RebKell's Junkie Boards
Board Junkies Forums

My thoughts on the Purdue Hartford game

Post new topic   Reply to topic    RebKell's Junkie Boards Forum Index » NCAA Women's Basketball - General Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Michael

PostPosted: 11/13/06 10:57 am    ::: My thoughts on the Purdue Hartford game Reply Reply with quote

Maybe I was expecting too much from our team. I know I was expecting too much from Hartford. This game was good, and exciting and Purdue had long moments of brilliance, but that first 10-12 minutes was rough and ugly from my perspective. Fahkara was totally out of synch, Erin could not catch the ball, or when she did, could not get it on the floor before the second step, and Lindsey was missing bunny after bunny. We were getting out rebounded and the only reason we were leading was our interior defense was tremendous. This is where I start my rant on Hartford and Rizzotti. Apparently she didn't scout Purdue much, as she determined the best chances for her small team was to post up and attack Purdue's middle. Despite Purdue playing a sagging zone and blocking, deflecting or stealing several shots and interior feeds, Hartford did not adjust their game plan. On the other end, they decided to double team Erin Lawless (reasonably good idea, that one could be justified) and Danielle Campbell (HUH???) basically leaving Lindsey unguarded once the ball went to either of the other two. If Lindsey doesn't miss 3-4 close in shots to start the game, this one would have been a route from the beginning. the first real coaching adjustment by Hartford came after Purdue was up something like 74-37 when Rizzotti sent out Jamie McCabe with about 12 minutes to go in the game. Up until that point, Hartford had only attempted a handfull of 3s, missing them all. McCabe sank 2 in short order and 4 over the course of the last 12 minutes. Now, if you know you have this kind of a gunner on your bench, and the other team is clogging the middle and slow to rotate out to the perimeter, I would think a competent coach would have tried this girl while the game was still in doubt. They never did adjust to Lindsey as a scoring threat as she had open slashes to the basket all night. I expected more from Rizzotti for all the hype she has gotten as an up and coming coach. I just didn't see much in the way of effective in game adjustments and Purdue was able to pick Hartford apart in the last 30 minutes of the game. In addition to Lindsey's inability to hit bunnys at the start of the game, and Erin's turnover woes, FahKara had a turnover bug to start the game as well. The complexion of the game changed when Fahkara reentered it and BOOM! WENT OFF! She had 8 points including 2 threes in a 14-0 run to finish the half. She had a nice steal off the dribble that led to her getting a layup and her disruption of Hartford's PG pretty much stopped their offense cold. After that, it was all over but the final score as Hartford just let us dismantle them without any effective adjustment to what we were doing to them.

Michael

PostPosted: 11/13/06 12:04 pm    ::: Re: My thoughts on the Purdue Hartford game Reply Reply with quote

I too expected more from Rizzotti's team...I liked your analysis here and the extended one over on OGFP. FahKara just continues to improve, I'm really enjoying watching her mature from game to game, heck even 1st half to 2nd half. Wink Erin certainly was working hard, she was bloodied, bruised, and mad after the game...and ready to get after it Wednesday. Free throws is definitely an area to work at, if your gonna take it inside and draw that foul, you have to (or should be able to) convert from the line.

Ah Michael, one thing to nit pick...it's LindsAy not LindsEy...I know you can get it right! LOL!

PostPosted: 11/13/06 12:37 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Hmmm, second game, preseason tourney against a team she has had no reason to scout, and you expect Rizzotti to be a savior.

Oh well. Rolling Eyes

desafiada6

PostPosted: 11/13/06 12:49 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

dtsnms wrote:
Hmmm, second game, preseason tourney against a team she has had no reason to scout, and you expect Rizzotti to be a savior.

Oh well. Rolling Eyes

DTS, if you know you are playing a team during the season, aren't you supposed to scout them to prepare for the game?!? Purdue scouted Hartford...
"We did a good job with the scouting report," Wisdom-Hylton said, "and listening to what players did what. We were able to stop them."

I wasn't expecting Rizzotti to be a "savior" just for her team to put up more of a challenge.

PostPosted: 11/13/06 12:50 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

dtsnms wrote:

Oh well. Rolling Eyes

Savior no, make some kind of adjustment when her offensive and defensive schemes were being shredded, yeah. And it isn't like she hasn't seen SV's coaching style before, nor was playing Purdue in the second round something unexpected from the day she saw the draw. I was just shocked that she was so ineffective as a bench coach, little to no adjustment of her plan of attack until the game was out of reach. And why wasn't McCage used until after the game was out of reach if she can shoot three's that way? Purdue was packing in the zone, but Rizzotti made no adjustment to that at all for 30 minutes of game time. I just thought I would see something out of her more then I did.

Michael

PostPosted: 11/13/06 1:33 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

This will sound ridiculous, but maybe Coach Rizzo thinks her team will learn more about themselves when they get routed this early in the season, compared to it happening later in the year???

I am a person that believes that we learn as much, if not more, from our mistakes and humiliations as we do from being successful most of the time.

Plus, we don't know what Coach was telling the players...they might not have been able to accomplish what she was telling them in the first place.

I have to think some very good lessons were learned. And, if it is in a tournament, then it doesn't affect anything but ego. Coach Rizzo might not want all her cards on the table this early in the year...LOL...you know, like the Russian National Team does...LOL.

PostPosted: 11/13/06 1:39 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

4ever_bball_fan wrote:
This will sound ridiculous, but maybe Coach Rizzo thinks her team will learn more about themselves when they get routed this early in the season, compared to it happening later in the year???

I am a person that believes that we learn as much, if not more, from our mistakes and humiliations as we do from being successful most of the time.

Plus, we don't know what Coach was telling the players...they might not have been able to accomplish what she was telling them in the first place.

I have to think some very good lessons were learned. And, if it is in a tournament, then it doesn't affect anything but ego. Coach Rizzo might not want all her cards on the table this early in the year...LOL...you know, like the Russian National Team does...LOL.

Please tell me you're kidding. You'd rather watch your team get blown out and hope they learn from that than win and hope they learn from that instead?

Count me as not being in that line of thinking please.

PostPosted: 11/13/06 1:51 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Hartford is not a 3-point shooting team. Schaefer is the shooter. She was 1-5 from 3. McCabe only shoots 3s, doesn't do much else, so she's only good for about 10 minutes per game.

Witt had an awful game, and Etienne is a new PG. The strenght of Hartford is Hood and Beverly inside, but there's a reason why Wisdom-Hilton and Lawless are at Purdue, while they are at Hartford. This was an awful matchup for Hartford's posts.

You want to say Rizzotti didn't adjust? Okay, I didn't see the game. I will tell you that you can't win when you're "big 3" are 7-30 from the floor. for a total of 17 points. Against Dartmouth they scored 31 points.

And I will also add that Danielle Hood is off to an AWFUL start offensively, going 2-9 against Dartmouth and 2-12 against PU. This is a player who was first team All-conference and shot over 50% from the floor last year. If she shoots like that, Hartford is going nowhere fast.

Michael

PostPosted: 11/13/06 2:20 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

dtsnms wrote:
Hartford is not a 3-point shooting team. Schaefer is the shooter. She was 1-5 from 3. McCabe only shoots 3s, doesn't do much else, so she's only good for about 10 minutes per game.

Witt had an awful game, and Etienne is a new PG. The strenght of Hartford is Hood and Beverly inside, but there's a reason why Wisdom-Hilton and Lawless are at Purdue, while they are at Hartford. This was an awful matchup for Hartford's posts.

You want to say Rizzotti didn't adjust? Okay, I didn't see the game. I will tell you that you can't win when you're "big 3" are 7-30 from the floor. for a total of 17 points. Against Dartmouth they scored 31 points.

And I will also add that Danielle Hood is off to an AWFUL start offensively, going 2-9 against Dartmouth and 2-12 against PU. This is a player who was first team All-conference and shot over 50% from the floor last year. If she shoots like that, Hartford is going nowhere fast.

Thanks, that explains a little bit. I still don't get why Rizzotti didn't at least try McCabe in the first half. If your posts are consistently getting their shots shoved back in their faces, I would think a good coach would try a different tactic. Maybe that is just me and Hartford can only do one thing well. Still not a sign of good coaching though IMHO.

Michael

Page 1 of 1

Jump to: