RebKell's Junkie Boards
Board Junkies Forums

Who follows Jody?
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    RebKell's Junkie Boards Forum Index » NCAA Women's Basketball - General Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
pilight

PostPosted: 03/13/07 5:46 am    ::: Who follows Jody? Reply Reply with quote

http://www.statesman.com/sports/content/sports/stories/longhorns/03/13/13next.html

PostPosted: 03/13/07 8:25 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

The first three, and the last one are just ridiculous to even consider. Having said that, I would say that Mulkey has to be the top ranked candidate. She might like getting out of Waco, now that her family life has transformed. Austin is a great town for kids to grow up in, too.

Mulkey is my hands down fave in this race.

PostPosted: 03/13/07 12:22 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

I don't think Mulkey is someone that has the temperment to coach at Texas. She's already built a program at Baylor. I doubt she would leave.

Here is what I think of the list:

Gail Goestenkors - Never

Kim Mulkey Baylor - Don't even try it.

Brenda Frese Maryland - No (She's got a good thing going at Maryland)

Nell Fortner Auburn - No

Melanie Balcomb Vanderbilt - Probably a leading contender

Joanne McCallie Michigan State - No (I would see her in Florida before Texas)

Pam Borton Minnesota - No

Tom Collen Louisville - Slight possibility

Joanne Boyle California - Huge upside as a coach, but could not see her tolerating living in Texas.

Dawn Staley Temple - No (I think she is waiting for the Virginia job to open)

bballfan2005

PostPosted: 03/13/07 12:27 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

fancy_daniel wrote:
Dawn Staley Temple - No (I think she is waiting for the Virginia job to open)

You think Dawn will stay at Temple until 2012, then?

Mathies to LA 2013
NK

PostPosted: 03/13/07 12:29 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

fancy_daniel wrote:

Joanne Boyle California - Huge upside as a coach, but could not see her tolerating living in Texas.

Now just WTF is that supposed to mean?

BTW, for future reference. Austin is nothing like Texas.

PostPosted: 03/13/07 1:55 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

NK wrote:
fancy_daniel wrote:

Yeah...it's the capital! And, it is unique, that's for sure. People move there, and never want to leave.

PostPosted: 03/13/07 2:41 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

4ever_bball_fan wrote:
NK wrote:
fancy_daniel wrote:

Yeah...it's the capital! And, it is unique, that's for sure. People move there, and never want to leave.

Well, some Texans work there for a while and decide they NEVER want to live there. A short visit is fine. Live there? Not a chance.

The surrounding area is beautiful, no question and that would be just fine. But Austin itself? I think they have the market cornered on the self-righteous.

PostPosted: 03/13/07 2:47 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

10-4 on the self-righteous...and that goes for both political parties...LOL.

PostPosted: 03/13/07 2:57 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Austin is one of top 5 cities in the US to live and work. And the University of Texas job is a plum. Any coach in America that is not tied down to his/her location would die for this job.

Texas will have its choice of available coaches; lets just hope he/she is not already taken.

Michael

PostPosted: 03/13/07 3:11 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

RavenDog wrote:
Austin is one of top 5 cities in the US to live and work. And the University of Texas job is a plum. Any coach in America that is not tied down to his/her location would die for this job.

Texas will have its choice of available coaches; lets just hope he/she is not already taken.

Didn't we hear this same crapola from the UF people? Isn't LSU actually the plum job available at this moment? Who really wants to follow a legend if you don't have to?

PostPosted: 03/13/07 3:13 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

NK wrote:
4ever_bball_fan wrote:
NK wrote:
fancy_daniel wrote:

Well, some Texans work there for a while and decide they NEVER want to live there. A short visit is fine. Live there? Not a chance.

The surrounding area is beautiful, no question and that would be just fine. But Austin itself? I think they have the market cornered on the self-righteous.

Self-righteous = Liberal? I've never been to Austin, but I've always heard good things. I've also always heard that it's a breath of fresh air (for those so inclined) in an otherwise conservative state.

Last edited by PurdueBBall3 on 03/13/07 3:21 pm; edited 1 time in total
dtsnms

PostPosted: 03/13/07 3:14 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Michael wrote:
Didn't we hear this same crapola from the UF people? Isn't LSU actually the plum job available at this moment? Who really wants to follow a legend if you don't have to?

Peck, a legend? Shocked J/k, I know what you meant....wouldn't you consider LSU's job to be Sharkey's for the losing?

Michael

PostPosted: 03/13/07 3:19 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

dtsnms wrote:
Michael wrote:

Peck, a legend? Shocked J/k, I know what you meant....wouldn't you consider LSU's job to be Sharkey's for the losing?

He has said he doesn't want it and his family is packing to leave for his next job from the report in the paper I saw. The only way that changes IMHO is if he pulls a "Fisher".

PostPosted: 03/13/07 3:21 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Michael wrote:
dtsnms wrote:
Michael wrote:

He has said he doesn't want it and his family is packing to leave for his next job from the report in the paper I saw. The only way that changes IMHO is if he pulls a "Fisher".

That's exactly what I meant. If he wins, he stays. Otherwise, it's Van Chancellor's job.

4ever_bball_fan

PostPosted: 03/13/07 3:26 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

PurdueBBall3 wrote:
Self-righteous = Liberal? I've never been to Austin, but I've always heard good things. I've also always heard that it's a breath of fresh air (for those so inclined) in an otherwise conservative state.

Ding-ding-ding...we have a winnnnah!

PostPosted: 03/13/07 3:40 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Borton hasn't proven that she can develop young talent. She inherited Whalen & McCarville and then had the mutiny after last season that was never honestly explained.

Pokey needs a job. What about her? Laughing

What other Texas alums are available...what about Kami Ethridge? Does she want to be a head coach?

MTSUPiKapp

PostPosted: 03/13/07 4:55 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

RavenDog wrote:

What do you mean by "tied down"? Because it sounds like you're insinuating that some coach's would love to take the Texas job, but couldn't get out of their existing job. Texas is a great job, but I assure you that some top notch coaches are plenty happy where they are, despite making less money.

Point in case, Rick Insell. Rick will spend his entire career at MTSU. He's from Tennessee, he's an alumn, and he coached high school basketball here for almost 30 years. He knows the recruitment trail, he's an icon here, and he genuinely loves it. He'll be here another 10+ years and then he'll retire.

fancy_daniel

PostPosted: 03/13/07 5:11 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

NK wrote:
fancy_daniel wrote:

I've heard that Austin is very different from the rest of Texas. However, my boyfriend is from Texas and every time he goes to visit his family, he tells me again why he can't live in Texas. Different way of thinking over there. Not saying it's wrong, just us Fruits and Nuts (as his uncle called us once) wouldn't make it over there and they wouldn't be too keen on our Tofu, Gingko Biloba, Agape, Woo, Woo, alternative lifestyle types. I think Joanne Boyle may be a Fruit or a Nut herself. She fits perfectly in Berkeley.

NK

PostPosted: 03/13/07 6:41 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

fancy_daniel wrote:
NK wrote:
fancy_daniel wrote:

I've heard that Austin is very different from the rest of Texas. However, my boyfriend is from Texas and every time he goes to visit his family, he tells me again why he can't live in Texas. Different way of thinking over there. Not saying it's wrong, just us Fruits and Nuts (as his uncle called us once) wouldn't make it over there and they wouldn't be too keen on our Tofu, Gingko Biloba, Agape, Woo, Woo, alternative lifestyle types. I think Joanne Boyle may be a Fruit or a Nut herself. She fits perfectly in Berkeley.

Having lived here nearly all of my life I think I can say with some degree of knowlege that you/your boyfriend don't know what you're talking about.

People have such bizarre ideas about Texas. Good, people like that need to stay away. All of us will be much happier in the long run.

Anyone who wants to come is more than welcome. Those with preconceived notions that they are somehow better than the rest of us can stay away. Or move to Austin, pretty much the same thing. Most of us believe in personal freedom and that's something Texans pride themselves in.

That's not the accepted way of thinking in Austin.

PostPosted: 03/26/07 5:29 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

MadDog22 wrote:
Borton hasn't proven that she can develop young talent. She inherited Whalen & McCarville and then had the mutiny after last season that was never honestly explained.

I disagree, Pam developed Broback as best as she could. ( that was her recruit) If Jamie would've stayed she would've been an All American and a possible draft pick. Borton has also developed Bolden as one the best defenders in the country in her 4 years at the U.

p_d_swanson

PostPosted: 03/26/07 5:38 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

I'll wholeheartedly endorse Borton's candidacy for the Texas job. Or any others that might be available...

gopherfan

PostPosted: 03/26/07 5:40 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

p_d_swanson wrote:
I'll wholeheartedly endorse Borton's candidacy for the Texas job. Or any others that might be available...

Shocked Shocked Shocked Huh..

ucbart

PostPosted: 03/26/07 6:42 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

fancy_daniel wrote:
NK wrote:
fancy_daniel wrote:

Fancy Daniel, that could be without a doubt one of the funniest posts I have ever read. Thanks for the comic relief to calm my nerves before we play LSU.

PS, thanks for taking my obsession with JP Calderon to a new level with that avatar.

OU#1

PostPosted: 03/26/07 9:44 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

So who are some Coach Conradt products - former players and former assts. in the coaching ranks? Wouldn't you think she would give her two cents worth to the administration?

DblT81

PostPosted: 03/26/07 10:22 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

OU#1 wrote:
So who are some Coach Conradt products - former players and former assts. in the coaching ranks? Wouldn't you think she would give her two cents worth to the administration?

Former players Nell Fortner, Kamie Ethridge, Clarissa Davis Wrightsil, Kenya Larkin...

Several high school coaches

You would think in 30+ years there might be more than that but I can't think of them.

Assistant coaches were the same for several years at Texas. Of course, Karen Aston left the Horns last season for Baylor.

http://www.ncaa.org/sites/default/files/Baylor%2BPublic%2BInf%2BReport.pdf
Post new topic   Reply to topic    RebKell's Junkie Boards Forum Index » NCAA Women's Basketball - General Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: