RebKell's Junkie Boards
Board Junkies Forums

Issues the NCAA should worry about.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    RebKell's Junkie Boards Forum Index » NCAA Women's Basketball - General Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Sec310

PostPosted: 12/19/06 10:21 pm    ::: Issues the NCAA should worry about. Reply Reply with quote

The NCAA committee on women's athletics should worry about:

Refs for women's games get the same pay and per diem as refs for men's games.

Male coaches, who have never coached girls or women's basketball before, getting head and assistant coaching jobs in WBB.

Schools that keep head coaches for too long. As a general rule, if after five years a coach hasn't had a winning season, it's time to for that coach to go. And even a winning season playing a weak schedule, isn't something to brag about.

PurdueBBall3

PostPosted: 12/19/06 10:38 pm    ::: Re: Issues the NCAA should worry about. Reply Reply with quote

Sec310 wrote:
The NCAA committee on women's athletics should worry about:

Refs for women's games get the same pay and per diem as refs for men's games.

Male coaches, who have never coached girls or women's basketball before, getting head and assistant coaching jobs in WBB.

Yes, yes, YES! YES!!!!!!!!!!!!!

womens_hoops

PostPosted: 12/19/06 11:24 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Pay for coaches. Facilities. Travel accommodations.

Sexual abuse of athletes by coaches, including high school and AAU coaches.

Title IX enforcement, or lack thereof. The "three prong" test, and the 2005 "Further Clarification."

GlennMacGrady

PostPosted: 12/20/06 1:53 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

I wonder if the NCAA has a CMA.

The CWA should worry about sexual abuse, but they don't have any authority over high school or AAU, where most of the known problems seem to arise. (Much belated kudos to the Womenshoopsblog for terrific coverage of the Rick Lopez nightmare.)

I don't think the NCAA should get involved in decisions as to what coaches should be hired or fired. Less of the NCAA is better. Try to read the recruiting rules some day. You will yearn for something light ... like the Internal Revenue Code.

As to the losing record theory of dumping coaches, I will confidently predict that 50% of college coaches this year will have losing records. And next year. And even if they cloned 5,000 copies of your favorite coach (say, Maureen Muth), I predict 50% of them would have a losing record, too. Then, the bottom tenth of 1% of those will go into WNBA coach candidate pool.

womens_hoops

PostPosted: 12/20/06 2:01 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

GlennMacGrady wrote:
The CWA should worry about sexual abuse, but they don't have any authority over high school or AAU, where most of the known problems seem to arise. (Much belated kudos to the Womenshoopsblog for terrific coverage of the Rick Lopez nightmare.)

thank you, my friend.

We don't have much control. But maybe we can find a way to exert a little. We empower the sick fucks like Lopez by sucking up to them in recruiting. Ask Ceal Berry.

Maybe there's some way, through recruiting rules, that we could do something. AAU (last I checked) didn't have any policy at all on sexual abuse by coaches. No background checks, no training, no warning to parents, nothing. Maybe the NCAA could say something like "Coaches can't recruit at events unless the coordinators have some sexual abuse policy."

I don't know... I'm just spitballing.

GlennMacGrady

PostPosted: 12/20/06 2:16 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

I remember the sickening feeling I had when I read: "He had Geno Auriemma's number on his cell phone speed dial."

Maybe this rule: No NCAA coach can ever talk to an AAU coach who is sleeping in a recruit's house.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    RebKell's Junkie Boards Forum Index » NCAA Women's Basketball - General Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: