RebKell's Junkie Boards
Board Junkies Forums

Big Ten teams games/news/views thread
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    RebKell's Junkie Boards Forum Index » NCAA Women's Basketball - General Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
No 1 Throwdown

PostPosted: 11/20/06 2:09 pm    ::: Big Ten teams games/news/views thread Reply Reply with quote

this is much easier than individual 3 post game-by-game threads...

MSU center Dehaan had a school record 8 blocks(with 11pts, 11rebs) in last nights game and Mia Johnson(pg) brings some needed firepower to replace Bowen.

MSU also has nearly no bench this year. =/

fyi- The lady Gophers/buckeyes/boilermakers/lions/badgers/hoosiers/Illini/wolverines/
northwestern/hawkeyes all suck Smile

Wink

Red Panda 4 life

Last edited by No 1 Throwdown on 11/21/06 12:02 pm; edited 1 time in total
#4-MSU-4ever

PostPosted: 11/20/06 5:57 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Hello all! I am putting my foot tentatively into the Rebkell waters. I have been lurking for 2 years or so & finally decided we needed some more MSU fans posting here. Billups, I am always thrilled to read your posts about "my" team because you are both informative & objective. I am not nearly as knowledgeable about X's & O's but will just try to be informative/observational in my posting. Will say that I very much enjoy this site & feel like I have learned a tremendous amount from everyones' comments & insight.

MSU's bench strength is not good right now, but there is a good chance for improvement. Courtney Davidson, a very slick-passing point guard is just coming back from achilles surgery this summer. She wasn't supposed to return until Jan. but is ahead of schedule. She can shoot the three, is a good ball handler & phenomenal passer & was possibly in line to start this year before her injury.

Laura Hall, has never really panned out, although she has played well for stretches here & there. Can't really tell how she will be yet this year as she is battling a lingering foot injury, & only playing limited minutes.

Katrina Grantham had an off year last year. She is not starting material, but she plays smart, gets the most out of what she has, & embraces whatever role she is asked to play. She looks to be in excellent physical condition this year & is playing very well. Coach P. has her in primarily for rebounding & setting picks, but has also been getting some scoring from her--I beleive in the 4-8 ppg range.

Myisha Bannister is the big question mark. Lack of aggressiveness has always been a problem with her, but she was playing the best ball of her career & had broke into the starting line-up before she went down for season with an ACL. She is still rusty--so I am reserving judgment on her until she gets more playing time under her belt this year. It would be a tremendous help if she could return to the form she was starting to show before she went down last year.

So there is hope & possibility that the bench can be much better than they have shown so far in the regular season.

DeHaan has been spectacular so far, even though she looks a little nervous. She needs to remember to ALWAYS be aggressive, sometimes she plays timid. She has broken the MSU single-game blocked shot record twice now--once in pre-season & last night against UT Arlington. I have no illusions, however, the big girls--Davenport, etc. are going to push her around--we will see how she responds to it.

Overall I am cautiously optimistic, I think they will be better than I originally thought, but will be pleasantly surprised if they make the Sweet 16 this year, not expecting it--but 2005 taught us anything is possible.

OOps! I got kinda windy! Sorry I will be shorter next time.

GoChicamores

PostPosted: 11/20/06 7:22 pm    ::: MSU vs. ISU Reply Reply with quote

Welcome! I don't post much, but I certainly read a lot.

I'm headed up for the MSU/Indiana State game this Friday. I'm hoping it will be a decent game.

ISU barely lost to Iowa last week, and trounced Arkansas-Pine Bluff Saturday 116-73 on Saturday. We are young, with only 1 senior on the roster, but our freshmen look great.

Any recommendations on things I should do, or a good restaurant to check out?

Jerrybear

PostPosted: 11/20/06 9:34 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Michigan just routed U of Detroit-Mercy to go to 3-1 on the season. Lots of strange appearing personnel decisions the last couple games by Coach Burnett, with our only senior (Kelly Helvey) hardly getting any minutes and the younger players getting lots of PT. This basically started after a disappointing loss to Ball State, and Michigan has won two in a row so who am i to question the coach???

There is, IMO, a lot of potential for Michigan this season, but they are still on the youngish side and they still have a lot to prove. They absolutely can't keep losing to MAC or MAC-cailber teams, they need to start beating some middle of the road Big Ten and other major conference teams, and at least hang tough with (and beat one or two) of the better teams.

So at this point i am cautiously optimistic about Michigan this season. i think the keys are for everyone to stay healthy and for everyone to at least contribute something. then, a few players need to step up and be the leaders.

No 1 Throwdown

PostPosted: 11/21/06 12:03 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Yay, this could work! Idea

#4-MSU-4ever wrote:
Billups, I am always thrilled to read your posts about "my" team because you are both informative & objective.

OOps! I got kinda windy! Sorry I will be shorter next time.

Oh thanks Embarassed

Great post you expressed some things I really agree with.

Davidson is very smart with the ball and has the accuracy to nail plenty of 3's (sometimes those 2 qualities hard to find in WCBB)

Mia Johnson is high risk high reward, it looks like we will see some 7ast 5 TO games.

I try to think of Dehaan like Yao Ming, super tall finess and ability to dominate. ITS CLEAR SHE WONT BE A STIFF, she isnt a darko Razz

Laura Hall is rather tall but gets blocked alot =/, Jefferson is pretty tough and rackups garbage buckets which will help when Dehaan gets doubled. Both will be matchup problem.

We all know VLP & Haynes will slash like crazy, play tough D, and hit some threes.

Red Panda 4 life
accommodatingly

PostPosted: 11/21/06 12:58 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

I like this thread. State barely had a bench when they made the nat'l championship game (though Rene Haynes is better than most groups of three or four guards): barring further injury, MSU could go far. I like Aisha Jefferson, don't like Hall, am excited to see DeHaan. When's the first time they're on TV?

I've seen some predictions that Burnett would finally turn the Wolverines around this year: let's see how they do against good teams. I'm still skeptical.

I don't think the Hawkeyes are gonna suck. Not Final Four material, to be sure, but promising: Schlapkohl and Skouby together are a pretty strong frontline, no?

#4-MSU-4ever

PostPosted: 11/21/06 4:04 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Quote:
When's the first time they're on TV?

I checked the media guide & will give you all the nat'l. scheduled games--Jan. 1 at Maryland--CBS, Jan. 28 at Rutgers--ESPN2, Feb. 1 Penn State--CSN Chicago, Feb. 11 at Purdue--ESPN2, Feb. 18 at Ohio State--CSN Chicago. Really tough opponents--hope MSU can at least be competitive on nat'l. TV Laughing maybe even win a few. We'll see.

Quote:
I don't think the Hawkeyes are gonna suck.

From watching Skouby's freshman performance last year she should really be an impact player for Iowa this year. They were no slouches last year, they snuck up on MSU & put a whupping on last year during the regular season. They could be one of those sneaky good teams this season. I really don't know anything about their new players as I haven't seen them yet.

Quote:
There is, IMO, a lot of potential for Michigan this season

I would love to see Michigan do well even though I root for MSU. It would really be fun if UM could be good enough that the big rivalry is fun again. The last 2 seasons we have beaten them so badly that you just feel sorry for them. Last season was a disaster that should never happen to anyone, even UM Very Happy Losing half your roster & having to recruit volleyball players must have been a nightmare for the coaching staff. Burnett may not be the answer there, but you have to give her a pass on last season.

I like this thread too--other than the hoardes of Gopher fans (no disrespect) & a couple of Purdue people, IMO the BIG 10 is very underrepresented here in Rebkell Land. We need to stick together. Very Happy

Whoops I kinda messed up my quotes, oh well, I'll learn.

msuwmnhoops

PostPosted: 11/21/06 7:37 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Hey all, I have not really posted anything much either the last year, only a lurker. Its nice to see others taking notice of DeHaan at MSU. She needs to get more comfortable with teams who play her physical. I will be interested to see how she does against Sylvia Fowles and LSU next month. Glad to see all the Big 10 teams doing so well. GO SPARTANS!!

MNfan22

PostPosted: 11/21/06 10:40 pm    ::: Big 10 fans Reply Reply with quote

For all you lurking Big 10 fans (and everyone else of course) if you didn't know there is a nice
Big 10 msg board
" HERE " Wink

Just another place to chat about your favorite conference and teams Very Happy

PostPosted: 11/22/06 11:39 pm    ::: Michigan tonight Reply Reply with quote

Michigan squeeked by at Toledo tonight, bringing their record to 4-1. Duke comes to A2 Saturday.

No 1 Throwdown

PostPosted: 11/23/06 11:33 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

MSU lost to hofstra 57-53 or something... Yeah, what the frick!

Nobody on MSU shot well and Coach P was pissed about so many TO's to a pure zone.

Hofstra hustled a crap load for there 1st win over a ranked opponent.

Red Panda 4 life
readyAIMfire53

PostPosted: 11/23/06 1:40 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Oopsie, did someone forget to post the score of Penn St vs Duke?

I was there to watch Duke put the "beat down" on Rene's squad to the tune of Duke 70 - 42 Penn St.

I encourage all schools who will be hosting Penn St this season to put out a similar "welcome wagon" that Duke fans did with Rene. By the way, if players on your team feel the same way about Rene's reproachable behavior, they will also pull energy from the crowd as Duke players did. Basically, our players showed no mercy out there.

Let's keep sending Rene the message LOUD and CLEAR: Her hatred of a group of people is as old-fashioned as her hair style. There is NO place for haters like her the new world of women's basketball.

For any here who might feel I'm being harsh, I'm helping to give voice to the many young women who have been hurt badly by Rene Portland over the years, some of whom lost their college scholarships simply because they "looked gay" or were friends with someone who "looked gay". THAT is what is HARSH.

Just say NO to bigotry - Rene = bigot

~rAf

~rAf
#4-MSU-4ever

PostPosted: 11/23/06 10:01 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

I was at the MSU/Hofstra game last night & it took me this long to be able to talk about it Laughing

MSU played pretty good defense throughout the whole game, & the last 5 minutes their defense was particularly ferocious. They managed to hold Hofstra to about 36% overall shooting & 29% for the 2nd half. That was the bright side. They defended the 3 pretty good, but the guard for Hofstra (#10, I can't remember her name but she had 24 pts. & was 5-7 from 3-pt. land) was knocking down 3's no matter how many hands/bodies were in her face. It seemed like she couldn't miss.

It was one of those nights where everything MSU threw up either rimmed out or teetered around on the rim for an eternity before bouncing in the direction where you don't get any points if you get my drift. Hofstra played really good defense but MSU had its chances.

Another bummer observed from the stands was the fact that MSU apparently had butter on their fingers especially in the 1st half. Dropped passes, passes caught & then fumbled out of bounds, or the no-doubters where it simply sails over the recipient's head (waaaaaaay over) to out-of-bounds land.

They also didn't get a whole lot of 2nd chance points. It looked like they were getting seriously outrebounded. I was surprised the differential was only +3 for Hofstra.

Hofstra HUSTLED their butts off for 40 min. It seemed they got to every loose ball and so on.

MSU also seemed tentative on offense, like no one wanted to take the shot. They were passing up open shots to dish it off to someone else.

DeHaan I hope learned a valuable lesson. She was getting ganged up on & boxed out very effectively on rebounds. She will have to learn to deal with that. With Jefferson clearly being far from 100% right now, we didn't have any more options other than the guards.

Hope they can put forth a bit more effort on Fri.

GO GREEN!! Very Happy Very Happy

GoChicamores

PostPosted: 11/24/06 8:53 am    ::: MSU vs. ISU Reply Reply with quote

Saw there is no tv/radio from MSU, so here is the link to ISU's radio if you want to listen.

http://www.indstate.edu/wisu/index.php

umcp77

PostPosted: 11/24/06 10:36 am    ::: Just a clarification... Reply Reply with quote

Quote:
I checked the media guide & will give you all the nat'l. scheduled games--Jan. 1 at Maryland--CBS, Jan. 28 at Rutgers--ESPN2, Feb. 1 Penn State--CSN Chicago, Feb. 11 at Purdue--ESPN2, Feb. 18 at Ohio State--CSN Chicago. Really tough opponents--hope MSU can at least be competitive on nat'l. TV maybe even win a few. We'll see.

Actually, the Michigan State-Maryland game is Saturday, Jan. 6 on CBS, 2 p.m. ET from Comcast. Am looking forward to a good intersectional battle, as well as seeing how DeHaan handles Harper and Langhorne.

PostPosted: 11/25/06 11:01 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

MSU might get rolled over that game.

They got a angry win over indiana state, upset over that Hoffstra loss Im sure. VLP dropped a career high 30pts! (7reb, 6ast, 5stl)

Dehaan can jump a little bit for 6'9" Surprised (17, 9, 4blk tonight)

Red Panda 4 life
BallState1984

PostPosted: 11/25/06 10:22 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

There is, IMO, a lot of potential for Michigan this season, but they are still on the youngish side and they still have a lot to prove. They absolutely can't keep losing to MAC or MAC-cailber teams, they need to start beating some middle of the road Big Ten and other major conference teams, and at least hang tough with (and beat one or two) of the better teams.

Thus saith a fan of a team which went 6-23 and nuthin' for 16 in the Big Ten last season. So what was the excuse for the past five years?

stever

PostPosted: 11/30/06 10:25 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Michigan State's Alyssa DeHaan: 28,10 and 5 vs. Rhode Island:
http://www.newsvine.com/_news/2006/11/29/462625-dehaans-28-leads-no-20-michigan-state

Michigan's 6'6" Canadian frosh Krista Phillips: 14,9 and 7 vs. Central Michigan:
http://sports.yahoo.com/ncaaw/news;_ylt=AhkwgM4uKz8y..kfDpZZSkBz2LYF?slug=uwire-michiganacceptsgiftfromcha&prov=uwire&type=lgns

No 1 Throwdown

PostPosted: 11/30/06 7:21 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

One night Jefferson gets 17pts 15rebs

the next game

Dehaan(tall girl) gets 28pts 10rebs 5blks

haha Pf Jefferson had a 5ast game Surprised

TO's are still over 20... Confused ugh this team would be top10 easily with a quality pg. (get well mia johnson) or 100%

Red Panda 4 life
shock6666

PostPosted: 12/01/06 9:38 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Michigan just lost a heart breaker to Notre Dame. UM should have had this one but they let it slip away at the end. Nice crowd for a change though. UM was up by 1 pt with about 37 seconds to go and the freshman #2 Bass goes to the FT line and misses both FT shots. Then on the ensuing possession, Bass fouls a ND player......can't remember who she fouled, just remember it was a JR. Of course the JR makes both shots to put ND ahead. UM travels on the next possession with 7 seconds on the clock..change of possession....sad ending. However, it was fun to finally sit in a stadium with lots of cheering fans that actually had something to cheer about for once. That Burnett is a trip and half to watch coach. Jumping up and down, stomping her feet...

mzonefan

PostPosted: 12/02/06 9:41 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

shock6666 wrote:
Michigan just lost a heart breaker to Notre Dame. UM should have had this one but they let it slip away at the end.

They lost it in the 30 turnovers!

shock6666

PostPosted: 12/02/06 9:46 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

mzonefan wrote:
shock6666 wrote:
Michigan just lost a heart breaker to Notre Dame. UM should have had this one but they let it slip away at the end.

They lost it in the 30 turnovers!

True...and all the scoring droughts....However, despite all of that, they had this game in their grips. Too bad ND had a little more composure at the end and the young freshman choked. Hopefully she learned something from this one.

mzonefan

PostPosted: 12/03/06 5:31 pm    ::: another Michigan win Reply Reply with quote

Michigan came back from Friday's heartbreaker and beat Miami (FL) today 60-55. At 6-3, U-M has equalled their win total of last season. Next up is a game at the other Miami (OH).

shock6666

PostPosted: 12/03/06 5:38 pm    ::: Re: another Michigan win Reply Reply with quote

mzonefan wrote:
Michigan came back from Friday's heartbreaker and beat Miami (FL) today 60-55. At 6-3, U-M has equalled their win total of last season. Next up is a game at the other Miami (OH).

Whew, is all I can say after that one! I hope they work on inbouding the ball under pressure this week. That got a little scary at the end. However it looks like the young ones are starting to become a little more composed under pressure.

No 1 Throwdown

PostPosted: 12/04/06 10:57 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Dehaan Just stuffed South Florida in a competitive game. 79-71 MSU!

20pts 9rebs 8blks... I cant wait for the inevitable triple-doubles. Cool

7 player rotation this game for MSU O_o (Im guessing Davidson isnt 100%)

Red Panda 4 life
Post new topic   Reply to topic    RebKell's Junkie Boards Forum Index » NCAA Women's Basketball - General Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: