RebKell's Junkie Boards
Board Junkies Forums

Maryland vs. All-Stars

Post new topic   Reply to topic    RebKell's Junkie Boards Forum Index » NCAA Women's Basketball - General Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
memphis10

PostPosted: 11/03/06 1:18 am    ::: Maryland vs. All-Stars Reply Reply with quote

It's late but I feel the need to bitch 1st. I know it won't take long before the 1 trillionith debate over how to increase attendence at wcbball games/ who has the best attendance starts, but Maryland let me give you a tip. As a reserved/ season ticket holder to Memphis mcbball, wcbball, and some grizzles games, I am the 1st one to WISH A M-F'er in my damn seat! But when you have an exhibition game with (I'm being very generous) ~600 fans attending a ~12,000 capacity arena, it would be nice to let the GA folks sit a lil' closer to the court. Now, I wasn't trying to get court side and harass Coach Frese Twisted Evil or even in the lower bowl season ticket holder section but why would the attendent get all anal when people just wanted to sit 4 rows behind the middle,lower bowl section with 10 minutes left in the 2nd half! I wasn't the only one. There were several families that experienced this as well. Families that might think twice before attending another game.

But on a brighter note, Maryland kicked ass 80-64. I remember 4 players in double figures (Doron, Coleman, Newman, and Harper) but as people know from the other nite, I have a very short attention span. The player of the game was Newman who played great. Hustled alot, made steals, rebounded, and didn't hesistate to shoot with confidence. Maryland is loaded! I can see the starting 5 all being AA. Coleman is a beast. Her outside range is fantastic, and combine that with a great touch around the rim (yes people, this woman is less than 3" from the rim.) Shocked Perry has lost some weight and is running and rebounding better. If she keeps it up, she'll give Larkins a good run for her money. Langhorne was kind of quite but was perfect from the field. With that much talent though, I guess somebody had to be quite. Confused

The band and student section was hilarious. "We love Brenda" was the fav chant. Just wish I could have gotten a lil' closer on the fun. Evil or Very Mad Evil or Very Mad Evil or Very Mad Evil or Very Mad Evil or Very Mad Evil or Very Mad Crying or Very sad Crying or Very sad Crying or Very sad Crying or Very sad Crying or Very sad Crying or Very sad Crying or Very sad

This is the 1st time I have ever been to college games outside of Tennessee, but man JPJ and CCC are two of the best arenas I have seen. They make the Roane Fieldhouse look like a crack house. And the floor/ awards in the CCC are SWEET.

Now don't worry SEC/ C-USA fans, I have not been converted into an ACC fan. Just Yet...but a couple of more games........hummmmm

R.I.P Shara 1993-2009
R.I.P. Taylor Bradford
CourtsideTix

PostPosted: 11/03/06 6:10 am    ::: Re: Maryland vs. All-Stars Reply Reply with quote

memphis10 wrote:
Now, I wasn't trying to get court side and harass Coach Frese Twisted Evil or even in the lower bowl season ticket holder section but why would the attendent get all anal when people just wanted to sit 4 rows behind the middle,lower bowl section with 10 minutes left in the 2nd half! I wasn't the only one. There were several families that experienced this as well. Families that might think twice before attending another game.

Memphis, all of the seats below about the ninth row in the lower bowl above what you (incorrectly) call the season ticketholder section are reserved seats, and many ARE held by season ticketholders. They cost a bit more. That's where you were trying to move to, and the ushers are forbidden from letting people get reserved seats who haven't paid for them. (The difference in price isn't that much, which is why we always tell people who are going to Comcast to buy the reserved seats. Sorry we didn't know you were going to be there!) That said, many ushers, at least well into the game, will let folks move down. I agree, it's often been a problem at Maryland to have so many folks up above the reserved seat line, and so many empty seats closer to the court. But if they just let people move down, what would the incentive be for folks to get reserved seats?? And wouldn't the people who did pay for them get really ticked off?

Anyway, glad you enjoyed the game and Comcast. It really is a great place to watch a game, made even greater by the Bling Bling of the Natty and a huge chunk of the Final Four Floor. And it was totally great to finally see the Terps in action again. (BTW, Alana Beard was in the house last night to watch Mystics teammate Nikki Blue on LTL. Pretty much no one noticed Beard.)

www.dcbasketcases.blogspot.com

memphis10

PostPosted: 11/03/06 9:55 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Like I said, I'm the 1st one to wish a M-F'er in my seat so I agree that there has to be an incentive for season ticket holders but 9 freakin' rows back! That just sucks to me. I started to ask about reserved seats but thought since it was an exhibition game that there wouldn't be a big difference. Man was I wrong. And I missed Alana! Damn it!

R.I.P Shara 1993-2009
R.I.P. Taylor Bradford
ripleydc

PostPosted: 11/03/06 10:35 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

The first year we got season tix for Md, we bought 8 seats (8!!!) in the "cheap seat" section. Usually only two of us went. Even though our 8 seats cost more than 2 reserved, we had the same problem...the ushers wouldn't let us move down. We hated it!!!! But, the moral of the story is that the NEXT year, we got reserved season tickets instead (but only 2!). And we keep renewing. Thanks to that crappy seating policy, we got to see the terps entire championship season up close and personal. Who knows, without those anal ushers, we might still be up there in the low rent district. Wink

swok34

PostPosted: 11/03/06 12:46 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

When I was looking at the photo's last night, it looked like the attendance at Maryland sucked with all the empty seats.

I didn't see an attendance figure reported, but I took the empty seats as "where are the fans"?

CourtsideTix

PostPosted: 11/03/06 12:54 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

swok34 wrote:
When I was looking at the photo's last night, it looked like the attendance at Maryland sucked with all the empty seats.

I didn't see an attendance figure reported, but I took the empty seats as "where are the fans"?

Maryland's average attendance last year was about 4,500/game (with a huge balloon up to about 17,000 for the Duke game). Women's bball at MD unfortunately is not a big draw among the student body, which turns out in droves to watch the men, but stays home for the women (except for several rows of great student fans). Last year, there were about 2,000 STHs. Reportedly, that number has tripled since they won the Natty. Attendance has been increasing every year since Brenda came on board. It will take time, but hopefully the number of fannies in the seats will increase.

ripleydc

PostPosted: 11/03/06 12:56 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

swok34 wrote:

none reported, as far as I know. the baltimore sun estimated the attendance at around a 1,000 --- that's probably a fair figure. washington post said 200 --- that's ridiculous! but that's the WP for you...they pay virtually no attention to the terps women (but if the terps men scratch their asses, it merits an in depth report) Confused

bullsky

PostPosted: 11/03/06 12:56 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

It was only and exhibition game. I'm sure we'll see the number grow at the start of the regular season.

PostPosted: 11/03/06 1:09 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

ripleydc wrote:
swok34 wrote:

none reported, as far as I know. the baltimore sun estimated the attendance at around a 1,000 --- that's probably a fair figure. washington post said 200 --- that's ridiculous! but that's the WP for you...they pay virtually no attention to the terps women (but if the terps men scratch their asses, it merits an in depth report) Confused

Generous ~600 and that's counting the band, ushers, janitors, food preps, and roaches. More like 300-400

R.I.P Shara 1993-2009
R.I.P. Taylor Bradford
ripleydc

PostPosted: 11/03/06 4:54 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

memphis10 wrote:
Generous ~600 and that's counting the band, ushers, janitors, food preps, and roaches. More like 300-400

not that it really matters one way or the other --- we all agree it was a really small "crowd", but you'd be surprised how 600 or 1000 people can get "lost" in an arena that seats nearly 18,000. In big arenas, the tendency is always to underestimate...whereas in small venues, eyeball estimates are often too high.

umcp77

PostPosted: 11/04/06 2:33 am    ::: Terp women's attendance Reply Reply with quote

I'm hopeful attendance will improve once the "real" games get under way (they are hyping the George Mason home opener on Nov. 12, when the national title banner will be raised). I fear fan interest may be the one thing that prevents Maryland from joining the perennial elites such as Tennessee, Connecticut and Purdue. (And as someone earlier stated, it's more the fault of the students than the general public -- hate to say it, but if Maryland hadn't faced North Carolina and Duke in the Final Four, many on campus wouldn't have cared. People in College Park are particularly paranoid about Duke to a ridiculous degree, more so because of the men's rivalry.) Then again, perhaps Terp fans just have to be patient and let the fan support build naturally.

Page 1 of 1

Jump to: