RebKell's Junkie Boards
Board Junkies Forums

Sooners vs Lamar

Post new topic   Reply to topic    RebKell's Junkie Boards Forum Index » NCAA Women's Basketball - General Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
tag3

PostPosted: 11/30/06 12:22 am    ::: Sooners vs Lamar Reply Reply with quote

http://www.soonersports.com/ViewArticle.dbml?DB_OEM_ID=300&ATCLID=698215

CB

PostPosted: 11/30/06 1:22 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Very Happy

Lots of Sooner fans travel with their team!

PostPosted: 11/30/06 1:22 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Beatdown of epic proportions.

PostPosted: 11/30/06 1:25 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

JACKOWACKO wrote:

Not really. Wasn't as bad as the score looks. Could have been as bad as the score looks, but wasn't.

The Cardinals can hold their heads up. They played hard.

PostPosted: 11/30/06 9:57 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

CB wrote:

I think there's a fairly large Houston Sooner Club that sponsored a bus trip over to Beaumont. The weather here in Oklahoma prohibited some fans from making it down that way.

Coach Coale was NOT happy with any aspect of the Sooners game last night.

The OU radio guy was funny...........Mustard in the Paint with the Elbow in a reference to the Clue game and Jana Mustard (which I'm sure she gets a lot).

bballjunkee212

PostPosted: 11/30/06 10:06 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Looking at the box, I can see why Coach Coale was not happy with the performance. This may be one of the few games OU plays where 41% shooting- to say nothing of 25% 3FGA and 51% FT-- will win it.

PostPosted: 11/30/06 2:23 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Quote:
``For whatever reason, we seem like we're waiting for a reason to play,'' Coale said. ``And the reason to play is because there's a game. And that should be reason enough for any competitor.''

I guess despite the score, looks like the Sooners fell asleep for a bit.

Twisted Evil *Contemplates how this will benefit other teams in the Big 12*

CB

PostPosted: 12/01/06 9:53 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

swok34 wrote:
CB wrote:

I think there's a fairly large Houston Sooner Club that sponsored a bus trip over to Beaumont. The weather here in Oklahoma prohibited some fans from making it down that way.

Coach Coale was NOT happy with any aspect of the Sooners game last night.

The OU radio guy was funny...........Mustard in the Paint with the Elbow in a reference to the Clue game and Jana Mustard (which I'm sure she gets a lot).

Sorry for the delay in reply.

They were large and loud. At one point for a few seconds, the Lamar fans were a little offended or was that when the Sooner player was up from the bench yelling some smack. Very Happy I found it funny but perhaps the Cardinal fans weren't used to that kind of stuff but they felt better when a Cardinal fan stood in the center of the Sooners fan club and held up the "Oklahoma sucks" sign...funny.

The Sooners started a little slow, after all they know they are going to win this game and don't want to totally embarrass the Cardinals, but also I give credit to the Cardinals for hitting their shots early and not being intimidated. Olsen and Mustard were pushing on the Paris twins to try and keep them out of the paint (somewhat lol), out of their comfort zone.

Courtney looked as good as when you see her on tv and Ashley seems even more improved. Correct, Sooner fans?

I looked forward to seeing Abi Olajuwon on the court but she only played the last couple of minutes, I believe, garbage time, but she was impressive in those couple of minutes. She is wider and bigger than I would have thought, with The Dream being more wiry than wide. Hmm, she is built more like I would expect Patrick Ewing's daughter to be built. Shocked She was very humble, as the Paris twins seem to be also. Nice shot, Abi the left hander. Smile

Toney, the Cardinals point guard, impressed me. Many times though, she should have taken the little shot in the paint instead of trying to dish off which caused some turnovers. She had the room to take the shot. Never know if she is just following coach's orders though. I think one of the recaps said there were NO points in the paint for Lamar but I'm sure Toney took and made at least one shot driving the middle of the paint from the key.

The Sooners are deep in bigs and the lead got larger as the Cardinals were tired and Courtney started having her way. The Cardinals didn't adjust to Courtney passing off from under the goal to her cutting teammate for easy layups and then even Courtney seemed to get the easy layups.

Was a fun time. I'd say more, but I have to get back to work. Laughing

PostPosted: 12/01/06 10:14 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

JACKOWACKO wrote:

No, this is:
http://sports.yahoo.com/ncaaw/recap;_ylt=AsAPZ6h.rXsUDQza5IudLwpMvrYF?gid=200611300585&prov=ap
(22) Texas 71, Southern 23 Shocked

CB

PostPosted: 12/01/06 10:36 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Rebounds - the ball seems to just come to Courtney. That's talent.

PostPosted: 12/01/06 10:44 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Thank you for the report, cb.

OU has only had one preseason game at home, so I've only listened to the last 4 games. I was hoping to go to Tulsa tomorrow, but the weather may be prohibitive to see them play TU. I was also hoping to see Oklahoma State play. The OU game is on TV here in the Oklahoma City and also the Tulsa area.

If anyone has ESPN Fullcourt, the game is supposed to be shown tomorrow at 3:30, as well.

I don't think Abi O. is in playing shape, and I don't know that she will see much beyond end of the game cleanup time. She's a hoot on the bench though: seen her cracking up her teammates and dancing during the introductions. And I can see her "smack" talking.

But I don't think OU will necessarily need Abi O. this season with Ashley's improved play. And I also think Leah Rush has learned to play with Courtney a little better than she did last year; actually that's probably true of the whole team.

Nyeshia Stevenson is the player that has surprised me. Both she and Amanda Thompson will see a great deal of playing time, though Amanda's defense is better than Nyeshia. Coach Coale made a comment about Nyeshia in that she would stay on the court longer if her defense improves, because her offense has certainly been a pleasant surprise.

I also heard a Sooner fan that was there comment that Courtney wasn't even looking for the basket on the "initial" shot and only shooting after an offensive rebound....but was concentrating more on passing out of a double team. So, that may account for the "slowness", if Coale is trying to get CP to focus on her passing.

CB

PostPosted: 12/01/06 12:39 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

swok34 wrote:
Thank you for the report, cb.

OU has only had one preseason game at home, so I've only listened to the last 4 games. I was hoping to go to Tulsa tomorrow, but the weather may be prohibitive to see them play TU. I was also hoping to see Oklahoma State play. The OU game is on TV here in the Oklahoma City and also the Tulsa area.

If anyone has ESPN Fullcourt, the game is supposed to be shown tomorrow at 3:30, as well.

I don't think Abi O. is in playing shape, and I don't know that she will see much beyond end of the game cleanup time. She's a hoot on the bench though: seen her cracking up her teammates and dancing during the introductions. And I can see her "smack" talking.

But I don't think OU will necessarily need Abi O. this season with Ashley's improved play. And I also think Leah Rush has learned to play with Courtney a little better than she did last year; actually that's probably true of the whole team.

Nyeshia Stevenson is the player that has surprised me. Both she and Amanda Thompson will see a great deal of playing time, though Amanda's defense is better than Nyeshia. Coach Coale made a comment about Nyeshia in that she would stay on the court longer if her defense improves, because her offense has certainly been a pleasant surprise.

I also heard a Sooner fan that was there comment that Courtney wasn't even looking for the basket on the "initial" shot and only shooting after an offensive rebound....but was concentrating more on passing out of a double team. So, that may account for the "slowness", if Coale is trying to get CP to focus on her passing.

Thanks, swok34, interesting stuff. Now that you mention it, Thompson was very impressive. I didn't notice Stevenson but I was probably just focused elsewhere.

That wasn't Abi doing the smack talking. It was a talk skinnier player and she was loud! Laughing My friend wasn't amused but overall it was kind of funny as I said. I don't think she meant anything by it.

Sometimes Courtney had no choice but to pass off, the Cardinals were pushing to keep her from her comfort zone. Great passing ability by Courtney. It was a pleasure and I am grateful and respectful of Coach Coale scheduling the Lamar Cardinals. I think it helps the programs grow. At any rate, Olsen and Mustard can say they played man to man on some greats! Smile

Page 1 of 1

Jump to: