RebKell's Junkie Boards
Board Junkies Forums

Geno Prepares to lose assistants
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    RebKell's Junkie Boards Forum Index » NCAA Women's Basketball - General Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
dtsnms

PostPosted: 03/27/07 10:40 am    ::: Geno Prepares to lose assistants Reply Reply with quote

Quote:
Auriemma expects associate head coach Chris Dailey and assistants Tonya Cardoza and Jamelle Elliott to draw interest from around the country.
"We've talked a lot about that and I think there's a couple of guys on my staff that are probably going to be approached by some athletic directors when this tournament is over," Auriemma said. "If it happens, it happens. "eople keep asking me all the time 'How come your assistants never leave? Why do they stay?' Well, I pay them a lot of money. I let them do whatever they want, and judging by the e-mails I get they get all the credit. Why would you leave?
"It has to be the right situation at the right time. But there's not a job in the country that they couldn't do."
There are BCS openings at places such as Texas, Florida, and Louisville. There are also mid-major spots available like Fairfield.
Only time will tell."Obviously there's a reason we've been successful," Auriemma said. "I've got the best coaching staff in the country. Everybody in America knows that. We recruit well, we coach them well, our guys graduate, our program's been good for a long time. Would I hate to lose any of them? Yes. Who wouldn't? But at the same time when the time is right I'll be the first one to work as hard as I can if they tell me the time is right."

http://www.journalinquirer.com/site/news.cfm?newsid=18131381&BRD=985&PAG=461&dept_id=569454&rfi=6

pilight

PostPosted: 03/27/07 10:47 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

UConn has been down a little the last couple of years, a staff shakeup might not be a bad idea.

PostPosted: 03/27/07 11:05 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Quote:
"Would I hate to lose any of them? Yes. Who wouldn't? But at the same time when the time is right I'll be the first one to work as hard as I can if they tell me the time is right."

Gotta give him credit for that, but I'm not a UConn fan at all.

ILUVBIGTEN

PostPosted: 03/27/07 11:26 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

CB wrote:
Quote:
"Would I hate to lose any of them? Yes. Who wouldn't? But at the same time when the time is right I'll be the first one to work as hard as I can if they tell me the time is right."

What's he GOING to say so that he doesn't sound like an asshole? That quote doesn't suprise me.

BBallFanCT729

PostPosted: 03/27/07 11:37 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

ILUVBIGTEN wrote:
CB wrote:
Quote:

What's he GOING to say so that he doesn't sound like an asshole? That quote doesn't suprise me.

You know what...I know Geno has said some things & has done some things in the past that have been less than savory. However, he respects and appreciates the hell out of Chris, Jamelle, and Tonya so you can be assured that he genuinely means what he says.

I know Geno's not a perfect guy but he does have a redeeming quality or two, despite what some people may think.

Michael

PostPosted: 03/27/07 11:41 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

BBallFanCT729 wrote:
ILUVBIGTEN wrote:
CB wrote:
Quote:

You know what...I know Geno has said some things & has done some things in the past that have been less than savory. However, he respects and appreciates the hell out of Chris, Jamelle, and Tonya so you can be assured that he genuinely means what he says.

I know Geno's not a perfect guy but he does have a redeeming quality or two, despite what some people may think.

One thing that impressed me with Geno last night was at the end of the game. When LSU subbed out their starters with under a minute left, Geno turned to his bench and did the same. He could have kept his best players out there and trimmed 4-8 points off the margin of defeat, and I have seen some coaches do it (Frese at UMinn) but I thought that showed real class on Geno's part. He can be an arrogant jerk, but he does try to show good sportsmanship most of the time.

PostPosted: 03/27/07 11:44 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Geno's been in the position his assistants are in. He was an assistant under Debbie Ryan before taking the UConn job. He knows as well as anyone what's involved in making that move.

PostPosted: 03/27/07 11:48 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Michael wrote:

One thing that impressed me with Geno last night was at the end of the game. When LSU subbed out their starters with under a minute left, Geno turned to his bench and did the same. He could have kept his best players out there and trimmed 4-8 points off the margin of defeat, and I have seen some coaches do it (Frese at UMinn) but I thought that showed real class on Geno's part. He can be an arrogant jerk, but he does try to show good sportsmanship most of the time.

Good catch Michael! I saw that too, and I thought it was good to see. Out of curiosity, and I'm not giving them crap, what was up with LSU scrambling at the end of the game and running an offense with like 3 seconds to go? I thought the shot clock was off....

pilight

PostPosted: 03/27/07 11:52 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

dtsnms wrote:
Out of curiosity, and I'm not giving them crap, what was up with LSU scrambling at the end of the game and running an offense with like 3 seconds to go? I thought the shot clock was off....

There was about a half second difference between the shot clock and the game clock.

PostPosted: 03/27/07 11:53 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

ILUVBIGTEN wrote:
CB wrote:
Quote:

Don't read any articles about UCONN then. The guy is right in all he said. He can't say a fucking word without being attacked and it's getting annoying.

Michael

PostPosted: 03/27/07 11:54 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

dtsnms wrote:
Michael wrote:

Good catch Michael! I saw that too, and I thought it was good to see. Out of curiosity, and I'm not giving them crap, what was up with LSU scrambling at the end of the game and running an offense with like 3 seconds to go? I thought the shot clock was off....

I cannot fault the end of the bench for going hard in the only plying time they are likely to get from here on out in the NCAA tournament. If I were their coach, I would be more irritated if my end of the bench didn't play hard and attack then what they did. JMO.

PostPosted: 03/27/07 11:55 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

I think pilight must be right Michael. I don't mind if they play either, but where I was confused was they held the ball out, and then with like 3 seconds to go scrambled to get off a shot.

Michael

PostPosted: 03/27/07 11:56 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

dtsnms wrote:
I think pilight must be right Michael. I don't mind if they play either, but where I was confused was they held the ball out, and then with like 3 seconds to go scrambled to get off a shot.

okay, my bad.

PostPosted: 03/27/07 11:59 am    ::: Re: Geno Prepares to lose assistants Reply Reply with quote

" Why do they stay?' Well, I pay them a lot of money. I let them do whatever they want, and judging by the e-mails I get they get all the credit. Why would you leave?"

"Only time will tell."Obviously there's a reason we've been successful," Auriemma said. "I've got the best coaching staff in the country. Everybody in America knows that. We recruit well, we coach them well, our guys graduate, our program's been good for a long time. Would I hate to lose any of them? Yes. Who wouldn't? But at the same time when the time is right I'll be the first one to work as hard as I can if they tell me the time is right."[/quote]

a) he doesn't pay them, the univ does. He pays them a part of his shoe contract and for camps, but their major chunk of their salary and benefits (40% of salary) comes from the taxpayers of CT and parents who pay to send their kids to his camps

b) I'll go on out on the limb here and say other programs don't like him because of statements he made about them having the best staff, and that everybody knows it. That's quite the insult to staffs at other schools, many of whom recently beat UConn, out recruited them and have better graduation rates. what an ass.

ucbart

PostPosted: 03/27/07 12:00 pm    ::: Re: Geno Prepares to lose assistants Reply Reply with quote

hoopfan24 wrote:
" Why do they stay?' Well, I pay them a lot of money. I let them do whatever they want, and judging by the e-mails I get they get all the credit. Why would you leave?"

"Only time will tell."Obviously there's a reason we've been successful," Auriemma said. "I've got the best coaching staff in the country. Everybody in America knows that. We recruit well, we coach them well, our guys graduate, our program's been good for a long time. Would I hate to lose any of them? Yes. Who wouldn't? But at the same time when the time is right I'll be the first one to work as hard as I can if they tell me the time is right."

a) he doesn't pay them, the univ does. He pays them a part of his shoe contract and for camps, but their major chunk of their salary and benefits (40% of salary) comes from the taxpayers of CT and parents who pay to send their kids to his camps

b) I'll go on out on the limb here and say other programs don't like him because of statements he made about them having the best staff, and that everybody knows it. That's quite the insult to staffs at other schools, many of whom recently beat UConn, out recruited them and have better graduation rates. what an ass.[/quote]

Fuck off hoop

PurdueBBall3

PostPosted: 03/27/07 12:01 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

ucbart wrote:
ILUVBIGTEN wrote:
CB wrote:
Quote:

Don't read any articles about UCONN then. The guy is right in all he said. He can't say a fucking word without being attacked and it's getting annoying.

He gets it because he deserves it. Being a good coach doesn't entitle him to be an asshole. I don't think he realizes that. He's Bobby Knight Light.

PostPosted: 03/27/07 12:05 pm    ::: Re: Geno Prepares to lose assistants Reply Reply with quote

hoopfan24 wrote:

"Only time will tell."Obviously there's a reason we've been successful," Auriemma said. "I've got the best coaching staff in the country. Everybody in America knows that. We recruit well, we coach them well, our guys graduate, our program's been good for a long time. Would I hate to lose any of them? Yes. Who wouldn't? But at the same time when the time is right I'll be the first one to work as hard as I can if they tell me the time is right."

b) I'll go on out on the limb here and say other programs don't like him because of statements he made about them having the best staff, and that everybody knows it. That's quite the insult to staffs at other schools, many of whom recently beat UConn, out recruited them and have better graduation rates. what an ass.[/quote]

Amen to that Hoop

gpark33

PostPosted: 03/27/07 12:08 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

This thread started out with such potential to really compliment the strengths of what I am sure are some great coaches and what they could bring to the many big time openings. It took a steep turn down quickly.

dtsnms

PostPosted: 03/27/07 12:10 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Excuse me, he recommends the pay scale based on the PROFIT the program makes and gives to the school. So yes, he is directly involved in their pay. Try making money in a women's basketball program then talk to me.

Further, any head coach would call their staff the best in the country. You think Summitt would say anything different? Versyp? Starkey???

You guys look for anything to bash the man for. Bart's right. I echo his sentiments.

Some people have shown a lot of class with the UConn loss, much as we tried to do with NC State, OU, Duke, and other programs with a lot of fans on the board here. Others have just acted like fools.

You are right gspark. My intention was to show the nice comments about his assistants and like pilight pointed out, show that Geno knows what it's like in their shoes. Plus others in the "openings" threads have mentioned the UConn coaches. But no.... some foolish statements have to be made with personal bias.

ILUVBIGTEN

PostPosted: 03/27/07 12:13 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

ucbart wrote:
ILUVBIGTEN wrote:
CB wrote:
Quote:

It's obvious you're still smarting from last night and that's understandable. Like you, I can post any opinion I wish. Perhaps don't read my posts?

dtsnms

PostPosted: 03/27/07 12:15 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

ILUVBIGTEN wrote:

It's obvious you're still smarting from last night and that's understandable. Like you, I can post any opinion I wish. Perhaps don't read my posts?

Then don't post them in the UConn threads, 'kay? If you want to blast the guy, do it in the game thread or something. There was no reason for your comment here.

BBallFanCT729

PostPosted: 03/27/07 12:26 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

UConn is the most profitable women's basketball program in the country...bar none. Hence, the entire staff is paid well.

UConn has had the same coaching staff for 4 of its' 5 NCs. The only other coaching staff that can match that is Tennessee, and parts are missing from the staff that won three straight 96-98. No, UConn hasn't been to the Final Four since 2004, but it still has 1 Sweet 16 and 2 Elite Eights to its' name, which is pretty good for a 'slump.'

Geno happens to feel that he has the best coaching staff in the country. That's his opinion. It's not him slighting other coaching staffs. I'm sure that other coaches would say the same thing. Of course, every damn thing Geno has ever said has been scrutinized, so I'm not surprised that someone would find fault with a complimentary comment he made about the staff he has worked with as a unit for 10 years, and slightly longer with Tonya (13) and Chris (22).

Like gpark33 said, this thread displayed great promise about 3 assistants who have wonderful resumes and will get looks at D1 schools. Of course, some choose to be negative, which isn't unusual, especially considering the hate that Geno/UConn gets on this board by some individuals.

BBallFanCT729

PostPosted: 03/27/07 12:31 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

So, now that I've ranted, what are some possibilties for Chris, Tonya, and Jamelle?

ThreeBall25

PostPosted: 03/27/07 12:39 pm    ::: Re: Geno Prepares to lose assistants Reply Reply with quote

Quote:

b) I'll go on out on the limb here and say other programs don't like him because of statements he made about them having the best staff, and that everybody knows it. That's quite the insult to staffs at other schools, many of whom recently beat UConn, out recruited them and have better graduation rates. what an ass.

HEY MORON, care to tell me who has better than a 100% graduation rate? Because I'm pretty sure it doesn't get any better than that. If you are gonna call him out, that's find, but have a clue before you do it.

Anyways, I would love, love, love for Shea to leave Pitt and join the UConn staff.

hoopfan24

PostPosted: 03/27/07 12:43 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

BBallFanCT729 wrote:
UConn is the most profitable women's basketball program in the country...bar none. Hence, the entire staff is paid well.

UConn has had the same coaching staff for 4 of its' 5 NCs. The only other coaching staff that can match that is Tennessee, and parts are missing from the staff that won three straight 96-98. No, UConn hasn't been to the Final Four since 2004, but it still has 1 Sweet 16 and 2 Elite Eights to its' name, which is pretty good for a 'slump.'

Geno happens to feel that he has the best coaching staff in the country. That's his opinion. It's not him slighting other coaching staffs. I'm sure that other coaches would say the same thing. Of course, every damn thing Geno has ever said has been scrutinized, so I'm not surprised that someone would find fault with a complimentary comment he made about the staff he has worked with as a unit for 10 years, and slightly longer with Tonya (13) and Chris (22).

Like gpark33 said, this thread displayed great promise about 3 assistants who have wonderful resumes and will get looks at D1 schools. Of course, some choose to be negative, which isn't unusual, especially considering the hate that Geno/UConn gets on this board by some individuals.

No, he said he has the best staff in the country and everybody knows it. Who the hell is everybody? He says they are best because they recruit well, win and graduate their players. Hello Geno, that's the case at many at schools too - and better academic schools than UConn.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    RebKell's Junkie Boards Forum Index » NCAA Women's Basketball - General Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 1 of 4

Jump to: