Job."

I didn't think anyone could challenge Ann Meyers for the award...I was sadly mistaken Crying or Very sad

Perhaps Duke should get a new AD instead?

ucbart

PostPosted: 03/28/07 11:46 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

thatGAgirl wrote:
I have no idea what you're talking about, but for some reason your thread title made me LOL!

Laughing

I can't believe they would let Coach G go. Sorry Oklahoma fans, Texas is about to TAKE OVER the Big 12.

bluewolfvii

PostPosted: 03/28/07 11:53 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

With Cam changing his handle to Biblical Job and Caune's prayer circle requesting divine guidance to bring Fowles across the desert to the promised land, Majerle's is shaping up to be a religious experience this year!

BBallFanCT729

PostPosted: 03/28/07 11:56 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

bluewolfvii wrote:
With Cam changing his handle to Biblical Job and Caune's prayer circle requesting divine guidance to bring Fowles across the desert to the promised land, Majerle's is shaping up to be a religious experience this year!

In more ways than one, I'm sure...

RavenDog

PostPosted: 03/28/07 12:10 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Texas and the great majority of Texas fans will be appreciative and ecstatic to get GG, if it should transpire. However, I believe it is in Duke's best interest to make the necessary administrative changes to keep GG there and raise her pay.

IMO, only Coach K. has enough influence to make this happen should he too feel administrative changes are needed.

I don't think this is only about $.

On your second point, AMD scares the living blood cells out of me. I think she could hurt Phoenix more than a (lucky) new head coach can at Duke.

Right now, I think having the #1 Pick rather than say a #4 is just too much for her to deal with thereby possibly leading her to make a "Houston Texan" decision or move.

dukemayo

PostPosted: 03/28/07 1:14 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Some of Alleva's recent quotes weren't particularly helpful, but where's the evidence they ticked Coach G off or, more importantly, that they indicate a deeper problem that he can do anything about?

If G goes, my theory is it will be because she feels she's gone as far as she can at Duke. It seems too many well-prepared and capable students like Kara Lawson, Candace Parker, and Brittany Hunter want to go where they can concentrate on basketball and still have a social life. Every major state university has its demanding majors, but it also has its soft ones here and there. The range at Duke seems to go only from medium to hard, with no real softees. Even the Education Dept. was phased out years ago in an effort to upgrade the curriculum.

And a ceiling seems to have been reached in building fan support, something Coach G has put a lot of effort into.

womens_hoops

PostPosted: 03/28/07 1:16 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

From the Herald-Sun today:

Quote:
For his part, Alleva has downplayed the idea that money will be the deciding factor in whether Goestenkors stays.

"There are a lot more elements that purely financial," Alleva said last week. "A lot more than purely financial."

what the hell does that mean?

dtsnms

PostPosted: 03/28/07 1:20 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

winning? attendance? Behavior of the program's athletes? Too many wild parties? Oops, sorry, wrong Duke team.... Wink

dukemayo

PostPosted: 03/28/07 1:23 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

womens_hoops wrote:
From the Herald-Sun today:

Quote:
For his part, Alleva has downplayed the idea that money will be the deciding factor in whether Goestenkors stays.

"There are a lot more elements that purely financial," Alleva said last week. "A lot more than purely financial."

what the hell does that mean?

I think things like I wrote just above. There are natural limits at Duke in who you can recruit and get admitted and in how large the fan base can be, especially the live attendance.

A team with Duke's talent and record playing an NCAA regional just 50 miles from Austin would have sold 8-10,000 tickets, not the 2,000 or so that Duke sold for Greensboro.

womens_hoops

PostPosted: 03/28/07 1:26 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

dukemayo wrote:
Some of Alleva's recent quotes weren't particularly helpful, but where's the evidence they ticked Coach G off...?

there isn't any direct evidence. But suppose you're Alleva and you want to keep her. If someone from the press comes and asks you, you respond: "Coach G is one of the best coaches in the country. We'll do whatever we can to keep her."

If you want to be more pointed, you say "Coach G is one of the best coaches in the country. Unfortunately, we do not have the financial resources for athletics that some schools do. But we will nonetheless do whatever we can to keep her. Even if we can't pay her as much as Florida or Texas, we hope that we can remind her what a wonderful institution Duke is and how much she is loved here."

Here's what he said instead: "We aren't going to pay her as much as someone else will. We aren't going to pay her what Pat and Geno make, because she doesn't deserve it -- they've won championships, and she hasn't, and she hasn't drawn the fan support that they have."

He didn't even seem to give any token "we'll do what we can" gesture.

What gives?

fancy_daniel

PostPosted: 03/28/07 1:55 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Well, Joe Alleva doesn't seem to be someone that cares about women's basketball. But I guess he will realize what he's missing once Coach G is gone. I wouldn't stay if that were the situation.

caune

PostPosted: 03/28/07 2:08 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Is it true what they said on the TV broadcast last night that she isn't even in the top five pay scale for Duke coaches?
Who makes more? The La Crosse coach Wink

I admit, I'm not a huge fan of Coach G because of the late game mental meltdowns her teams seem to experienced, but she is certainly a good coach and excellent recruiter and deserves to win her first championship with the program she's poured so much into....that said, if they don't "get it" at Duke, they certainly do at Texas.

PostPosted: 03/28/07 2:19 pm    ::: Re: Joe Alleva is a f*ckface Reply Reply with quote

CamrnCrz1974 wrote:

Laughing

So sad but so true.

Mathies to LA 2013
beknighted

PostPosted: 03/28/07 2:36 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

caune wrote:
Is it true what they said on the TV broadcast last night that she isn't even in the top five pay scale for Duke coaches?

That puzzles me, too. I wonder if that counts the men's basketball assistants, who might do pretty well at Duke. Even then, it would seem hard to get to five unless the baseball and lacrosse coaches are wildly overpaid.

womens_hoops

PostPosted: 03/28/07 2:40 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

caune wrote:

I couldn't tell whether they were saying that she isn't in the top 5 at Duke or that she isn't in the top 5 of WCBB coaches. Just another example of Nancy's incoherence.

MNfan22

PostPosted: 03/28/07 2:41 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

caune wrote:

My guess is football, men's b-ball, maybe the women's soccer coach (they've won a few nat'l titles) maybe LaCrosse too Shocked Come on Duke fans who might the others be ?

PostPosted: 03/28/07 2:42 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

womens_hoops wrote:
caune wrote:

I couldn't tell whether they were saying that she isn't in the top 5 at Duke or that she isn't in the top 5 of WCBB coaches. Just another example of Nancy's incoherence.

aaaah, good point WH.

PostPosted: 03/28/07 2:46 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

MNfan22 wrote:
My guess is football, men's b-ball, maybe the women's soccer coach (they've won a few nat'l titles) maybe LaCrosse too Shocked Come on Duke fans who might the others be ?

Johnny Dawkins

Mathies to LA 2013
hhs1979

PostPosted: 03/28/07 3:01 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Duke Women's Soccer has never won a national championship. You're thinking of UNC. However, the golf and tennis programs are strong with golf winning 3 national championships.

I don't know who the 4 more highly paid coaches AT Duke, but Nancy's statement was reported previously and clearly that GG is 5th highest paid at Duke.

LadyDevilFan

PostPosted: 03/28/07 3:22 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

hhs1979 wrote:
I don't know who the 4 more highly paid coaches AT Duke, but Nancy's statement was reported previously and clearly that GG is 5th highest paid at Duke.

On the ESPN broadcast they said "coaches," but I've read other reports that said exactly the same thing only they used the word "employees," which definitely changes the equation. The university president or athletic director, etc. could be counted as making more than Coach G.

Duke Chronicle

Quote:
Goestenkors' salary is not public information, but she was not listed among the top five paid employees on Duke's most recent Internal Revenue Service 990 tax filing. The lowest among those five earned $532,584 in the fiscal year that ended in 2005.

It'd be nice to think the ESPN broadcasters actually knew what they were talking about when they speculate...but alas it's too much to hope for. Rolling Eyes

--LDF

potd41

PostPosted: 03/28/07 4:27 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

bluewolfvii wrote:

Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing !!!!!!!!!!!!!

dukemayo

PostPosted: 03/28/07 8:28 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

womens_hoops wrote:
dukemayo wrote:
Some of Alleva's recent quotes weren't particularly helpful, but where's the evidence they ticked Coach G off...?

there isn't any direct evidence. But suppose you're Alleva and you want to keep her. If someone from the press comes and asks you, you respond: "Coach G is one of the best coaches in the country. We'll do whatever we can to keep her."

If you want to be more pointed, you say "Coach G is one of the best coaches in the country. Unfortunately, we do not have the financial resources for athletics that some schools do. But we will nonetheless do whatever we can to keep her. Even if we can't pay her as much as Florida or Texas, we hope that we can remind her what a wonderful institution Duke is and how much she is loved here."

Here's what he said instead: "We aren't going to pay her as much as someone else will. We aren't going to pay her what Pat and Geno make, because she doesn't deserve it -- they've won championships, and she hasn't, and she hasn't drawn the fan support that they have."

He didn't even seem to give any token "we'll do what we can" gesture.

What gives?

You're right. Alleva's statement was inept.

The "fan support" comment is particularly galling, because Coach G has worked tirelessly to build attendance at games. As I understand it, she enlisted the help of the Dean of the Engineering School, Dr. Kristina Johnson, to develop student support and create a wbb Cameron Crazie section.

She persuaded the USA national team to train at Duke this summer for the World Championship. They held open practices at Duke, UNC, and NC State. Then for the exhibiiton game vs. the Australians, she asked Dr. Johnson to organize a fund to buy a 1,000 tickets for students @ $7 each.

That worked well, but the season-ticket holders didn't really respond, so the crowd was disappointing. Unfortunately, one prominent sth who has a large listserv was pissed that he couldn't get his usual seat for that game and let everyone know it, failing to understand that it wasn't a Duke event. It was under the auspices of FIBA and the US national team. That persuaded, I'd guess, at least a few dozen, and maybe more, to "boycott" the game.

My hunch is that such frustrations are going to play a larger role in her decision than salary or even the difficulties of recruiting and admissions. Can you tell that I wouldn't blame her?

RavenDog

PostPosted: 03/28/07 9:00 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

It's over.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    RebKell's Junkie Boards Forum Index » NCAA Women's Basketball - General Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: