RebKell's Junkie Boards
Board Junkies Forums

Sweet 16 picks
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    RebKell's Junkie Boards Forum Index » NCAA Women's Basketball - General Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
pilight

PostPosted: 03/23/07 7:06 pm    ::: Sweet 16 picks Reply Reply with quote

Arizona State vs Bowling Green

Both teams have gotten here with two close wins. The Sun Devils have fallen far behind twice then come back to win, while the Falcons have taken a pair of back-and-forth contests. If AzSt gets 18 down this time, they're done. If it's tight throughout, BG might be in trouble. One thing I know for sure, you can't go too far wrong picking P10 teams to lose this time of year. I'm taking Bowling Green.

Duke vs Rutgers

The Scarlets are not the same team that got blown out of the RAC by the Debs earlier this year. Rutgers has actually won by larger margins than Duke in both rounds so far. That having been said, I don't see Duke losing in Carolina and I really don't see it being very close.

LSU vs Florida State

The Noles have nobody that can match up with Fowles. FSU's minor miracle ends here.

UConn vs NC State

Talent-wise it's no contest. Coaching-wise it's a huge mismatch. The only question is whether the emotion of Kay Yow's illness can carry the Pack another round. That worked in Raleigh, but it's not going to play 3000 miles away in Fresno. I predict a blowout.

Oklahoma vs Mississippi

Let me tell you something about Carol Ross. She's the ultimate tournament tease. Any time you think her team has got it all together, it's time for a spectacular meltdown. Lots of people seem to be liking Ole Miss here. I'm not buying, Paris will get consecutive double-double #61 and Oklahoma will move on.

Tennessee vs Marist

In 1994, #13 seed Texas A&M got a huge upset over #4 seed Florida then beat high scoring mid-major #5 seed San Diego State. They lost to #1 seed Purdue in the S16 by 26 in a game not as close as the score makes it sound.

In 2005, #13 seed Liberty got a huge upset over #4 seed Penn State then beat high scoring mid-major #5 seed DePaul. They lost to #1 seed LSU in the S16 by 42 in a game not as close as the score makes it sound.

This year, #13 Marist got a huge upset over #4 seed Ohio State then beat high scoring mid-major #5 seed Middle Tennessee State. I think everyone sees where this is going...

Purdue vs Georgia

This has the makings of an entertaining game. Tasha Humphrey is hard to stop, but the Boilers play outstanding post D. Katie Gearlds can score in bunches, but sometimes vanishes in big games. Purdue's ball handling is shaky, Georgia's offensive options outside of Humphrey are inconsistent at best. I'm gonna pick Georgia, but without much enthusiasm. They're better at PG and C, and that's usually enough.

North Carolina vs George Washington

Sorry, G-Dub, the Heels are on a mission, and it ain't a Sweet 16 mission.

PostPosted: 03/23/07 7:19 pm    ::: Re: Sweet 16 picks Reply Reply with quote

pilight wrote:
while the Falcons have taken a pair of back-and-forth contests.

Didn't BGSU lead throughout against Vandy?

PostPosted: 03/23/07 9:24 pm    ::: Re: Sweet 16 picks Reply Reply with quote

Arizona State vs Bowling Green:
I like Bowling Green for the same reasons. However, ASU is a much better team that their performance indicates. However, don't count out the Black Belt, January. She looked pretty good the last game.

Duke vs Rutgers:
It will be a closer game than before, but I love my DUKE in a 10+ pt win.

LSU vs Florida State:
Disagree. The Noles seemed to handle the twin towers; although LSU is much more athelitic than Stanford. This one could go either way. I love LSU, but I am picking FSU.

UConn vs NC State:
Yes, UConn has the better team, but I am going with emotion! I pick the Wolfpack in a close one.

Oklahoma vs Mississippi:
Speed kills! I am going with Ole Miss. OK just doesn't have the athletes to keep up with Ole Miss. Besides, I want to keep watching Arminty!

Tennessee vs Marist:
Tenn is going to win, but I will be rooting and yelling for Marist the entire 40 minutes.

Purdue vs Georgia:
Agree, this will be a great game. However, I am picking Purdue to come out the victor. They have looked, very, very strong, and their defense has been something special.

North Carolina vs George Washington:
The GW coach called Notre Dame to get the lowdown on the Heels. UNC will probably win, but I will be rooting for GW since I totally dislike the Heels.

Regardless of the winners and losers, I am looking forward to 16+ hours of total enjoyment. Unlike past tournments, there are some really competitive teams playing and the games should be great.

maroondevil

PostPosted: 03/23/07 9:44 pm    ::: Re: Sweet 16 picks Reply Reply with quote

ASU

Duke vs Rutgers
Duke

LSU vs Florida State
LSU

UConn vs NC State
UCONN

Oklahoma vs Mississippi

Mississippi

Tennessee vs Marist
I think the great run ends here for Marist, will cheer for them but UT wins.

Purdue vs Georgia

Purdue

UNC
Don't know much about GW

mikey87

PostPosted: 03/23/07 9:57 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Bowling Green... Just Because

Duke

LSU

NC STATE... They are playing tremendous right now,,,

Mississippi

Tennessee

Georgia... the ladies will step up.....

PurdueBBall3

PostPosted: 03/23/07 9:59 pm    ::: Re: Sweet 16 picks Reply Reply with quote

Arizona State vs Bowling Green = Bowling Green

Duke vs Rutgers = Duke

Florida State vs LSU = LSU

NC State vs UConn = NC State

Mississippi vs Oklahoma = Oklahoma

Marist vs Tennessee = Marist

Georgia vs Purdue = Purdue

George Washington vs North Carolina = North Carolina

Location: In a world where a PSYCHOpath like Trump isn't potus.

PostPosted: 03/23/07 10:35 pm    ::: Re: Sweet 16 picks Reply Reply with quote

pilight wrote:

Both teams have gotten here with two close wins. The Sun Devils have fallen far behind twice then come back to win, while the Falcons have taken a pair of back-and-forth contests. If AzSt gets 18 down this time, they're done. If it's tight throughout, BG might be in trouble. One thing I know for sure, you can't go too far wrong picking P10 teams to lose this time of year. I'm taking Bowling Green.

Duke vs Rutgers

The Scarlets are not the same team that got blown out of the RAC by the Debs earlier this year. Rutgers has actually won by larger margins than Duke in both rounds so far. That having been said, I don't see Duke losing in Carolina and I really don't see it being very close.

LSU vs Florida State

The Noles have nobody that can match up with Fowles. FSU's minor miracle ends here.

UConn vs NC State

Talent-wise it's no contest. Coaching-wise it's a huge mismatch. The only question is whether the emotion of Kay Yow's illness can carry the Pack another round. That worked in Raleigh, but it's not going to play 3000 miles away in Fresno. I predict a blowout.

Oklahoma vs Mississippi

Let me tell you something about Carol Ross. She's the ultimate tournament tease. Any time you think her team has got it all together, it's time for a spectacular meltdown. Lots of people seem to be liking Ole Miss here. I'm not buying, Paris will get consecutive double-double #61 and Oklahoma will move on.

Tennessee vs Marist

In 1994, #13 seed Texas A&M got a huge upset over #4 seed Florida then beat high scoring mid-major #5 seed San Diego State. They lost to #1 seed Purdue in the S16 by 26 in a game not as close as the score makes it sound.

In 2005, #13 seed Liberty got a huge upset over #4 seed Penn State then beat high scoring mid-major #5 seed DePaul. They lost to #1 seed LSU in the S16 by 42 in a game not as close as the score makes it sound.

This year, #13 Marist got a huge upset over #4 seed Ohio State then beat high scoring mid-major #5 seed Middle Tennessee State. I think everyone sees where this is going...

Purdue vs Georgia

This has the makings of an entertaining game. Tasha Humphrey is hard to stop, but the Boilers play outstanding post D. Katie Gearlds can score in bunches, but sometimes vanishes in big games. Purdue's ball handling is shaky, Georgia's offensive options outside of Humphrey are inconsistent at best. I'm gonna pick Georgia, but without much enthusiasm. They're better at PG and C, and that's usually enough.

Sorry, G-Dub, the Heels are on a mission, and it ain't a Sweet 16 mission.

agree on all counts.

Soonerville

PostPosted: 03/23/07 10:35 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Arizona State vs Bowling Green:
ASU's never-let-up defense will smother BG in a low-scoring affair.
X Factor: Briann January

Duke vs Rutgers:
This will be one of the most entertaining games this weekend, and I think it goes down to the wire with Rutgers pulling the colossal upset. Yeah, I said it. X Factor: Essence Carson.

LSU vs Florida State:
This will be a physical grind-it-out slugfest. FSU pulls away late. X Factors: Brittany Miller and Nikki Anthony.

UConn vs NC State:
I think I agree with other posters who have chosen the Wolfpack to survive and advance, despite playing superior talent. X Factor: Gillian Goring.

Oklahoma vs Mississippi:
The Sooners have been listening to people say they're too slow, too careless (althought I'm not that much of a homer that I can't admit we have had major TO issues)...and are going down on Sunday. They live to play another day because they will control the boards. They're focused and tired of being told they're overrated. Time to put that to rest. X Factors: Leah Rush and Ashley Paris.

Tennessee vs Marist:
Tennessee will roll late, but Marist keeps it intriguing for a liittle while. X Factors: Alexis Hornbuckle and the obvious, Candace Parker.

Purdue vs Georgia:
This will be anohter entertaining and high octane kind of game. Purdue really is special and have excellent ball defense and they win comfortably. X Factor: Katie Gearlds.

North Carolina vs George Washington:
I think this may be a huge blowout. NC is overall athletically superior and has more speed and weapons and crazy rebounding. (Yeah, call me Miss Obvious.) I'm pulling for GW, too- - but I think they lose big. X Factor: Erlana Larkins

I am all set for a great weekend too- - don't you just love tourney time? Smile

PostPosted: 03/23/07 10:51 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Arizona State vs Bowling Green: Bowling Green. If they can beat Vandy, and they're rested, they can beat ASU too.

Duke vs Rutgers: Duke. RU doesn't have the firepower. I haven't seen RU much this season, but I have the impression they don't have the depth-- is that an accurate assessment?

Florida State vs LSU: LSU, but it's a tough call, and I suspect it'll be my last pick for LSU. I don't care how at ease the players are with their new coach, it's still a new coach, and I don't think this team has the talent to take him to a Final Four.

NC State vs UConn: UConn, but it's another tough call. UConn has the talent, but is anybody playing with as much intensity as Whittington, or as much heart as NCST as a whole? UConn will need to shut that down early, because if the game is up for grabs in the late going, I don't know who the Hussies have-- besides Mel Thomas-- who will be able to match the emotions. UConn has struck me as a mercurial team, and if they're not there for this game, they'll lose it.

Mississippi vs Oklahoma: Oklahoma. Ole Miss isn't going to catch two underachieving teams in a row. OU will make the best of what they have-- and what they have is six seniors, a go-to PG, and Courtney Double-double. Armintie Price has just five fouls to give, and the OU front line has about twenty. Advantage OU.

Marist vs Tennessee: UT. I have not seen Marist play all year, so I really don't know what I'm saying on this one. But I have seen UT play at times when I thought they would challenge for the NC. UT has the ability to take this one.

Georgia vs Purdue: Purdue. Unless it's UGA. This could be the closest game in the S16, if Gearlds is on.

George Washington vs North Carolina: UNC. Again, I haven't seen GW play, but I have seen UNC. I think ND provided the blueprint for beating UNC. Can Gee-Dub play that game?

And, can I just take a moment to say what a great tournament it has been, both on the women's and the men's side? We have seen some teams really earn some respect, even in losing: Baylor and ND come to mind, and the men's sweet 16 has been one great game after another. No matter who wins, I am really enjoying this.

PostPosted: 03/23/07 11:03 pm    ::: Re: Sweet 16 picks Reply Reply with quote

PurdueBBall3 wrote:

Duke vs Rutgers = Duke

NC State vs UConn = NC State

Mississippi vs Oklahoma = Oklahoma

Marist vs Tennessee = Marist

Exactly what I would like to see happen....except for UNC, of course. Wink

RavenDog

PostPosted: 03/23/07 11:06 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Arizona State vs Bowling Green = ARIZONA STATE

Duke vs Rutgers = RUTGERS (If Matee doesn't get into foul trouble.)

NC State vs UConn = UCONN

Mississippi vs Oklahoma = OKLAHOMA (But be rooting for Ole Miss.)

Marist vs Tennessee = TENNESSEE (But rooting for Marist)

Georgia vs Purdue = GEORGIA

George Washington vs North Carolina = NORTH CAROLINA

LadyDevilFan

PostPosted: 03/23/07 11:09 pm    ::: Re: Sweet 16 picks Reply Reply with quote

pilight wrote:

Ohhh schnikes! Ouch! Confused

My picks:

Arizona State vs Bowling Green: ASU - Devils never say die!

Duke vs Rutgers: Rutgers

Florida State vs LSU: Florida State

NC State vs UConn: UConn

Mississippi vs Oklahoma: Oklahoma

Marist vs Tennessee: Tennessee

Georgia vs Purdue: Georgia, but I haven't seen Purdue play at all, so what do I know.

George Washington vs North Carolina: UNC

GO Sun Devils!

--LDF

beknighted

PostPosted: 03/23/07 11:10 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

bballjunkee212 wrote:
Duke vs Rutgers: Duke. RU doesn't have the firepower. I haven't seen RU much this season, but I have the impression they don't have the depth-- is that an accurate assessment?

As always, I make no predictions (and if you think my tournament challenge entries are predictions, you've never really looked at them). However, I will answer questions.

1. I don't know what constitutes depth or firepower, but RU has four players who average double-digit scoring - Vaughn, Prince, Carson and Ajavon, and the fifth starter, Zurich, is capable of hitting outside shots if she's given the chance. Duke actually has only 3 players who average 10 points or more a game. RU has six players who average 20 minutes or more a game, plus one more who averages close to 14 and has been playing a lot lately. Against MSU, 7 players got substantial minutes, and an 8th player usually gets more time, but Vaughn stayed in and didn't really get spelled much because CVS wanted to take advantage of DeHaan sitting on the bench.

2. I will note that RU scored 70 and 77 points in its first two games. The last time RU scored 70 points in 2 consecutive NCAA games was 1999. This is about as efficient as RU's offense gets. If I count right, only 4 of the teams in the Sweet 16 have done that this year, and Duke isn't one of them. (Maryland did it, too, but was outscored by Mississippi.)

mikey87

PostPosted: 03/23/07 11:20 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

beknighted wrote:
bballjunkee212 wrote:

As always, I make no predictions (and if you think my tournament challenge entries are predictions, you've never really looked at them). However, I will answer questions.

1. I don't know what constitutes depth or firepower, but RU has four players who average double-digit scoring - Vaughn, Prince, Carson and Ajavon, and the fifth starter, Zurich, is capable of hitting outside shots if she's given the chance. Duke actually has only 3 players who average 10 points or more a game. RU has six players who average 20 minutes or more a game, plus one more who averages close to 14 and has been playing a lot lately. Against MSU, 7 players got substantial minutes, and an 8th player usually gets more time, but Vaughn stayed in and didn't really get spelled much because CVS wanted to take advantage of DeHaan sitting on the bench.

2. I will note that RU scored 70 and 77 points in its first two games. The last time RU scored 70 points in 2 consecutive NCAA games was 1999. This is about as efficient as RU's offense gets. If I count right, only 4 of the teams in the Sweet 16 have done that this year, and Duke isn't one of them. (Maryland did it, too, but was outscored by Mississippi.)

I remember when your ladies played my DAWGS earlier this year, And they impressed me. Even without Ajavon. This game could go either way though...

CAPPIE1

PostPosted: 03/23/07 11:22 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

asu - bgu: bgu

duke - rutgers: rutgers

fsu - lsu: fsu

ncs - uconn: ncs

miss - okl: miss

marist - tenn: tenn

PostPosted: 03/23/07 11:28 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

UNC-GW --> UNC

Georgia-Purdue --> Purdue

Tenn.-Marist --> Tenn.

Oklahoma-Ole Miss --> Oklahoma

Uconn-NC State --> I want NC State but I'll pick Uconn

LSU-FSU --> FSU in the upset

Duke-Rutgers --> Duke (Bales will be the difference maker in the middle)

ASU-BGU --> ASU (I have to pick my last remaining Pac-10 team)

hoopfan24

PostPosted: 03/24/07 12:37 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

your digs at the pac 10 are old pilight. ASU wins, you'll be wrong about them like you were on Stanford the last 3 yrs when they went to the E8. Big deal, you got it right this yr, we weren't going far with a 3rd string pg.

hoopfan24

PostPosted: 03/24/07 1:06 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Arizona State vs Bowling Green: ASU has played crappy so far, but they will finally wake up and play well. Still a tight game.

Duke vs Rutgers: Duke because of Harding and Gay as the wild card. It will be ugly to start, but Duke will settle down and play their game.

Florida State vs LSU: the ugliest game of the day, by far. No real shooters, but a lot of athletes. FSU will shoot their usual poor FG%, LSU wins in the paint.

NC State vs UConn: everyone in the US but the Hussies want NC St, but too bad it won't happen. UConn is too talented and balanced.

Mississippi vs Oklahoma: A real toss up. Miss has speed, OU has Paris, and both coaches are equally inept in big games. I'll go with OU because of Rush and other Srs., reluctanly so.

Marist vs Tennessee: UT pulls away in the 2nd half, but maybe the LVols will learn to run a half court offense by seeing Marist do it. Good prep for E8 game.

Georgia vs Purdue: I have no idea on this one, both teams are unpredictable. I'll go with GA because the combo of Humphrey and backcourt shooters trumps Geralds.

George Washington vs North Carolina. GW. Upset of the day. UNC hasn't been playing inspired ball, TOs and fouls will finally catch up with them.

njjosh

PostPosted: 03/24/07 10:09 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Bowling Green vs. Arizona State -- BG is deeper (though not much) than UC Riverside and better coached than Louisville. Arizona State can only play the comeback game so many times before it gets burned. Today, it does.

Duke vs. Rutgers -- Rutgers has improved since losing to Duke by 40. But they haven't improved that much. Duke still win fairly comfortably.

LSU vs. Florida State -- Ditto pilight's sentiments. LSU wins handily.

UConn vs. NC State -- I have a funny feeling about this one. On paper, Geno & Co. should win this going away. I think they'll still pull it off, but NC State's emotion will keep it closer than it should be.

As a brief aside, the biggest loser this weekend will be the organizers in Fresno, whose closest team is four hours away by plane. Thank you, Stanford.

Tennessee vs. Marist -- Jim Foster won't be coaching the Lady Vols today. And the Lady Vols can beat you in more ways than Middle Tennessee State can. In other words, say goodbye to Marist, and probably in very rude fashion.

Oklahoma vs. Ole Miss -- The Rebels have no answer for Courtney Paris. But the Rebels can feast on the Sooners' turnover-prone guards the same way they feasted on Maryland's. That will keep the Sooners from getting Paris the ball as much as they need to, and the Rebels squeak out a close one.

North Carolina vs. George Washington -- The Colonials are very good. But they can't last for 40 minutes at the Tar Heels' pace. Unless they do a great job at controlling the tempo and shoot the ball very well, North Carolina rolls.

Purdue vs. Georgia -- This could be the best matchup of the weekend. While I liked McCallie better than Versyp from when I saw them in the America East, I still like Versyp as a head coach. Of more significance, however, I'm going with my rule to never bet on an Andy Landers-coached team after the first weekend of the tournament. Purdue pulls it out.

pilight

PostPosted: 03/24/07 10:12 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

hoopfan24 wrote:
we weren't going far with a 3rd string pg.

Seems like Stanford is always on a 3rd string PG.

PostPosted: 03/24/07 10:29 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Duke vs Rutgers = Duke

NC State vs UConn = UConn

Mississippi vs Oklahoma = Ole Miss

Marist vs Tennessee = UTenn

PostPosted: 03/24/07 11:00 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

That's the first time I can remember pilight making a bunch of intuitive/ hunch picks at once.

Bowling Green-ASU could go either way: ASU are much quicker but go on scoring droughts, and Bowling Green beat good teams when and only when their threes are falling (that's why they trailed in their first-round game). I'll pick Bowling Green, but no outcome would surprise me.

Duke-Rutgers: Rutgers are much, much better now than when they lost by a million, and they handle mental pressure better. Duke had trouble with Temple, and Duke tend to be a first-half team. I'd much rather keep watching Duke, who are fun to watch at every position, than see the high-speed, low-scoring tangle the Scarlet Knights prefer, but I think Kia Vaughn has found her game. Neither outcome would surprise me, and I'd like to be wrong, but: Rutgers, in a squeaker.

NC State-UConn: can Hunter play today? can Charles avoid foul trouble in the second half? If the answer are "yes" and "yes" then UConn wins by 15. If the answer are "no" and "no," then emotion takes it and NC State wins by one possession. If the answers are mixed, UConn wins, but it's close.

LSU-FSU: I haven't seen FSU yet this year (the only team of the eight I haven't watched), so I don't really know what I'm talking about here, but: LSU. They've beaten better teams, and Fowles hasn't gotten any shorter, or any less athletic, since Pokey resigned.

Here comes the tipoff:

pilight

PostPosted: 03/24/07 11:03 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

accommodatingly wrote:
That's the first time I can remember pilight making a bunch of intuitive/ hunch picks at once.

How little you know me. I always pick on hunches and intuition, then find stats to backup whatever position I feel like taking.

PostPosted: 03/24/07 11:12 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

pilight wrote:
hoopfan24 wrote:
we weren't going far with a 3rd string pg.

Seems like Stanford is always on a 3rd string PG.

how many teams have lost 2 pgs as many times as us?

None.

caune

PostPosted: 03/24/07 11:13 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Do you all seriously think ASU will play as badly as they did the first two tourney games??? If they play their usual good defense and some decent offense, they will win.
I can't imagine three sub par games in a row from an experiened well coached team...but then the basketball gods can be crazy Wink

Post new topic   Reply to topic    RebKell's Junkie Boards Forum Index » NCAA Women's Basketball - General Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: