RebKell's Junkie Boards
Board Junkies Forums

Go Owls! Division II semifinals tonight on ESPNU

Post new topic   Reply to topic    RebKell's Junkie Boards Forum Index » NCAA Women's Basketball - General Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
dtsnms

PostPosted: 03/22/07 8:30 am    ::: Go Owls! Division II semifinals tonight on ESPNU Reply Reply with quote

Southern Connecticut plays at 8:00 on ESPNU tonight in the Division II semifinals vs. UC San Diego in Kearney, Nebraska

Southern beat Drury 74-54 yesterday, while UC-San Diego knocked out Glenville State 71-61 after trailing by 15.

Southern features Kate Lynch, a junior Kodak All American, and Boston College transfer Smaika Jackson. You'll see a familiar face on the sidelines too, as former Husky Maria Conlon is a first year assistant for the Owls.

Clayton State (29-5) plays UNDEFEATED (33-0) Florida Gulf Coast at 10:00 pm. Championship game is Saturday at 6:00 pm.

Geno32

PostPosted: 03/22/07 10:14 am    ::: Re: Go Owls! Division II semifinals tonight on ESPNU Reply Reply with quote

dtsnms wrote:
Southern Connecticut plays at 8:00 on ESPNU tonight in the Division II semifinals vs. UC San Diego in Kearney, Nebraska

Southern beat Drury 74-54 yesterday, while UC-San Diego knocked out Glenville State 71-61 after trailing by 15.

Southern features Kate Lynch, a junior Kodak All American, and Boston College transfer Smaika Jackson. You'll see a familiar face on the sidelines too, as former Husky Maria Conlon is a first year assistant for the Owls.

Clayton State (29-5) plays UNDEFEATED (33-0) Florida Gulf Coast at 10:00 pm. Championship game is Saturday at 6:00 pm.

Watched the game yesterday at SCSU via the internet. Now i just have to find a firend with the U or a sports bar willing to put it on. Go OWLS!!!!!!!

PostPosted: 03/22/07 1:36 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

I'm surprised and very happy that the Fighting Politically Controversial Mascots from Grand Forks were defeated so decisively by Florida Gulf State.

dtsnms

PostPosted: 03/22/07 9:13 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

In an ugly, horribly shot game, Southern Connecticut advanced to the finals tonight! Go Owls!!!

Geno32

PostPosted: 03/23/07 8:13 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Finals are Saturday at 6PM on ESPN2. SCSU had a rough first half with rebounding and Kate Lynch keeping the Owls in the game. Jackson and Noah had good second halfs and the SCSU pulled away in the end.

PostPosted: 03/23/07 10:34 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Florida Gulf Coast is quite a team and quite a program. They are moving to DI next year. Five years in DII - four 20 win seasons, and one 30 win season.

Expect their coach to move up fast through the rankings.

Geno32

PostPosted: 03/23/07 11:03 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Look for Frager to explore the opening at Fairfield

PostPosted: 03/23/07 11:14 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Geno32 wrote:
Look for Frager to explore the opening at Fairfield

HOPE SO.

Geno32

PostPosted: 03/23/07 11:37 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

I hear there might be another DI opening in CT..we'll see

Location: In a world where a PSYCHOpath like Trump isn't potus.

PostPosted: 03/23/07 5:37 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

i watched both semis- great comeback by the owls.

the second game was unreal- undefeated florida gulfcoast led 22-2, and by 16 at halftime, but we're losing 44-42 ~midway thru the 2nd half.

they managed to pull out the win.

what a day of hoop tomorrow, starting at noon!

sports_nut

PostPosted: 03/23/07 7:54 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Good luck dtsnms. No offense, but I'll be rooting rooting for Florida Gulf Coast. 2 of my former students are starters for them, so I have to support them. I do hope it's a good game.

The plan is for my dad and I to drive out to Kearney for the championship. I'll give you a report later if you want.

dtsnms

PostPosted: 03/24/07 8:12 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

sports_nut wrote:
Good luck dtsnms. No offense, but I'll be rooting rooting for Florida Gulf Coast. 2 of my former students are starters for them, so I have to support them. I do hope it's a good game.

The plan is for my dad and I to drive out to Kearney for the championship. I'll give you a report later if you want.

please do; championship hoops is championship hoops, regardless of level. These kids work just as hard, play just as hard, and deserve our respect. I just hope SCSU can hang with FGC.

BBallFanCT729

PostPosted: 03/24/07 7:01 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Congrats to SCSU!!! NCAA Division II National Champions Smile !!!

They defeated Florida Gulf Coast 61-45.

Daddychoc

PostPosted: 03/24/07 8:26 pm    ::: Go Southern Reply Reply with quote

Great win!

sports_nut

PostPosted: 03/25/07 2:09 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

dtsnms wrote:
sports_nut wrote:

please do; championship hoops is championship hoops, regardless of level. These kids work just as hard, play just as hard, and deserve our respect. I just hope SCSU can hang with FGC.

Hey dtsnms. Obviously SCSU did more than "hang" with FGC. The Owls really dictated the style of play. The one stat that really told the story was fast break points: 6-2 in favor of FCG. The fact that the uptempo Eagles only got 6 fast break points really showed that it truly was a physical, half-court game.

The Owls, also benefited from a "let-em play" game called by the refs. There were a couple of times where the Owls literally bear hugged FGC players as they cut through the lane. But the calls were consistent and FGC just couldn't hit their threes.

Lots of good sportmanship before, during and after the game. Both sides really cheered for their sides without the trash talking that seems to dominate sports at the highest levels. It was a throwback to the 1950's in that respect.

The facility is very nice at U of Nebraska-Kearney. It's better than many smaller Division I schools.

I totally agree with you about D-II athletics. Many of these players could play D-I (and both teams could beat many of the weaker D-I schools). My only complaint is how the NCAA runs the D-II tournaments. To win the national championship, the Owls had to win 3 games in 4 days (the D-I tournies have 2 games with a day's rest in between and then off for a week). I understand the rationale behind doing it this way, but by the time the title game rolls around, the players don't have the spring in their legs which, in my mind, accounted for the unusually high number of missed lay-ups by both teams.

But it was fun to watch. I felt bad for my former students. They thanked me for coming and apologized that they didn't win. I told it that is was a thrill to watch them play for a national championship (very few people ever get that chance). I'm really proud of them!

Again congrats, dtsnms and the SCSU Eagles. The players, fans and coaches were very classy. They may not play D-I but they have D-I hearts.

Geno32

PostPosted: 03/26/07 10:15 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Its SCSU Owls. Had a welcome home for the team yesterday. The governor was there as were many other reps from the State. A great bunch of young ladies who are coached by a first class coaching staff. Congrats to the Owls.
The Owls scrimmaged 2 D1 teams in the preseason and won both handily.

PostPosted: 03/26/07 10:17 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Thanks for the write up sports_nut. Great stuff. When I spent the first two years of my college days at Clark Univ, in Mass, they were a D III national contender. It was so much fun; love the atmosphere of a DII and DIII tournament!

Way to go SCSU!

Post new topic   Reply to topic    RebKell's Junkie Boards Forum Index » NCAA Women's Basketball - General Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: