RebKell's Junkie Boards
Board Junkies Forums

Penn State opening
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    RebKell's Junkie Boards Forum Index » NCAA Women's Basketball - General Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
pilight

PostPosted: 03/23/07 7:12 pm    ::: Penn State opening Reply Reply with quote

Seems to me that the logical choice for Penn State would be someone who's a Pennsylvania native but not a product of Portland's program. Better to make a clean break there. Someone with a keen basketball mind, a proven track record of success, and a name that's well known in WBB circles.

Who does that describe? Dawn Staley, of course. If I were the Penn State AD, she'd be at the top of my short list.

PostPosted: 03/23/07 8:13 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

it's totally out of line for you to use the power of the pen to interfere with someone's job prospects that way.

sbjules

PostPosted: 03/23/07 8:45 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Quote:
it's totally out of line for you to use the power of the pen to interfere with someone's job prospects that way.

Laughing Laughing Laughing

pilight

PostPosted: 03/23/07 8:52 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

womens_hoops wrote:

No pen was used. I chiseled my post in stone, scanned it with a Hewlett Packard Scanjet 4370, converted it to a text file using GOCR, then cut and pasted it here.

PostPosted: 03/23/07 9:04 pm    ::: Re: Penn State opening Reply Reply with quote

I think Dawn's future job will be much better than PSU.

I see Dawn at Fla.

OR

Who knows, Deb Ryan, may also decide to hang it up!

pilight

PostPosted: 03/23/07 9:08 pm    ::: Re: Penn State opening Reply Reply with quote

sparkfan33 wrote:

I see Dawn at Fla.

I think Penn State is a great job. Better than Florida.

PostPosted: 03/23/07 9:16 pm    ::: Re: Penn State opening Reply Reply with quote

pilight wrote:
sparkfan33 wrote:

I see Dawn at Fla.

I think Penn State is a great job. Better than Florida.

SMS has her name written all over for the Penn State Job.

sparkfan33

PostPosted: 03/23/07 9:35 pm    ::: Re: Penn State opening Reply Reply with quote

Disagree. Fla is much better. I think Dawn can turn the program around and be very, very competitive in the SEC. Her name alone recruits players. Now, add the facilities and other intangibles, and great players will be jumping to travel to sunny Florida.

fancy_daniel

PostPosted: 03/23/07 10:21 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

womens_hoops wrote:

Pilight can say whatever he wants. It's not like these people aren't thinking what he's saying already.

Kelli

PostPosted: 03/23/07 10:28 pm    ::: Re: Penn State opening Reply Reply with quote

gopherfan wrote:

That's what I was thinking until aI read this.

http://www.ndnation.com/boards/showpost.php?b=mcgraw;pid=2384;d=this

PostPosted: 03/23/07 10:50 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Suzie is reported to be considering the Penn State job and the Duquesne job.

Duquesne reportedly has offered Suzie a ton of cash.

Either way, Suzie is going to bring the Western PA talent that coaches like Geno and Rene have been siphoning. You don't play basketball in this area without knowing about the McConnell family. This ground has been especially fertile for Penn State. With Pitt's (Berenato's) program on the rise, Penn State is going to have another neighborhood kid fighting for that talent.

As Mario is to hockey in this town, Suzie is to hoops. She could rebuild Duquesne. She could keep the recruiting doors and donor wallets open for Penn State. If Suzie stays in town, maybe Pete interviews for the just opened Oakland Catholic job.

It's anyone's guess. Mine is that Suzie McConnell Serio is going to end up at Penn State, but I wouldn't mind seeing what she could do at Duquesne where the expectations might be smaller but the challenge is larger.

bullsky

PostPosted: 03/23/07 11:06 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

The PSU job seems ideal for Suzie.

PostPosted: 03/24/07 6:24 am    ::: Re: Penn State opening Reply Reply with quote

gopherfan wrote:

They're not going to take SMS over Staley.

PostPosted: 03/24/07 8:31 am    ::: Staley Reply Reply with quote

It doesn't sound like Staley is interested in leaving any time soon:

http://www.phila-tribune.com/channel/sports/032307/murray032307.asp

Staley is in the process of renegotiating her contract with Temple. To me, there’s no question, no argument as to whether they should give her what she wants. Philadelphia is her home and she wants to stay at Temple and take the program.

“We’re in the process. I’m quite sure Temple doesn’t want to lose me and they’ll do everything they can,” Staley. “This is where I want to be. This is home for me. You have to put yourself in a situation where you’re taken care of as an overall program. I want to make sure my staff is taken care of, the program is taken care of.

“In order to compete and win these games (against nationally-ranked teams), you’ve got to the things that they’re doing budget and facility wise. You’ve got to compete. … You’ve got to spend money to make some money. I think the product we’re putting out on the floor will be well worth it. ”

pilight

PostPosted: 03/24/07 8:32 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

I don't see Temple being willing or able to spend the $$ it will take to compete with BCS schools.

PostPosted: 03/24/07 8:52 am    ::: Re: Penn State opening Reply Reply with quote

pilight wrote:
gopherfan wrote:

I disagree, pilight.

Serio is a perfect fit for Penn State and she'll both outrecruit and bring in more donor dollars than Staley. Serio would be welcomed by nearly everyone at PSU. She'd be a unifying force whereas Staley would be regarded, at least at the outset, by Portland's backers as an 'outsider'.

Don't underestimate the Portland backers, young or old. Last I checked, it was still an honor to be the student chosen to dress up like mini-Rene.

Penn State has far more of of Pittsburgh's mid-USA flavor to it than it has Philadelphia's East Coast mentality. It may be a huge state-related university, but it's still small town USA.

I wouldn't be surprised if the Penn State job opened up at this time (instead of next year, for example) because of the likelihood that Serio would otherwise in the near future be in the employ of some other university.

gopherfan

PostPosted: 03/24/07 9:03 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Quote:
If Suzie stays in town, maybe Pete interviews for the just opened Oakland Catholic job.

Maybe they'll become a duo again and take on Penn State.

Michael

PostPosted: 03/24/07 9:21 am    ::: Re: Penn State opening Reply Reply with quote

bluewolfvii wrote:
pilight wrote:
gopherfan wrote:

I disagree, pilight.

Serio is a perfect fit for Penn State and she'll both outrecruit and bring in more donor dollars than Staley. Serio would be welcomed by nearly everyone at PSU. She'd be a unifying force whereas Staley would be regarded, at least at the outset, by Portland's backers as an 'outsider'.

Don't underestimate the Portland backers, young or old. Last I checked, it was still an honor to be the student chosen to dress up like mini-Rene.

Penn State has far more of of Pittsburgh's mid-USA flavor to it than it has Philadelphia's East Coast mentality. It may be a huge state-related university, but it's still small town USA.

I wouldn't be surprised if the Penn State job opened up at this time (instead of next year, for example) because of the likelihood that Serio would otherwise in the near future be in the employ of some other university.

Problem with Serio is she acknowledged Rene's bigotry and supported her 100% unconditionally anyway. You might have gotten rid of the originator of the policy of no gays, but do you want to put a product of that system and an open supporter of it back into power? Also it ignores a basic rule an AD should always follow, don't hire someone so popular you cannot fire them. Do you really think Curley wants to have an untouchable women's coach again so soon?

PostPosted: 03/24/07 9:32 am    ::: Re: Penn State opening Reply Reply with quote

Michael wrote:
bluewolfvii wrote:
pilight wrote:
gopherfan wrote:

I disagree, pilight.

Problem with Serio is she acknowledged Rene's bigotry and supported her 100% unconditionally anyway. You might have gotten rid of the originator of the policy of no gays, but do you want to put a product of that system and an open supporter of it back into power? Also it ignores a basic rule an AD should always follow, don't hire someone so popular you cannot fire them. Do you really think Curley wants to have an untouchable women's coach again so soon?

I don't think Serio is a bigot. She may be a Rene supporter but I don't think she is a supporter of Rene's system. I think she has worked with and coached many lesbian athletes, as womenshoops said, and has treated all of her teammates and players with fairness.

You have a point about untouchable women's coaches, Michael, but Penn State's women's basketball program is losing money and things aren't going to get better if the big money donors aren't happy with the new coach. They know that Spanier forced Rene out and are already close to mutiny..

They'd come over to a coach like Dawn eventually, but they'd throw their support behind Suzie now. As womenshoops and others have said, it would be a healing move.. also a smart one from a business perspective.

Just my two cents.

bluewolfvii

PostPosted: 03/24/07 9:39 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

gopherfan wrote:
Quote:
If Suzie stays in town, maybe Pete interviews for the just opened Oakland Catholic job.

Maybe they'll become a duo again and take on Penn State.

Pete coached at Mt. Lebanon when Suzie coached at Oakland Catholic.. if interested, he would have to be regarded as a candidate for the Oakland Catholic job.

Pete at Oakland Catholic and Suzie a short trip down the Boulevard at the Duquesne campus, it could work. She'd have a built in car pooling system to Quad A playoff games to recruit. Very Happy

Michael

PostPosted: 03/24/07 9:51 am    ::: Re: Penn State opening Reply Reply with quote

bluewolfvii wrote:
Michael wrote:
bluewolfvii wrote:
pilight wrote:
gopherfan wrote:

I disagree, pilight.

I don't think Serio is a bigot. She may be a Rene supporter but I don't think she is a supporter of Rene's system. I think she has worked with and coached many lesbian athletes, as womenshoops said, and has treated all of her teammates and players with fairness.

You have a point about untouchable women's coaches, Michael, but Penn State's women's basketball program is losing money and things aren't going to get better if the big money donors aren't happy with the new coach. They know that Spanier forced Rene out and are already close to mutiny..

They'd come over to a coach like Dawn eventually, but they'd throw their support behind Suzie now. As womenshoops and others have said, it would be a healing move.. also a smart one from a business perspective.

Just my two cents.

All women's programs lose money, so that is a non issue. I am not saying Serio Is or IS NOT a bigot, I am just saying the way she has stood by Rene the past two years while confirming the no gays policy would make me very wary of hiring her. No one knows at all how she would act as a college coach, because she has never been one at any level. At a catholic HS she didn't have to deal with any gay issues, and as a pro, her teams got worse the longer she coached there, so there may have been some issues in the locker room, we don't know. I am just saying that she starts with the Portland cloud hanging over her and with nearly as much clout as Rene had. Do you really want it to take another 16 years to get her out if she does end up supporting the no gays policy? Too risky IMO, same as hiring Chatman, too many risks versus the potential rewards.

PostPosted: 03/24/07 9:57 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Just want to quickly chime in that CU assistant Tom McConnell ought to be on PSU's short list. Fortunately, I'm all but certain - not to mention pleased - that he'll be here as long as KMM is at the helm.

But I've no doubt he would make an excellent head coach.

bluewolfvii

PostPosted: 03/24/07 10:11 am    ::: Re: Penn State opening Reply Reply with quote

Michael wrote:
All women's programs lose money, so that is a non issue. I am not saying Serio Is or IS NOT a bigot, I am just saying the way she has stood by Rene the past two years while confirming the no gays policy would make me very wary of hiring her.

Penn State both spends and loses a lot of money on women's bball relative to the amount of money it spends on its men's bball program. Penn State is football first, women's basketball second. Because Rene's backers have deep pockets and political clout, I don't think money is a non issue. I think it is THE issue.

But I can understand, based on Suzie's public comments, why people would be wary and would rather have a clean break.

Maybe it's just a Western PA thing, but I'd hire her in a heartbeat.

pilight

PostPosted: 03/24/07 10:23 am    ::: Re: Penn State opening Reply Reply with quote

bluewolfvii wrote:

That's why I said they needed a big name. Staley is as big a name as there is in Pennsylvania hoops. I think the administration is wanting to make a clean break from Portland, Staley is one of the few people available with enough clout to make it work.

Quote:
Penn State both spends and loses a lot of money on women's bball relative to the amount of money it spends on its men's bball program. Penn State is football first, women's basketball second.

That's what makes it a better job than Florida. In Gainesville the WBB coach will never get the recognition on campus that she would in Happy Valley.

Penn State also has a history of standing behind the WBB coach in times of adversity. That puts the job ahead of LSU, where even a slight hint of scandal can push a coach out the door.

Texas is the only job available that's on PSU's level.

PostPosted: 03/24/07 10:24 am    ::: Re: Penn State opening Reply Reply with quote

bluewolfvii wrote:
Michael wrote:
All women's programs lose money, so that is a non issue. I am not saying Serio Is or IS NOT a bigot, I am just saying the way she has stood by Rene the past two years while confirming the no gays policy would make me very wary of hiring her.

Penn State both spends and loses a lot of money on women's bball relative to the amount of money it spends on its men's bball program. Penn State is football first, women's basketball second. Because Rene's backers have deep pockets and political clout, I don't think money is a non issue. I think it is THE issue.

But I can understand, based on Suzie's public comments, why people would be wary and would rather have a clean break.

Maybe it's just a Western PA thing, but I'd hire her in a heartbeat.

Go to the Pennlive forums, they have a breakdown of money spent. PSU men's may be lower profile, but they have a bigger budget and make more money. That doesn't count money from contributions, but many of those were the same homophobes that thought Rene was right and the reason they want Serio is they HOPE she will continue in her mentors path.

Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: