RebKell's Junkie Boards
Board Junkies Forums

Terps raise banner, then blast Mason, 99-43

Post new topic   Reply to topic    RebKell's Junkie Boards Forum Index » NCAA Women's Basketball - General Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
umcp77

PostPosted: 11/12/06 4:25 pm    ::: Terps raise banner, then blast Mason, 99-43 Reply Reply with quote

Quote:
COLLEGE PARK, Md.(AP) Top-ranked Maryland unfurled its national championship banner Sunday, then extended the celebration by scoring 22 consecutive first-half points in a 99-43 rout of George Mason.

Kristi Toliver had 16 points for the Terrapins (2-0), including 10 during the 22-point run that made it 43-15. Ashleigh Newman also scored 16, and Jade Perry added 15.

Maryland shot 66 percent in first half and went 6-for-10 from 3-point range in building a 50-20 lead. The margin swelled to 40 points with 13:34 left and 50 with 7:14 to go.

The blowout was a sharp contrast to the Terrapins' opener, an 80-76 struggle at Middle Tennessee on Friday.

Lateisha Wade scored 15 for the Patriots (0-1), who failed to make a basket over the final 10 minutes of the first half.

The afternoon began with a video tribute to the school's first national championship team. At the same time, still images were displayed on long white curtains that extended from the scoreboard to the center of the floor.

Then the curtains dropped, revealing the 12-foot white banner that will ultimately hang from the rafters of the arena, directly across from the red banner commemorating the men's national title in 2002.

Maryland returns all five starters from the team that last season went 34-4. Although the Terrapins were pressed on the road in the opener, their talent and depth was evident against the Patriots.

Maryland made nine of its first 12 shots and received points from five different players in taking a 21-12 lead. Crystal Langhorne was 3-for-3, including two straight layups at the outset that put the Terrapins ahead to stay.

After the Patriots closed to 21-15, Shay Doron hit a 3-pointer and scored off her own steal to begin the blitz that put Maryland in control. Toliver then connected from beyond the arc, sank a 10-footer and buried a 3-pointer.

PostPosted: 11/12/06 6:33 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

The banner ceremony was really special. Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy

Photos here:

www.dcbasketcases.blogspot.com

waterloosunset

PostPosted: 11/12/06 6:35 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

The game was never in doubt, but it was lots of fun anyway. They look great! And Jade Perry sets a mighty mean pick, huh? Very Happy

Iluvacc

PostPosted: 11/12/06 7:26 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Anyone know why Kristi sat out the second half?

CourtsideTix

PostPosted: 11/12/06 9:12 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Iluvacc wrote:

She started the game with what looked like a black compression sleeve on her left shin. Brenda took her out with about 5:30 left to play in the first half (after she'd outscored Mason all by herself), and she never returned. Sitting on the bench during the second half, she clearly had her leg wrapped in something that looked like a hot pack. The Terps certainly didn't need her back in the game, and while I don't know for sure, taking her out may just have been precautionary. While she was in, she wasn't limping or showing any signs of being injured.

xwomynjoc

PostPosted: 11/12/06 9:52 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

I hope it's just precautionary. It's the same leg that caused her to miss several games last season due to a mystrious pain after which she wore the sleeve the rest of the season. Like you said Courtside, it doesn't seem to be hobbling her any.
Smile

dwalkfan22

PostPosted: 11/12/06 11:04 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

waterloosunset wrote:
The game was never in doubt, but it was lots of fun anyway. They look great! And Jade Perry sets a mighty mean pick, huh? Very Happy

GOODNESS that was a MEAN pick!! See ladies, this is why you have to communicate with your on the court!!

PostPosted: 11/13/06 12:56 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Iluvacc wrote:

I saw this on the Examiner site today:

Quote:
Sophomore Kristi Toliver, who didn’t practice Saturday due to a leg injury aggravated against Middle Tennessee State, propelled the Terrapins (2-0) with 16 points on six of seven shooting in just 25 minutes.

I agree with everyone--she looked perfectly healthy. I won't complain if they're being overly cautious with her, it seems the smart thing to do!

Last edited by waterloosunset on 11/13/06 1:54 pm; edited 1 time in total
CourtsideTix

PostPosted: 11/13/06 1:24 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

waterloosunset wrote:
Iluvacc wrote:

I saw this on the Examiner site today:

Quote:
Sophomore Kristi Toliver, who didn’t practice Saturday due to a leg injury aggravated against Middle Tennessee State, propelled the Terrapins (2-0) with 16 points on six of seven shooting in just 25 minutes.

I agree with everyone--she looked perfgectly healthy. I won't complain if they're being overly cautious with her, it seems the smart thing to do!

Thanks Waterloo. In fact (for those who weren't there), Kristi had a far better game than the Examiner says; she played only 11 minutes, not 25.

http://umterps.cstv.com/sports/w-baskbl/stats/2006-2007/wmd1112.html

Post new topic   Reply to topic    RebKell's Junkie Boards Forum Index » NCAA Women's Basketball - General Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: