RebKell's Junkie Boards
Board Junkies Forums

State Farm Tip-Off Classic Thread
Goto page Previous  1, 2

Post new topic   Reply to topic    RebKell's Junkie Boards Forum Index » NCAA Women's Basketball - General Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Queenie

PostPosted: 11/12/06 8:36 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

I *love* the way Oklahoma works together. They pick each other up so smoothly that it's amazing. They looked quite impressive today in the second half, and it's not like DePaul is some crap program, either.

Can I have a Paris for Christmas next year? Please?

PostPosted: 11/12/06 8:56 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Just awesome for senior Chelsi Welch to go off like she did tonight - 23 pts, 6 rbs, 3 steals and a block. Yes, 6 TOs. But I still give her the Shoush Award for hustle tonight. Chelsi can be defended on to do her part, and work very hard. You won't get 23 from her every night. But she'll bring it as hard as she can every night.

Another big-hearted player is Leah Rush. Was on the wrong end of a size mismatch for most of the game. But Leah just hustles hard on both ends, every minute. 11 pts and 5 rbs.

As for Amanda Thompson, "The Waitress" was serving herself tonight, and jacked up the ball at every opportunity - 15 shots in 16 minutes. Yes, she worked the boards hard, and was one rebound shy of a double-double. But I was ready to smack her if she took another bad shot.

The OU freshman who impresses me most is Nyeshia Stevenson. She's a smooth, athletic, more in-control player than Thompson. Not flashy, but that's all right. She's smart enough to not try to do too much. Shows good maturity for a freshman.

I'm hoping this is a landmark game for Ashley Paris, and that her days of being hesitant and self-doubting are behind her. She played very loosely and confidently tonight. I think it was the best I've seen her play so far at OU - 16 pts, 5 rbs, and 4 assists.

Last edited by tag3 on 11/12/06 9:00 pm; edited 1 time in total
tag3

PostPosted: 11/12/06 8:58 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Woops - my bad

kbailey3131

PostPosted: 11/12/06 9:06 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

::looking for seat on Houts bandwagon:: Fantastic debut, I'm looking forward to seeing more of her as she cuts her way through the SEC and other major non conf opponents. I may roll through the TiVo replay of that again just to get another look see at her game today.

Congratulations for what hopefully is a breakout game for Ashley Paris. Good game all around by Oklahoma. I was SO in need for some college basketball on TV, glad the day came.

tennis2

PostPosted: 11/13/06 12:31 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

tag3 wrote:

As for Amanda Thompson, "The Waitress" was serving herself tonight, and jacked up the ball at every opportunity - 15 shots in 16 minutes. Yes, she worked the boards hard, and was one rebound shy of a double-double. But I was ready to smack her if she took another bad shot.

The OU freshman who impresses me most is Nyeshia Stevenson. She's a smooth, athletic, more in-control player than Thompson. Not flashy, but that's all right. She's smart enough to not try to do too much. Shows good maturity for a freshman.

I'm hoping this is a landmark game for Ashley Paris, and that her days of being hesitant and self-doubting are behind her. She played very loosely and confidently tonight. I think it was the best I've seen her play so far at OU - 16 pts, 5 rbs, and 4 assists.

Tag,

I am thinking that Amanda feels she has more to prove than the other freshmen. She and Abi were the big name recruits this year. Abi probably is not feeling the pressure because she is playing behind Courtney and Ashley. Amanda, on the other hand, I believe was expected to make am impact this year and get a lot of playing time. I really think she will settle down......and (I watched from a hospital room so realize you know more about really happened) didn't she miss some easy lay-ups....not just bad shots?

Glad to hear your comments about Ny. I was afraid she would try to be too flashy and not play within herself.

Agree that Ashley looked more confident.......have a feeling she and Courtney are going to get a lot of playing time together and make a formidable front court.

This game just made me more excited about the season. I really did not think they played that well......it looked like a first game of the season.....but they still showed so much potential and the team as individuals seemed so excited for each other.

bballjunkee212

PostPosted: 11/13/06 10:09 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Yeah, OU shaped up in the second half, but given the difference in ratings, we would have expected the Sooners to pull away. I'm still concerned by defensive inconsistency in the first half, when DePaul was fresh. It's a dangerous thing to start rough and get better-- against another top ten opponent, that could spell a loss.

I liked Houts too.

PostPosted: 11/13/06 10:19 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

I loved watching Houts. Prince, too.
I was really surprised that Georgia only suited up 7.

I think Amanda Thompson was trying to impress yesterday because she didn't play like that in the first two exhibitions. And I thought maybe it was because of Depaul being in her home city. Did Depaul try to recruit Thompson? I know she used to workout in their gym in the summers and probably knows many on the team.

I've seen OU typically start off slow in November, so it was refreshing to see them come out strong so early. I think that's an attribute to the 6 seniors on the team and yesterday that was Leah Rush and Chelsi Welch. Chelsi was awesome; she didn't play like that until January last year. Leah seems to have figured out how to play with Courtney and/or Ashley on the court.

Ashley Paris: OUtstanding. Ashley is the shyer one of the two and it's so good to see her playing so confidently.

Queenie

PostPosted: 11/13/06 12:37 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Also- is it just me, or does Abi Olajuwon look an awful lot like the long-lost Paris triplet? Ye gods, I think opponents are going to wake up for years with nightmares of that offensive line... er, I mean Oklahoma frontcourt.

PostPosted: 11/13/06 12:48 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Queenie wrote:
Also- is it just me, or does Abi Olajuwon look an awful lot like the long-lost Paris triplet? Ye gods, I think opponents are going to wake up for years with nightmares of that offensive line... er, I mean Oklahoma frontcourt.

More importantly, Q...does the size of these women worry you? They do look more like offensive linepersons than bball players, at least to me.

And I am not one to be critical of the "thick" at heart...but, I am wondering if their size...which makes them tough to move around in the paint...could also be an issue for longevity of career???

Abi looks to have really good hands...I was impressed the few minutes I saw her. I was having to switch back and forth to watch the MLS CHAMPION DYNAMO!!!!

Sorry, had to pimp 'em for a second.

PostPosted: 11/13/06 12:50 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Queenie wrote:

I thought the same thing, well not the offensive line part. They (Oklahoma as a team) need to start "holding the line" on defensive rebounds a lil' better then maybe you can go there.

R.I.P Shara 1993-2009
R.I.P. Taylor Bradford
KeiraNY

PostPosted: 11/13/06 1:31 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Agreed! SHe was GOOD! Too bad she's only a freshman!

Orange][Krush wrote:

Speaking of pretty good. Ashley Houts isn't looking like a freshman out there! I love her energy.

PostPosted: 11/13/06 3:14 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

I really loved watching Prince! Shes going to be a star!...How many steals did she have? like four?

4ever_bball_fan

PostPosted: 11/13/06 3:30 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Swoopes_Tompson_Comets22 wrote:
I really loved watching Prince! Shes going to be a star!...How many steals did she have? like four?

She did shine in that Rutgers line up...and I now know the proper pronunciation of E-piphany Prince.

PostPosted: 11/14/06 12:08 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

memphis10 wrote:
Queenie wrote:

I thought the same thing, well not the offensive line part. They (Oklahoma as a team) need to start "holding the line" on defensive rebounds a lil' better then maybe you can go there.

I don't think that first half was a typical one for courtney, so believe the defensive rebounding is usually better.......but not just by courtney, but by the whole team. Even though they have all their starters back, there are still different things they can and will do this year so I believe they are still gelling.

Agree about Houts and Prince......both played great. All in all the season should be exciting for fans of many teams! And that only makes it better for all of us!

Post new topic   Reply to topic    RebKell's Junkie Boards Forum Index » NCAA Women's Basketball - General Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: