RebKell's Junkie Boards
Board Junkies Forums

Maryland vs Temple
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    RebKell's Junkie Boards Forum Index » NCAA Women's Basketball - General Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
pilight

PostPosted: 12/10/06 2:55 pm    ::: Maryland vs Temple Reply Reply with quote

30-28 Terps at the half

PostPosted: 12/10/06 4:00 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Terps win 77-66

PostPosted: 12/10/06 4:31 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

The Owls put a little scare into Maryland.

http://sports.yahoo.com/ncaaw/recap;_ylt=AmSZb98WjZo4JkJC9kQU_65MvrYF?gid=200612100577&prov=ap

PostPosted: 12/10/06 5:23 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

all I can say is DAMN. that was a good game, from the Owls perspective. From the Terps perspective it was pretty crappy.

PostPosted: 12/10/06 5:34 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

dwalkfan22 wrote:
all I can say is DAMN. that was a good game, from the Owls perspective. From the Terps perspective it was pretty crappy.

Did you go to the game Dwalkfan?

RedEqualsLuck

PostPosted: 12/10/06 6:34 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

dwalk is on Temple's sidelines. Smile

PostPosted: 12/10/06 6:36 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

yesur, I sure was. I'm the manager 4 Temple so I was on the bench Smile

PostPosted: 12/10/06 6:39 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Ohh n btw, I hella met some of the Terps and I pretty much LOVE Shay Doron hella more now, she was incredibly chill.

PostPosted: 12/10/06 7:24 pm    ::: Tough game for the Terps... Reply Reply with quote

The bad news was they had problems with the Owls' pressure.

The good news is that 1) Toliver took over down the stretch, and
2) Wiley-Gatewood will be eligible in the Terrapins' next game, Dec. 21 at Loyola of Baltimore.

PostPosted: 12/10/06 8:02 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

I'm shocked that the game was this close. Yes, it took place in PHILLY. Yes, Dawn is a crafty coach. Yes, Temple has talent. But Temple was missing one of its best interior players (Lady Comfort) because she was suspended.

Is Temple a good team? Yes. Hairston could play for any team in the country. Good enough to hang with a team that has a McDonalds All-American at every starting position? Noooooooooooo!

Temple, despite being a pretty decent defensive team, is horrid on offense. They struggle with teams who can score 70+ points with ease because they try to match you point-for-point and eventually run out of gas. Three of their four losses have come to teams that put at least 70 on them. They did score at least 65 points in those losses.

Once again this season, Maryland is playing down to the level of its competition. However, I don't think it'll work out for them this season. Duke and UNC are killing their opponents, though Duke beats up on "Top 25" teams while UNC still feasts on cupcakes. Still, both teams have a killer instinct. Maryland lacks that. Maryland NEEDS that.

Mathies to LA 2013
AAEmotion

PostPosted: 12/10/06 8:36 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Were Noirez and Marrone not at the game, or did Brenda just not play them? The boxscore on the Terps website indicates that they only had 2 subs for the game.

PostPosted: 12/10/06 9:28 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

dwalkfan22 wrote:

You got that right!!! your Owls gave us one heck of a game. Very Happy

Great to finally get to say hello today...bus left right after the game, so we had to head out of town. hope to catch up with you again next time.

BTW, check our blog and tell me if you recognize anybody. (be sure to scroll down a little) Wink

www.dcbasketcases.blogspot.com

Joey Nations

PostPosted: 12/10/06 11:27 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Quote:
Once again this season, Maryland is playing down to the level of its competition. However, I don't think it'll work out for them this season. Duke and UNC are killing their opponents, though Duke beats up on "Top 25" teams while UNC still feasts on cupcakes. Still, both teams have a killer instinct. Maryland lacks that. Maryland NEEDS that.

This was the team's closest game since the season-opening win. In fact, the team's scoring margin is 30.3 after today's game. I think if you looked through the boxscores this year you would see that only two games weren't decided with 10 minutes left in the game.

Did the team play great today, no, but at the same time I don't think they played poorly. Temple shot 36.4% and only grabbed 24 rebounds. The turnover issue has been a problem all year, but it was an issue last year too. The key factor in Temple's run to the lead was the fact that Eric Brewton was an official and the Owls scored 12 points on free throws in that stretch.

http://www.terpswomenshoops.blogspot.com
dwalkfan22

PostPosted: 12/11/06 12:02 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

AAEmotion wrote:
Were Noirez and Marrone not at the game, or did Brenda just not play them? The boxscore on the Terps website indicates that they only had 2 subs for the game.

Yep they were both there, Coach Frese just didn't play them.

PostPosted: 12/11/06 12:15 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

ripleydc wrote:
dwalkfan22 wrote:

You got that right!!! your Owls gave us one heck of a game. Very Happy

Great to finally get to say hello today...bus left right after the game, so we had to head out of town. hope to catch up with you again next time.

BTW, check our blog and tell me if you recognize anybody. (be sure to scroll down a little) Wink

www.dcbasketcases.blogspot.com

You take hella good pictures!! Aww, thanks for that pic, Rip!!

PostPosted: 12/11/06 1:32 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Joey Nations wrote:

This was the team's closest game since the season-opening win. In fact, the team's scoring margin is 30.3 after today's game. I think if you looked through the boxscores this year you would see that only two games weren't decided with 10 minutes left in the game.

And a virtual murder's row of competition too.

bullsky

PostPosted: 12/11/06 7:12 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Great photos, rip. I wonder why Candice isn't in Russia anymore... Confused

PostPosted: 12/11/06 9:03 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

dwalkfan22 wrote:

You take hella good pictures!! Aww, thanks for that pic, Rip!!

thanks dwalk...the picture-taking is easy when you've got good-looking subjects! Very Happy Very Happy

ripleydc

PostPosted: 12/11/06 9:23 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Joey Nations wrote:
[Did the team play great today, no, but at the same time I don't think they played poorly....The turnover issue has been a problem all year, but it was an issue last year too. The key factor in Temple's run to the lead was the fact that Eric Brewton was an official and the Owls scored 12 points on free throws in that stretch.

with all due respect, Joey, I think overall it was not one of the terps best efforts. both in the first and the second halves, we played stretches of pretty good BB only to give back double-digit leads with turnovers, fouls and poor decision-making. As a terps fan, I thought some calls were pretty bogus (but I bet some Owls fans think just the opposite). Regardless, my view is that as the top-ranked team, we have to be ready to take everybody's best shot and have to be ready to overcome poor officiating...it's part of the game. In the last 5 minutes, when we settled down and started playing Md basketball again, the bad calls miraculously disappeared. Top teams don't make excuses, they just don't repeat the same mistakes. I think the tough game Temple gave us yesterday (particularly after the mismatches against Marshall and Northern Iowa) was good for us. It'll make us better.

Joey Nations

PostPosted: 12/11/06 9:42 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

It did remind me of the MTSU game as the team delivered its two "knockout" punches and couldn't figure out why Temple wouldn't stay down like almost everyone else has. It still amazes me that when the team is on the ropes they some how buckle down and make the plays. I wish this would happen for a full 40 minutes, especially with ACC season approaching.

How many legit fouls did Coleman have called on her yesterday?

http://www.terpswomenshoops.blogspot.com
bballjunkee212

PostPosted: 12/11/06 10:06 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

You guys have confirmed what I suspected when I saw the box: Temple kept Maryland hopping-- which accounts for the big minutes from all five starters.

But that's okay. I've seen teams that sailed through their schedule and mowed everybody down, only to lose the first time a game was tight-- think Georgetown '85. Maryland may have had a fight on their hands from a team that's better than they get credit for-- suppose Temple vs. Cal on a neutral floor, who would win?-- but the score suggests MD knew how to control the game.

Iluvacc: Great avatar! Just awesome! I'm just sayin'. Cool

PostPosted: 12/11/06 10:14 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Joey Nations wrote:
It did remind me of the MTSU game as the team delivered its two "knockout" punches and couldn't figure out why Temple wouldn't stay down like almost everyone else has. It still amazes me that when the team is on the ropes they some how buckle down and make the plays. I wish this would happen for a full 40 minutes, especially with ACC season approaching.

How many legit fouls did Coleman have called on her yesterday?

Yes, it was very similar to MTSU. And similar, in a way to last year, when Md didn't win the title by dominating teams all season long. Back then on several occasions they displayed that M-O of building leads and giving 'em back. But, as you said, when they were on the ropes, they just managed to buckle down and find another gear and pull it out (in OT or late in regulation) like they did yesterday. The Maryland Terrapins...the Heart-Attack Kids!! Shocked

umcp77

PostPosted: 12/11/06 10:33 am    ::: A Terrapin-related question: Reply Reply with quote

How many first-place votes do you expect Maryland to lose in this week's AP poll (it collected 46 of 50 last week)? I'll say two or three, as word gets around over how close this game was (despite the 11-point margin at the end). I would not be surprised to see Duke get a few first-place votes after relatively easy home wins over Vanderbilt and Texas.

PostPosted: 12/11/06 10:36 am    ::: Re: A Terrapin-related question: Reply Reply with quote

umcp77 wrote:
How many first-place votes do you expect Maryland to lose in this week's AP poll (it collected 46 of 50 last week)? I'll say two or three, as word gets around over how close this game was (despite the 11-point margin at the end). I would not be surprised to see Duke get a few first-place votes after relatively easy home wins over Vanderbilt and Texas.

I was actually thinking Duke might pick some up even if Maryland hadn't gotten a hard time from Temple. The Debs had two impressive wins over ranked teams, some voters respond to that kind of thing.

PostPosted: 12/11/06 11:33 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

its about time we start talking about Temple!! Very Happy

Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: