RebKell's Junkie Boards
Board Junkies Forums

Sooners Roll In Exhibition Opener 88-56

Post new topic   Reply to topic    RebKell's Junkie Boards Forum Index » NCAA Women's Basketball - General Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
swok34

PostPosted: 11/02/06 12:41 am    ::: Sooners Roll In Exhibition Opener 88-56 Reply Reply with quote

Wow, these freshmen are a fun bunch to watch.

For a while there, Sherri had all 5 in. Both Nyeshia Stephenson and Amanda Thompson are incredible and they seem to have some amazing chemistry between the two of them.

http://www.soonersports.com/ViewArticle.dbml?DB_LANG=C&SPID=193&SPORT_TAB_SEL=01&DB_OEM_ID=300&SPSID=2534&ATCLID=669348

Starters looked good, Ashley Paris has probably made the greatest improvement; Leah Rush look like she was playing her game (when last year, she seem to be trying too hard.)

Erin Higgins was held out of starting, I think she may have tweaked her knee and they didn't want to have her out there a whole lot.....
she was 4 of 4 from beyond the experimental arc.

bballjunkee212

PostPosted: 11/02/06 8:38 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

It's likely that Coale was experimenting with lineups, seeing what combinations and substitution patterns could be effective. She probably knew that Higgins would find her place- I wonder if there's a way to tell who else was on the floor in the 11 minutes Higgins played. Higgins had 12 points in 11 minutes. That's pretty good production. Abi Olajuwon, 6pts, 3rb in 7 minutes.

But other players didn't produce very much at all for the minutes they played-- that needs improvement-- just 10 points from three starting guards, who combined for 40 minutes. Three points in 20 minutes for Ashley Paris; 6 in 20 for Plumley. Other players with similar low production. That needs to change.

Other stats of note: 9 offensive rebounds with 22+ (can't tell how many missed FTs were live) missed shots. How does that happen when you know you're gonna shoot? What does that say for shot selection? (Although 60% from the floor is respectable.)

And 58% free throw shooting could loose some games.

So, good showing, I suppose, against a group of WNBA rejects who prolly aren't in top physical condition, but definitely room for improvement for a team which aspires to a Final Four berth.

PostPosted: 11/02/06 10:16 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Dang, you are a tough customer for an exhibition game.

CourtsideTix

PostPosted: 11/02/06 11:00 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

bballjunkee212 wrote:

So, good showing, I suppose, against a group of WNBA rejects

I wouldn't call Nikki Blue a "WNBA reject".... Rolling Eyes

bballjunkee212

PostPosted: 11/02/06 1:05 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

swok34 wrote:
Dang, you are a tough customer for an exhibition game.

Well, exhibition is the time to work out the kinks. Don't mistake being critical for criticism- if you see the distinction I'm trying to make. If I haven't said so before, OU is one team I have hopes for this season.

PostPosted: 11/02/06 6:00 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Whatever happened to Tennessee's Brittany Jackson? She's playing for Lake Truck, and got 2 points and 4 rebounds against the Sooners last night. She shot nothing but 3-pters, and went 0-4 from the field. Here she is, on the far left, behind OU freshman Rose Hammond.

The Sooner freshmen are fun to watch, especially Amanda Thompson, who threw some dazzling no-look passes. She wears Stacey Dales' old Sooner uniform number, and is keeping the Dales tradition of tricky dishes.

Nyeshia Stevenson was impressive, too - a fluid, athletic player. As the Sooners were leaving the court, she leaped up and gave the rim a one-handed thump. Made it look easy.

And Jenna Plumley, one of OU's future point guards, is very authorative for around five-foot-nothing, directing her new teammates like an old pro. Made a nuisance of herself on defense, too, getting a hand on several passes, and even a shot or 2.

Leah Rush played with a smile on her face much of the night. Seemed to have a ball. I think that senior is savoring every moment of her final season. *sniff*

Coach Coale said Erin Higgins didn't start because she's still not quite 100% after knee surgery this summer. But her shooting was lights-out from downtown, 4-4.

God, I'm so glad the season's begun!

bballfan2005

PostPosted: 11/02/06 6:45 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

CourtsideTix wrote:
bballjunkee212 wrote:

So, good showing, I suppose, against a group of WNBA rejects

I wouldn't call Nikki Blue a "WNBA reject".... Rolling Eyes

I might--in a few seasons...

Mathies to LA 2013
Post new topic   Reply to topic    RebKell's Junkie Boards Forum Index » NCAA Women's Basketball - General Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: