RebKell's Junkie Boards
Board Junkies Forums

UT v. UT
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    RebKell's Junkie Boards Forum Index » NCAA Women's Basketball - General Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
bballfan2005

PostPosted: 12/17/06 2:00 pm    ::: UT v. UT Reply Reply with quote

15-8 Tennessee early on. Spencer's looking good so far.

Mathies to LA 2013
BBallFanCT729

PostPosted: 12/17/06 2:15 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Spencer is the only one who has really looked good so far.

Not the prettiest game.

Iluvacc

PostPosted: 12/17/06 2:16 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Alex Fuller is pretty good

pilight

PostPosted: 12/17/06 2:17 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

BBallFanCT729 wrote:
Not the prettiest game.

Definitely a bit of a grinder. Tennessee now up 11 with less than a minute left in the half.

PostPosted: 12/17/06 2:19 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

BBallFanCT729 wrote:
Spencer is the only one who has really looked good so far.

Not the prettiest game.

Idea

None of Tenn, televised games have looked pretty so far.

pilight

PostPosted: 12/17/06 2:22 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

LVs up 27-18 at the half. CP3 1/8 from the floor.

PostPosted: 12/17/06 2:26 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Iluvacc wrote:

She's starting to gain some confidence. With Parker struggling, Alex has to step up.

Someone please remind me what Alexis Hornbuckle has done lately to prove that she's one of the Top 50 players in the nation. Question

Watching halftime right now. "Flavor of Love" and "Grey's Anatomy" are two popular shows amongst the Big 12 players. Laughing

Mathies to LA 2013
Iluvacc

PostPosted: 12/17/06 2:31 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

bballfan2005 wrote:
Iluvacc wrote:

She's starting to gain some confidence. With Parker struggling, Alex has to step up.

Someone please remind me what Alexis Hornbuckle has done lately to prove that she's one of the Top 50 players in the nation. Question

Watching halftime right now. "Flavor of Love" and "Grey's Anatomy" are two popular shows amongst the Big 12 players. Laughing

Is Summitt's offense stiffling her? She has not played like the heralded superstar everyone was predicting her to be. That goes for her play the past 3 years.

mikey87

PostPosted: 12/17/06 2:35 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

I expect Candace to have a better 2nd half, But the VOLS have got to take better care of the ball and just keep Texas away with playing smart basketball.

bballfan2005

PostPosted: 12/17/06 2:56 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Iluvacc wrote:
Is Summitt's offense stiffling her? She has not played like the heralded superstar everyone was predicting her to be. That goes for her play the past 3 years.

While some of the blame goes on Summitt, you gotta blame Hornbuckle a bit for not diversifying her game. She's a junior guard yet she still can't shoot off the dribble. What's up with that?

Mathies to LA 2013
Iluvacc

PostPosted: 12/17/06 2:58 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

bballfan2005 wrote:
Iluvacc wrote:

While some of the blame goes on Summitt, you gotta blame Hornbuckle a bit for not diversifying her game. She's a junior guard yet she still can't shoot off the dribble. What's up with that?

True. I always thought Hornbuckle and not SWG would be the guard to leave the six-pack. Funny how things happen!

Exquisite

PostPosted: 12/17/06 3:15 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Barring a late run,Tennesse has got it.

PUmatty

PostPosted: 12/17/06 3:20 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Iluvacc wrote:
bballfan2005 wrote:
Iluvacc wrote:

True. I always thought Hornbuckle and not SWG would be the guard to leave the six-pack. Funny how things happen!

It's not jsut Hornbuckle. For all the talk of the great "6 Pack," shouldn't we be seeing more from Hornbuckle, Anosike and Fuller by now.

bballfan2005

PostPosted: 12/17/06 3:25 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

PUmatty wrote:
It's not jsut Hornbuckle. For all the talk of the great "6 Pack," shouldn't we be seeing more from Hornbuckle, Anosike and Fuller by now.

Fuller is healthy for the first time in her collegiate career. I do agree that we should've seen more from Anosike and Hornbuckle by now since it seems like both regressed since their freshman seasons.

Mathies to LA 2013
Exquisite

PostPosted: 12/17/06 3:28 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

21 pt. win 4 Tennessee.

PUmatty

PostPosted: 12/17/06 3:29 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

And with that, I hope people realize that Texas just isn't that good again this year.

Iluvacc

PostPosted: 12/17/06 3:31 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Yes, Fuller has battled through knee injuries and this is her first season at 100%. Now Hornbuckle and Anosike have no excuse for their lackluster play.

Iluvacc

PostPosted: 12/17/06 3:34 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

PUmatty wrote:
And with that, I hope people realize that Texas just isn't that good again this year.

Idea

bballfan2005

PostPosted: 12/17/06 3:36 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

I still don't know what to make of Texas. Right now, they're not nearly as good as most (including myself) thought they'd be. I personally didn't expect them to beat Duke or Tennessee because those two teams are just too strong and have played well against much better competition than the Longhorns. However, I did expect them to be competitive at home against a Tennessee team that has been enigmatic at both starting guard positions and was coming off a 10-day layoff due to exams. Scoring 45 points AT HOME signals to me that something STILL isn't right in Austin. This makes two straight seasons that Texas has lacked an offense.

The only reason why this game was close in the first half is because Tennessee was way too rusty coming off the exam break.

Mathies to LA 2013
bballfan2005

PostPosted: 12/17/06 3:40 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

PUmatty wrote:

X______________________

Didn't see this post before I posted.

I don't think Texas has defeated a NCAA caliber team so far this season. They've got a better record compared to this time last season, but they're still not competitive against better teams.

Mathies to LA 2013
PUmatty

PostPosted: 12/17/06 3:42 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

bballfan2005 wrote:
PUmatty wrote:

X______________________

Didn't see this post before I posted.

I don't think Texas has defeated a NCAA caliber team so far this season. They've got a better record compared to this time last season, but they're still not competitive against better teams.

There record is better, but the competition is worse. I can't decide whether I think their best win is agaisnt Oral Roberts or UL-Lafayette. If that is what I am struggling with, this isn't a team has done anything.

bballfan2005

PostPosted: 12/17/06 3:48 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

You're right, Matty. If you can't point out Texas' best win, that's not a good sign. Plus, they haven't won a single road game this season. All seven of their wins have come at home.

Despite all this, I do think Texas will be a better team when two things happen. One, Tiffany Jackson has to graduate and move on. The younger players spend way too much of their time watching Tiffany work/travel/shoot wild shots inside without providing any relief for the All-American candidate. Without Jackson as their "safety valve" (and I don't know how much of a "safety valve" she's been in big games), players like Arriaran, Hughes, Williams, and Raven will be forced to step up. Two, Jody Conradt HAS to change the offense. It's horrid and hasn't improved much from last season.

Mathies to LA 2013
pilight

PostPosted: 12/17/06 3:54 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Last year Texas's record was only slightly worse through ten games than it is this year, 6-4 vs 7-3. LY they had already won against a pretty good GW team and weren't embarrassed against Duke and Rutgers.

PostPosted: 12/17/06 3:59 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

bballfan2005 wrote:
You're right, Matty. If you can't point out Texas' best win, that's not a good sign. Plus, they haven't won a single road game this season. All seven of their wins have come at home.

Despite all this, I do think Texas will be a better team when two things happen. One, Tiffany Jackson has to graduate and move on. The younger players spend way too much of their time watching Tiffany work/travel/shoot wild shots inside without providing any relief for the All-American candidate. Without Jackson as their "safety valve" (and I don't know how much of a "safety valve" she's been in big games), players like Arriaran, Hughes, Williams, and Raven will be forced to step up. Two, Jody Conradt HAS to change the offense. It's horrid and hasn't improved much from last season.

LMAO!!!! That's really all she does in the paint.

NoDakSt

PostPosted: 12/17/06 4:13 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

The turnovers and lack of productivity aren't necessarily all Jackson's fault. Throughout the radio broadcast of the Tennessee game, the announcers mentioned that Jackson received the passes inside from the perimeter were rushed and often not well made so that Jackson had to take herself out of postion to get them. A similar thing happened against Duke, where the guards off-loaded the ball whenever they could and often times delivered it to Jackson when she was out of position to score. BUt that' what happens when you have a young team that gets frazzled and an inexpereinced point guard. I think posters are correct in that as Cortijo and Arriran become more comfortable and mature, they'll learn to handle this pressure better.

In addition to a different offense, Jody needs to also work on varying up defenses....again, with a young team of inexperienced players you're limited by their maturity curve...hopefully that changes next year.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    RebKell's Junkie Boards Forum Index » NCAA Women's Basketball - General Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: