RebKell's Junkie Boards
Board Junkies Forums

Tennessee-ASU
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    RebKell's Junkie Boards Forum Index » NCAA Women's Basketball - General Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
accommodatingly

PostPosted: 11/19/06 3:30 pm    ::: Tennessee-ASU Reply Reply with quote

We need a thread. It's televised. Vols up four at the half. Sun Devils knocked off Connecticut in this tournament last year; can they knock off Connecticut's biggest rival?

deanjet

PostPosted: 11/19/06 3:36 pm    ::: Re: Tennessee-ASU Reply Reply with quote

I've got a question: has Spencer missed a shot this year?

It just seems like in big games (UConn last year, LSU--SEC tournament, UNC) that she makes every shot she takes.

PostPosted: 11/19/06 3:38 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

I saw the CP3 sign from "Diana" but I think the idea behind it was lost on the announcer.

12:17 to go and UT is fired up!

deanjet

PostPosted: 11/19/06 3:47 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Tennessee looks like a different team in the 2nd half:

Up by 22 with 9:12 to go.

PostPosted: 11/19/06 4:13 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

I watched this game thinking how "unfair" it is that Candace Parker is so much better than every player on the court and in the nation. Damn...what incredible talent! She's got guard skills at 6-5. Another Lady Vol who impressed me was Hornbuckle. She's been working on that pull-up jumper, I see. Wink

As for the Sun Devils, Westerberg (of course) was impressive and I like what I saw out of January. They're a really good team that other teams will be afraid to play come March.

83-74 final. The game was close for 25 minutes until Tennessee turned up that tenacious D.

Edit: typos

Mathies to LA 2013

Last edited by bballfan2005 on 11/19/06 4:42 pm; edited 2 times in total
deanjet

PostPosted: 11/19/06 4:14 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

ASU played well the last 7-8 minutes cutting the margin to 9.

PostPosted: 11/19/06 4:25 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Go Anosike! Cool

PostPosted: 11/19/06 4:32 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

bballfan2005 wrote:
I watched this game thinking how "unfair" it is that Candace Parker is so much better than every player on the court and in the nation. Damn...what incredible talent! She's got guard skills at 6-5. Another Lady Vol who impressed me was Hornbuckle. He's been working on that pullp-up jumper, I see. Wink

As for the Sun Devils, Westerberg (of course) was impressive and I like what I saw out of January. They're a really good team that other teams will be afraid to play come March.

83-74 final. The game was close for 25 minutes until Tennessee turned up that tenacious D.

Yeah, she was killing it in the first half. The girl had like 16 points at the 8 minute mark of the first half Shocked

I wanna know what is up with the ankle? Is it just me, or does she sprain the thing damn near every televised game? She might be a great athlete, but I personally think she's clumsy as hell.

bballjunkee212

PostPosted: 11/19/06 4:52 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Okay, if we can take off the Candace-colored glasses for a moment, let's consider two points:

1) Parker scored about half of UT's first-half points. Something like that is always symptomatic of offensive problems, especially for a team that outmatches its opponents physically; and

2) Early in both halves, when ASU still had the stamina and adrenalin to push UT, UT didn't respond any too well-- lotsa mistakes, a reluctance to play at a faster pace.

I wonder what UT will do against a team that matches up better with them physically? Like Stanford.

PostPosted: 11/19/06 4:52 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

I wouldn't say that Candace is clumsy, I just think that ankle is very weak. I know they said that she strengthened it during the summer but obviously it is still giving her some trouble.

The one thing that I would like to see Candace do, is be more agressive on the defensive end. I wish she would work on pushing the posts further out instead of letting them get good position and then just putting her hands up. This seems to work in the college game because people have trouble shooting over her but I don't think it will work in the Pros. When she was playing on the national team she seemed to push people away from the basket and make them work to score. I would really like to see her get back to that.

One more thing, she did a very good job of sealing on the offensive end, so that when the ball was reversed, she got some easy hoops.

Even the greats have things that they can improve on!!! Shocked LOL
BBallFanCT729

PostPosted: 11/19/06 4:57 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

bballjunkee212 wrote:
Okay, if we can take off the Candace-colored glasses for a moment, let's consider two points:

1) Parker scored about half of UT's first-half points. Something like that is always symptomatic of offensive problems, especially for a team that outmatches its opponents physically; and

2) Early in both halves, when ASU still had the stamina and adrenalin to push UT, UT didn't respond any too well-- lotsa mistakes, a reluctance to play at a faster pace.

I wonder what UT will do against a team that matches up better with them physically? Like Stanford.

Agreed on both points. I also felt that ASU did a good job at rattling the two point guards, Bobbitt & McMahan. The offense seemed to flow better when Hornbuckle was at point then when the previous two mentioned were. They weren't handling pressure by ASU well when ASU still had gas in the tank to do so.

I think another interesting game for TN will be UNC. A good balance of power and athleticism on that team.

flojojr2007

PostPosted: 11/19/06 4:57 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

bballjunkee212 wrote:

I definitely think that Pat will have them prepared on both sides of the court. Also, I'm sure if Stanford will gamble as much as ASU seemed to do today.
fancy_daniel

PostPosted: 11/19/06 4:59 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

I think ASU did pretty well considering that Tennesse is so physically gifted. They had their opportunities but got rattled a few times by the Lady Vols defense. It should have been a closer game. I think what it came down to was experience. ASU is primarily freshmen and sophomores. However, they need a bigger presence in the post for sure.

As for Candace's anke, I used to be a distance runner and some people truly do have weak ankles. I think most people have some body part that is not as strong the rest of their body, especially when it comes down to being an exceptional athlete like her.

luvDhoops

PostPosted: 11/19/06 5:01 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

bballjunkee212 wrote:

Not really. ASU really couldn't do a thing with her in the first half so UT did what any smart team would do when the opposition isn't stopping your go-to player... they continued to feed her and she scored nearly at will. Also, UT built their largest lead of the game with her sitting on the bench. UT opened up the second half with a 10-0 run so I don't know what you mean about early in both halves UT not responding well.

UT's main problems were from the fouls they were called for. At halftime they had six players with two fouls. Clever ass Shannon Bobbitt was getting called for so many hand checks, at one point she began guarding the player on the perimeter with both her hands behind her back. It was funny.

flojojr2007

PostPosted: 11/19/06 5:03 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

luvDhoops wrote:
bballjunkee212 wrote:

Not really. ASU really couldn't do a thing with her in the first half so UT did what any smart team would do when the opposition isn't stopping your go-to player... they continued to feed her and she scored nearly at will. Also, UT built their largest lead of the game with her sitting on the bench. UT opened up the second half with a 10-0 run so I don't know what you mean about early in both halves UT not responding well.

UT's main problems were from the fouls they were called for. At halftime they had six players with two fouls. Clever ass Shannon Bobbitt was getting called for so many hand checks, at one point she began guarding the player on the perimeter with both her hands behind her back. It was funny.

Lol!! I saw that and I start crackin up. I think Bobbitt had quite a few travels called on her too. Maybe she should start counting her steps out loud so that they won't call those either!!! LOL. Too funny...
RubberTroll

PostPosted: 11/19/06 6:00 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

gpark33 wrote:
I saw the CP3 sign from "Diana" but I think the idea behind it was lost on the announcer.

Rebkellian potd41 holding sign, sitting next to slovy.

gpark33

PostPosted: 11/19/06 6:05 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

RubberTroll wrote:

Cool. Did she see it?

RubberTroll

PostPosted: 11/19/06 6:10 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

gpark33 wrote:
RubberTroll wrote:

Cool. Did she see it?

Don't know if she saw that one, but she certainly saw the one's we were holding 10 feet away from her during the pregame stretches.

gpark33

PostPosted: 11/19/06 6:15 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

RubberTroll wrote:
Don't know if she saw that one, but she certainly saw the one's we were holding 10 feet away from her during the pregame stretches.

Didn't see that one... do tell...

RubberTroll

PostPosted: 11/19/06 6:26 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

gpark33 wrote:
RubberTroll wrote:

Didn't see that one... do tell...

Caune made up a bunch of signs, all pretty much like the one that was on TV.
Most of us were too lazy/chicken to hold them up. Didn't want to appear on
the AP wire Smile

All pretty much "please graduate early, love { cappie | diana | mercury brigade }"

Pretty hard to miss when someone is holding one in their lap in the courtside
seat right next where you are stretching with the large green rubber band.

Mercury player Kayte Christensen and Jennifer Lacy where there. As well as ex
Mercury Jen Gillom and Bridget Pettis. Yes, Mercury GM Ann Meyers too.

Had a ASU Booster/Mercury STH reception before the game.

Last edited by RubberTroll on 11/19/06 6:35 pm; edited 1 time in total
flojojr2007

PostPosted: 11/19/06 6:30 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

LOL!!! Did she respond or show any emotion when she saw the signs? I wonder if CP3 has a fav WNBA team or atleast a team that she would want to play for. I'm sure if someone asked she would say something like, "I really don't mind, it's just a blessing to possibly play at that level..." LOL. Hopefully, someone will ask and she'll prove me wrong by actually answering the question.
CB

PostPosted: 11/19/06 6:50 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Tennessee seemed to score layups at will, but they still weren't real easy layups. There was some horsepower behind them.

Nice comeback to be within 4 at halftime.

Westerberg's miss and put back that they replayed a few times was nice, and spirited.

I saw the sign, and I agree, the announcer kind of chuckled, said that's not happening, but didn't seem to completely get it.

Pat said she scheduled some of these teams in the West because she wants to know every kind of basketball that's being played (paraphrased) for when the tournament comes around as she knows she will face some of them in the tournament. They squashed UCLA.

potd41

PostPosted: 11/19/06 6:52 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

RubberTroll wrote:
gpark33 wrote:
RubberTroll wrote:

Cool. Did she see it?

I'm pretty sure CP3 saw my sign, but I know the coaches saw it because they were looking in my direction and laughing. I was sitting on a floor seat directly across from the Tenn. bench.
Even though ASU lost, we hung in there and didn't let them run away with the game like they did against UCLA. I still believe we will be a dangerous team down the stretch.

LadyDevilFan

PostPosted: 11/19/06 7:14 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

potd41 wrote:
Even though ASU lost, we hung in there and didn't let them run away with the game like they did against UCLA. I still believe we will be a dangerous team down the stretch.

Yeah, I was proud that the team never gave up--devils never say die. Twisted Evil

In other news: every team I was pulling for this weekend lost (Michigan, Cal, and ASU in football, plus ASU mbball, and ASU wbball)...no lottery tickets for me!

Sun Devil Mercury Fan

PostPosted: 11/19/06 7:18 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

LadyDevilFan wrote:
potd41 wrote:

Yeah, I was proud that the team never gave up--devils never say die. Twisted Evil

In other news: every team I was pulling for this weekend lost (Michigan, Cal, and ASU in football, plus ASU mbball, and ASU wbball)...no lottery tickets for me!

Same here, LDF, what a crappy sports weekend. At least the band sounded great last night. Cool

Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: