RebKell's Junkie Boards
Board Junkies Forums

Bears repeating

Post new topic   Reply to topic    RebKell's Junkie Boards Forum Index » NCAA Women's Basketball - General Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
beknighted

PostPosted: 03/25/07 12:02 am    ::: Bears repeating Reply Reply with quote

I saw this on the reports of the Duke-RU game and luckily it's one of the quotations in the NCAA "Notes and Quotes."

Coach G on the responsibility for the loss:

<i>I told them after the game, “You know, after any of our wins, you’ve never taken responsibility for them. You never said ‘I won this game for my team.’ And I will not allow you to say ‘I lost this game for my team.’” It was truly a team effort the entire season, the wins and the losses.</i>

accommodatingly

PostPosted: 03/25/07 12:08 am    ::: Re: Bears repeating Reply Reply with quote

beknighted wrote:
I saw this on the reports of the Duke-RU game and luckily it's one of the quotations in the NCAA "Notes and Quotes."

<i>I told them after the game, “You know, after any of our wins, you’ve never taken responsibility for them. You never said ‘I won this game for my team.’ And I will not allow you to say ‘I lost this game for my team.’” It was truly a team effort the entire season, the wins and the losses.</i>

That's right, and I'm glad to see a Rutgers fan repeating it. I'm glad Harding will get another chance, or chances, in the W.

dtsnms

PostPosted: 03/25/07 9:16 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

now if someone will share this with the ESPN studio commentators. Rolling Eyes

sbjules

PostPosted: 03/25/07 9:47 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Quote:

I told them after the game, “You know, after any of our wins, you’ve never taken responsibility for them. You never said ‘I won this game for my team.’ And I will not allow you to say ‘I lost this game for my team.’” It was truly a team effort the entire season, the wins and the losses.

Great, great memorable quote.

So will she coaching Duke next year?

bballjunkee212

PostPosted: 03/25/07 10:55 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Wasn't Duke ahead by about 10 with about nine minutes left? If so, whom do we blame? Harding? Or do we not say that Duke "blew" a 10-point lead, and give RU some credit for coming back against a great team?

PostPosted: 03/25/07 11:26 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

sbjules wrote:
Quote:

I told them after the game, “You know, after any of our wins, you’ve never taken responsibility for them. You never said ‘I won this game for my team.’ And I will not allow you to say ‘I lost this game for my team.’” It was truly a team effort the entire season, the wins and the losses.

Great, great memorable quote.

So will she coaching Duke next year?

I think Gail is gone.

njjosh

PostPosted: 03/25/07 11:48 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

bballjunkee212 wrote:
Wasn't Duke ahead by about 10 with about nine minutes left? If so, whom do we blame? Harding? Or do we not say that Duke "blew" a 10-point lead, and give RU some credit for coming back against a great team?

It wasn't so much that Duke blew a 10-point lead as that they should have been up by more than 10. They had held Rutgers to only 18 points at that point in the game. If a team with Duke's offensive talent allows only 18 points in 22 minutes or so of game action, it should be up by far more than 10 points, even against a very good defensive team like Rutgers.

It was the same thing in the championship game last year - Duke not having the killer instinct and not putting away a team early when it had the chance to do so. Rutgers should have been buried by early in the second half, just as Maryland should have been buried at halftime of the championship game. Instead, Duke let their opponents stay in the game, and said opponents took advantage of the new life. Throw in a timely break (Tolliver's trey last year, Harding bricking the two free throws this year), and the upset happens.

beknighted

PostPosted: 03/25/07 5:10 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

bballjunkee212 wrote:

njjosh's feelings about Duke notwithstanding, this is the pattern of games RU wins against the better teams. (The pattern against teams that aren't so good is similar, but it feels different because it usually starts with RU ahead, and often happens in the first half.) For instance, in last year's game against UConn at the RAC, the Huskies didn't have a field goal for something like the last 12 minutes of the game. I've always thought that what happens is that the RU defensive pressure eventually gets to opponents, on both a physical and mental level, and they start doing things like rushing shots, throwing the ball away and short-arming passes and shots alike. People - including coaches - then say that the other team choked or stopped playing its game. That's true in a certain way, but often observers don't notice the cause because they don't see RU games often enough to see the pattern.

As an aside, that's one reason why conditioning matters so much to RU. They have to be in better shape than the opposition or this doesn't work.

djshorty

PostPosted: 03/25/07 5:16 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

ILUVBIGTEN wrote:
I think Gail is gone.

Hopefully, we will hear something in the coming weeks. There are a lot of openings available.

"Live your dreams"
Post new topic   Reply to topic    RebKell's Junkie Boards Forum Index » NCAA Women's Basketball - General Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: