RebKell's Junkie Boards
Board Junkies Forums

Question about the Lady Vols
Goto page Previous  1, 2

Post new topic   Reply to topic    RebKell's Junkie Boards Forum Index » NCAA Women's Basketball - General Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
readyAIMfire53

PostPosted: 11/29/06 7:18 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

"they're adults, not kids."

They are YOUNG adults age-wise. Some of them are more ready to move into adulthood than others. Some did not have proper support at home to grow up properly yet.

While I agree that the wearing of patches, etc is not exactly proper for adults, I think it is motivation that some of the "kid-like" young adults might need to stay focused on priorities.

~rAf

~rAf
bballjunkee212

PostPosted: 11/29/06 7:48 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Let's not deceive ourselves that this little patch has anything to do with motivating the athletes to be better students. It's about the University of Tennessee making a political statement and a commercial: Don't blame us for athletes with poor scholarship records, because we promote good grades.

What's interesting to me about this is that federal privacy laws make a student's grades secret. There's a Supreme Court case out there on the subject. But here's a school basically making the student's GPA public. Interesting how fluid things are when the system allows schools to treat their "scholar-athletes" like property.

PostPosted: 11/29/06 7:50 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Don't tell the folks in my office that adults don't like visible symbols drawing attention to what they did - we've got "I voted" stickers still hanging around, "I'm a star" buttons on people who have contributed to the charity drive, and thirty year of government service pins on lapels.
I understand that sometimes the recognition is given out too frequently to be meaningful (I think of the football players who get a sticker on their helmet everytime they make a "big play"), but I applaud an athletic department that remembers that the players are still students.

Grumps

PostPosted: 11/29/06 7:55 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

bballjunkee212 wrote:
Let's not deceive ourselves that this little patch has anything to do with motivating the athletes to be better students. It's about the University of Tennessee making a political statement and a commercial: Don't blame us for athletes with poor scholarship records, because we promote good grades.

What's interesting to me about this is that federal privacy laws make a student's grades secret. There's a Supreme Court case out there on the subject. But here's a school basically making the student's GPA public. Interesting how fluid things are when the system allows schools to treat their "scholar-athletes" like property.

So what's Parkers GPA, or Hornbuckle, or Sid? It's better than a 3.0 but that's about all the patch will tell you...Boy it doesn't take much to drag the haters out of the woodwork...

Grumps

luvDhoops

PostPosted: 11/29/06 12:55 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

hoopfan24 wrote:
they're adults, not kids. Is it the coach or student athlete that is responsible and accountable for their performance in the classroom?

If they're so adult, then you would think they'd be adult enough to not pout about someone getting a "happy face" while they didn't.

CamrnCrz1974

PostPosted: 11/29/06 1:13 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

They are student-athletes...the uniform reflects those who have achieved both at the highest level.

Women's basketball players are adults. They don't need fan protection (see the Hornbuckle comments from last year).

giraffespots

PostPosted: 11/29/06 1:42 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

The only problem I have is that it suggests that if a "student-athlete" is making less than a 3.0 gpa that its his/her attitude. Someone can be as motivated as everyone else and still have a gpa of less than 3.0.

As a parent, I can see that one child may work as hard as the other child but still make lower grades. Its not always a matter of motivation. By having these patches, it puts tremendous pressure on these players.

IMO, sending the message that you should always do your best and that is great is better than sending the message if you try hard enough you can have a gpa of 3.0 (because the inference is that if you don't have a 3.0, you are just not trying hard).

As far as Pat recruiting "student-athletes" and not athletic students, well, that just made me laugh. Pat recruits basketball players.

PostPosted: 11/29/06 11:14 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

I agree with you about Pat recruiting basketball players but I think you need to add on that she goes for the girls that have their heads on right. I think the people who don't have the patch on their uniforms are the new players. I like that she still puts school first. I'm sure if you asked the players how they feel about the patches, they will all say that they take pride in them.
Str8_Butta

PostPosted: 11/30/06 7:12 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Grumps wrote:
bballjunkee212 wrote:

So what's Parkers GPA, or Hornbuckle, or Sid? It's better than a 3.0 but that's about all the patch will tell you...Boy it doesn't take much to drag the haters out of the woodwork...

Grumps

As is Anosike's (I believe), I just had to throw that out there (I love her). Cool

PostPosted: 11/30/06 8:36 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

I find the no names on the back of the jersey annoying.

As far as the graduation rate, you can't argue with this type of success. Way to go, Pat!

Impressive gpa for the Lady Vols. I feel kind of neutral about the patches. They can't wear their names but they can show how smart they are heh.

PostPosted: 11/30/06 11:55 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

flojojr2007 wrote:
I like that she still puts school first. I'm sure if you asked the players how they feel about the patches, they will all say that they take pride in them.

I'm sure you are right about the players taking pride in the patches. I have no problem with Pat or her stance on education first. I've been a Summit fan since 79.

flojojr2007 wrote:
I agree with you about Pat recruiting basketball players but I think you need to add on that she goes for the girls that have their heads on right.

Once again, there is that implication that the girl is a problem if she cannot maintain a 3.0. If a player spends every free moment studying and still ends up with a 2.8 grade average, I feel she has done her best and should not be singled out.

However, maybe I could clarify my statement: Pat recruits basketball players who are good in school. (Once more, I am not hating on Pat, just stating my opinion on the patches idea.)

PostPosted: 11/30/06 12:12 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Aren't there special patches on high school letter jackets for high GPA's/academic excellence? What's the difference? School is still school.

I think it's funny that everyone is talking about this like it was Pat's idea or something. All of the Tennessee athletes can earn the patches.

Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: