RebKell's Junkie Boards
Board Junkies Forums

CP3 vs DT3
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    RebKell's Junkie Boards Forum Index » NCAA Women's Basketball - General Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
bigbri131014

PostPosted: 02/25/07 2:39 pm    ::: CP3 vs DT3 Reply Reply with quote

Alright as i was watching the UT vs Vandy game i noticed something. How much Candace Parker bitches and complains about everything. And has this attitude about everything and she is another "i dont foul". Before people start cutting off my head and surving it on a orange platter (haha) I am not saying this because i am a Uconn fan. Don't get me wrong CP3 is a GREAT player. But i think her likeablity is less than that of DT3 the other "great one".

I do realize that not everyone liked DT3 but i believe that she got more fans because of her style of play and her attitude. You didn't see the other "great ones" (Catchings Holdsclaw Bird etc) have an attitude as big as Parkers. Example when she got fouled it looked like the camera got her saying get that Bitch off me. Is it really nessary to stare down your oppoent after you score a bucket? We realize Candace that your talent is far beyond an avg college basketball player, but personally i think she needs to stay in college another 2 years to grow up alittle.

Okay i am ready for the attacks and the ones who will read to much into this post!

mikeyc22

PostPosted: 02/25/07 2:54 pm    ::: Re: CP3 vs DT3 Reply Reply with quote

bigbri131014 wrote:
Alright as i was watching the UT vs Vandy game i noticed something. How much Candace Parker bitches and complains about everything. And has this attitude about everything and she is another "i dont foul". Before people start cutting off my head and surving it on a orange platter (haha) I am not saying this because i am a Uconn fan. Don't get me wrong CP3 is a GREAT player. But i think her likeablity is less than that of DT3 the other "great one".

I do realize that not everyone liked DT3 but i believe that she got more fans because of her style of play and her attitude. You didn't see the other "great ones" (Catchings Holdsclaw Bird etc) have an attitude as big as Parkers. Example when she got fouled it looked like the camera got her saying get that Bitch off me. Is it really nessary to stare down your oppoent after you score a bucket? We realize Candace that your talent is far beyond an avg college basketball player, but personally i think she needs to stay in college another 2 years to grow up alittle.

Okay i am ready for the attacks and the ones who will read to much into this post!

I agree. She is so good, she does not need to put the dramatics into it. I saw her stare into the camera and do that. She acts like she never fouls. If she loses the drama, she will earn a lot more respect than she has in my book.

SuziQ

PostPosted: 02/25/07 2:58 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Funny. When I saw the title for this post, I thought it was in relation to the thought I had while watching the game - if CP does declare for the draft, and the Mercury take her, who gets to keep the #3? Smile

Different styles, different positions. I think you have to play much tougher in attitude when you're down low most of the time like CP is. Haven't you seen how much Yo glares? Snow argues calls all the time, too. Part of me just thinks it's slightly inherent to the position.

PostPosted: 02/25/07 3:00 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

SuziQ wrote:
Funny. When I saw the title for this post, I thought it was in relation to the thought I had while watching the game - if CP does declare for the draft, and the Mercury take her, who gets to keep the #3? Smile

Different styles, different positions. I think you have to play much tougher in attitude when you're down low most of the time like CP is. Haven't you seen how much Yo glares? Snow argues calls all the time, too. Part of me just thinks it's slightly inherent to the position.

luvDhoops

PostPosted: 02/25/07 3:13 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

SuziQ wrote:

Not taking up for her, but I kind of agree with this to a degree. I think she does talk to refs more than she should. At the same time though, post players get hacked a lot in the paint and the officials in the women's game are so inconsistent in the pros and college, I can certainly understand why there's a lot of talking going on. I can only imagine the type of hacking that goes on inside for a post player who is their team's go-to player. I think Tina Thompson does a lot of talking too.

mercfan3

PostPosted: 02/25/07 3:16 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Parker does not have a media personality like DT did. She doesn't have quotes that still make you giggle years later, and you don't see the joy in her game that you saw in Diana's. Parker's going to get a lot of endorsements because of her looks and talent, where as Taurasi got them because of how much of a personality she is.

I don't know, I think a lot of people don't like the fire, intesnity, passion whatever you want to call it that players like Diana, Kara Lawson and now Latta Ivory have. I think they are sort of Love them or hate them.

From what I've seen of her, I can't understand how you could hate Diana Taurasi the person...I don't hold not being "little miss smiley" against Parker. Some people just can't stand being in the light, or are naturally shy...she's more of a Kobe or a VJ and Annika, where as Taurasi is more of a Tiger, an MJ, or Michelle Wie..

I've stated it before, there are amazing athletes, and special athletes. To me, watching the special athletes are like watching a storm or an explosion...you are drawn into them. Michelle Wie isn't the best golfer on tour, but because of her aura people still watch her. She says things that she probably shouldn't say, she does what she wants, and when she plays..whether she's exploding and +7, or whether she's close to the men's cut, or leading on the women's tour...people watch. Tiger vs. VJ, sure Tiger's clearly had an amazing two years, but previously, when he was in his slump. We saw Tiger on every shot, even though VJ was kicking ass and taking names. To me, Diana, Sheryl Swoopes, Lindsay Whalen..they all have that aura about them (although Diana and Sheryl have more of the complete package. It's why Diana's 49 point game was talked about in every sports show, and LL's wasn't mentioned.( except Sheryl is more diplomatic/political..where as Diana will feed you bullshit, but say what she wants to say.) Which is where I bring it back to Parker. I don't believe she has that whole package. I think she's an Annika. I think if she couldn't dunk, she wouldn't get nearly as much media attention as she does. Because she's an amazing athlete, but she isn't a personality. And because she's cocky, she rubs people the wrong way.

PostPosted: 02/25/07 3:27 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

mercfan3 wrote:
Parker does not have a media personality like DT did. She doesn't have quotes that still make you giggle years later, and you don't see the joy in her game that you saw in Diana's. Parker's going to get a lot of endorsements because of her looks and talent, where as Taurasi got them because of how much of a personality she is.

I don't know, I think a lot of people don't like the fire, intesnity, passion whatever you want to call it that players like Diana, Kara Lawson and now Latta Ivory have. I think they are sort of Love them or hate them.

From what I've seen of her, I can't understand how you could hate Diana Taurasi the person...I don't hold not being "little miss smiley" against Parker. Some people just can't stand being in the light, or are naturally shy...she's more of a Kobe or a VJ and Annika, where as Taurasi is more of a Tiger, an MJ, or Michelle Wie..

I've stated it before, there are amazing athletes, and special athletes. To me, watching the special athletes are like watching a storm or an explosion...you are drawn into them. Michelle Wie isn't the best golfer on tour, but because of her aura people still watch her. She says things that she probably shouldn't say, she does what she wants, and when she plays..whether she's exploding and +7, or whether she's close to the men's cut, or leading on the women's tour...people watch. Tiger vs. VJ, sure Tiger's clearly had an amazing two years, but previously, when he was in his slump. We saw Tiger on every shot, even though VJ was kicking ass and taking names. To me, Diana, Sheryl Swoopes, Lindsay Whalen..they all have that aura about them (although Diana and Sheryl have more of the complete package. It's why Diana's 49 point game was talked about in every sports show, and LL's wasn't mentioned.( except Sheryl is more diplomatic/political..where as Diana will feed you bullshit, but say what she wants to say.) Which is where I bring it back to Parker. I don't believe she has that whole package. I think she's an Annika. I think if she couldn't dunk, she wouldn't get nearly as much media attention as she does. Because she's an amazing athlete, but she isn't a personality. And because she's cocky, she rubs people the wrong way.

I'd take Whalen out of that category. Nothing against Whalen. She seems just as quiet, "smileless" and lacking a certain charisma as Parker. Honestly, I've seen Parker smile three times as much as Whalen, which has been never. I love Whalen though. If ever anyone reads her blogs, they are funny as hell. Actually, if you ever listen to Parker in an informal interview, you'll notice she has a similar sense of humor as Whalen.

bballjunkee212

PostPosted: 02/25/07 3:56 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

If ESPN hadn't already ordained that Candace Parker was "The Best Player in America," we wouldn't even be talking about her game. We would be talking about Courtney Paris and Lindsay Harding. Paris clearly has better numbers, playing in a major conference. Harding is emerging as the go to player on the best team in the country. And if we weren't forced into talking about Parker as "TBPiA," nobody would care that she doesn't think her stuff stinks when the whistles blow.

And as for talking about Parker and DT in the same breath, let's please table that discussion until Parker has three NC rings.

PostPosted: 02/25/07 4:11 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

bballjunkee212 wrote:
If ESPN hadn't already ordained that Candace Parker was "The Best Player in America," we wouldn't even be talking about her game. We would be talking about Courtney Paris and Lindsay Harding. Paris clearly has better numbers, playing in a major conference. Harding is emerging as the go to player on the best team in the country. And if we weren't forced into talking about Parker as "TBPiA," nobody would care that she doesn't think her stuff stinks when the whistles blow.

And as for talking about Parker and DT in the same breath, let's please table that discussion until Parker has three NC rings.

Dang.. iight and i am glad people arent bashing my head in for saying what i said.. then again this isnt the ESPN board.

Slovydal

PostPosted: 02/25/07 4:27 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

bigbri131014 wrote:
Dang.. iight and i am glad people arent bashing my head in for saying what i said.. then again this isnt the ESPN board.

I'm a Lady Vols fan, but I have to agree with you Bri.

Queenie

PostPosted: 02/25/07 5:00 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

SuziQ wrote:

I'm thinking that might be the only way Parker can be drafted by the Mercury without the universe imploding- they end up in a death match and one eliminates the other, thus preventing the UConn/Tennessee/Rutgers matter/antimatter/antiantimatter reaction.

PostPosted: 02/25/07 5:15 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

bballjunkee212 wrote:

Why? If you're talking stats, then Parker has better numbers than Harding. If you're talking about the team's ranking and sos, Tennessee is #2 in the country, far ahead of OK and just one behind Duke. Yet, according to you those two players deserve far more "talk" than Parker?

gpark33

PostPosted: 02/25/07 6:45 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

bballjunkee212 wrote:

So riddle me this...

If Parker sucks so bad, why is it that ESPN has "ordained" her as you say? Dunks? The dunks count for many fewer points than she is averaging per game. Whether you like her or not, she's a great player and she has totally taken this team on her back. And right now, her back is managing the weight of the #2 team in the country.

I think Paris and Harding are also fantastic players and any of the 3 could be just as deserving as the other for POY.

You should be applauding Parker for bringing positive attention to this game instead of trying to beat her down.

bigbri131014

PostPosted: 02/25/07 11:14 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

gpark33 wrote:
bballjunkee212 wrote:

So riddle me this...

If Parker sucks so bad, why is it that ESPN has "ordained" her as you say? Dunks? The dunks count for many fewer points than she is averaging per game. Whether you like her or not, she's a great player and she has totally taken this team on her back. And right now, her back is managing the weight of the #2 team in the country.

I think Paris and Harding are also fantastic players and any of the 3 could be just as deserving as the other for POY.

You should be applauding Parker for bringing positive attention to this game instead of trying to beat her down.

no one is beating her down..

gpark33

PostPosted: 02/25/07 11:33 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

bigbri131014 wrote:

no one is beating her down..

That was not directed towards you. That was directed toward the person quoted who continues (in multiple threads) to try to belittle Parker's accomplishments and talent and pass them off as marketing and racism.

You have your opinions on how you perceive her attitude and you are entitled to that. I think she has attitude too, I like her attitude b/c I am a fan of her team.

Daddychoc

PostPosted: 02/25/07 11:49 pm    ::: UConn fan Reply Reply with quote

putting down a Tenn fan will "never" work and vice versa.

UConn folks need to get over DT3, she's gone. Its hard to compare the 2 because of the positions & the way the game is played today.

That we have 6, They have 5 sh.. is getting old too.

Cheer on your team, when and if they meet you can then start talking sh..

If you think either CP3 or DT3 is a SLOUCH you're a darn fool.

Who won the title the last 2 season, neither UConn or Tenn.

OOC, RPI, SOS geesh get over it, for you older poster how did you gauge a team back in the 60's & 70's? I think it was just the record, Win-Loss! Dont let those initials fool you, anybody can be beaten at any given time.

Grown a.. folks bickering back and forth like 11 year old girls in grammar school. Its not that serious!

Who was the best before Cheryl Miller, before Holdsclaw, before Diana, before Candace? WHO GOT NEXT?

Give it a rest! I understand why some players walk away from the game. Sometimes the expectations are sooooo high FANS forget how the player truly feels. (grades, aling friends/family, distance from home, no money, boy/girl friends etc) Its bigger than basketball sometimes!

Imagine if this teenagers/young ladies really read these boards.

I think your daughter would be crushed if she logged on to the internet and read grown a** people who DONT know her BASHING HER.

Personally I enjoy every player that dons a college jersey. I love to see them striding for that DEGREE.

Enjoy the ride! April 10th its all over!

bigbri131014

PostPosted: 02/26/07 12:20 am    ::: Re: UConn fan Reply Reply with quote

Daddychoc wrote:
putting down a Tenn fan will "never" work and vice versa.

UConn folks need to get over DT3, she's gone. Its hard to compare the 2 because of the positions & the way the game is played today.

That we have 6, They have 5 sh.. is getting old too.

Cheer on your team, when and if they meet you can then start talking sh..

If you think either CP3 or DT3 is a SLOUCH you're a darn fool.

Who won the title the last 2 season, neither UConn or Tenn.

OOC, RPI, SOS geesh get over it, for you older poster how did you gauge a team back in the 60's & 70's? I think it was just the record, Win-Loss! Dont let those initials fool you, anybody can be beaten at any given time.

Grown a.. folks bickering back and forth like 11 year old girls in grammar school. Its not that serious!

Who was the best before Cheryl Miller, before Holdsclaw, before Diana, before Candace? WHO GOT NEXT?

Give it a rest! I understand why some players walk away from the game. Sometimes the expectations are sooooo high FANS forget how the player truly feels. (grades, aling friends/family, distance from home, no money, boy/girl friends etc) Its bigger than basketball sometimes!

Imagine if this teenagers/young ladies really read these boards.

I think your daughter would be crushed if she logged on to the internet and read grown a** people who DONT know her BASHING HER.

Personally I enjoy every player that dons a college jersey. I love to see them striding for that DEGREE.

Enjoy the ride! April 10th its all over!

I see this thread taking a turn for the worst.. wonderful.. Confused

mandih23

PostPosted: 02/26/07 12:25 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

You know what is REALLY great?... we get to witness both of these phenomenal athletes, we don't have to choose one or the other, we can watch both. We don't have to decide who is better and watch one.

Daddychoc

PostPosted: 02/26/07 12:54 am    ::: WORST? Reply Reply with quote

its just the truth. you got what you wanted, this debate can go on forever.

Ask that question on the Summitt or the Boneyard and see what you get.

Diana was good at UConn back then, CP3 is good at Tenn right now. Does injuries count. I thought when you come back from a MAJOR injury to dont really get it all back, is that true. So we're not seeing the "Real" CP3?

Is Mel better that what Maria was at UConn?
Holdsclaw or Parker?
Renee or Rita?
Lawson or Hornbuckle?
Bobbitt or Latta?
Zolman vs Waner?
Ajsha Jones or Tamika Williams
Mulkey or Pokey

You will get 10,000 different answers.

bigbri131014

PostPosted: 02/26/07 3:11 am    ::: Re: WORST? Reply Reply with quote

Daddychoc wrote:
its just the truth. you got what you wanted, this debate can go on forever.

Ask that question on the Summitt or the Boneyard and see what you get.

Diana was good at UConn back then, CP3 is good at Tenn right now. Does injuries count. I thought when you come back from a MAJOR injury to dont really get it all back, is that true. So we're not seeing the "Real" CP3?

Is Mel better that what Maria was at UConn?
Holdsclaw or Parker?
Renee or Rita?
Lawson or Hornbuckle?
Bobbitt or Latta?
Zolman vs Waner?
Ajsha Jones or Tamika Williams
Mulkey or Pokey

You will get 10,000 different answers.

i didnt question who was the better player.. i just stated that CP3 needs an attitude and i also clearly stated that i thought parker was a great player. I enjoy watching her play when the attitude is left at the door.

Daddychoc

PostPosted: 02/26/07 8:49 am    ::: Support WCBB first Reply Reply with quote

Parker may be responding to all the critics.

Remember she was called "soft" last season, didnt get rebounds etc. CP3 is in their banging now, mixing it up. She may be a lil suprised with the roughhousing that goes on down there.

Now that she know how to "beat" the ruff stuff she's having a lil fun (stares, girl you cant check me) with it. She may think that the refs give her a hard time because they never reffed a game with a player of her type.

Why cant Parker's SWAGGER be embraced like DT3's was? Well I guess it is byt the Tenn fans, so its normal that if Tenn isn't your team that means you dont care for the players.

"REAL" basketball fans will appreciate the game and the players that play it even if they're not on "your" team.

Who's the next MOST HATED after CP3 leaves Tenn?

caune

PostPosted: 02/26/07 9:09 am    ::: Re: Support WCBB first Reply Reply with quote

Well I cannot wait till May when we'll see them both playing on the same team Wink
It's going to be sick!

and CP can be number 33 Cool

PostPosted: 02/26/07 9:19 am    ::: Re: Support WCBB first Reply Reply with quote

Daddychoc wrote:
Parker may be responding to all the critics.

Remember she was called "soft" last season, didnt get rebounds etc. CP3 is in their banging now, mixing it up. She may be a lil suprised with the roughhousing that goes on down there.

Now that she know how to "beat" the ruff stuff she's having a lil fun (stares, girl you cant check me) with it. She may think that the refs give her a hard time because they never reffed a game with a player of her type.

Why cant Parker's SWAGGER be embraced like DT3's was? Well I guess it is byt the Tenn fans, so its normal that if Tenn isn't your team that means you dont care for the players.

"REAL" basketball fans will appreciate the game and the players that play it even if they're not on "your" team.

Who's the next MOST HATED after CP3 leaves Tenn?

It's best to have some grasp of what someone's talking about before you respond.

Go back and read Bri's post.

SuziQ

PostPosted: 02/26/07 2:02 pm    ::: Re: Support WCBB first Reply Reply with quote

caune wrote:
Well I cannot wait till May when we'll see them both playing on the same team Wink
It's going to be sick!

and CP can be number 33 Cool

That's what I figured, C. And if CP adjusts her hair style a little, it can be "Double the pleasure, double the bun!"

I've never liked to argue over "who's the best", because it always comes down to personal opinion/preference, which is not necessarily logical or statistical. They're both great, and will be putting a lot of butts in the seats at USAC (from my lips to God's ears).

Quote:
I'm thinking that might be the only way Parker can be drafted by the Mercury without the universe imploding- they end up in a death match and one eliminates the other, thus preventing the UConn/Tennessee/Rutgers matter/antimatter/antiantimatter reaction.

Queenie, a matter/antimatter engine sure got the Starship Enterprise to alot of galaxies - I'd LOVE to see how far my gals could go with that kind of energy! And NO, I'm not giving up hope until draft day, dammit.

PostPosted: 02/26/07 2:14 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

luvDhoops wrote:
mercfan3 wrote:

I'd take Whalen out of that category. Nothing against Whalen. She seems just as quiet, "smileless" and lacking a certain charisma as Parker. Honestly, I've seen Parker smile three times as much as Whalen, which has been never. I love Whalen though. If ever anyone reads her blogs, they are funny as hell. Actually, if you ever listen to Parker in an informal interview, you'll notice she has a similar sense of humor as Whalen.

But even being "smileless" she's sort of the third person in the W that I'd list in that category as special when watching her. But she is sort of inbetween...(maybe like a Steve Nash) She doesn't have the media personality, the complete package, but when you watch her you do get that feeling that you are "watching a Storm"

I feel that way about Latta as well, (although much more people dislike her antics..) but I feel that way, because I think that sort of "watching a storm" thing is why she gets far more attention than Larkins does.

But anyway, to continue with whats going on in this thread. I believe Parker gets as much media attention as she does because of her ability to dunk (and her looks aren't a bad thing) I'm not saying she's not an amazing basketball player, but their are plenty of amazing basketball player's (Paris..Harding) that don't get that amount of attention. She's not a "personality" which was what Taurasi was/is.

Diana's cockieness/swagger was ignored/embraced because of her huge personality. Where as Parker is quiet but arrogant. She clearly doesn't want to talk to any media members, and when she does she's not going to make you chuckle at what she says. She's got a "get the job done" personality. And there isn't anything wrong with that. It's just different, and not as likely to be embraced by as many people. And I for one will not be upset if she ends up on my favorite WNBA team.

Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 1 of 4

Jump to: