RebKell's Junkie Boards
Board Junkies Forums

Rained out game!
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    RebKell's Junkie Boards Forum Index » NCAA Women's Basketball - General Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
SuziQ

PostPosted: 12/19/06 1:41 am    ::: Rained out game! Reply Reply with quote

So, not only was the ASU vs. Texas Tech game outdoors, it got called on account of rain w/ 4:18 left! Gotta be a Guiness Book of World Records sort of thing.

It didn't rain really hard, but since it made the court wet, they called it to avoid risking injury to the players. I don't know why they didn't close the roof just to keep the temperature a little higher as the night went on it got down to 50 degrees or a little lower.

Still, a fun experience. Haven't been rained out of a bball game since the playground days!

PostPosted: 12/19/06 2:01 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Here's a link to the game article on ESPN.com

http://sports.espn.go.com/ncw/recap?gameId=263520009

PostPosted: 12/19/06 8:21 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Very cool idea. Has anyone ever done this before?

PostPosted: 12/19/06 8:28 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

An outdoor night game in December. OMG. It well below freezing last night here in So. Cal. last night and in the 50s in Phoenix according to the paper. Brrrrr.

At least I was in a warm gym at Pepperdine to see UCSB win rather handily after being down by 15. I like this year's team a lot; not a senior in the bunch.

caune

PostPosted: 12/19/06 8:51 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

The weather was great courtside! I wore gloves but didn't need a coat, just my sweater...maybe the wine was keeping me warm Shocked That was the real advantage of the stadium game, drinks Wink

PostPosted: 12/19/06 9:17 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

I've been to two games, both in Indy, that were impacted by rain.

The first one was during the Big 10 tourney a few years ago at the RCA Dome. It was raining hard and the dome started to leak. At first, it was just in the stands and people opened their umbrellas. Then it started to leak over the court. Delayed the game for a while.

Then, there was a Fever/Mystic game that was postponed because the Mystics couldn't fly out of DC because of storms.

PostPosted: 12/19/06 9:35 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Football indoors. Basketball outdoors. Is this a topsy-turvy world or what?

PostPosted: 12/19/06 9:39 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

caune wrote:
The weather was great courtside! I wore gloves but didn't need a coat, just my sweater...maybe the wine was keeping me warm Shocked That was the real advantage of the stadium game, drinks Wink

Ahhh, now I get it Laughing

PUmatty

PostPosted: 12/19/06 12:13 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

bballjunkee212 wrote:

I really hate football indoors. I can't wait until the Colts get their new stadium.

bballfan2005

PostPosted: 12/19/06 1:13 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

PUmatty wrote:
I really hate football indoors. I can't wait until the Colts get their new stadium.

I'm not an elements person, so I prefer domes to open-roof stadiums. I just don't like the idea of freezing my butt off while trying to keep track of a game.

Retractable roof stadiums might be the way to go for all teams. That way, fans can enjoy watching their teams play in warm weather in August/September and not have to worry about snow/sleet/etc. in December/January.

Mathies to LA 2013
bballjunkee212

PostPosted: 12/19/06 1:31 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Nah, open stadia with natural turf is the way to go in football-- the elements are supposed to be part of the game. Basketball should be played in arenas that are warm enough for the players to sweat in their uniforms-- and the arenas should smell of fresh popcorn.

PostPosted: 12/19/06 1:34 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

There's nothing quite as fun as watching a football game that's right in the middle of a blizzard or a total downpour. That's what makes football football. Love it!

PostPosted: 12/19/06 2:36 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

shizanna wrote:
There's nothing quite as fun as watching a football game that's right in the middle of a blizzard or a total downpour. That's what makes football football. Love it!

I'm with you on that one, football is maent to be played in the cold, really cold, and real fans suffer with their teams...can you tell I grew up going to Lambeau field Wink

The football stadium here has a retractable roof but whiny people complain about the sun in their eyes so they've kept it closed, even on beautiful 68 degree days Rolling Eyes They spent a shitload of my taxplayer dollars on that retractable roof, I sure wish they'd retract it!

PostPosted: 12/19/06 2:42 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Orange][Krush wrote:
Very cool idea. Has anyone ever done this before?

ASU did it a few years ago against Tennessee and nearly pulled out an upset.

SuziQ

PostPosted: 12/19/06 2:47 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

I still have no clue why they didn't just close the roof and finish the game. It wasn't raining that hard, and it didn't last that long. TT's coach wondered why, too.

Here's a link to the local paper's coverage of the game:
http://www.azcentral.com/sports/asu/articles/1219asubkw1219.html

And this is a link to Paola Boivin's commentary about it - CTT's reason for doing this game is pretty damn funny:
http://www.azcentral.com/sports/columns/articles/1219boivin1219.html

Heck, typical Phoenicians get cold if it drops below 80, so 45 - 50 was "I'm wearing thermal underwear" weather. (Caune is not a typical Phoenician, she's not typical at all! Laughing ) It started getting really cold to me after halftime. We walked around to warm up a bit, but then the wind started kicking up some, and that's when we whipped out the blankets. Still, lots of fun.

PostPosted: 12/19/06 3:10 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

SuziQ wrote:
I still have no clue why they didn't just close the roof and finish the game. It wasn't raining that hard, and it didn't last that long. TT's coach wondered why, too.

Here's a link to the local paper's coverage of the game:
http://www.azcentral.com/sports/asu/articles/1219asubkw1219.html

And this is a link to Paola Boivin's commentary about it - CTT's reason for doing this game is pretty damn funny:
http://www.azcentral.com/sports/columns/articles/1219boivin1219.html

Heck, typical Phoenicians get cold if it drops below 80, so 45 - 50 was "I'm wearing thermal underwear" weather. (Caune is not a typical Phoenician, she's not typical at all! Laughing ) It started getting really cold to me after halftime. We walked around to warm up a bit, but then the wind started kicking up some, and that's when we whipped out the blankets. Still, lots of fun.

The court really was too wet, I know, I slipped helping put the tarp out. They probably could have dryed it but it would have been at least 45 minutes before they resumed play and they probably figured all the locals were too damn cold to stick around Wink

PostPosted: 12/19/06 3:17 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Well, then it's a good thing they did stop, then. You were much closer to the action, so I'm sure you know best.

Also, I thank you from the bottom of my heart for protecting, with your own two hands, our beloved Mercury court! I had nightmares thinking it would get warped from the rain. I suppose if all that spit Diana puts down hasn't ruined it, it can't be. Smile

PostPosted: 12/19/06 3:27 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Are there any rules governing a situation like this, be it rain, electrical failure, etc? How was ASU declared the winner, under what set of rules? Is there a minimum time required before a game is considered a final and wins and losses are put on your record?

tx4OU

PostPosted: 12/19/06 5:24 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Although, I think the idea is pretty cool (pun intended), the game is getting some criticism for not closing the roof and for the game being called with a W for ASU and an L for Tech by a lot of folks in B12 country.

Me personally, I think outdoor basketball should only be played in pools between the months of June and August. Very Happy

caune

PostPosted: 12/19/06 6:39 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

please go back and tell the complainers that the game was billed as, and agreed to by TT, as an OUTDOOR game...if the roof had been closed that kinda woulda defeated the purpose, no?

PostPosted: 12/19/06 9:25 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

I find it interesting that a team called the SUN Devils, had a problem with rain. Good thing the outdoor game wasn't played by the Seattle Storm. But maybe the Chicago Sky would have better luck outside. Smile

PostPosted: 12/19/06 11:19 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

PUmatty wrote:
bballjunkee212 wrote:

Well it is apparent your property taxes did not go through the roof to support those parasites.

umcp77

PostPosted: 12/20/06 10:28 am    ::: On the Arizona rainout... Reply Reply with quote

Quote:
Heck, typical Phoenicians get cold if it drops below 80, so 45 - 50 was "I'm wearing thermal underwear" weather.

If someone from Phoenix has thermal underwear, they're probably from Flagstaff.

PostPosted: 12/20/06 10:30 am    ::: Re: Rained out game! Reply Reply with quote

A different take on the game by the Texas Tech radio announcer.

http://www.williamsandhyatt.com/blog.htm

http://www.ncaa.org/sites/default/files/Baylor%2BPublic%2BInf%2BReport.pdf
potd41

PostPosted: 12/20/06 6:47 pm    ::: Re: Rained out game! Reply Reply with quote

DblT81 wrote:
A different take on the game by the Texas Tech radio announcer.

http://www.williamsandhyatt.com/blog.htm

Sounds like sour grapes to me....and no ASU doesn't need the publicity.
Their record speaks for itself.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    RebKell's Junkie Boards Forum Index » NCAA Women's Basketball - General Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: