RebKell's Junkie Boards
Board Junkies Forums

Geno Prepares to lose assistants
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    RebKell's Junkie Boards Forum Index » NCAA Women's Basketball - General Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Michael

PostPosted: 03/27/07 12:46 pm    ::: Re: Geno Prepares to lose assistants Reply Reply with quote

ThreeBall25 wrote:
Quote:
a) he doesn't pay them, the univ does. He pays them a part of his shoe contract and for camps, but their major chunk of their salary and benefits (40% of salary) comes from the taxpayers of CT and parents who pay to send their kids to his camps

b) I'll go on out on the limb here and say other programs don't like him because of statements he made about them having the best staff, and that everybody knows it. That's quite the insult to staffs at other schools, many of whom recently beat UConn, out recruited them and have better graduation rates. what an ass.

HEY MORON, care to tell me who has better than a 100% graduation rate? Because I'm pretty sure it doesn't get any better than that. If you are gonna call him out, that's find, but have a clue before you do it.

Anyways, I would love, love, love for Shea to leave Pitt and join the UConn staff.

Anyone need an example of why many dislike UConn fans and UConn by extension? Re-read this post and the ever so sensitive one just before the NCSt game. UConn does not have a 100% graduation rate, although I do think theirs is very high and I do not know of any that are higher, but I do know that UConn's cannot be 100%, they have had kids transfer and drop out that make that statement impossible in addition to being insulting and showing the ignorance of the poster.

PostPosted: 03/27/07 12:51 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

hoopfan24 wrote:

No, he said he has the best staff in the country and everybody knows it. Who the hell is everybody? He says they are best because they recruit well, win and graduate their players. Hello Geno, that's the case at many at schools too - and better academic schools than UConn.

Read the whole damn quote!!!

Quote:
Obviously there's a reason we've been successful," Auriemma said. "I've got the best coaching staff in the country. Everybody in America knows that. We recruit well, we coach them well, our guys graduate, our program's been good for a long time

He's giving credit to his assistant coaches for all they do. His team is a national power, graduates almost everyone from a quality school (last I checked over 1300 SAT scores was a minimum), and has one heckuva record in putting players into the WNBA (hence the coach well statement).

You've got your anti-Geno bullshit agenda going here, and you're grasping at straws to try to make a point that isn't there.

There is no way in hell any head coach would say their assistants aren't the best. Get over it.

ILUVBIGTEN

PostPosted: 03/27/07 12:51 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

dtsnms wrote:
ILUVBIGTEN wrote:

It's obvious you're still smarting from last night and that's understandable. Like you, I can post any opinion I wish. Perhaps don't read my posts?

Then don't post them in the UConn threads, 'kay? If you want to blast the guy, do it in the game thread or something. There was no reason for your comment here.

My first comment dealt directly with Geno, in the subject line of this thread. Period.

dtsnms

PostPosted: 03/27/07 12:55 pm    ::: Re: Geno Prepares to lose assistants Reply Reply with quote

Michael wrote:
Anyone need an example of why many dislike UConn fans and UConn by extension? Re-read this post and the ever so sensitive one just before the NCSt game. UConn does not have a 100% graduation rate, although I do think theirs is very high and I do not know of any that are higher, but I do know that UConn's cannot be 100%, they have had kids transfer and drop out that make that statement impossible in addition to being insulting and showing the ignorance of the poster.

I'm sorry, but it's just outright wrong for someone to dislike an entire group of fans because of what one person writes. You think I agree with all the Purdue fans? But I don't think you're all assholes or hate the program. How about Comets fans in the W section? How about Tennessee fans? Should I hate all of them because of what's posted on the Summitt? Duke?

It's a copout in my opinion. And as intelligent people, some of you have a responsibility to try to think "outside of the box" and not fall into that trap.

hoopfan24

PostPosted: 03/27/07 12:56 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

dtsnms wrote:
hoopfan24 wrote:

No, he said he has the best staff in the country and everybody knows it. Who the hell is everybody? He says they are best because they recruit well, win and graduate their players. Hello Geno, that's the case at many at schools too - and better academic schools than UConn.

Read the whole damn quote!!!

Quote:
Obviously there's a reason we've been successful," Auriemma said. "I've got the best coaching staff in the country. Everybody in America knows that. We recruit well, we coach them well, our guys graduate, our program's been good for a long time

He's giving credit to his assistant coaches for all they do. His team is a national power, graduates almost everyone from a quality school (last I checked over 1300 SAT scores was a minimum), and has one heckuva record in putting players into the WNBA (hence the coach well statement).

You've got your anti-Geno bullshit agenda going here, and you're grasping at straws to try to make a point that isn't there.

There is no way in hell any head coach would say their assistants aren't the best. Get over it.

I read the entire quote. Tara and Pat have said they have great staffs, but they haven't said they have the best staff in AMERICA and EVERYONE knows. His comment credits his staffs, but disrepectul to others. Again, no surprise why people don't like him, especially other staffs.

dtsnms

PostPosted: 03/27/07 12:58 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

hoopfan24 wrote:

I read the entire quote. Tara and Pat have said they have great staffs, but they haven't said they have the best staff in AMERICA and EVERYONE knows. His comment credits his staffs, but disrepectul to others. Again, no surprise why people don't like him, especially other staffs.

LMAO! Semantics, you want to play semantics? Geez, unfreaking believable. For some reason I don't think any program in America picked up the paper and said "That Geno! He said his staff is THE BEST? I hate him so much for that!"

You really aren't serious about this right? Cause it's unbelievable if you are.

gpark33

PostPosted: 03/27/07 1:02 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

BBallFanCT729 wrote:
So, now that I've ranted, what are some possibilties for Chris, Tonya, and Jamelle?

I know Chris Dailey may be the least likely to leave as long as the tenure has been so far but I'd love to see what she could do as a head coach. Maybe even more unlikely, but I wouldn't mind seeing her in the SEC.

ILUVBIGTEN

PostPosted: 03/27/07 1:02 pm    ::: Re: Geno Prepares to lose assistants Reply Reply with quote

dtsnms wrote:
Michael wrote:

I'm sorry, but it's just outright wrong for someone to dislike an entire group of fans because of what one person writes. You think I agree with all the Purdue fans? But I don't think you're all assholes or hate the program. How about Comets fans in the W section? How about Tennessee fans? Should I hate all of them because of what's posted on the Summitt? Duke?

It's a copout in my opinion. And as intelligent people, some of you have a responsibility to try to think "outside of the box" and not fall into that trap.

I sure as heck don't think all UConn fans are assholes OR hate their program, either. UConn has helped elevate women's basketball to a more visible (and viable) stature. I just can't stand Geno. Wink

CamrnCrz1974

PostPosted: 03/27/07 1:04 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

dtsnms wrote:
hoopfan24 wrote:

LMAO! Semantics, you want to play semantics? Geez, unfreaking believable. For some reason I don't think any program in America picked up the paper and said "That Geno! He said his staff is THE BEST? I hate him so much for that!"

Hoop, if DTS says he thinks his kid is the best, is that being disrespectful to everyone else's kids? If DTS says NMS is the best spouse, is that disrespectful to everyone else's spouses?

dtsnms

PostPosted: 03/27/07 1:08 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

OMG!!! HOOPFAN YOU BETTER CHECK THIS OUT, QUICK!!!!

TARA'S SLANDERING THE OTHER COACHES IN THE COUNTRY!!! LOOK AT HER CAMP WEBSITE!!!!

Tara VanDerveer Basketball Enterprises, Inc.

Play with the best
& Learn from the best

Amy Tucker
Karen Middleton
Charmin Smith

They...they....they're HER ASSISTANT COACHES!!! And she said if you go there, you LEARN FROM THE BEST

How has this gone undetected??????? She should be thrown out of the WBCA!!!!!

http://64.233.167.104/search?q=cache:vpWgDFDdqdsJ:www.tarahoops.com/camps/staff.htm+vanderveer+best+coaching+staff&hl=en&ct=clnk&cd=4&gl=us

dtsnms

PostPosted: 03/27/07 1:08 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

CamrnCrz1974 wrote:
dtsnms wrote:
hoopfan24 wrote:

Hoop, if DTS says he thinks his kid is the best, is that being disrespectful to everyone else's kids? If DTS says NMS is the best spouse, is that disrespectful to everyone else's spouses?

YEAH! And it's NMS' birthday today too!!!!! Shocked

Michael

PostPosted: 03/27/07 1:16 pm    ::: Re: Geno Prepares to lose assistants Reply Reply with quote

dtsnms wrote:
Michael wrote:

Its not just one, it is a half dozen or more on this forum alone. It was the T shirts printed up a few years ago asking the other teams how it felt to not have a chance. And yes, it is a little Geno saying "he has the best staff AND EVERYONE KNOWS IT." If he just says I have a great staff, or even I have the best staff in my opinion, no problem. But he claims it is a known fact by the whole world that he has the best staff and that is an incredibly arrogant and unproveable statement. It isn't one thing or one fan, it is a pattern of arrogance and condesencion from UConn's head coach on down, and if you cannot see it, try stepping a little further away from the program and look from the outside for a change.

PostPosted: 03/27/07 1:25 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

CamrnCrz1974 wrote:
dtsnms wrote:
hoopfan24 wrote:

You guys aren't following, I don't like it when say he said 'everyone in America knows that they have the best staff. that's bullshit. It's like if he said everyone in America knows Charles is the best frosh, no many other fans and players think differently, that's all. Who is he to say what the fuck America thinks. It's arrogance per usual from Geno.

PUmatty

PostPosted: 03/27/07 1:28 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Not sure how anyone could think that Geno doesn't have the best staff.

I am just saying ...

hoopfan24

PostPosted: 03/27/07 1:32 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

PUmatty wrote:

I am just saying ...

well....falling short of the F4 and NC the past 3 years isn't such great performance by the so called best staff in America, is it?

SueBirdFan

PostPosted: 03/27/07 1:33 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

PUmatty wrote:

I am just saying ...

I agree

Go Storm!

"Go smack yourself in the face and see what happens."
dtsnms

PostPosted: 03/27/07 1:33 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

I quit, you win. He's an asshole for not tempering every quote he says by wondering how you'll think of it.

Now, about that Tara ad that you've chosen not to address? You know, the one where she says "learn from the best"? After all, if it applies to Geno....

PUmatty

PostPosted: 03/27/07 1:36 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

hoopfan24 wrote:
PUmatty wrote:

I am just saying ...

well....falling short of the F4 and NC the past 3 years isn't such great performance by the so called best staff in America, is it?

I am sorry. I thought that they had been together more than three years and had more than three years of accomplishments. I must be mistaken.

Who then is the best staff in America. LSU?

frogdog

PostPosted: 03/27/07 1:37 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Something isn't right here
Over the years Chris hasn't tried to make a upward move in her chosen career. She has been content to be an assistant, when in the past top Div I jobs were open to her. Why is she considering a top job now?
Seems to me Geno is saying I need fresh minds and fresh ideas on my bench." He may have decided to clean house with his assistants.

Or maybe he wants to get a male assistant who is better able then Chris, to take an elbow to the chin. THAT WAS DISGRACEFUL.

dtsnms

PostPosted: 03/27/07 1:38 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

frogdog wrote:
Over the years Chris hasn't tried to make a upward move in her chosen career. She has been content to be an assistant, when in the past top Div I jobs were open to her. Why is she considering a top job now?
Seems to me Geno is saying I need fresh minds and fresh ideas on my bench." He may have decided to clean house with his assistants.

Or maybe he wants to get a male assistant who is better able then Chris, to take an elbow to the chin. THAT WAS DISGRACEFUL.

Nope, no agenda in this post either, right?

CamrnCrz1974

PostPosted: 03/27/07 1:39 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

frogdog wrote:

Gale Valley has been an assistant at Duke longer than Coach G has been there.

Mickie DeMoss was an assistant at TN for 18 years.

Maybe she is considering a job now because SHE feels it is the right time for her to do so.

hoopfan24

PostPosted: 03/27/07 1:43 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

dtsnms wrote:
I quit, you win. He's an asshole for not tempering every quote he says by wondering how you'll think of it.

Now, about that Tara ad that you've chosen not to address? You know, the one where she says "learn from the best"? After all, if it applies to Geno....

it's okay to say you are the best, after all, Tara won 2 NCs before Geno won his first one, and they were hired the same yrs, she's also won a gold meal, something Geno failed to do with the jr nat'l team. She did not say they are the best and everyone knows it.

And yes PUMatty, I think if Geno thinks they are the best staff in the US, then they certainly have fallen short the last 3 yrs.

PUmatty

PostPosted: 03/27/07 1:44 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

hoopfan24 wrote:
dtsnms wrote:

it's okay to say you are the best, after all, Tara won 2 NCs before Geno won his first one, and they were hired the same yrs, she's also won a gold meal, something Geno failed to do with the jr nat'l team. She did not say they are the best and everyone knows it.

And yes PUMatty, I think if Geno thinks they are the best staff in the US, then they certainly have fallen short the last 3 yrs.

Then who does have the best staff? If it isn't UConn, who is it?

dtsnms

PostPosted: 03/27/07 1:48 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

hoopfan24 wrote:

So again we're back to playing semantics? You're all pissy over the fact he said "and everyone knows it"? That's what's got you so upset? Again, I repeat, do you realize how petty and foolish this sounds?

beknighted

PostPosted: 03/27/07 1:49 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Geno says a lot of annoying things, but I can't say that I found anything particularly obnoxious here. First, he's their boss, so of course he says he pays them (and he actually does pay them a significant portion of their compensation). He may not sign their checks, but I mean, really, why does anyone care?

Second, let the guy have a little hyperbole. Of course he thinks they're the best staff in the country; they've been with him for a long time and done better than anyone else since, oh, 2000. (Think how many technical fouls Dailey has prevented - that alone is worth whatever she's paid.)

I have no clue if they're going to go or not, but I have to say that this seems like a good year for a top assistant to move up. Forget the current openings, most of which would require serious rebuilding (LSU excepted, and assuming Starkey doesn't change his mind); there's a good likelihood that the coaches hired for at least a couple of those slots will come from established programs with a good baseline, and an assistant who moves up to coach Duke or Maryland would be in much better shape than the average assistant in her first head coaching job. If Dailey (or, for that matter, Carlene Mitchell at Rutgers) is as smart as I think she is, and actually is interested in being a head coach, this year may offer the best opportunities she's going to see for a long time.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    RebKell's Junkie Boards Forum Index » NCAA Women's Basketball - General Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 2 of 4

Jump to: