RebKell's Junkie Boards
Board Junkies Forums

Stanford Message Board

Post new topic   Reply to topic    RebKell's Junkie Boards Forum Index » NCAA Women's Basketball - General Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
LadyDevilFan

PostPosted: 11/18/06 4:50 am    ::: Stanford Message Board Reply Reply with quote

Is there any chance I'll ever be able to read it again?

I'm a poor college student...buying a subscription at this point is not an option . And the Stanford board was a nice, reliable, up-to-date source of pac-10 women's bball info. I'm sad that I can't read the messages anymore. Sad

Does anyone know if this is maybe, hopefully, (pretty please!!), just a trial run with the whole subscription thing??

insidewinder

PostPosted: 11/18/06 10:45 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

It is supposed to be permanent. We had a lot of controversy about it on the board with many feeling we would lose too many people. The rationale for doing it according to the admin was that the privacy allowed better discussions, as has been true for the FB and MBB premium boards. So far I think it is a mixed bag. Traffic is fine and the conversations are indeed more candid and more interesting, but we do miss people like yourself.

RedEqualsLuck

PostPosted: 11/18/06 11:32 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

why not have a premium and public board? seems silly to shut out the "general" fan looking for a place to hang out and get information. Cutting your fan base's nose off to spite your face?

PostPosted: 11/18/06 4:26 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

I was wondering this too. That was a great board to surf, comment, post , exchange info etc. Come ncaa tourney time we were all pac 10!!!. I am certainly going to miss that.

Like someone just commented, why not have a private one and a public one?????

GO DEVILS

Sun Devil Mercury Fan

PostPosted: 11/19/06 9:43 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

I believe the Washington board on Scout.com did the same thing. Doesn't make sense.

PostPosted: 11/19/06 10:23 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

watch their traffic
D
r
o
p

PostPosted: 11/20/06 12:15 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

RedEqualsLuck wrote:
watch their traffic
D
r
o
p

Good, I hope so. They could at least allow people to still READ the posts even if they restrict posting to members only. Rolling Eyes

hoopfan24

PostPosted: 11/20/06 12:36 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

insidewinder wrote:
It is supposed to be permanent. We had a lot of controversy about it on the board with many feeling we would lose too many people. The rationale for doing it according to the admin was that the privacy allowed better discussions, as has been true for the FB and MBB premium boards. So far I think it is a mixed bag. Traffic is fine and the conversations are indeed more candid and more interesting, but we do miss people like yourself.

I would disagree that traffic is fine, unless you are counting comments between 4 posters. It's a bad move and told the admin so. sucks.

womens_hoops

PostPosted: 11/20/06 10:11 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

I hope it's not a trend.

I have always enjoyed reading the Stanford board. In the past few years, I have checked in there often to see what's up. It's been a good group of folks with both good hoops IQ and good insider insight into the program. I posted occasionally, but mostly just read.

Now it's gone. I don't have a scout pass, and I'm not planning to get one. I just un-linked the board from the blog.

I hope that some Stanford fans will post at places like this more often so the rest of us can keep up with the team.

rebkell
Site Admin

PostPosted: 11/20/06 10:23 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

womens_hoops wrote:
I hope it's not a trend.

I have always enjoyed reading the Stanford board. In the past few years, I have checked in there often to see what's up. It's been a good group of folks with both good hoops IQ and good insider insight into the program. I posted occasionally, but mostly just read.

Now it's gone. I don't have a scout pass, and I'm not planning to get one. I just un-linked the board from the blog.

I hope that some Stanford fans will post at places like this more often so the rest of us can keep up with the team.

What kind of membership does it require to read it? I have one of the scout subscriptions, to Inside Tennessee, which normally let me read the premium articles on the scout boards, do they expect us to have a separate subscription for each school?

womens_hoops

PostPosted: 11/20/06 10:41 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

rebkell wrote:
What kind of membership does it require to read it?

i dunno... i think any scout.com membership will do. i have none.

BBallFanCT729

PostPosted: 11/20/06 10:53 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

I have the UConn Insider subscription, and I can't read it. I believe you have to have the subscription to the Stanford site in order to read it, as I am able to read the Scout Network Insider articles, but I cannot read any school's premium board except for UConn's.

It is the school site administration's decision as to whether or not to have a subscription board or not. Some sites have all premium boards, while others maybe have one (for football recruiting, etc.).

hoopfan24

PostPosted: 11/20/06 10:58 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

yep, you have to pay $9.95 per month just to read the Bootleg.

I will post here more often to give updates/insights on Stanford -through Cardinal (color not bird) colored glasses.

Hi Bartie, Cth, Bill, etc.

Last edited by hoopfan24 on 11/20/06 11:18 am; edited 1 time in total
rebkell
Site Admin

PostPosted: 11/20/06 11:00 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

womens_hoops wrote:
rebkell wrote:
What kind of membership does it require to read it?

i dunno... i think any scout.com membership will do. i have none.

I can't read it, but I have a scout.com membership, I can read the premium content on the tennessee boards, but I can't access any of the other premium boards for any of the other sites. So, at this rate at $50 per school, times around 300 Div I schools, it would only require $15,000 dollars to be able to access all the forums and such on the scout boards. Such a deal, how could anyone resist.

womens_hoops

PostPosted: 11/20/06 11:28 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

rebkell wrote:
Such a deal, how could anyone resist.

yeah, exactly...

I understand that some people want to have private boards. I can see how you might be able to speak more freely if only a few people will read it. And maybe it's just a money grab too. Which is also understandable -- the boards cost money to run, and the people who run them want to make money.

Still, on the whole, it would be a bummer for women's basketball if this became a trend. Luckily, there will always be open boards that we can all access for free. Like this one...

PUmatty

PostPosted: 11/20/06 11:38 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

hoopfan24 wrote:

I will post here more often to give updates/insights on Stanford -through Cardinal (color not bird) colored glasses.

HOOP!

So glad to see you over here. Hope it's permanent.

BBallFanCT729

PostPosted: 11/20/06 11:49 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

womens_hoops wrote:
rebkell wrote:
Such a deal, how could anyone resist.

yeah, exactly...

I understand that some people want to have private boards. I can see how you might be able to speak more freely if only a few people will read it. And maybe it's just a money grab too. Which is also understandable -- the boards cost money to run, and the people who run them want to make money.

Still, on the whole, it would be a bummer for women's basketball if this became a trend. Luckily, there will always be open boards that we can all access for free. Like this one...

I don't think it will become a trend (at least I hope not). In my opinion, like you said, I understand having a premium/private board to discuss issues that maybe the 'general public' shouldn't talk about...yet Wink . However, I also think that a 'free' board should be available on your site to take part in. How is restricting part of your fanbase (as well as other WCBB fans) going to further the discussion about your team & WCBB in general? I don't think it does...but it's not my decision.

I was sad to see the Stanford board go premium, because it was one of my favorite ones to visit. That's why I am grateful to this board, as well as the Duke/Tennessee/UConn/etc. boards that allow discussion on a variety of topics (within limits).

hoopfan24

PostPosted: 11/20/06 12:36 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

PUmatty wrote:
hoopfan24 wrote:

HOOP!

So glad to see you over here. Hope it's permanent.

Hi Matty,
Good to see you too. Congrats on winning the WNIT. I was terribly disappointed that we lost early and didn't have the chance to play you at Maples. Oh well, maybe we can win at TN and/or GA.

bballjunkee212

PostPosted: 11/20/06 1:15 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Welcome to the Light Side, Hoop!

Will there be any local television on the UT game? If so, can I get a copy?

PostPosted: 11/20/06 1:25 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

bballjunkee212 wrote:
Welcome to the Light Side, Hoop!

Will there be any local television on the UT game? If so, can I get a copy?

Hey Bill,
Lighter side of what? Smile

No TV for Tenn/Stanford- which I why I am going in person. However, there will be a webcast (for $) on TN website.

I will give a fair and balanced report here. No mention of refs.

CamrnCrz1974

PostPosted: 11/20/06 2:01 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Sorry, the Stanford board is ridiculous. You can have a separate premium board while maintaining a free men's board, a free women's board, a free off topic board, a free political board, and a free other sports board. The Devil's Den (Duke board) does this.

Keegan

PostPosted: 11/20/06 5:07 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Yes, very disappointing. And the men's sports still have free boards. Ridiculous.

Nice to see you here Hoop Smile
Post new topic   Reply to topic    RebKell's Junkie Boards Forum Index » NCAA Women's Basketball - General Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: