RebKell's Junkie Boards
Board Junkies Forums

CP3 vs DT3
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    RebKell's Junkie Boards Forum Index » NCAA Women's Basketball - General Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Queenie

PostPosted: 02/26/07 2:45 pm    ::: Re: Support WCBB first Reply Reply with quote

Quote:
I'm thinking that might be the only way Parker can be drafted by the Mercury without the universe imploding- they end up in a death match and one eliminates the other, thus preventing the UConn/Tennessee/Rutgers matter/antimatter/antiantimatter reaction.

Queenie, a matter/antimatter engine sure got the Starship Enterprise to alot of galaxies - I'd LOVE to see how far my gals could go with that kind of energy! And NO, I'm not giving up hope until draft day, dammit.[/quote]

Yeah, but that's just a very carefully controlled matter/antimatter reaction with the most minimal possible contact. You throw Cappie in there, and that's anti-antimatter. The universe can't cope.

PostPosted: 02/26/07 2:58 pm    ::: Re: Support WCBB first Reply Reply with quote

Slovydal wrote:
Daddychoc wrote:
Parker may be responding to all the critics.

Remember she was called "soft" last season, didnt get rebounds etc. CP3 is in their banging now, mixing it up. She may be a lil suprised with the roughhousing that goes on down there.

Now that she know how to "beat" the ruff stuff she's having a lil fun (stares, girl you cant check me) with it. She may think that the refs give her a hard time because they never reffed a game with a player of her type.

Why cant Parker's SWAGGER be embraced like DT3's was? Well I guess it is byt the Tenn fans, so its normal that if Tenn isn't your team that means you dont care for the players.

"REAL" basketball fans will appreciate the game and the players that play it even if they're not on "your" team.

Who's the next MOST HATED after CP3 leaves Tenn?

It's best to have some grasp of what someone's talking about before you respond.

Go back and read Bri's post.

Nah I think you need to do that, btw follow the whole thread. I'm going to assume that you agree with Bri and if you do I'll understand where you're coming from too. (cough) hata!

luvDhoops

PostPosted: 02/26/07 3:01 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

mercfan3 wrote:
luvDhoops wrote:
mercfan3 wrote:
Parker does not have a media personality like DT did. She doesn't have quotes that still make you giggle years later, and you don't see the joy in her game that you saw in Diana's. Parker's going to get a lot of endorsements because of her looks and talent, where as Taurasi got them because of how much of a personality she is.

I don't know, I think a lot of people don't like the fire, intesnity, passion whatever you want to call it that players like Diana, Kara Lawson and now Latta Ivory have. I think they are sort of Love them or hate them.

From what I've seen of her, I can't understand how you could hate Diana Taurasi the person...I don't hold not being "little miss smiley" against Parker. Some people just can't stand being in the light, or are naturally shy...she's more of a Kobe or a VJ and Annika, where as Taurasi is more of a Tiger, an MJ, or Michelle Wie..

I've stated it before, there are amazing athletes, and special athletes. To me, watching the special athletes are like watching a storm or an explosion...you are drawn into them. Michelle Wie isn't the best golfer on tour, but because of her aura people still watch her. She says things that she probably shouldn't say, she does what she wants, and when she plays..whether she's exploding and +7, or whether she's close to the men's cut, or leading on the women's tour...people watch. Tiger vs. VJ, sure Tiger's clearly had an amazing two years, but previously, when he was in his slump. We saw Tiger on every shot, even though VJ was kicking ass and taking names. To me, Diana, Sheryl Swoopes, Lindsay Whalen..they all have that aura about them (although Diana and Sheryl have more of the complete package. It's why Diana's 49 point game was talked about in every sports show, and LL's wasn't mentioned.( except Sheryl is more diplomatic/political..where as Diana will feed you bullshit, but say what she wants to say.) Which is where I bring it back to Parker. I don't believe she has that whole package. I think she's an Annika. I think if she couldn't dunk, she wouldn't get nearly as much media attention as she does. Because she's an amazing athlete, but she isn't a personality. And because she's cocky, she rubs people the wrong way.

I'd take Whalen out of that category. Nothing against Whalen. She seems just as quiet, "smileless" and lacking a certain charisma as Parker. Honestly, I've seen Parker smile three times as much as Whalen, which has been never. I love Whalen though. If ever anyone reads her blogs, they are funny as hell. Actually, if you ever listen to Parker in an informal interview, you'll notice she has a similar sense of humor as Whalen.

But even being "smileless" she's sort of the third person in the W that I'd list in that category as special when watching her. But she is sort of inbetween...(maybe like a Steve Nash) She doesn't have the media personality, the complete package, but when you watch her you do get that feeling that you are "watching a Storm"

I feel that way about Latta as well, (although much more people dislike her antics..) but I feel that way, because I think that sort of "watching a storm" thing is why she gets far more attention than Larkins does.

But anyway, to continue with whats going on in this thread. I believe Parker gets as much media attention as she does because of her ability to dunk (and her looks aren't a bad thing) I'm not saying she's not an amazing basketball player, but their are plenty of amazing basketball player's (Paris..Harding) that don't get that amount of attention. She's not a "personality" which was what Taurasi was/is.

Diana's cockieness/swagger was ignored/embraced because of her huge personality. Where as Parker is quiet but arrogant. She clearly doesn't want to talk to any media members, and when she does she's not going to make you chuckle at what she says. She's got a "get the job done" personality. And there isn't anything wrong with that. It's just different, and not as likely to be embraced by as many people. And I for one will not be upset if she ends up on my favorite WNBA team.

Well, we differ in our opinions on this one. To me Whalen and Parker are a lot alike personality wise. I don't see a "storm" coming when Whalen plays (I really don't know what that means), I just see a great player.

I don't think Parker's attitude is she "doesn't want to talk to media members". Parker's pretty coy off the court anyway. I mean, it's just the way she is. It really has nothing to do with the media per say. She's just all business when it comes to basketball. She'll joke with you later, is her persona. Maybe it's the reason you find her less likable. It's unfair to compare her personality to Taurasi's. I mean, there's really no other player you can name who can come close to DT's personality and quick wit. Some people found or find that less likable about her.

I like both personally.

Slovydal

PostPosted: 02/26/07 3:12 pm    ::: Re: Support WCBB first Reply Reply with quote

Daddychoc wrote:

Nah I think you need to do that, btw follow the whole thread. I'm going to assume that you agree with Bri and if you do I'll understand where you're coming from too. (cough) hata!

So where am I coming from?

mercfan3

PostPosted: 02/26/07 4:00 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

luvDhoops wrote:
mercfan3 wrote:
luvDhoops wrote:
mercfan3 wrote:
Parker does not have a media personality like DT did. She doesn't have quotes that still make you giggle years later, and you don't see the joy in her game that you saw in Diana's. Parker's going to get a lot of endorsements because of her looks and talent, where as Taurasi got them because of how much of a personality she is.

I don't know, I think a lot of people don't like the fire, intesnity, passion whatever you want to call it that players like Diana, Kara Lawson and now Latta Ivory have. I think they are sort of Love them or hate them.

From what I've seen of her, I can't understand how you could hate Diana Taurasi the person...I don't hold not being "little miss smiley" against Parker. Some people just can't stand being in the light, or are naturally shy...she's more of a Kobe or a VJ and Annika, where as Taurasi is more of a Tiger, an MJ, or Michelle Wie..

I've stated it before, there are amazing athletes, and special athletes. To me, watching the special athletes are like watching a storm or an explosion...you are drawn into them. Michelle Wie isn't the best golfer on tour, but because of her aura people still watch her. She says things that she probably shouldn't say, she does what she wants, and when she plays..whether she's exploding and +7, or whether she's close to the men's cut, or leading on the women's tour...people watch. Tiger vs. VJ, sure Tiger's clearly had an amazing two years, but previously, when he was in his slump. We saw Tiger on every shot, even though VJ was kicking ass and taking names. To me, Diana, Sheryl Swoopes, Lindsay Whalen..they all have that aura about them (although Diana and Sheryl have more of the complete package. It's why Diana's 49 point game was talked about in every sports show, and LL's wasn't mentioned.( except Sheryl is more diplomatic/political..where as Diana will feed you bullshit, but say what she wants to say.) Which is where I bring it back to Parker. I don't believe she has that whole package. I think she's an Annika. I think if she couldn't dunk, she wouldn't get nearly as much media attention as she does. Because she's an amazing athlete, but she isn't a personality. And because she's cocky, she rubs people the wrong way.

I'd take Whalen out of that category. Nothing against Whalen. She seems just as quiet, "smileless" and lacking a certain charisma as Parker. Honestly, I've seen Parker smile three times as much as Whalen, which has been never. I love Whalen though. If ever anyone reads her blogs, they are funny as hell. Actually, if you ever listen to Parker in an informal interview, you'll notice she has a similar sense of humor as Whalen.

But even being "smileless" she's sort of the third person in the W that I'd list in that category as special when watching her. But she is sort of inbetween...(maybe like a Steve Nash) She doesn't have the media personality, the complete package, but when you watch her you do get that feeling that you are "watching a Storm"

I feel that way about Latta as well, (although much more people dislike her antics..) but I feel that way, because I think that sort of "watching a storm" thing is why she gets far more attention than Larkins does.

But anyway, to continue with whats going on in this thread. I believe Parker gets as much media attention as she does because of her ability to dunk (and her looks aren't a bad thing) I'm not saying she's not an amazing basketball player, but their are plenty of amazing basketball player's (Paris..Harding) that don't get that amount of attention. She's not a "personality" which was what Taurasi was/is.

Diana's cockieness/swagger was ignored/embraced because of her huge personality. Where as Parker is quiet but arrogant. She clearly doesn't want to talk to any media members, and when she does she's not going to make you chuckle at what she says. She's got a "get the job done" personality. And there isn't anything wrong with that. It's just different, and not as likely to be embraced by as many people. And I for one will not be upset if she ends up on my favorite WNBA team.

Well, we differ in our opinions on this one. To me Whalen and Parker are a lot alike personality wise. I don't see a "storm" coming when Whalen plays (I really don't know what that means), I just see a great player.

I don't think Parker's attitude is she "doesn't want to talk to media members". Parker's pretty coy off the court anyway. I mean, it's just the way she is. It really has nothing to do with the media per say. She's just all business when it comes to basketball. She'll joke with you later, is her persona. Maybe it's the reason you find her less likable. It's unfair to compare her personality to Taurasi's. I mean, there's really no other player you can name who can come close to DT's personality and quick wit. Some people found or find that less likable about her.

I like both personally.

Sorry, I know the "storm" analogy is kind of rough, but I can't think of another way to describe it. The best I can do is just look at the difference between how Tiger plays and how VJ plays.

I don't dislike Parker, she was outstanding in Connecticut. But the issue of the thread was Taurasi's personality vs. Parker's. That Parker seems arrogant, condescending to the players around her, whiny...(all characteristics I have heard of Diana by the way) That she doesn't get away with because of her "get the job done" persona, or more serious persona.

Like I said, I don't dislike her, at all..quite the contrary..I'm kind of hoping I can be a fan of hers and watch her this summer. And I also believe that occassionaly, Uconn fans get a bit defensive when it comes to "best WCBB player ever.." As Tenn fans did with Holdsclaw...but we'll get over it and I'll give Parker props if she carries her team to an NC, which I sort of expect her to.

PostPosted: 02/26/07 5:01 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

If I may, I think what mercfan is referring to is what I call the "it" factor. There's something about certain players....Taurasi, Whalen, Parker all fit, that makes you feel that whenever they get the ball, something is going to happen. You don't want to miss "it" happening, and you watch a little closer than the rest of the game.

At least to me that's how it is...

ThreeBall25

PostPosted: 02/26/07 5:36 pm    ::: Re: Support WCBB first Reply Reply with quote

Daddychoc wrote:
Slovydal wrote:
Daddychoc wrote:
Parker may be responding to all the critics.

Remember she was called "soft" last season, didnt get rebounds etc. CP3 is in their banging now, mixing it up. She may be a lil suprised with the roughhousing that goes on down there.

Now that she know how to "beat" the ruff stuff she's having a lil fun (stares, girl you cant check me) with it. She may think that the refs give her a hard time because they never reffed a game with a player of her type.

Why cant Parker's SWAGGER be embraced like DT3's was? Well I guess it is byt the Tenn fans, so its normal that if Tenn isn't your team that means you dont care for the players.

"REAL" basketball fans will appreciate the game and the players that play it even if they're not on "your" team.

Who's the next MOST HATED after CP3 leaves Tenn?

It's best to have some grasp of what someone's talking about before you respond.

Go back and read Bri's post.

The Boneyard called, they would appreciate for you to return. Rolling Eyes

mercfan3

PostPosted: 02/26/07 6:48 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

dtsnms wrote:
If I may, I think what mercfan is referring to is what I call the "it" factor. There's something about certain players....Taurasi, Whalen, Parker all fit, that makes you feel that whenever they get the ball, something is going to happen. You don't want to miss "it" happening, and you watch a little closer than the rest of the game.

Yeah, about the same thing...like I said, the best way to see the difference is look at Tiger and VJ when Tiger was slumping. We still saw every shot of Tiger's because there was just something about him, something exciting..where as, VJ was dominating, and nobody cared.

I guess for me, Parker does not have that "it" factor in the game, and I do think the "it" factor stretches onto the media. That's not to say she isn't great. After all, I don't feel that LL has it either, or Ford, or even LJ.

PostPosted: 02/26/07 7:01 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

mercfan3 wrote:
dtsnms wrote:

Yeah, about the same thing...like I said, the best way to see the difference is look at Tiger and VJ when Tiger was slumping. We still saw every shot of Tiger's because there was just something about him, something exciting..where as, VJ was dominating, and nobody cared.

I guess for me, Parker does not have that "it" factor in the game, and I do think the "it" factor stretches onto the media. That's not to say she isn't great. After all, I don't feel that LL has it either, or Ford, or even LJ.

If the "it" factor is what you're talking about, then I definitely disagree. I personally get excited every time she gets the ball. Especially in the open court. I don't know whether she's going to dunk it or throw a no look pass to one of her teammates. Yesterday, Parker stuffed a Vandy players shot, caught it near the baseline, dribbled out of traffic, went behind her back between two players and then threw a no look pass to Hornbuckle, which Alexis commenced to missing Mad .

She certainly has more of an "it" factor to me than Whalen. I guess we look at "it" differently.

bigbri131014

PostPosted: 02/26/07 7:56 pm    ::: Re: Support WCBB first Reply Reply with quote

Slovydal wrote:
Daddychoc wrote:

we're haters Slovy..you hate on players on your own team.. and i hate because i am a Uconn fan Rolling Eyes DAMN it Slovy get it together!! Laughing

Slovydal

PostPosted: 02/26/07 8:02 pm    ::: Re: Support WCBB first Reply Reply with quote

bigbri131014 wrote:
Slovydal wrote:
Daddychoc wrote:

we're haters Slovy..you hate on players on your own team.. and i hate because i am a Uconn fan Rolling Eyes DAMN it Slovy get it together!! Laughing

I'm just grateful that Daddychoke is around to set us straight.

Rolling Eyes

bigbri131014

PostPosted: 02/26/07 8:03 pm    ::: Re: Support WCBB first Reply Reply with quote

Slovydal wrote:
bigbri131014 wrote:
Slovydal wrote:
Daddychoc wrote:

I'm just grateful that Daddychoke is around to set us straight.

Rolling Eyes

You and Me both Smile

dtsnms

PostPosted: 02/26/07 9:30 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

luvDhoops wrote:
mercfan3 wrote:
dtsnms wrote:

If the "it" factor is what you're talking about, then I definitely disagree. I personally get excited every time she gets the ball. Especially in the open court. I don't know whether she's going to dunk it or throw a no look pass to one of her teammates. Yesterday, Parker stuffed a Vandy players shot, caught it near the baseline, dribbled out of traffic, went behind her back between two players and then threw a no look pass to Hornbuckle, which Alexis commenced to missing Mad .

She certainly has more of an "it" factor to me than Whalen. I guess we look at "it" differently.

I agree with LDH here....Parker IMO is the single most exciting player in women's college ball.

dtsnms

PostPosted: 02/26/07 9:32 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Guys, DaddyC. is cool. He's just real passionate in his opinions, like so many of his. I don't see a real argument here. Remember also, and give some credit that this is a big UConn fan giving those props to CP

bigbri131014

PostPosted: 02/26/07 9:34 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

dtsnms wrote:
Guys, DaddyC. is cool. He's just real passionate in his opinions, like so many of his. I don't see a real argument here. Remember also, and give some credit that this is a big UConn fan giving those props to CP

He took it out of context which i already knew someone would.. the intentions of the thread wasnt to bash anyone. If some took the time to read the initial post i clearly state that i think CP3 is a great player. If saying she needs an attitude adjust is "bashing" her than i am guilty as charged i suppose...

dtsnms

PostPosted: 02/26/07 9:37 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

bigbri131014 wrote:
dtsnms wrote:

He took it out of context which i already knew someone would.. the intentions of the thread wasnt to bash anyone. If some took the time to read the initial post i clearly state that i think CP3 is a great player. If saying she needs an attitude adjust is "bashing" her than i am guilty as charged i suppose...

I know he did; but bri, we all do it some times too, either take out of context or disagree. You know, personally I just think it's a freaking riot that after all these years about hearing the bullshit about Diana's personality that now someone on UT is getting the same crap!

Slovydal

PostPosted: 02/26/07 9:39 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

There was no excuse for accusing any of us of not being "REAL" basketball fans or of being "haters" just because we have a bipartisan discussion about a talented young star needing to grow up a little.

Daddychoc

PostPosted: 02/27/07 1:23 am    ::: either or? Reply Reply with quote

is this about CP3's attitude?
Why the "CP3 vs DT3" in the subject line?

I think folks need to go back and review some of DT3 games without the blue-tinted shades.

All the good/great players complain, ALL OF THEM!

BTW you cant survive is sports without ATTITUDE.
Did Barbara Turner have a attitude "problem" or was she just firery?

Attitude is not kicking chairs or throwing the ball into the stands. Its saying "yeah I'm bad" or clapping your hands after a made BASKET (check out Tina Charles lately), Renee pulling out her mouthpiece questioning a refs call (getting a understanding) and "I" have no problem with it.

I'm glad to hear that she's (CP3) talented.

Dont fall for the rivalry stuff, enjoy the game any game!

Slovydal

PostPosted: 02/27/07 8:41 am    ::: Re: either or? Reply Reply with quote

Daddychoc wrote:
is this about CP3's attitude?
Why the "CP3 vs DT3" in the subject line?

I think folks need to go back and review some of DT3 games without the blue-tinted shades.

All the good/great players complain, ALL OF THEM!

Go back through the archives and read some of our discussions about The Diana's attitude.

The point that Bri made was that The Diana has a more likeable personality to "smooth over" the arrogance.

You have yet to grasp what Bri's post was even about.

caune

PostPosted: 02/27/07 8:59 am    ::: Re: either or? Reply Reply with quote

LOL< I will GLADLY cheer for the most arrogant team in the WNBA...we could use more attitude in the Desert Very Happy

PostPosted: 02/27/07 9:12 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Slovydal wrote:
There was no excuse for accusing any of us of not being "REAL" basketball fans or of being "haters" just because we have a bipartisan discussion about a talented young star needing to grow up a little.

Can you explain that to me? What does she have to grow up a little about?

Not barging in, but I thought Daddychoc's posts were really responses to bballjunkee212's post and not the original post by bigbri131014.

Slovydal

PostPosted: 02/27/07 10:18 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

luvDhoops wrote:
Slovydal wrote:

Can you explain that to me? What does she have to grow up a little about?

Not barging in, but I thought Daddychoc's posts were really responses to bballjunkee212's post and not the original post by bigbri131014.

LuvD,

It's just like Bri and a few others have said here, She'll likely "grow" into a more marketable personality in a couple years. That's not meant as a put down although I suppose it could be misunderstood as such. I think Bri made a very good observation about a very good player.

As for Daddy's posts (and Gpark33's as well) if one is posting in response to a particular person they have every opportunity to clarify that. Gpark did that and quickly cleared up any confusion there may have been.
Daddy did not, but rather attacked those of us who responded to him and suggested that we weren't "REAL" basketball fans. It was when he entered the conversation that it took a turn for the worse.
Besides, for someone who registered at this board just four months ago to pass judgement on people he knows nothing about is absurd.

Daddychoc

PostPosted: 02/27/07 11:25 am    ::: LOL Reply Reply with quote

I dont qualify because its been only 4 months, ok!

I dont need to clear up anything to "please" anyone. I voiced my opinion and if you dont "agree" to it, thats cool.

If you dont think CP3 is "marketable" right now something is wrong.

Coca Cola, Pepsi, Chevy, Nike, Adidas, WNBA, Frito Lays ALL are aware that "on court" behavior is different from private life behavior (heard anything about CP3 off-court behaviors?)

CP3 is sort of like LeBron on the court (complaining to the refs and all) and if you want to compare her to a female check out DT3 during a Mercury games.

CP3 will be fine in the future ..........

LOL my 4 month opinion, now thats funny!

Archives about DT3, do you have any on Swoops too? How about Leslie?

I guess Geno nor Pat can sign up and post today, they need to be a member for 2 yrs or better to know what they're talking about.

I agree CP3 needs to adjust her attitude if she wants to make it bigtime (crazy)

I'll let you have the last have the last word since you been a member longer.

BigBri you still cool, wassup with Janet & JD. I heard they broke up!

bigbri131014

PostPosted: 02/27/07 12:31 pm    ::: Re: LOL Reply Reply with quote

Daddychoc wrote:
I dont qualify because its been only 4 months, ok!

I dont need to clear up anything to "please" anyone. I voiced my opinion and if you dont "agree" to it, thats cool.

If you dont think CP3 is "marketable" right now something is wrong.

Coca Cola, Pepsi, Chevy, Nike, Adidas, WNBA, Frito Lays ALL are aware that "on court" behavior is different from private life behavior (heard anything about CP3 off-court behaviors?)

CP3 is sort of like LeBron on the court (complaining to the refs and all) and if you want to compare her to a female check out DT3 during a Mercury games.

CP3 will be fine in the future ..........

LOL my 4 month opinion, now thats funny!

Archives about DT3, do you have any on Swoops too? How about Leslie?

I guess Geno nor Pat can sign up and post today, they need to be a member for 2 yrs or better to know what they're talking about.

I agree CP3 needs to adjust her attitude if she wants to make it bigtime (crazy)

I'll let you have the last have the last word since you been a member longer.

BigBri you still cool, wassup with Janet & JD. I heard they broke up!

LOL janet and JD are not broken up haha..but thats another topic.. HEY dont try and get back on my good side by bringin up my weakness (janet) hahahahaha Wink

Daddychoc

PostPosted: 02/27/07 12:38 pm    ::: Good Side? Reply Reply with quote

Im on your bad side already? WOW! that was quick......

When does the "So Excited" tour start?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    RebKell's Junkie Boards Forum Index » NCAA Women's Basketball - General Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 2 of 4

Jump to: