RebKell's Junkie Boards
Board Junkies Forums

UCLA at Gonzaga

Post new topic   Reply to topic    RebKell's Junkie Boards Forum Index » NCAA Women's Basketball - General Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
PUmatty

PostPosted: 11/24/06 6:49 pm    ::: UCLA at Gonzaga Reply Reply with quote

Bruins down 21-11 with 5 minutes left in the half.

That is not many points in 15 minutes for UCLA.

Looks like the Pac-10 is not what people seemed to think it was going to be.

fancy_daniel

PostPosted: 11/24/06 8:50 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Final score Gonzaga 62, UCLA 57.

Am I reading this right? Did Noelle Quinn only score 1 point?

accommodatingly

PostPosted: 11/24/06 10:50 pm    ::: Re: UCLA at Gonzaga Reply Reply with quote

PUmatty wrote:

Depends which people, I guess. Two years ago, IIRC, Gonzaga went undefeated until their conference tournament, when they lost in the finals to Santa Clara, at Santa Clara, b/c the home team hit a zillion treys; the Zags then got left out of the NCAA tournament. How many, if any, significant Zags remain from that team? And do the Zags play anyone good for the rest of their non-conference season?

PUmatty

PostPosted: 11/24/06 10:51 pm    ::: Re: UCLA at Gonzaga Reply Reply with quote

accommodatingly wrote:
PUmatty wrote:

Depends which people, I guess. Two years ago, IIRC, Gonzaga went undefeated until their conference tournament, when they lost in the finals to Santa Clara, at Santa Clara, b/c the home team hit a zillion treys; the Zags then got left out of the NCAA tournament. How many, if any, significant Zags remain from that team? And do the Zags play anyone good for the rest of their non-conference season?

They still play at Arizona State, UNC and Purdue.

This team does not appear to be the team from a couple of years ago. They have already lost to Montana and barely beat UC-Davis.

bullsky

PostPosted: 11/24/06 10:57 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Last year, IIRC, the Zags got blown out at the Paradise Jam by Tennessee and Maryland and lost a somewhat close one to Michigan State. I don't see Gonzaga as a solid team, but I havent thought UCLA was a Top 25 team either.

PostPosted: 11/24/06 11:56 pm    ::: Still a challenge Reply Reply with quote

Gonzaga will be a challenge for Purdue at home after a tough road trip to Arkansas State and UConn. Nice to face them at home, but after the last 2 weeks it'll be tough.

PostPosted: 11/25/06 12:32 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Orange][Krush wrote:
Last year, IIRC, the Zags got blown out at the Paradise Jam by Tennessee and Maryland and lost a somewhat close one to Michigan State. I don't see Gonzaga as a solid team, but I havent thought UCLA was a Top 25 team either.

I agree with you here. Without Nikki Blue and Lisa Willis, UCLA is nowhere near as good as they were last year and are definitely going to struggle to make the NCAA tourney.

bullsky

PostPosted: 11/25/06 12:38 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

fancy_daniel wrote:
Orange][Krush wrote:

I agree with you here. Without Nikki Blue and Lisa Willis, UCLA is nowhere near as good as they were last year and are definitely going to struggle to make the NCAA tourney.

Yup. You can't loose that much offense and still try to contend in the Pac 10 that could be as balanced as any conference there is.

However, Lindsey Pluimer is having a very nice junior campaign. That's good to see.

PostPosted: 11/25/06 8:48 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

I didn't think the Bruins were prepared to go on without Blue and Willis.

I feel bad for Noelle.

On the bright side, perhaps she'll drop to a later pick (Fever)

Yeah, I know - I'm dreaming.

LitePal

PostPosted: 11/25/06 10:38 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

I don't think UCLA womens basketball should ever lose to the Zags, no offense to them. UCLA is a top tier school that dominates other womens sports and womens basketball should be no exception. It doesn't happen and won't because of their Coach Olivier.

She's had the job for a long enough time and has had no results. I feel for her because she's obviously incompetent yet keeps her high profile job and continues to prove to the basketball world she doesn't know what she's doing.

Quinn or no Quinn, UCLA should have won that game. Since they also lost to Love and Basketball, this loss shouldn't be a surprise.

fancy_daniel

PostPosted: 11/27/06 1:08 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

LitePal wrote:
I don't think UCLA womens basketball should ever lose to the Zags, no offense to them. UCLA is a top tier school that dominates other womens sports and womens basketball should be no exception. It doesn't happen and won't because of their Coach Olivier.

She's had the job for a long enough time and has had no results. I feel for her because she's obviously incompetent yet keeps her high profile job and continues to prove to the basketball world she doesn't know what she's doing.

Quinn or no Quinn, UCLA should have won that game. Since they also lost to Love and Basketball, this loss shouldn't be a surprise.

Agreed 100 percent. Kathy Olivier has been doing an mediocre job especially the years when she had Maylana Martin and a tremendously talented supporting crew.

I'm really surprised she has kept this job at UCLA. She had several years in which the program did not make the NCAA's which is tough to believe. I see the other programs in the Pac-10 building and yet Olivier seems to waste talent constantly and do a poor job doing balanced recruiting.

UCLA has enough cachet to be among the elite, provided they have a top-notch coach. And they would not have a problem getting one. I would love to see a coach like Kim Mulkey, Charli Turner-Thorne or Brenda Frese. UCLA could land a coach of this caliber and I don't see why they don't try.

PUmatty

PostPosted: 11/27/06 1:32 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

I am not 100 percent sold on Dawn Staley as a coach, but I think they should go after her hard. If she applied at Miami, there seems to be a pretty good shot, and UCLA is a much better job than Miami.

LitePal

PostPosted: 11/27/06 11:25 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

I don't think there will be any lack of applicants when the job becomes available. Lots of names bandied about each year when people start seeing UCLA's record. Donovan, Staley, Cooper, etc. The problem is that Olivier appears to have an iron clad contract that seems to extend into eternity. She's like a really bad teacher in the LAUSD that everyone knows is bad but the administration keeps around because it wants to steer clear of the union.

umbeta1455

PostPosted: 11/27/06 12:50 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

At least the Zags are trying to play a tough out of conference schedule this season

dtsnms

PostPosted: 11/27/06 1:20 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Ann Meyers should be the logical choice to go home again, right?

fancy_daniel

PostPosted: 11/28/06 1:46 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

I'm not completely sold on Dawn Staley. But it would be a perfect opportunity to grab someone like Jen Rizzoti from Hartford.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    RebKell's Junkie Boards Forum Index » NCAA Women's Basketball - General Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: