RebKell's Junkie Boards
Board Junkies Forums

Question about the Lady Vols
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    RebKell's Junkie Boards Forum Index » NCAA Women's Basketball - General Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
LdyVolsFn

PostPosted: 11/27/06 7:37 pm    ::: Question about the Lady Vols Reply Reply with quote

I have noticed in photos from games that some players have a patch on the upper right hand side of their jerseys. I appears to only be players who were on the team last year. Does anyone know what the patch is and what it is for?

luvDhoops

PostPosted: 11/27/06 8:07 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

It's for keeping a 3.0 gpa. I believe the newcomers will be eligibile to have one after this semester.

gpark33

PostPosted: 11/27/06 10:01 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Did I also hear in one of the televised games that every player eligible has one? If so, that's pretty impressive.

Daddychoc

PostPosted: 11/27/06 10:18 pm    ::: as a Lady Vols "fan" Reply Reply with quote

I'd think you would ask that question on the "Summitt"!

BTW they also said Coach Summitt has graduated 100% of her players.

shizanna

PostPosted: 11/28/06 10:53 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Yes. All the players that rate a GPA have one that's over 3.0. They've all got them (except the newbies).

PostPosted: 11/28/06 11:44 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

That is impressive. I knew about PS's 100% graduation rate, but didn't realize most, if not all, players carry that high a GPA.

PostPosted: 11/28/06 4:13 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

4ever_bball_fan wrote:
That is impressive. I knew about PS's 100% graduation rate, but didn't realize most, if not all, players carry that high a GPA.

I think that patch is just about the dumbest thing that I have ever heard of. What if one player doesn't carry a 3.0 GPA, they will look like a fool out there. I know these kids are student-athletes, but that is just a little much, and nothing more than Pat and her self-promotion.

mabell3368

PostPosted: 11/28/06 4:17 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

I'm sorry you feel that way, Bart, but it's called motivation. Pat recruits student athletes, not athletic students. Not everybody is cut out to be a Lady Vol.

PostPosted: 11/28/06 4:23 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

All of the athletic teams at Tennessee, both men and women, are using the Vol Scholar patch this year. Pat did not have anything to do with it - it was the idea of the academic support folks and the people in the AD's offices. Sorry to disappoint you, Bart.

ucbart

PostPosted: 11/28/06 4:25 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

mabell3368 wrote:
I'm sorry you feel that way, Bart, but it's called motivation. Pat recruits student athletes, not athletic students. Not everybody is cut out to be a Lady Vol.

Motivation or not, I don't like it.

ucbart

PostPosted: 11/28/06 4:27 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Sibyl wrote:
All of the athletic teams at Tennessee, both men and women, are using the Vol Scholar patch this year. Pat did not have anything to do with it - it was the idea of the academic support folks and the people in the AD's offices. Sorry to disappoint you, Bart.

Well, I stand corrected then. It's still a lousy idea, and I would say that if UCONN did it.

shizanna

PostPosted: 11/28/06 4:31 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Call it the good kind of peer pressure.

PostPosted: 11/28/06 4:32 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

ucbart wrote:
Sibyl wrote:

Well, I stand corrected then. It's still a lousy idea, and I would say that if UCONN did it.

agree with Bart. It is ljust as lame as Pat requiring her players to sit in the front 2 rows of class. They're adults for crissakes, treat them like it.

shizanna

PostPosted: 11/28/06 4:41 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

They're also in HER athletic program and she expects the STUDENTS in her program (voluntarily) to be active in their classes and make their educations important.

They're free to go play for another program. There are plenty of kids who would do just about anything to play for Pat.

PostPosted: 11/28/06 5:31 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

mabell3368 wrote:

Student athletes? You may want to further examine some of the test scores of several of the recruits over the past few years.

http://www.terpswomenshoops.blogspot.com
hoopfan24

PostPosted: 11/28/06 5:46 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

shizanna wrote:
They're also in HER athletic program and she expects the STUDENTS in her program (voluntarily) to be active in their classes and make their educations important.

They're free to go play for another program. There are plenty of kids who would do just about anything to play for Pat.

exactly,. they should be mature enough to take their classes seriously, regardless where Pat tells them to sit in the room.

Last edited by hoopfan24 on 11/28/06 5:51 pm; edited 1 time in total
shizanna

PostPosted: 11/28/06 5:48 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Just like kids should be mature enough to raise themselves. Rolling Eyes

They're her responsibility, she takes it seriously. Good for Pat.

PostPosted: 11/28/06 6:29 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

shizanna wrote:
Just like kids should be mature enough to raise themselves. Rolling Eyes

They're her responsibility, she takes it seriously. Good for Pat.

they're adults, not kids. Is it the coach or student athlete that is responsible and accountable for their performance in the classroom?

Joey Nations

PostPosted: 11/28/06 6:50 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Also, what happens to the one player who doesn't make the grades? Isn't she wearing a reverse Scarlet Letter and open to ridicule?

http://www.terpswomenshoops.blogspot.com
Daddychoc

PostPosted: 11/28/06 7:08 pm    ::: Girl Scout or any other CLUB Reply Reply with quote

patches motive people. We all want the most stripes.

Go Pat, great idea! Extra push outside of playing basketball.

memphis10

PostPosted: 11/28/06 8:46 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

It's not Pat's idea (see sybil's post), but is still a good idea. It never ceases to amaze me how Coach Summit can do no right to some people. I admire her for caring about her player's academic and athletic success. All coach's don't but should. And that criticism can and should be spread around the entire athletic department at UT.

R.I.P Shara 1993-2009
R.I.P. Taylor Bradford
hoopfan24

PostPosted: 11/28/06 9:10 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

memphis10 wrote:
It's not Pat's idea (see sybil's post), but is still a good idea. It never ceases to amaze me how Coach Summit can do no right to some people. I admire her for caring about her player's academic and athletic success. All coach's don't but should. And that criticism can and should be spread around the entire athletic department at UT.

I undertood it is UT's policy, maybe the men's fball and bball program needed more motivation by creating this patch thing and peer pressure. I still think it's lame. H.S. sure, but not college. They are a couple of years away from getting a job and being on their own. Isn't college a time to prepare for that? You know, be grown-up?

And what other women's bball coaches don't care about academics? It's not that they don't care about academics, but 'how' they go about enforcing or encouraging their student athlete to perform.

All athletic programs have great upport systems set up to the help the athletes. Is that fair to the non athletes? I understand kids miss class due to games, but when does hand holding and motivation thru patches stop and simple responsibility begin?

PUmatty

PostPosted: 11/28/06 9:12 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

hoopfan24 wrote:
shizanna wrote:

exactly,. they should be mature enough to take their classes seriously, regardless where Pat tells them to sit in the room.

I agree.

It reminds me of the whole don't put names on the backs of jerseys to so that they know that they don't play for themselves, they play for a team. A player should no this and want to do it, just like they should want to work for their grades. If they are the one who doesn't in the first place, a little sympbol isn't going to suddenly change their minds.

flojojr2007

PostPosted: 11/29/06 1:10 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Well, I'm going to try my best not to bash anyone or step on some toes because I think we all have enough drama in our lives. I kinda like this idea. I don't really understand the whole no names on back of jersey thing but what can we say, Pat is a bit old school. LOL. I think it does motivate a lot of the athletes. I mean, yes, it is time for them to grow up and I'm sure they have a lot of mistakes but many coaches do try their best to help their players as much as they can without crossing the line. I think they just want to see them succeed. I mean, let's say Pat wasn't to use this technique and the girls get caught up in everything else except for their studies, wouldn't most of them probably get lost in college life and not worry so much about studies? I'm just saying that there are a lot of temptations in college and they could fall for them that's all. I think everyone will make mistakes but don't you think that many of us do sometimes need someone else to get us back on track.

Also, this could just be another one of her lessons. Like, "if you work hard and always push yourself you will be successful in life." Many athletes are big on little patches and stuff because they always want to be the best or rather to succeed. I just like this idea because the girls have a certain bar for themselves that they have to achieve and I'm sure many times they try to exceed that expectation and be the best. This will only help them later i life because they would have become accustomed to this pattern and will strive for the best all the time.

Sorry if some of this makes no sense whatsoever, I'm a bit tired. LOL
GlennMacGrady

PostPosted: 11/29/06 2:15 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

I wonder if Shannon Bobbitt is in danger of not getting a patch.

That would seem to be a reasonable interpretation of the rather unusual event of her not accompanying the team to play LaTech. She is reported to have stayed at school so she could take tests and write a paper. This makes eminent sense if there is concern about her academic performance to date.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    RebKell's Junkie Boards Forum Index » NCAA Women's Basketball - General Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: