RebKell's Junkie Boards
Board Junkies Forums

Question about Recruits

Post new topic   Reply to topic    RebKell's Junkie Boards Forum Index » NCAA Women's Basketball - General Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
ripleydc

PostPosted: 03/28/07 6:56 am    ::: Question about Recruits Reply Reply with quote

in light of the coaching carousel that's about to start spinning, I was wondering if it's possible for recruits to change their "commits" to a school in order to follow a coach.

can someone bring me up to speed on the NCAA rules about this...?

PUmatty

PostPosted: 03/28/07 7:57 am    ::: Re: Question about Recruits Reply Reply with quote

ripleydc wrote:
in light of the coaching carousel that's about to start spinning, I was wondering if it's possible for recruits to change their "commits" to a school in order to follow a coach.

can someone bring me up to speed on the NCAA rules about this...?

If the school lets them out of their Letter of Commitment, then they are free to go wherever tehy want without transfer penalty. See Harris, Amber, and Jernigan, DeeDee.

If the university (read: new coach) doesn't let them out, they have to sit out a year at their new institution if they decide to enroll somewhere else as in a transfer.

ripleydc

PostPosted: 03/28/07 8:02 am    ::: Re: Question about Recruits Reply Reply with quote

PUmatty wrote:
If the school lets them out of their Letter of Commitment, then they are free to go wherever tehy want without transfer penalty. See Harris, Amber, and Jernigan, DeeDee.

If the university (read: new coach) doesn't let them out, they have to sit out a year at their new institution if they decide to enroll somewhere else as in a transfer.

thank you!

I assume this applies to signed commits only...that verbals are free to go anywhere until they put it in writing.

Michael

PostPosted: 03/28/07 8:04 am    ::: Re: Question about Recruits Reply Reply with quote

ripleydc wrote:
PUmatty wrote:

thank you!

I assume this applies to signed commits only...that verbals are free to go anywhere until they put it in writing.

Yes, it only applies to LOI's. Verbals aren't worth the paper they are printed on, see Phillips, Ta'Shia.

Also, I thought if an athlete signed and transferred to another school without being released and without ever enrolling at the signed institution, it was a 2 year sit out penalty.

Michael

PostPosted: 03/28/07 9:02 am    ::: Re: Question about Recruits Reply Reply with quote

Michael wrote:
ripleydc wrote:
PUmatty wrote:

thank you!

Yes, it only applies to LOI's. Verbals aren't worth the paper they are printed on, see Phillips, Ta'Shia.

Also, I thought if an athlete signed and transferred to another school without being released and without ever enrolling at the signed institution, it was a 2 year sit out penalty.

Michael

I think some conferences have a two year rule for transfers within conference...

Grumps

PUmatty

PostPosted: 03/28/07 10:14 am    ::: Re: Question about Recruits Reply Reply with quote

Grumps wrote:
Michael wrote:
ripleydc wrote:
PUmatty wrote:

thank you!

Michael

I think some conferences have a two year rule for transfers within conference...

Grumps

And others don't allow scholarships for interconference transfers. The B11 makes a student athlete pay their own way if their transfer to another school in the conference. April Calhoun did this at Minnesota.

For the B11, I think, that rule is the same with a signed LOI.

comet_fan_97

PostPosted: 03/28/07 3:26 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

This is good to know. Maybe my team can snag a few of those "un-committed" players out there....I can hope at least!

PostPosted: 03/28/07 6:40 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

comet_fan_97 wrote:
This is good to know. Maybe my team can snag a few of those "un-committed" players out there....I can hope at least!

I think many of us are hoping that as well. I wouldn't doubt if some players changed their minds once they found out the coach that recruited them is leaving for somewhere else. However, some schools may not have scholarships to give. This will definitely be another aspect to this yet to come interesting off-season.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    RebKell's Junkie Boards Forum Index » NCAA Women's Basketball - General Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: