RebKell's Junkie Boards
Board Junkies Forums

The more things change...
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    RebKell's Junkie Boards Forum Index » NCAA Women's Basketball - General Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
pilight

PostPosted: 03/26/07 8:44 am    ::: The more things change... Reply Reply with quote

How sad will it be if all these wonderful upsets leave us with Tennessee vs UConn in the finals, causing the mainstream sports media to declare a complete lack of parity in WCBB...

PostPosted: 03/26/07 9:26 am    ::: Re: The more things change... Reply Reply with quote

pilight wrote:
How sad will it be if all these wonderful upsets leave us with Tennessee vs UConn in the finals, causing the mainstream sports media to declare a complete lack of parity in WCBB...

I was thinking the exact same thing last night, Pilight.

It hasn't been the usual predictable playoffs and many teams are surprising people with how well they did this year.

But sadly, it might just be remembered as another UConn/Tennessee final -

*yawn*

I love the Lady Vols, but I'm pulling for Purdue and ASU - I want something different this year.

thatGAgirl

PostPosted: 03/26/07 9:43 am    ::: Re: The more things change... Reply Reply with quote

Slovydal wrote:
I love the Lady Vols, but I'm pulling for Purdue and ASU - I want something different this year.

I'm with ya on that. Well....except for the 'love the Lady Vols' part. Wink

I was just thinking about another UConn/Tenn matchup yesterday and how even though the tourney has been fun, it's more than possible that it'll be the same old, same old. Crying or Very sad

I would love to see something different this year as well, yes, even at the expense of my depleted bracket.

Ole Miss and Purdue for the title!

Laughing

- Diana Taurasi

Last edited by thatGAgirl on 03/26/07 9:49 am; edited 3 times in total
sbjules

PostPosted: 03/26/07 9:45 am    ::: Re: The more things change... Reply Reply with quote

pilight wrote:

They may not notice because they are already moaning about the men's side (two 1s, two 2s).

peaceplease

PostPosted: 03/26/07 9:46 am    ::: Re: The more things change... Reply Reply with quote

Slovydal wrote:

I was thinking the exact same thing last night, Pilight.

It hasn't been the usual predictable playoffs and many teams are surprising people with how well they did this year.

But sadly, it might just be remembered as another UConn/Tennessee final -

*yawn*

ok. you have to change your screen name now.
traitor.

Shocked

PEACE
Slovydal

PostPosted: 03/26/07 10:57 am    ::: Re: The more things change... Reply Reply with quote

c_eggleston wrote:

ok. you have to change your screen name now.
traitor.

Shocked

Ha!

With the exception of the Fever (since mid-2003) I'm not known for being a "loyal" fan. Heck, I've switched teams at halftime...

I just like basketball.

I also want Candace to play at UT for two more years.

bullsky

PostPosted: 03/26/07 12:57 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

I still see UNC in the final. It might be UNC/UCONN.

PostPosted: 03/26/07 2:45 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

I don't think it will be a bad thing..

People know Uconn vs. Tenn. Ratings are always higher for that game. I don't think there is a huge stigma for it being just Tenn vs. Uconn..yeah, I've heard the general sports fans say that it's ugly basketball except Uconn vs. Tenn..well, IMO, Rutgers vs. UNC WOuld be really ugly basketball.

A great game, by known players, and a known rivalry= good for WCBB. A defensive struggle (considered ugly by general sports fans..) unknown teams, no star power= the general sports fans not giving two shits, and not watching..

Personally, there is a part of me that wants it to happen. Because I think it would be hilarious..and perhaps stop the Parity hype...because when it's all said and done, yes other teams are catching up...but no team that isn't elite was going to win the championship..Come on, Marist wasn't gonna get there...FSU nope...I mean, these teams can't have everything falling into place six games in a row. If things had worked the same way for Marist as it had the past two..they would have beaten Tenn. But you don't make all your threes ever game, you don't do everything that enabled you to win, and get lucky six games in a row..at least not yet in Women's basketball. When it's all said and done there are lots of good teams, and it is more spread than just Uconn and Tennessee, but one of the elite teams will win a championship.

PostPosted: 03/26/07 3:00 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

mercfan3 wrote:
I don't think it will be a bad thing..

People know Uconn vs. Tenn. Ratings are always higher for that game. I don't think there is a huge stigma for it being just Tenn vs. Uconn..yeah, I've heard the general sports fans say that it's ugly basketball except Uconn vs. Tenn..well, IMO, Rutgers vs. UNC WOuld be really ugly basketball.

A great game, by known players, and a known rivalry= good for WCBB. A defensive struggle (considered ugly by general sports fans..) unknown teams, no star power= the general sports fans not giving two shits, and not watching..

Personally, there is a part of me that wants it to happen. Because I think it would be hilarious..and perhaps stop the Parity hype...because when it's all said and done, yes other teams are catching up...but no team that isn't elite was going to win the championship..Come on, Marist wasn't gonna get there...FSU nope...I mean, these teams can't have everything falling into place six games in a row. If things had worked the same way for Marist as it had the past two..they would have beaten Tenn. But you don't make all your threes ever game, you don't do everything that enabled you to win, and get lucky six games in a row..at least not yet in Women's basketball. When it's all said and done there are lots of good teams, and it is more spread than just Uconn and Tennessee, but one of the elite teams will win a championship.

That is a falicy that the big twos fans perpetuate, actually the ratings are higher when it is someone other then UConn vs UTenn. Purdue Duke is still in the top 3 highest ranked title games, topped by the last two years I think.

PostPosted: 03/26/07 4:20 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

thats a lie. its proven published etc that DT3 junior and senior year are the hghest rated. getthatout

mercfan3

PostPosted: 03/26/07 6:53 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

shmace83002 wrote:
thats a lie. its proven published etc that DT3 junior and senior year are the hghest rated. getthatout

Well, then it's not necessarily a lie..the person said third...he/she didn't disprove my point, but he/she did say third...

WCBB needs Parker in the finals if they want high ratings..that IS a fact.

PostPosted: 03/26/07 6:58 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

I have no idea how Purdue/Duke could be higher than Uconn/Tennessee it seems impossible. Post a link Very Happy

PostPosted: 03/26/07 7:31 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

mercfan3 wrote:

that is actually an opinion, or, at best, a prediction.

mercfan3

PostPosted: 03/26/07 8:09 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

PUmatty wrote:
mercfan3 wrote:

that is actually an opinion, or, at best, a prediction.

Do you think any other player would draw more fans to the game? Sure, it's not a fact yet..but it's a pretty good prediction.. Very Happy

PostPosted: 03/26/07 9:58 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

mercfan3 wrote:
shmace83002 wrote:

Well, then it's not necessarily a lie..the person said third...he/she didn't disprove my point, but he/she did say third...

From the NCAA Women's Final Four Record Book:

Tournament Television Ratings History
ESPN Highest -Rated Games

Date Games Round Rating/Share Homes
1. 4/06/2004 Connecticut vs. Tennessee CH 4.3 (4.28 )/7 3,801,000
1. 3/28/1999 Duke vs. Purdue CH 4.3 (4.27)/7 3,238,000
3. 3/31/2002 Connecticut vs. Oklahoma CH 4.1/7 3,487,000
4. 3/30/1997 Old Dominion vs. Tennessee CH 4.0/6 2,879,000
5. 3/29/1998 Louisiana Tech vs. Tennessee CH 3.7/6 2,717,000
5. 3/31/1996 Tennessee vs. Georgia CH 3.7/6 2,497,000
7. 4/04/2004 Minnesota vs. Connecticut NSF 3.5/5 3,083,000
7. 4/08/2003 Tennessee vs. Connecticut CH 3.5/5 3,013,000
7. 4/02/2000 Tennessee vs. Connecticut CH 3.5/5 2,676,000
10. 4/01/2001 Purdue vs. Notre Dame CH 3.3/5 2,724,000

shmace83002

PostPosted: 03/26/07 10:06 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

exactly, so i was right and they were wrong i dont get it

PalaceAthena

PostPosted: 03/26/07 10:11 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

shmace83002 wrote:

No. DT's junior year was 2003. That game was tied for seventh best. Her senior year, 2004, was tied for No. 1. This is based on ratings, which is how Nielsen's rating system and TV networks, rank them.

Last edited by PalaceAthena on 03/26/07 10:12 pm; edited 1 time in total
accommodatingly

PostPosted: 03/26/07 10:12 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Slovy, when and under what circumstances have you switched teams at halftime? I want to know.

The numbers above show both that a game without UConn or Tennessee CAN draw decent ratings, and that games involving one or the other do well. I remember reading that Baylor-Michigan State had one of the lowest if not the lowest ratings of any Final Four since the game's public profile rose in '95. It's not surprising: Baylor doesn't have all that many alums, neither school has a national fan base (for any sport), and neither lies in a major media market (though there are some people in Detroit).

With tonight's results, the best-case final in terms of TV ratings would probably be Rutgers-Tennessee (major media market team vs. team with national following); the worst, UNC-LSU (smaller media markets, no Cinderella, neither team with a big national following, and the only easily-summarized off-court story not one the NCAA wants pursued).

ILUVBIGTEN

shmace83002 wrote:

Um, wrong.

jimmyk

Anyone who after tonight wants to see Tennessee/LSU raise your hands.

bballfan2005

PostPosted: 03/26/07 10:13 pm    ::: Re: The more things change... Reply Reply with quote

pilight wrote:

Guess we'll never know. Wink

Mathies to LA 2013
Michael

PostPosted: 03/26/07 10:14 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

shmace83002 wrote:

The 2003 game was tied for 7th in the rankings, and the other was tied with Purdue Duke for first. You will note that the rest of the top five are not UConn vs UTenn. That matchup is stale, and when it happens, WBB fans all over the country find something else to do. Thankfully UConn decided that they wanted to spare us and failed to show up for the game.

Last edited by Michael on 03/26/07 10:25 pm; edited 1 time in total
ILUVBIGTEN

PostPosted: 03/26/07 10:15 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

jimmyk wrote:

*crickets...chirp..chirp...*

jimmyk

PostPosted: 03/26/07 10:18 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

ILUVBIGTEN wrote:
jimmyk wrote:

I'll be quite happy if you guys beat UNC. I detest North Carolina more than any team I've hated since Steve Spurrier left Florida.

So...Go Boilers!

This message good for Regional Final use only.

Last edited by jimmyk on 03/26/07 10:19 pm; edited 1 time in total
ILUVBIGTEN

PostPosted: 03/26/07 10:19 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

jimmyk wrote:
ILUVBIGTEN wrote:
jimmyk wrote:

I'll be quite happy if you guys beat UNC. I detest North Carolina more than any team I've hated since Steve Spurrier left Florida.

So...Go Boilers!

That a way, jimmyk!!

Post new topic   Reply to topic    RebKell's Junkie Boards Forum Index » NCAA Women's Basketball - General Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: