RebKell's Junkie Boards
Board Junkies Forums

Purdue/ Uconn predictions...
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3

Post new topic   Reply to topic    RebKell's Junkie Boards Forum Index » NCAA Women's Basketball - General Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
mercfan3

PostPosted: 11/30/06 9:53 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

ThreeBall25 wrote:
I wanted one of Kaili's 3's to drop, Mercfan... I think Gampel would have errupted if that happened. She's going to be the fan favorite by the end of the season, mark my words.

If she becomes Uconn's other perimeter threat....I'm laughing just thinking about it, the thought's just hilarious, but yet totally possible.

PostPosted: 11/30/06 11:31 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

ThreeBall25 wrote:
I don't know if Gearlds was off tonight or it was Mel Thomas' d that messed her up. Probably a combo of both. Speaking as a player, Thomas is the type of defender that annoys the crap out of you. Everytime you turn around she's right there. She was in Gearld's shorts all game long.

PS - WE SEE YOU BRITTANY HUNTER! Keep doin' your thing, rippin' down those boards with authority.

Well put on all those counts, ThreeBall. Hunter looked good.

Charde is the same player she was last year: very difficult leaning short jumpers in traffic, likes to shoot 'em, fun when they go in, sometimes monstrously good on defense and sometimes not quite there, and likely to brick a free throw whenever it matters. I can't quite bring myself to like her yet, though it's certainly sweet when those jumpers work.

I wanted to like Kaili, but I can't. Not until I see her pass the basketball. Burly posts who can make outside shots are cool, but burly posts who know when to attempt outside shots are finer.

Mel is faster than last year, shoots at least as well, and loves to hit the floor. What a defender!

Renee: wow.

If I had to pick one game key: superior foot speed. By guards and posts.

And yet... those offensive sets haven't quite gelled yet for UConn, have they? Subtract points in transition from both teams, and does Purdue win?

RedEqualsLuck

PostPosted: 11/30/06 11:45 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

it was interesting, accom, before tonight's game Kaili has shown great passing... not tonight.

her drive to the basket and lay in? HIS-TEAR-ICK-AWL!

Love her soft hands... and upright defense.

PostPosted: 11/30/06 11:47 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Charde: 9 pts, 7 boards, 5 assists, 4 steals and 4 blocks. Tonight she was second on the team in the first 2 categories, first on the team in the last 3.

That's a pretty damn good stat line.

Koopster

PostPosted: 12/01/06 12:23 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

bballfan2005 wrote:
IndyPurduefan wrote:
You brought up LWH's major weakness, and that is attitude. She has every skill necessary to dominate the hell out of a game, but she does not have an aggressive bone in her body. Everyone saw what she can do as evidenced last year against UNC in the NCAA tournament. When she starts well she becomes confident.

If she starts slowly, though, her demeanor is such that she just can't flip the switch. That's where I wished some of Lawless rubbed off on her, because then she would have the total package and would easily double double every game.

Yeah, I noticed that but thought she did have a pretty decent start. She was blocking shots and battling for o-boards from the jump. I haven't seen Lindsay Wisdom-Hylton play since the UNC game, but I did see a couple of things tonight. She's got the wherewithal to dominate on defense. I have no clue why that doesn't translate into a more dominant offensive mindset. She's like 6-3 and very strong. She has a high motor. Obviously it's a mindset issue. Was she much of a scorer in high school? I recall her being pretty highly recruited, but did she have more of a defensive reputation coming out of high school? Did Curry tell her not to shoot the ball her first two seasons at Purdue? Has Versyp tried to build Wisdom-Hylton's confidence by running more plays inside for her? Or maybe she just defers too often to Gearlds and Lawless?

If Lindsay could put together a complete offensive and defensive game, she could be just like Erlana Larkins. But it's up to the coaching staff and Wisdom-Hylton to realize that much.

She was a scorer in high school...and a rebounder...steals...assists...blocked shots. She is believed to be the first female in Illinois high school history to record 1,000 points, 1,000 rebounds, 500 assists, 500 blocked shots and 500 steals.
Even with great Pudue players of the past (Douglas, White, Figgs, Joseph, Wright, Holmes, White....) ther are some that consider LW-H on pace to be the best all around player to wear old gold and black. This game was a bit of an unusual sample...I really felt the whole offense was out of whack in the first half. Indy is correct in that she does struggle with the alpha mentality to take over a game...but she has been huge in big games in the past.

CamrnCrz1974

PostPosted: 12/01/06 4:44 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Quote:
Mel...easily Mel's best defensive game so far this season. I didn't expect her to score much, because I expected the other team's best perimeter defender on her. But she made two huge shots (one to start pulling away, and one when Purdue was making a comeback...) This game, IMO, exemplifies why Mel fans love Mel. But she needs to figure out how to get herself open in big games, Seeing at the moment, a 3 pointer from Mel is more likely to go in than a wide open layup by Tina, Kalana, and occassionally Charde. Renee becoming a three point threat will help her tremedously. But she needs to get more picks for herself, and point guards need to get her the ball more.

Mel was smart in this game to not force shots. Gearlds was certainly forcing a few, trying to release the ball more quickly, which seemed to affect her form. Mel shot when open, which was smart and just tried to bother Gearlds. Both worked well.

mercfan3

PostPosted: 12/01/06 11:28 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

CamrnCrz1974 wrote:
Quote:
Mel...easily Mel's best defensive game so far this season. I didn't expect her to score much, because I expected the other team's best perimeter defender on her. But she made two huge shots (one to start pulling away, and one when Purdue was making a comeback...) This game, IMO, exemplifies why Mel fans love Mel. But she needs to figure out how to get herself open in big games, Seeing at the moment, a 3 pointer from Mel is more likely to go in than a wide open layup by Tina, Kalana, and occassionally Charde. Renee becoming a three point threat will help her tremedously. But she needs to get more picks for herself, and point guards need to get her the ball more.

Mel was smart in this game to not force shots. Gearlds was certainly forcing a few, trying to release the ball more quickly, which seemed to affect her form. Mel shot when open, which was smart and just tried to bother Gearlds. Both worked well.

I agree, she played extremely smart. Charde Houston played really smart as well. Purdue's defense decided that they were going to force Renee, Kalana (0r Ketia) and the other post beat them. Renee showed up. I think for the Huskies to win big games, both Charde and Mel are going to need to get more shots, because I don't think Montgomery can beat those teams all by herself..(Not that Purdue isn't good) Just not Tenn, UNC, Maryland, level..)

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3
Page 3 of 3

Jump to: