RebKell's Junkie Boards
Board Junkies Forums

This crap pisses me off...
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    RebKell's Junkie Boards Forum Index » NCAA Women's Basketball - General Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
shizanna

PostPosted: 11/14/06 12:18 pm    ::: This crap pisses me off... Reply Reply with quote

This belongs in here too because it's a diss on a WCBB coach.

http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/15708145/

Quote:
He needs nine more to surpass Smith for the most wins as a coach in NCAA history.

They forgot to say MALE coach. Because written that way, it's a straight up false sentence.

Evil or Very Mad

Quote:
It was win No. 871 for Knight, who is now five wins shy of passing Adolph Rupp for second place in all-time coaching wins.

Nooooooo, that would move him into third.

PostPosted: 11/14/06 12:34 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Agreed. Now I'm equally pissed off. Mad

*Edit*

I decided to correct their oversight. I sent an e-mail to Sports@MSNBC.com saying:

Quote:
Regarding your article about the 'slapping' of a player by Bob Knight, I would like to correct an inaccuracy in the article.

http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/15708145/

In this article it is reported that:

"It was win No. 871 for Knight, who is five shy of tying Adolph Rupp for second place on the career list. He needs nine more victories to surpass Dean Smith for the most victories in Division I history."

Pat Summitt of the University of Tenneessee holds the record for most victories in Division I history.

Dean Smith holds the record for second place on the career list, which would put Adolph Rupp in third. If you want to say that Dean Smith has the most victories in Division I history, you have to specify that he has the most victories out of men's basketball coaches.

Please correct this oversight in the future, and give credit to Coach Summitt.

Thanks.

If you've got the time, drop them a note. Remind them who Coach Summitt is. Twisted Evil

Last edited by LadyDevilFan on 11/14/06 12:56 pm; edited 1 time in total
shizanna

PostPosted: 11/14/06 12:44 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

It wasn't an accidental mistake either. They wrote it several different ways.

Whatever. Pat's a better coach than Bobby anyway.

PostPosted: 11/14/06 1:22 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

shizanna wrote:
It wasn't an accidental mistake either. They wrote it several different ways.

Sorry, but I disagree. WCBB wants to be treated differently in everyting excpet this? I don't think Pat with that many wins means as much as a men's coach. The competition wasn't nearly as tough.

I would feel the same way if Geno was the coach that held the record too.

sbjules

PostPosted: 11/14/06 1:24 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Quote:

Good grief, Bobby's not even close!!

He wins only in chair throwing & choking of athletes.

eyevolley4

PostPosted: 11/14/06 1:30 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Agreed with bart, but they should specify men's basketball, otherwise it's really just not true. Regardless, both accomplishments are tremendous, but can't really be directly compared.

PostPosted: 11/14/06 1:40 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

OH MY GOSH! Wow, I'm really pissed off now Evil or Very Mad

If death meant just leaving the stage long enough to change costume and come back as a new character...would you slow down? Or speed up?
shizanna

PostPosted: 11/14/06 1:57 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

It has nothing to do with whether or not they should be compared. Pat Summitt has the most wins in NCAA Division I Basketball history. Period.

That was my point.

PostPosted: 11/14/06 2:02 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

I don't agree with his antics at times but he does win ball games and National Championships (3) , you can not deny him that fact.

Knight is a target of the media and yes he may of brought that on himself, but if the guy walks across the street the wrong way it's news. The players that play for him know this long before they have entered the locker room and if they don't they must not be from this planet.

The players that play for him give him 100% and in return it has given him the wins and National Championships

If you don't like the guy then here are your options:

1. Don't play for him
2. Don't read newspaper articles about him
3. Don't watch shows on ESPN about his life
4. Don't buy his books
5. Don't watch Tech games on T.V. or listen to broadcast via the radio

ect, ect.............. Rolling Eyes

Knight is far from being the only coach with a temper..........He's a target of the media and that alone say's it all.

" My best seasons in the WNBA have been the two that I spent in Indiana. Not only did I get the chance to play in front of some of the most passionate fans in the WNBA, but I also had an incredible opportunity to play alongside one of the best players in the history of the game in Tamika Catchings. " ANNA DEFORGE.
luvDhoops

PostPosted: 11/14/06 2:03 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

People always like to say that Pat's accomplishments aren't as impressive because it's women and the competition wasn't as great. However, people overlook all of the extras she had to endure just because it was women's basketball. She had to drive the team around herself in the beginning, had scholarship money to the grand total of a few thousand dollars, created a winning program and won respect in women's athletics despite the times and did all of this starting out at the young age of 22. I think she should be given credit for that or at least be respected enough to have the article mention that "Pat Summitt has 914 wins in NCAA women's basketball". Besides, it's the paper's job to report the facts and not their opinions. The fact is that in all of NCAA basketball, Pat has the most wins regardless of if they "think" it should or shouldn't count.

shizanna

PostPosted: 11/14/06 2:08 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Pat is in more HOF's than most men coaches too.

Ehh...they just put her in because she's a chick. Rolling Eyes

PostPosted: 11/14/06 2:19 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

I don't know whether Summitt's accomplishment is more or less impressive than Smith's or Knight's. It's definitely different, and shouldn't be compared directly.

PostPosted: 11/14/06 3:08 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

what kind of competition did Knight and Rupp and Smith face, if you're going to compare...

Much was made of Pat's accomplishment being both Men's AND Women's when it happened -- here they simply ignored the necessary qualifier.

No surprise. Same thing happened over at Russ' Christian Science Monitor blog. I emailed him, but no correction.

PostPosted: 11/14/06 3:30 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

RedEqualsLuck wrote:
Much was made of Pat's accomplishment being both Men's AND Women's when it happened -- here they simply ignored the necessary qualifier.

They are completely different sports. Why anyone is trying to bring them together into one is beyond me.

Orion

PostPosted: 11/14/06 8:07 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Clip on ABC showing the legendary Rolling Eyes Coach Knight slapping a Texas Tech player in the face during a time out.

I don't care how many games he wins. The man has little control over himself. He is a barbarian, IMO. Watch the clip. He just smacked the kid.

I will try to get the url, but that isn't my strong suit. Embarassed

PostPosted: 11/14/06 8:35 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

CamrnCrz1974 wrote:
RedEqualsLuck wrote:

They are completely different sports. Why anyone is trying to bring them together into one is beyond me.

Whether or not one should compare them, the issue is that men's and women's basketball were already brought together by the press when Pat tied and broke the record. Here is what the AP wrote after she tied Dean Smith:

Quote:
BYLINE: WIRE REPORTS
DATELINE: KNOXVILLE, Tenn.

Tennessee coach Pat Summitt's latest milestone victory was similar to so many others in her illustrious 31-year career. The Vols' 94-43 rout of Western Carolina (18-14) in an NCAA first-round game in the Philadelphia Regional on Sunday night was win No. 879 for Summitt, tying her with Dean Smith for the most victories in NCAA Division I history. Smith, the former North Carolina men's basketball coach, set the record in 1997, and Summitt could surpass it Tuesday against Purdue in the second round. Smith went 879-254 in 36 years with the Tar Heels.

And here is what the AP said when she broke the record:

Quote:
DATELINE: KNOXVILLE, Tenn.

Pat Summitt stands alone at the top of NCAA basketball. The Tennessee coach broke Dean Smith's career victory record Tuesday night, getting No. 880 in the Lady Vols' 75-54 win over Purdue in the second round of the NCAA tournament.

The sports media can't really have it both ways. Either Pat Summitt is the winningest coach in basketball or she isn't. If she broke Smith's record, which the media said she did, then Knight can't be going for a record that Smith no longer has. This really wouldn't even be an issue if the media just said, in regards to Knight and Smith, NCAA Division I men's basketball instead of just NCAA Division I basketball

timber

PostPosted: 11/14/06 9:25 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Two different games = two different record books.

PostPosted: 11/14/06 10:51 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Quote:
It was win No. 871 for Knight, who is five shy of tying Adolph Rupp for second place on the men’s career list. He needs nine more victories to surpass Dean Smith for the most victories in men’s Division I history.

CamrnCrz1974 wrote:

What are you saying? Don't women need to learn how to dribble, pass, rebound, run offensive plays, defend effectively? From a coaching standpoint - which is what this thread is concerned with - it's exactly the same sport.

I know you know the game - I'm just not sure what point you're trying to make.

bballjunkee212

PostPosted: 11/15/06 8:25 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

ESPN did the same thing last night, touting Knight's record, with no mention of Pat.

PostPosted: 11/15/06 8:30 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

OldMan wrote:
It was win No. 871 for Knight, who is five shy of tying Adolph Rupp for second place on the men’s career list. He needs nine more victories to surpass Dean Smith for the most victories in men’s Division I history.

Forgot to mention that MSNBC changed the text on the story. (see above) Guess you all made a difference Cool

LadyDevilFan

PostPosted: 11/15/06 10:57 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

OldMan wrote:
OldMan wrote:

Forgot to mention that MSNBC changed the text on the story. (see above) Guess you all made a difference Cool

Hooray! Cool

RedEqualsLuck

PostPosted: 11/15/06 11:10 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

never hurts to say "Thanks for listening to us"

Honey vs. vinegar, kids. Wink

Sports@MSNBC.com

Thanks for changing
the Knight story to clarify his record (men's basketball vs. all of basketball)

As a huge fan of women's basketball, and someone who keeps a jaundiced eye on the (lack) of coverage/respect media outlets give the sport, I appreciate your willingness to hear our concerns and adjust the story.

REL
NYC

PostPosted: 11/16/06 12:10 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

I sent a thank you.

PostPosted: 11/21/06 12:39 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

http://sports.espn.go.com/ncb/recap?gameId=263240269

ESPN is behind MSNBC on fixing as well...

Quote:
He remained three short of tying Adolph Rupp for second place on the career list and seven shy of breaking Dean Smith's record of 879.

Quote:
Texas Tech coach Bob Knight is poised to surpass Dean Smith as the winningest coach in Division I college basketball history.

Anyone know a good email addy for ESPN to send a message to?

PostPosted: 11/21/06 12:50 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

ESPN refers to men's college basketball as college basketball. Women's college basketball is called that. There is no point in combining the records for two different sports. The only issue would be calling college basketball "men's."

Post new topic   Reply to topic    RebKell's Junkie Boards Forum Index » NCAA Women's Basketball - General Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: