RebKell's Junkie Boards
Board Junkies Forums

Purdue/ Uconn predictions...
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    RebKell's Junkie Boards Forum Index » NCAA Women's Basketball - General Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Iluvacc

PostPosted: 11/30/06 8:01 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

I said it before and I'll say it again

I *HEART* Renee Montgomery

squints

PostPosted: 11/30/06 8:04 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Queenie wrote:
Coyle must have gotten lost. The only seniors in that game actually have talent, and what would she want with that?

Laughing who knows

really im glad she scouting, rather have a different coach doing the scounting of course ,but at least shes trying to look like she does something

but they dont need to put her on camera really eww Wink

bballfan2005

PostPosted: 11/30/06 8:15 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Quote:
I said it before and I'll say it again

I *HEART* Renee Montgomery

Renee always shows me something different every time I see UConn play. I'm a fan of hers, but allow me to gripe for a sec. Scoring is nice, but Montgomery's (aka Sue Bird, Jr.) passing STILL needs work. And WTF was up with the double dribble without any pressure on her? Shocked

Despite all that, she's been a huge lift for UConn thus far. NO one can check her! Exclamation

Mathies to LA 2013
desafiada6

PostPosted: 11/30/06 8:23 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

bballfan2005 wrote:
After not being able to predict this game, I did something that I might start doing more often. I used the great powers of Nancy Lieberman to guide me to my prediction. Knowing how "tight" she is with Katie Gearlds and Erin Lawless, I figure that she'll pick Purdue to win the game. Therefore, I'm picking UConn to pull a close game out late.

Nancy says that Tina Charles is by far the best freshman in the country. I predict that she won't be the best freshman in this game. FahKara Malone will be a key to Purdue staying in the game.

Tight with Katie? Clearly! Tight with Erin? Uh...not really! Wink

PostPosted: 11/30/06 8:26 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

desafiada6 wrote:
Tight with Katie? Clearly! Tight with Erin? Uh...not really! Wink

I just noticed that (17 points, 3? threes). Whoops! Embarassed

Mathies to LA 2013
bballfan2005

PostPosted: 11/30/06 8:31 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Back-to-back threes from Malone (love this kid!) and Howell have cut the lead down to nine with nine minutes left. This game is FAR from being over.

Is it me, or does Kalana Greene travel just about every time she touches the ball?

Mathies to LA 2013
Iluvacc

PostPosted: 11/30/06 8:43 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Yeah this game has gotten closer. Charde Houston is just oozing with talent!

Iluvacc

PostPosted: 11/30/06 8:45 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

It's pretty much a miracle to see Brittany Hunter on the court playing.

Iluvacc

PostPosted: 11/30/06 8:47 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Everytime the Huskies need a big play, Renee Montgomery takes over for them.

bballfan2005

PostPosted: 11/30/06 8:51 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

UNC plays a good OOC schedule? Shocked

Yes, because we all know how strong Tennessee Tech is year after year. Rolling Eyes

Mathies to LA 2013
hoopfan24

PostPosted: 11/30/06 8:56 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

bballfan2005 wrote:
After not being able to predict this game, I did something that I might start doing more often. I used the great powers of Nancy Lieberman to guide me to my prediction. Knowing how "tight" she is with Katie Gearlds and Erin Lawless, I figure that she'll pick Purdue to win the game. Therefore, I'm picking UConn to pull a close game out late.

Nancy says that Tina Charles is by far the best freshman in the country. I predict that she won't be the best freshman in this game. FahKara Malone will be a key to Purdue staying in the game.

Nancy hasn't seen Jayne Appel play yet.

IndyPurduefan

PostPosted: 11/30/06 9:01 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

This game obviously hurts me as a Purdue fan, but I thought the biggest thing was Wisdom-Hylton and Gearlds not hitting for crap. Credit some of that to good defense by UConn obviously, but at the same time, Gearlds and LWH missed a lot of wide-open looks.

Purdue has played some good teams so far....we have a few left on the nonconference......here's to hoping they find their shots once again. We also need to play a home game.....it's been awhile.

PostPosted: 11/30/06 9:03 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

bballfan2005 wrote:

Yes, because we all know how strong Tennessee Tech is year after year. Rolling Eyes

It's not like we play a murderous schedule Razz but that was funny!

bballfan2005

PostPosted: 11/30/06 9:07 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

hoopfan24 wrote:
Nancy hasn't seen Jayne Appel play yet.

Well, let's hope it stays that way. Wink She can't jinx what she doesn't know.

Mathies to LA 2013
desafiada6

PostPosted: 11/30/06 9:07 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

oh where oh where did Katie Gearlds go?!? Rolling Eyes Mad

PostPosted: 11/30/06 9:08 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Iluvacc wrote:
bballfan2005 wrote:

Geno just said that Tina was SHELL SHOCKED!!!! She is a work in prgress, but her upside is ridiculous. She is so athletic. She will get it together.

ThreeBall25

PostPosted: 11/30/06 9:13 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

First off I would like to state that Erin Lawless SCARES me. Her name scares me. Her game scares me. Her facial expressions scare me. I wouldn't want to be on her bad side, and all this is a compliment to her.

Kalana Greene has happy feet. There were a lot of travels out there tonight.

I don't know if Gearlds was off tonight or it was Mel Thomas' d that messed her up. Probably a combo of both. Speaking as a player, Thomas is the type of defender that annoys the crap out of you. Everytime you turn around she's right there. She was in Gearld's shorts all game long.

PS - WE SEE YOU BRITTANY HUNTER! Keep doin' your thing, rippin' down those boards with authority.

bballfan2005

PostPosted: 11/30/06 9:13 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Iluvacc wrote:

Yeah, but y'all have played a number of NCAA Tournament teams like MTSU and #21 George Washington, and a couple of tournament hopefuls in Ole Miss, TCU, and Arizona. Maryland still hasn't played Liberty or Michigan State, two more NCAA hopefuls. There's a reason why Maryland has a Top 10 RPI right now while UNC's is still in the mid-50s. Laughing Just look at UNC's OOC schedule outside of Tennessee and UConn (both home games, BTW). Like Dickie V says, "It's cupcake city, baby!" Laughing

Sylvia could stand to learn a thing or two from Roy Williams, like how to schedule tough OOC opponents and what NOT to wear on the sidelines.

Mathies to LA 2013
desafiada6

PostPosted: 11/30/06 9:16 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

ThreeBall25 wrote:
First off I would like to state that Erin Lawless SCARES me. Her name scares me. Her game scares me. Her facial expressions scare me. I wouldn't want to be on her bad side, and all this is a compliment to her.

Don't get too scurred ThreeBall! Laughing

PostPosted: 11/30/06 9:23 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

PURDUE

I like Erin FLawless' game. She's definitely one to keep an eye on this season.

Can't say enough good things about Malone. By season's end, she will be talked about in the same sentence as Georgia's Ashley Houts. Right now, those are my top freshman point guards.

Wisdom-Hylton absolutely dominated on defense, but she was much too soft on the offensive end tonight. When she did pop free for shots in the second half, they were forced. It's not like UConn has a dominating post at this juncture, either. Hopefully this was just one of those nights offensively.

And poor Gearlds. She couldn't hit the side of a barn tonight. There have and will be better games, though.

Mathies to LA 2013
IndyPurduefan

PostPosted: 11/30/06 9:27 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

bballfan2005 wrote:
PURDUE

I like Erin FLawless' game. She's definitely one to keep an eye on this season.

Can't say enough good things about Malone. By season's end, she will be talked about in the same sentence as Georgia's Ashley Houts. Right now, those are my top freshman point guards.

Wisdom-Hylton absolutely dominated on defense, but she was much too soft on the offensive end tonight. When she did pop free for shots in the second half, they were forced. It's not like UConn has a dominating post at this juncture, either. Hopefully this was just one of those nights offensively.

And poor Gearlds. She couldn't hit the side of a barn tonight. There have and will be better games, though.

You brought up LWH's major weakness, and that is attitude. She has every skill necessary to dominate the hell out of a game, but she does not have an aggressive bone in her body. Everyone saw what she can do as evidenced last year against UNC in the NCAA tournament. When she starts well she becomes confident.

If she starts slowly, though, her demeanor is such that she just can't flip the switch. That's where I wished some of Lawless rubbed off on her, because then she would have the total package and would easily double double every game.

PostPosted: 11/30/06 9:36 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

First of all, great game to be a Uconn fan...

A few side notes, It made me feel all warm and fuzzy to see the student section filled up...of course, I wasn't as happy when I figured out it's tough for 5'2 to see over 5'10...

You know, sometimes I couldn't tell whether it was the refs or the Uconn players...with the traveling call. IMO, Kalana did travel most of the time, as did Tina...However, I don't believe Charde's (hah...that's kind of funny) was a travel...On some of Kalana's, I felt that they were travels, but the refs were being a tad anal...I mean, if you aren't going to call the unneccesary elbow to the boobs foul, perhaps you should call Kalana's tiny little step, as she's moving, every single time she moves..

Renee...I believed from the get go, Uconn would live or die with Renee. The defense was going to stick to Mel like glue, and then guard the interior...Renee was great offensively. The carriering thing scares me a tad, just because she does it a lot, and you never know when it will be called. The turnovers were a little wacky for her too.

Mel...easily Mel's best defensive game so far this season. I didn't expect her to score much, because I expected the other team's best perimeter defender on her. But she made two huge shots (one to start pulling away, and one when Purdue was making a comeback...) This game, IMO, exemplifies why Mel fans love Mel. But she needs to figure out how to get herself open in big games, Seeing at the moment, a 3 pointer from Mel is more likely to go in than a wide open layup by Tina, Kalana, and occassionally Charde. Renee becoming a three point threat will help her tremedously. But she needs to get more picks for herself, and point guards need to get her the ball more.

Britt...IMO, the best post player on the floor. It's great to see her contribute like that. She did what she needed to do. And to be honest, probably the only Husky that didn't have anything negative about her game tonight.

Charde was solid, could have played better. But I suspect, that as with Mel. The defense was guard Mel and Charde tightly, guard Tina well...let Kalana and Renee beat us..So Charde played well, but she needs to score more during big games.

Kailli...best Uconn freshman tonight. Although, I'd prefere it if instead of pass from Mel to Kailli for three it was pass from Kailli to Mel for three.. Wink

Tina...not Tina's best. Although, I'm sure it will be a learning experience for her, and she'll only get better because of it...But the traveling, and missing bunnies has got to stop soon.

Ketia...did her job, unfortuantly, she not only tricked the defense, she tricked the offense as well on occassion..

Overall, this game was a defensive game, every Husky was very good on D, and the Purdue players were as well. (I wish I knew more about that..) I'm sure this is just a building block for Uconn, and a learning experience...that doesn't mean much overall, for both teams.

PostPosted: 11/30/06 9:42 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

IndyPurduefan wrote:
You brought up LWH's major weakness, and that is attitude. She has every skill necessary to dominate the hell out of a game, but she does not have an aggressive bone in her body. Everyone saw what she can do as evidenced last year against UNC in the NCAA tournament. When she starts well she becomes confident.

If she starts slowly, though, her demeanor is such that she just can't flip the switch. That's where I wished some of Lawless rubbed off on her, because then she would have the total package and would easily double double every game.

Yeah, I noticed that but thought she did have a pretty decent start. She was blocking shots and battling for o-boards from the jump. I haven't seen Lindsay Wisdom-Hylton play since the UNC game, but I did see a couple of things tonight. She's got the wherewithal to dominate on defense. I have no clue why that doesn't translate into a more dominant offensive mindset. She's like 6-3 and very strong. She has a high motor. Obviously it's a mindset issue. Was she much of a scorer in high school? I recall her being pretty highly recruited, but did she have more of a defensive reputation coming out of high school? Did Curry tell her not to shoot the ball her first two seasons at Purdue? Has Versyp tried to build Wisdom-Hylton's confidence by running more plays inside for her? Or maybe she just defers too often to Gearlds and Lawless?

If Lindsay could put together a complete offensive and defensive game, she could be just like Erlana Larkins. But it's up to the coaching staff and Wisdom-Hylton to realize that much.

Mathies to LA 2013
desafiada6

PostPosted: 11/30/06 9:47 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

bballfan2005 wrote:

Yeah, I noticed that but thought she did have a pretty decent start. She was blocking shots and battling for o-boards from the jump. I haven't seen Lindsay Wisdom-Hylton play since the UNC game, but I did see a couple of things tonight. She's got the wherewithal to dominate on defense. I have no clue why that doesn't translate into a more dominant offensive mindset. She's like 6-3 and very strong. She has a high motor. Obviously it's a mindset issue. Was she much of a scorer in high school? I recall her being pretty highly recruited, but did she have more of a defensive reputation coming out of high school? Did Curry tell her not to shoot the ball her first two seasons at Purdue? Has Versyp tried to build Wisdom-Hylton's confidence by running more plays inside for her? Or maybe she just defers too often to Gearlds and Lawless?

If Lindsay could put together a complete offensive and defensive game, she could be just like Erlana Larkins. But it's up to the coaching staff and Wisdom-Hylton to realize that much.

Nah, I wouldn't necessarily say she defers too often to Gearlds & Lawless. Lindsay has a naturally laid back attitude...I'm talking about off the court...and sometimes she just can't get that killer attitude when she's on the court. It's too bad because if she did she would be really scary, we're talking great defense with good offense.

PostPosted: 11/30/06 9:48 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

I wanted one of Kaili's 3's to drop, Mercfan... I think Gampel would have errupted if that happened. She's going to be the fan favorite by the end of the season, mark my words.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    RebKell's Junkie Boards Forum Index » NCAA Women's Basketball - General Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3

Jump to: