RebKell's Junkie Boards
Board Junkies Forums

Marquette @ Rice

Post new topic   Reply to topic    RebKell's Junkie Boards Forum Index » NCAA Women's Basketball - General Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Marquette Fan

PostPosted: 12/03/06 3:53 pm    ::: Marquette @ Rice Reply Reply with quote

Marquette's sophomore point guard Krystal Ellis had a great first half with 20 points on 8-8 shooting from the field including 3-3 from 3 point land and 1-1 from the line. Marquette leads 44-30. Marquette led 26-10 before Rice made a 7-0 run to get within 26-17 but Marquette withstood that run and has the 14 point halftime lead. It would be nice to see Marquette pull this one off on the road especially with Rice having just beaten #10 ranked Texas A&M.

Go Marquette!

mikeyc22

PostPosted: 12/03/06 3:54 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Yes, it would. Marquette is doing well so far this year.

Marquette Fan

PostPosted: 12/03/06 3:57 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

mikeyc22 wrote:
Yes, it would. Marquette is doing well so far this year.

And they should have won that game at Virginia too (their only loss so far) - that one is going to drive me crazy all year. But credit Virginia for getting the win in that one...

Marquette Fan

PostPosted: 12/03/06 5:02 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Marquette wins 78-62. No idea on final stats now as Gametracker stayed stuck at 18:34 to go in the game. Nice road win for Marquette. They open up Big East play at home versus West Virginia on Wednesday.

And my lucky husband gets to goto the Marquette Women's BBall Big East home opener on his birthday for the second year in a row Smile. I'm hoping for a little less exciting game this year - last 12/6 they were down by about 18 to St. John's before mounting a comeback and winning the game. The win was nice but I thought I was going to have a heart attack b/c of how anxious I got at the end Smile...

bballfan2005

PostPosted: 12/03/06 5:08 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Marquette Fan wrote:
And they should have won that game at Virginia too (their only loss so far) - that one is going to drive me crazy all year.

Not true. The better team won that game. Just ask Terri Mitchell.

I wouldn't beat myself up over one loss if I were you. I don't envision Marquette going the rest of the season with just one loss.

Mathies to LA 2013
Marquette Fan

PostPosted: 12/03/06 5:13 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

bballfan2005 wrote:
Marquette Fan wrote:
And they should have won that game at Virginia too (their only loss so far) - that one is going to drive me crazy all year.

Not true. The better team won that game. Just ask Terri Mitchell.

I wouldn't beat myself up over one loss if I were you. I don't envision Marquette going the rest of the season with just one loss.

I think it's a game they should have found a way to win but they did not and credit goes to Virginia for that and Virginia has beaten Marquette each of the last two years. It's the kind of game Marquette needs to find a way to win if they're ever going to get over the hump as I say. I thought they'd lose to Virginia when I did my preseason predictions and that held true. Of course I think I was a bit optimistic with the rest of my predictions.

I don't envision Marquette going the rest of the year without a loss much less the season - I think they're going to fall at South Dakota State on 12/31 and could get tripped up before that by another opponent.

CB

PostPosted: 12/03/06 7:16 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Wow, that was such a disappointing game for Rice fans. I haven't looked at stats or game stories but I think Lauren Neaves still got her points and probably her rebounds but the story was Marquette today. Rice just looked a step slow today till the last 5-10 minutes of the game perhaps.

Rice in my opinion never did adjust to Marquette's defense which they swarmed the paint when Lauren or Val tried to get in there. Very crowded in the paint area. 2nd half Rice adjusted a little but Marquette's defense was tenacious. They didn't seem that big but very athletic and polished and their shots were falling with ease while Rice struggled hitting shots that normally go in.

Marquette is a fine polished team and deserved the win. The players were so athletic, it was like boys making those layups (that's a compliment. Wink )

With about 2 minutes to go 1st half, Rice had the double digit Marquette lead down to 7 points but Marquette got it to 14 before that 2 minutes ran out.

I thought Rice needed to make Marquette's offense work a little harder for their shots.

Val and Lauren got pretty many free throws and swished the majority of them.

Krystal Frazier of Rice played some tough D and then hit a couple shots in a row to get the Owls in gear, play more like themselves and get back within 10 around the 5 minute mark I guess, so there was some consolation in that to take away from the game.

Congrats to Marquette, a very fine game plan!

PostPosted: 12/03/06 7:30 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Lauren Neaves scored 21 points and had 14 rebounds for Rice. Ellis had 20 in the first half for Marquette, but didn't score much in the 2nd half. I think she ended with 26 or 27.

Rice just seemed flat for most of the game, definitely not the same team that convincingly defeated Texas A&M Friday night. As CB pointed out, Marquette's defense made it very difficult for Rice to score in the paint.

I was impressed with Marquette. Congratulations to the team and its fans!

HRR1972

PostPosted: 12/03/06 7:46 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Check this out:
http://www.thehrr.com/Free_MP3s/Womens_hoops/2006/12/marquette-defeats-owls-78-to-62.html#links

It includes post-game comments from Lauren Neaves and Greg Williams.

PostPosted: 12/03/06 11:01 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Thanks for the feedback on the game - it's nice to hear about it from people who saw it as I can only learn so much from looking at the stats. I'm not surprised to hear the comments about Marquette's defense - that is one thing that has been emphasized during coach Terri Mitchell's time at Marquette. I don't think they're a top 25 team at this point but Marquette has definitely pleasantly surprised me so far this year.

Good luck to Rice in Marquette's old stomping grounds - CUSA...

CB

PostPosted: 12/03/06 11:57 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Marquette Fan wrote:
Thanks for the feedback on the game - it's nice to hear about it from people who saw it as I can only learn so much from looking at the stats. I'm not surprised to hear the comments about Marquette's defense - that is one thing that has been emphasized during coach Terri Mitchell's time at Marquette. I don't think they're a top 25 team at this point but Marquette has definitely pleasantly surprised me so far this year.

Good luck to Rice in Marquette's old stomping grounds - CUSA...

You're welcome. We were thinking your guys looked better than the Aggies did on Friday night.

Thanks for the luck and good luck to Marquette as well.

PostPosted: 12/04/06 9:06 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

I wanted to add the Marquette players pretty much all seemed to have a nice move of turning to the opposite direction they were originally headed in with their post moves. It faked Rice out just about every time. I don't know why after the 1st time. Confused

Page 1 of 1

Jump to: