RebKell's Junkie Boards
Board Junkies Forums

SI.com Power Rankings

Post new topic   Reply to topic    RebKell's Junkie Boards Forum Index » NCAA Women's Basketball - General Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
fancy_daniel

PostPosted: 12/12/06 3:42 pm    ::: SI.com Power Rankings Reply Reply with quote

http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/2006/writers/tracy_schultz/12/11/power.rankings/index.html

Hmmm??? They have Duke below Tennessee.

Ariz. St. and Baylor in the top-10.

California on there for the first time.

Texas A&M drops out.

ILUVBIGTEN

PostPosted: 12/12/06 10:38 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Sports Illustrated is a RAG.

umcp77

PostPosted: 12/13/06 2:32 am    ::: Uh, SI, hate to tell you this, but... Reply Reply with quote

Quote:
Maryland Terrapins (12-0)
The Terrapins head into a 10-day break having won 18-straight games. All five starters are averaging at least 10 points, and the Terps' closest game was Sunday's 11-point win over Temple. The team's biggest challenge of the season may be trying to work transfer Sa'de Wiley-Gatewood into the mix later this month.
Next three: 12/21 at Loyola; 12/29 vs. UNC-Greensboro; 12/30 vs. Liberty/Marist

Evidently someone forgot the closer-than-11-points opener at Middle Tennessee State.

PostPosted: 12/13/06 2:59 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

ILUVBIGTEN wrote:
Sports Illustrated is a RAG.

Yeah, but it's nice to get noticed in something other than ESPN.

JACKOWACKO

PostPosted: 12/13/06 8:52 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

3 best teams from what Ive seen so far, are...

1-Terps
2-Duke
3-Unc
4-Vols

after that you can toss up a bunch of teams.

Those are the big 4 though imo.

Go ACC?

PostPosted: 12/14/06 1:49 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

No Oklahoma?

BlueHillbilly

PostPosted: 12/15/06 1:39 am    ::: Re: SI.com Power Rankings Reply Reply with quote

From SI:

Georgia Bulldogs (7-1)
I'm going to chalk up a loss to Middle Tennessee State to the Bulldogs underestimating their opponent. Still, Georgia has no business losing to Middle Tennessee State.

No business?

If SI is going to write about it, they need to do some research on the "other" teams that are good, besides the "Power Six".

Nothing against Georgia, they have a fine team. But if we played 10 times (home-and-home), MT wins at least 4 of those.

Wait until our frosh get more PT-- Brandi Brown, CHelsia Lymon, Pickel, and wait until Givens and Holt learn to play with one another.

I may be wrong, but I think we have a Sweet-16 calibur team this year. I've watched a lot of women's hoop in my day.
fancy_daniel

PostPosted: 12/15/06 2:18 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

I think you have a point Billy. Some of these women's basketball writers rest on their laurels and just follow convention instead of really looking at the teams.

I hope Middle Tennessee does well in the NCAA's (provide it's not at the expense of one of my teams).

I'm also rooting for South Dakota State.

umcp77

PostPosted: 12/15/06 11:04 am    ::: What fancy_daniel said... Reply Reply with quote

...schools such as Middle Tennessee and South Dakota State are good for the game. They prove that with commitment by the school and a good coach who recruits aggressively, you can produce a successful program no matter where you're located or what conference you're in. That's a lesson some big-name schools who only pay lip service to women's basketball could learn from.

PostPosted: 12/15/06 4:22 pm    ::: Re: SI.com Power Rankings Reply Reply with quote

BlueHillbilly wrote:
From SI:

Georgia Bulldogs (7-1)
I'm going to chalk up a loss to Middle Tennessee State to the Bulldogs underestimating their opponent. Still, Georgia has no business losing to Middle Tennessee State.

No business?

If SI is going to write about it, they need to do some research on the "other" teams that are good, besides the "Power Six".

Nothing against Georgia, they have a fine team. But if we played 10 times (home-and-home), MT wins at least 4 of those.

Wait until our frosh get more PT-- Brandi Brown, CHelsia Lymon, Pickel, and wait until Givens and Holt learn to play with one another.

I may be wrong, but I think we have a Sweet-16 calibur team this year. I've watched a lot of women's hoop in my day.

You're reading too deeply into what was meant as a harmless observation. UGA was ranked in the Top 10 when the game was played. They were playing AT HOME. They were UNDEFEATED. MTSU, no matter how talented they are, was unranked with three losses. No matter how "good" those losses are perceived to be (funny how a loss to South Dakota State is deemed a "good loss" for some teams but a "bad loss" for others, but oh well), they still count as losses. TWO of those losses came AT HOME. The third was a blowout loss to Tennessee in Knoxville. UGA and Tennessee were close in the rankings. You can put two and two together to get four, right?

Shultz didn't take a swipe at MTSU. She just stated the obvious. That was a game that UGA, given the conditions of the game, was supposed to win. Get a grip, please. Nobody's trying to disrespect your team. The Blue Raiders just won a game that NOBODY outside of Blue Raider land was expecting them to win. That makes it an U-P-S-E-T.

Mathies to LA 2013
Post new topic   Reply to topic    RebKell's Junkie Boards Forum Index » NCAA Women's Basketball - General Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: