RebKell's Junkie Boards
Board Junkies Forums

Uconn vs Richmond recap
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    RebKell's Junkie Boards Forum Index » NCAA Women's Basketball - General Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
mercfan3

PostPosted: 11/13/06 10:31 pm    ::: Uconn vs Richmond recap Reply Reply with quote

The boxscore would tell you that Mel Thomas and Charde Houston were the best two players on the court. However, despite the boxscore, Ketia Swanier was the POG. She completely controlled the game, and despite people saying Kalana Charde and Mel are the most improved on the team..Ketia was incredible. She was her typical superfast self, but made great decisions with the ball at her top speed, often ending up with a wide open Uconn player. This was one of those times where statistics don't show you what really happened.

As for the other Uconn players, Kailli...not one of her better games. Brit was good for the few minutes she was in. Meg also looked very flustered. Renee was pretty good, not really as noticable..

Best lineup of the game was Charde, Tina, Mel, Ketia, Renee..I don't know why that one works so well, but they play really well together..(Not saying Kalana was bad, that was just the best lineup..)

Campion seemed to be a pretty good player. Although, IMO, Kalana should have been able to guard her better than she did. The girl did as good as anyone could do against DT, so Campion should have been a tad easier. With that said, they were a pretty good team, and even came back a little bit in the beggining of the second half. Uconn was just too talanted for them.

On a side note, a feel sorry for any team who plays at Uconn's home. I don't know if all student sections are that annoying to the opposing team..(it would be tough to be more annoying..) But the student section has got to be irritating.

PostPosted: 11/13/06 11:11 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

I really like the way Kalana & Charde work together. 34 points & 16 rebounds between the two...both worked hard on the glass & each can post up smaller players or slash to the hoop.

Ketia was amazing. That hesitation dribble before the over the shoulder slip pass to Kaili was *awesome*.

This UConn is fun...and the most UConn-like it's been since I'd say during portions of the 2002/2003 season.

dtsnms

PostPosted: 11/14/06 10:50 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

well I'll just say it's a good thing you two focused on Swanier, Houston and Greene, because you know it is forbidden to praise Mel Thomas on this board!

BBallFanCT729

PostPosted: 11/14/06 11:33 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

dtsnms wrote:
well I'll just say it's a good thing you two focused on Swanier, Houston and Greene, because you know it is forbidden to praise Mel Thomas on this board!

Mel was superb last night Smile . Draining 3s from all over & being her usual hustling self. Her release is a lot quicker. Mel, Renee, and Kalana will really benefit this season is Tina & Charde can do what they do.

mercfan3

PostPosted: 11/14/06 12:43 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

dtsnms wrote:

It's forbidden to praise Mel anywhere...without getting some sort of nasty feedback. Twisted Evil

She was great, as was Houston..(I wouldn't have said Greene as much..) But Ketia was just..WOW...I've always loved Ketia's speed, but thought she didn't make good decisions..(because she was going so fast she didn't have time to think..) But she was just incredible...I was suprised when I looked at the boxscore, I thought she had at least 10 assists.....I was speechless, really...She was just great. And I'll say it right now, I like Renee better than Swanier, But Ketia was just awesome..

PostPosted: 11/14/06 12:57 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

mercfan3 wrote:
It's forbidden to praise Mel anywhere...without getting some sort of nasty feedback. Twisted Evil

Oh please. When you overhype a player and unreasonaly inflate her skillset, it is only natural there will be some negative feedback.

No one said she wasn't a good player. But some of your posts make it seem as if she can turn water into wine and touching her garment heals the sick.

There is only one player like that, and she plays for Farmington. Smile

dtsnms

PostPosted: 11/14/06 1:00 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

CamrnCrz1974 wrote:
mercfan3 wrote:

Oh please. When you overhype a player and unreasonaly inflate her skillset, it is only natural there will be some negative feedback.

No one said she wasn't a good player. But some of your posts make it seem as if she can turn water into wine and touching her garment heals the sick.

Well, the player in Farmington part is right...but, yes, some people have STRONGLY IMPLIED that Mel Thomas just sucks. You are not one of them. And she turns bread into twinkies, don't you know that?

shizanna

PostPosted: 11/14/06 1:01 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

dtsnms wrote:
And she turns bread into twinkies, don't you know that?

Don't tell Kristin Haynie...

PostPosted: 11/14/06 1:52 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

CamrnCrz1974 wrote:
mercfan3 wrote:

I'd really like to know where some of my posts come off like that...I think she's a good player, not great, not going to be an All American..But underrated by quite a few people. (And I'm sorry, I have to believe I'm a touch right about that one because IMO, she does not get the most minutes a game, and she is not the team's returning leading scorer from last year because she's the cute little white girl...) And, yes she is my favorite player..One of my favorites to ever play at Uconn..(Battle and Taurasi the other two..)..

And As Dt said, some people really do just imply that she sucks..And no matter what she does, she always did something wrong...or it was because it wasn't against a good team, or the guards of the team were also slow (basically excuses..) Instead of a simple.."Mel Thomas had a good game"

edit: Shizanna..do you know how many calories Kristen Haynie has to eat a day. Wink

PostPosted: 11/14/06 3:02 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

mercfan3 wrote:
I'd really like to know where some of my posts come off like that...I think she's a good player, not great, not going to be an All American..But underrated by quite a few people. (And I'm sorry, I have to believe I'm a touch right about that one because IMO, she does not get the most minutes a game, and she is not the team's returning leading scorer from last year because she's the cute little white girl...) And, yes she is my favorite player..One of my favorites to ever play at Uconn..(Battle and Taurasi the other two..)..

Your arguments about why she would make a good WNBA prospect...she hustles. That describes high school players. She hustles...so do a lot of people. That doesn't make them WNBA prospects.

Your constant need to protect her from message board posters...here is a newsflash...why? I guarantee she isn't losing sleep over it...she is too busy with her college classesand preparing for her next game.

She has great games against less than stellar competition. She has trouble in big games with athletic defenders because she cannot create her own shot.

She is your favorite player? We knew that before you said it. It is readily apparent.

She was a McDonald's All-American, yet you claim she was somehow underrated. For what she did at UConn, Jessica Moore was underrated...not Mel Thomas.

mercfan3

PostPosted: 11/14/06 6:26 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

CamrnCrz1974 wrote:
mercfan3 wrote:

Your arguments about why she would make a good WNBA prospect...she hustles. That describes high school players. She hustles...so do a lot of people. That doesn't make them WNBA prospects.

Your constant need to protect her from message board posters...here is a newsflash...why? I guarantee she isn't losing sleep over it...she is too busy with her college classesand preparing for her next game.

She has great games against less than stellar competition. She has trouble in big games with athletic defenders because she cannot create her own shot.

She is your favorite player? We knew that before you said it. It is readily apparent.

She was a McDonald's All-American, yet you claim she was somehow underrated. For what she did at UConn, Jessica Moore was underrated...not Mel Thomas.

What is your problem? First off, you clearly have not read my posts, or are reading someone else's and confusing them with mine.

Where did I say she was a good WNBA prospect. I'd love to see her in the pros. IMO, if she finds the right team (like Shanna Zolman) maybe.. But I won't keep my hopes on it.

Mel Thomas is going to end up being the best basketball player she can possibly be with her physical abilities..That, IMO, is overachieving. You can list statistics all you want to...but as, even the game that this thread was supposed to be about should have shown you..(Where Ketia Swanier was the best player on the court, even though the box score would tell you otherwise..) statistics don't mean that much...especially if your ranking people out of highschool...Ashley Robinson was supposed to be better than Diana Taurasi...and, correct me if I'm wrong, wasn't Alana Beard ranked about 20th by Blue star..By your logic that would make Mel Thomas as good as Alana Beard.. Wink Unless of course the rankings were off...

There's not a constant need to protect her from message board posters, Honestly, have I mentioned her like in like 10 posts..that isn't even constant....Just maybe an annoyance, and a need to respond and defend my opinions..because God forbid they are different than yours...And no, I don't understand where some of the nastiness comes from..from some Uconn fans. You hear it at games and everything. It's the.."she just plays 40 minutes a game because she's white.." that's insulting, she couldn't have possibly earned it. But the bottom line is, a fan of hers cannot say anything positive about her without some sort of other criticism of Mel's game.

There is a constant need to defend my opinions, paritally because that's just who I am, and partially because I'm not going to let message board posters attack my posts, and not respond. But like it or not, you turned this thread into a "let's attack Mel Thomas's game" again..IMO, you still have an issue with me because I disagreed with you about Duke and Coach GG, and so you like to pick little fights with me about tiny things you disagree on. And this thread proves it...Because instead of mentioning anything about Dt's comment about praising Mel Thomas, you quote me and then attack that.

PostPosted: 11/14/06 7:33 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

You KEEP referencing the need to defend Mel Thomas because she is so often criticized on other boards...yet you never delineate the boards or the allegedly unwarranted criticism.

Quote:
Ashley Robinson was supposed to be better than Diana Taurasi...and, correct me if I'm wrong, wasn't Alana Beard ranked about 20th by Blue star..By your logic that would make Mel Thomas as good as Alana Beard..

Robinson...pre-ACL.

Beard...30th by Blue Star, top six according to ASGR. Mel Thomas was McDonald's All-American and was ranked in the top 25 by EVERY major recruiting service in the deepest HS class to date.

And either you do not understand my point or you are simply twisting it. You keep saying she is Mel "underrated." A player coming in with all of those accolades cannot be underrated.

Quote:
But the bottom line is, a fan of hers cannot say anything positive about her without some sort of other criticism of Mel's game.

It is not about being a fan. It is about your post. See below.

Quote:
But like it or not, you turned this thread into a "let's attack Mel Thomas's game" again..IMO, you still have an issue with me because I disagreed with you about Duke and Coach GG, and so you like to pick little fights with me about tiny things you disagree on. And this thread proves it...Because instead of mentioning anything about Dt's comment about praising Mel Thomas, you quote me and then attack that.

You raise something not even addressed, which baffles me. The only issue I have was with your post and your post alone. Frankly, I have no idea what disagreement you are referencing.

This is not about me attacking Mel Thomas. Frankly, I don't care one way or the other about Mel Thomas. See DTS' posts...I NEVER said Mel Thomas "sucked." Please stop claiming I am attacking Mel Thomas...especially when it isn't true.

This is about YOUR claim you cannot praise Mel without any negative feedback. My response was when you CONSTANTLY praise her, especially when you overhype a player and unreasonaly inflate her skillset, it is only natural there will be some negative feedback. It was a general statement that is true of many players. As an example, I have posted plenty about the ridiculous nature of overhyping Candace Parker as well (see previous threads referencing versatility and playing point guard).

ThreeBall25

PostPosted: 11/14/06 8:08 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Cam, if you don't care about Mel Thomas, why does it bother you so much that when someone says she's underrated? You go on these long tirades about Mel and then you say you don't care one way or the other about her. Obviously you do, since that little statement gets to you when mentioning Mel.

CamrnCrz1974

PostPosted: 11/14/06 8:49 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

ThreeBall25 wrote:
Cam, if you don't care about Mel Thomas, why does it bother you so much that when someone says she's underrated? You go on these long tirades about Mel and then you say you don't care one way or the other about her. Obviously you do, since that little statement gets to you when mentioning Mel.

I go on long tirades? Hello pot, this is kettle.

My point was to distinguish what is truly "underrated."

You start the topic, then question when people respond to you. It doesn't work that way.

As for me, this thread could have been about any player. But your one note seems to be Mel Thomas.

And before you respond with the "why do you keep responding" argument, remember you asked me a question in your previous post.

ThreeBall25

PostPosted: 11/14/06 9:35 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

CamrnCrz1974 wrote:

I go on long tirades? Hello pot, this is kettle..

I don't even know what this means, but okay... Everytime you reply to a Mel Thomas post it always some long discussion on how she's slow but was a McDonald's AA in HS but you ARE NOT bashing her. Right.

CamrnCrz1974 wrote:

My point was to distinguish what is truly "underrated."

You start the topic, then question when people respond to you. It doesn't work that way.

As for me, this thread could have been about any player. But your one note seems to be Mel Thomas.

And before you respond with the "why do you keep responding" argument, remember you asked me a question in your previous post.

Oh I completely understand that you are responding to me, but how many times do you need to distinguish what is truly "underrated." What you think underrated is could be completely different to what I think underrated is. And if the player wasn't Mel Thomas, I doubt you would have much to contribute to this thread.

CamrnCrz1974

PostPosted: 11/15/06 12:35 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Quote:
Everytime you reply to a Mel Thomas post it always some long discussion on how she's slow but was a McDonald's AA in HS but you ARE NOT bashing her. Right.

Saying a player is slow is bashing the player??? Incidentally, where was the slow discussion here? Also, the McDAA reference was to the underrated notion Mercfan repeatedly raises...though somehow you claim I was responding to you

Seriously, ThreeBall, you managed to raise one issue not addressed in this thread, combine it with a completely unrelated issue raised by another poster, and conflated it into one argument regarding bashing, while claiming it was in response to your comments which it wasn't.

Quote:
And if the player wasn't Mel Thomas, I doubt you would have much to contribute to this thread.

Yeah, judging by my post count, I am really shy about posting about multiple players. Rolling Eyes

Oh, and ThreeBall, you might want to read DTS' comment above, since I never said Mel Thomas sucked.

dtsnms

PostPosted: 11/15/06 12:49 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

CamrnCrz1974 wrote:
Oh, and ThreeBall, you might want to read DTS' comment above, since I never said Mel Thomas sucked.

One thing y'all may want to think about....Cam has been disputing the idea Mel is underrated. If that's the case, that means he thinks she's NOT underrated, she's a good player. He does get pissy about people over-hyping Mel in his opinion at times, but it's because of the Mel is the next best thing since Diana ideas, not because he thinks she's a crappy player.

Just my interpretation. Now for some others on this board? Now that's a different story.

ThreeBall25

PostPosted: 11/15/06 5:08 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

My whole point was this was a combonitation of this thread along with the "unpopular opinions" thread, which I did not post in. So what I brought some things over from another thread - BAN ME NOW.

It seems like you are out to knock Mel Thomas down a few pegs on the top shooting gaurds in the contry... I feel like if this discussion was about someone like Kalana Greene (see left) you wouldn't have much to say/dispute if someone called her underrated, that's all.

CamrnCrz1974

PostPosted: 11/15/06 7:43 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

ThreeBall25 wrote:
My whole point was this was a combonitation of this thread along with the "unpopular opinions" thread, which I did not post in. So what I brought some things over from another thread - BAN ME NOW.

It seems like you are out to knock Mel Thomas down a few pegs on the top shooting gaurds in the contry... I feel like if this discussion was about someone like Kalana Greene (see left) you wouldn't have much to say/dispute if someone called her underrated, that's all.

Greene is underrated. Greene flew under the radar. Very few UConn (and WCBB) fans had even heard of her when she committed (I knew her name because she was a rival of then-Duke commitment, Keturah Jackson, as both players were considered the top two in South Carolina). Greene also has a lot of untapped potential, as she hasn't been playing basketball as long as other players. She is superbly athletic, a great rebounder for her size, and can play both in the post and on the perimeter. Very few people understand her value or have seen her in action to appreciate her skillset...that makes her underrated.

Thomas came in as a McDonald's All-American. How does that make her underrated? She came in as a consensus High School All-American, highly ranked by all recruiting services. Mercfan is using the term "underrated" and, IMHO, confusing it with "under-appreciated" (in her estimation). There is a BIG, BIG difference between the two terms.

Mel is a fine shooter. She has difficulty creating her own shot, but she is not alone in that regard. But she is not in the same league as Candice Wiggins among the top shooting guards in the country.

I also talked about Parker in the unpopular opinions thread, FYI.

ThreeBall25

PostPosted: 11/15/06 8:39 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Thanks for the clarification Cam. I gotta defend my Huskies! I also think Mel Thomas is more under-appreciated whereas Greene is under-rated, but we will see how under-rated Greene is at the end of the season.

cthskzfn

Location: In a world where a PSYCHOpath like Trump isn't potus.

PostPosted: 11/16/06 9:54 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

very interesting.

i consider thomas to be OVERrated by most uconn fans.

i wish we were deeper at the 2-guard slot so that she would play a more appropriate 12-15 minutes/game instead of the 36 geno plays her, but because gemelos screwed him...

thomas has improved her shot-release. it remains to be seen how well she fares against real competition. she will feast, as per usual, on the scheduled patsies.

CamrnCrz1974

PostPosted: 11/16/06 12:23 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

cthskzfn wrote:
very interesting.

i consider thomas to be OVERrated by most uconn fans.

I have seen Thomas overrated by many UConn fans. Not saying she isn't a good shooter, but she does not have the upside that other UConn players have (Houston, Greene, Charles, Montgomery).

CTH hit the nail on the head regarding guard depth. Bart will tell you he thinks Abby Waner would have really helped in that department.

ThreeBall25

PostPosted: 11/16/06 1:48 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Obviously, someone like Waner, Arriran or Gemelos would have been HUGE help. Basically all we have is Thomas at the 2, and usually her stats are inflated because we play cupcakes at the beginning of the season (besides her awesome game vs Oklahoma last season in the WNIT Finals).

mercfan3

PostPosted: 11/16/06 10:40 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

CamrnCrz1974 wrote:
You KEEP referencing the need to defend Mel Thomas because she is so often criticized on other boards...yet you never delineate the boards or the allegedly unwarranted criticism.

Quote:
Ashley Robinson was supposed to be better than Diana Taurasi...and, correct me if I'm wrong, wasn't Alana Beard ranked about 20th by Blue star..By your logic that would make Mel Thomas as good as Alana Beard..

Robinson...pre-ACL.

Beard...30th by Blue Star, top six according to ASGR. Mel Thomas was McDonald's All-American and was ranked in the top 25 by EVERY major recruiting service in the deepest HS class to date.

And either you do not understand my point or you are simply twisting it. You keep saying she is Mel "underrated." A player coming in with all of those accolades cannot be underrated.

Quote:
But the bottom line is, a fan of hers cannot say anything positive about her without some sort of other criticism of Mel's game.

It is not about being a fan. It is about your post. See below.

Quote:
But like it or not, you turned this thread into a "let's attack Mel Thomas's game" again..IMO, you still have an issue with me because I disagreed with you about Duke and Coach GG, and so you like to pick little fights with me about tiny things you disagree on. And this thread proves it...Because instead of mentioning anything about Dt's comment about praising Mel Thomas, you quote me and then attack that.

You raise something not even addressed, which baffles me. The only issue I have was with your post and your post alone. Frankly, I have no idea what disagreement you are referencing.

This is not about me attacking Mel Thomas. Frankly, I don't care one way or the other about Mel Thomas. See DTS' posts...I NEVER said Mel Thomas "sucked." Please stop claiming I am attacking Mel Thomas...especially when it isn't true.

This is about YOUR claim you cannot praise Mel without any negative feedback. My response was when you CONSTANTLY praise her, especially when you overhype a player and unreasonaly inflate her skillset, it is only natural there will be some negative feedback. It was a general statement that is true of many players. As an example, I have posted plenty about the ridiculous nature of overhyping Candace Parker as well (see previous threads referencing versatility and playing point guard).

Okay, I think, first and foremost we just have different opinions on what "underrated/overachieving" is, as stated, IMO, with her work ethic, Mel will come out of Uconn as the absolute best basketball player she could possibly be with her physical abilities. She has easilyy had the most improvement I've seen from any Uconn player from Freshman to now beginning of her Junior year. That, too me, is overachieving, because she couldn't have possibly been any better. And for the record, despite Mel having the best statistics, I started out this thread, and stated that KETIA wowed me during Richmond game, that KETIA was the best player on the court. (And she wowed me again against Colgate too, I don't think Greene is the MIP player of the team..) Does she have flaws...no shit. Is she the most talanted player on the team, Nope..not even close.. (Now whether she's one of the most valuable members of the team, that is arguable..)

Second, don't even talk about twisting words. You make it seem like I think Mel's a goddess..(that status is only for Taurasi and Taylor..) I think Mel Thomas brings a lot of things that the seniors last year lacked. Leadership qualities...she's a winner. I don't think it was a coincidence that when Mel and Charde were the best players on the Court in big games, Uconn won (Oklahoma and LSU) and when Ann Strother was the best player on the court Uconn lost (Tenn Rutgers..) Anyway, my point, was ranking kids, and judging how much they have overachieved/underachieved based on Highschool is stupid. Coming into Uconn, Mel Thomas was short, slow, and took forever to get her shot off...and if she missed the first shot she wasn't taking another one..Her on court demeaner was still the same, and I became a fan her freshman year, because of that. I fully expected her to get 10-15 minutes a game, but felt that she was the only player on that team (her freshman year) with any sort of leadership qualities, and felt that Geno screwed up. Low and behold, the next year, She gets 40 minutes a game. Based on what I saw of her, her freshman year, until now, she has overachieved. And that was my point. Ranking kids out of highschool, and basing overachievement, underachievement or whatever is stupid. Based on how well Thomas played her freshman year, until now, she has overachieved. ACL tear or not, was Ashley Robinson going to be better than Taurasi...Did Alana Beard really overachieve, according to Bluestar, or did they just fuck up when they ranked her...

Third, I don't constantly praise her. For God Sakes I've said she was my favorite player, and that I thought she was underrated by many Uconn fans. I think the Mel Thomas plays terrible in big games is a myth, seeing as she only didn't play well against Tenn, UCLA (everyone sucked) and Rutgers (everyone sucked..) last year. And when I say most Uconn fans, I guess I'm refering to the more intelligent fans. Sure, Mel has her fangirls, but I believe that many (not all) of the more intelligent fans underestimate Mel, and how valuable she is to the Uconn team. And, yes, have flat out implied that she sucks.

Our PM disagreement, where you believed I ranked Duke too high. After that I made one comment, about believing that Mel was underrated, and then you made a comment where you felt that Mel was seen as Uconn's star/favorite player because she's white. And yeah, that did piss me off, I'm not even going to lie. You basically, in one sentence (intentional or not) said that Mel didn't deserve the amount of playing time she got, that Geno is racist because he gives her so much credit, that fans of Mel like her because she's white. Yeah, you pissed me off, but it was more about defending why I liked Mel, that it had nothing to do with her race, than "protecting" her.

And here, Dt said that you can't praise Mel on this board. And then I said you can't praise Mel anywhere. If you were to take a defensive stand on your arguments against Mel, why would you attack what I stated? If you didn't have a little urge to argue with me, why my statement? My statement CLEARLY had nothing to do with you or this board. My point was, typically, if you talk to an intelligent Uconn fan, and you praise Mel..there's a good chance you are going to hear about every single one of her flaws...and that isn't true for any other Uconn player on the roster. And why do I care? Because I'm sick of defending her, and it gets really old after a while. Isn't it a tad hypocritical for Uconn fans to pronounce Charde Houston an AA after her game against Team Concept, When Taurasi might have been the tallest player on the court (and She defended Mel..) but when Mel has a great game the next night it's because the other team was bad, not because Mel just had a good game. I don't think Mel is an AA, and Charde might be, but come on...Look, I don't think Mel can turn water into wine, or twinkies or whatever...but it just gets irritating after a while. Like, is it really that hard to say "Mel had a good game" without the "but"....

And sorry about the ridiculously long post.

PostPosted: 11/17/06 1:27 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Quote:
You basically, in one sentence (intentional or not) said that Mel didn't deserve the amount of playing time she got, that Geno is racist because he gives her so much credit, that fans of Mel like her because she's white.

Please do me a favor. Please do not summarize what I say because you never seem to get it right.

Quote:
And here, Dt said that you can't praise Mel on this board. And then I said you can't praise Mel anywhere. If you were to take a defensive stand on your arguments against Mel, why would you attack what I stated? If you didn't have a little urge to argue with me, why my statement? My statement CLEARLY had nothing to do with you or this board.

It is a MESSAGE board. People can respond to your opinions.

Quote:
My point was, typically, if you talk to an intelligent Uconn fan, and you praise Mel..there's a good chance you are going to hear about every single one of her flaws...and that isn't true for any other Uconn player on the roster. And why do I care? Because I'm sick of defending her, and it gets really old after a while. Isn't it a tad hypocritical for Uconn fans to pronounce Charde Houston an AA after her game against Team Concept, When Taurasi might have been the tallest player on the court (and She defended Mel..) but when Mel has a great game the next night it's because the other team was bad, not because Mel just had a good game. I don't think Mel is an AA, and Charde might be, but come on...Look, I don't think Mel can turn water into wine, or twinkies or whatever...but it just gets irritating after a while. Like, is it really that hard to say "Mel had a good game" without the "but"....

Mel's good games occur against certain types of opponents and not others.

As for Charde, she is more roundly criticized than Mel Thomas because of her maddening inconsistent performances. Like I said, everyone recognizes Charde's ceiling is higher, but she never seems to reach it consistently.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    RebKell's Junkie Boards Forum Index » NCAA Women's Basketball - General Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: